Harrisburg
✟15,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im seen groups take the writings.in Timothy about women very seriously. Scripture such as:

But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
1 Timothy 2:12 NASB

Have been taken to mean that women should not be pastor's and that they are completely subordinate to men.

I have seen other claim that this is just their culture at the time. Unfortunately, I've seen these same groups state that not believing this verses means you don't believe it to be divinely inspired. Which of course calls into question the entire Bible.

So, what are your thoughts, does this cause woman to take a back seat in Christian culture? Does not following this go against God's order? Does not believing this scripture to be more than opinion call into question more scripture?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im seen groups take the writings.in Timothy about women very seriously. Scripture such as:

But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.

Have been taken to mean that women should not be pastor's and that they are completely subordinate to men.

I have seen other claim that this is just their culture at the time. Unfortunately, I've seen these same groups state that not believing this verses means you don't believe it to be divinely inspired. Which of course calls into question the entire Bible.

So, what are your thoughts, does this cause woman to take a back seat in Christian culture? Does not following this go against God's order? Does not believing this scripture to be more than opinion call into question more scripture?

This is the uncompromised principle of the Lord:

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

This is similar to the uncompromised principle of the Lord regarding marriage, which is that there should be no divorce.

But, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard."

Men's hearts are hard. We are in a world of sin, and it's not the mission of the Body of Christ to fix the world.

In Paul's time and understanding, "teaching" was the relationship of disciple to master. The master had complete authority over the disciple, like this:

"All of you disciples, go into town and get me some food. I'll sit here at this well and talk to this woman. "

Or:

"All of you disciples, go into town and get me a donkey to ride. Then walk the donkey back to me. I'll ride it while you walk behind me."

Or:

"What did your parents name you? Simon? Nah, from now on your name is Peter."

That's what the master-disciple relationship was to Paul. Paul taught that men should not be under women in that kind of relationship and, as well, women should not be under men in that kind of relationship. Rather, men should be discipled to men and women should be discipled to women. That is a compromise to the Lord's basic principle, but it's a compromise because of sin in the world.

The same was true of slavery. But to the extent that the Body of Christ can move its practices to adhere to the Lord's principle as much as it can do so, it should.

Who argues today that Christians should continue to practice slavery because Paul did not try to wipe out slavery in the Roman empire? But Paul did warn slave-holding Christians that they and their slaves were equally the property of Jesus, and that Jesus would hold the "slaveholders" accountable for how they took care of what was really His property.

In Paul's time, he could push the Lord's principle with regard to the union of Greeks and Jews in the Body of Christ, and even that was extremely difficult.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Women are very important evangelists. Paul was instructing Timothy in pastoral duties and how he did things. But throughout his ministry he commended the women he worked with.Women teaching women is acceptable . But I have never been to a women's Bible study or conference or program that men were absent. Last year I went to a women's conference and there were a lot of men there.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,928.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Women are very important evangelists. Paul was instructing Timothy in pastoral duties and how he did things. But throughout his ministry he commended the women he worked with.Women teaching women is acceptable . But I have never been to a women's Bible study or conference or program that men were absent. Last year I went to a women's conference and there were a lot of men there.

Paul's understanding of "teaching" was a master-disciple relationship in which the master literally ruled the disciple's life--the disciple was practically a servant to the teacher. We don't even have that kind of relationship today in churches even between men.

Standing in front of a group of people that you don't have any authority over? That would not be "teaching" in Paul's vocabulary. That would be "expounding."

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
When God gave instruction on the building of the Temple, and the assigning of those who should serve and be Priests within the Temple, did God at that time mention women in the Priesthood?.....If not why not?

When Jesus chose His disciples, were there women counted within the 12?.....If no, why not?

I believe we can also go by what our example has been both by God and Jesus, as to who should be where in the Ministry.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Something that I was taught a long time ago was............
1) Did God say it?
2) Can God lie?
3) Is hell real?

A woman should not take a back seat to a man in anything. If it were not for women, most of us would not be here today.

There is a reason why men were called into the Christian ministry and not women.

Consider that there might be another factor to consider. The facts are that the disciples were not only all men, they were all Jewish, and there were exactly 12. When there were only 11, Peter said that it was necessary to bring the number back to 12 in Acts 1:22.

WHY? Why not just 11? Why not 17?

From history and the Scriptures we can understand that Jesus was forming a new people of God, and the 12 disciples represented the 12 tribes of Israel, and for that reason they had to be 12 men.
For the symbolism of this group, it was necessary for Jesus to discriminate against Gentiles and women.

Now another question would be.........."Biblically speaking can women be ordained as Pastors today"?

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll try to explain that to my wife.

You are called to treat other people in the same way you would
wish to be treated yourself. Scripture applies to you and not
to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now another question would be.........."Biblically speaking can women be ordained as Pastors today"?

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

Treat others, as you would wish to be treated yourself.
Others 101

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How to treat other people
(even....girls)
Others 101

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

Treat others, as you would wish to be treated yourself.
Others 101

I agree with you. You are speaking to the choir my friend as I am not arguing, simply posted what is and I did not say that I agree with what is. Just that it is what it is.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you. You are speaking to the choir my friend as I am not arguing, simply posted what is and I did not say that I agree with what is. Just that it is what it is.

I'm pretty sure you asked an open question, so my response should not be construed as an argument.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Paul's understanding of "teaching" was a master-disciple relationship in which the master literally ruled the disciple's life--the disciple was practically a servant to the teacher. We don't even have that kind of relationship today in churches even between men.

Standing in front of a group of people that you don't have any authority over? That would not be "teaching" in Paul's vocabulary. That would be "expounding."

What about women's discipleship?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do not have to explain it to her my brother.......She knows you.......so she already knows.
Indeed and thank you for the reminder....I was reminded as I was dragging out the trash cans this morning. ^_^

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.