United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Church was up and running.

The Catholic Church recognized the obvious fact that the Church was up and running sometime before she had any authorative writings. She also knows God knew what He was doing. Evangelicals like this writer must think God left the Church to flounder on her own until someone started writing books.

The Second Vatican Council's statement Dei verbum explains what God was doing. He made sure "that what He had revealed for the salvation of all nations would abide perpetually in its full integrity and be handed on to all generations." He did this through the Church Jesus founded.

God knew what he was doing when He founded the Catholic Church.

Continued below.
Scripture cannot be the sole arbiter of what makes a Christian

Upvote 0

Glaucus

The Lay Monk
Nov 25, 2017
The Water
✟45,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture tells us who Jesus is and gives us instruction. Even the demons know who Jesus is, and even the unbelievers can read the Scriptures. That doesn't make one a Christian, and it doesn't give one a relationship with God. Prayer and Liturgy and the Eucharist makes us Christian and gives us communion with God. Until I began to pray the Jesus Prayer without ceasing and to read and learn about such prayer, I was left hungering and thirsting for God. It is through prayer that I know God and I know that I'm a Christian. My prayer life, far more than Scripture, is what guides me in knowing God and living out his will.

Upvote 0