Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The "any moment" concept doesn't work either. Reason is because our Lord Jesus gave us specific signs to occur for the end before His coming and gathering of the Church, like God's two witnesses showing up in Jerusalem to prophesy for 1260 days, and the coming of the Antichrist.
Davy, anytime doesn't mean the same as saying "at any moment". At any moment implies a certainty that it is about to happen almost immediately.

Anytime, on the other hand, when coupled with between now and when it actually take place does not carry that same sort of meaning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
FYI, reference to Jesus "coming as a thief" is to non-believers, in 1 Thess.5, in contrast to the believer, that Paul was explaining, after teaching the rapture of the Church, in 1 Thess.4:16-17.

Quasar92

And to that I say, you need more Bible study...

Rev 16:15-17
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

KJV

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Davy, anytime doesn't mean the same as saying "at any moment". At any moment implies a certainty that it is about to happen in almost immediately.

Anytime, on the other hand, when coupled with between now and when it actually take place does not carry that same sort of meaning.

That's like Bill Clinton and the meaning of "is". I'm not even going to respond.

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are those of us who have earned our qualifications to teach the Bible as well as eschatology. Who are not in the need of being taught views of lay Christians who dogmatically hold to non-Scriptural views, or misinterpret the meaning of the Scriptures they quote. Those are our differences.

Quasar92
But that is not what the verses say, Q, that I quoted for you in Ephesians 4. Who is the "he" in verse 11, Q ?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Upvote 0

TribulationSigns

Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2017
Colorado
✟415,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
History clearly reveals who the prince was of the people who destroyed Jerusalem and the temple in 70 A.D. It was the Roman army under general Titus!

Really? (wink)

Not the "he" of verse 27, who is the Antichrist.

Ahem...

That Titus later became the Roman Emperor, is sufficient reason for his being referred to as a prince, in the Bible. Whether you accept those historic fulfillment's of history or not!

Nope. The prince "IS" the Messiah the Prince, ACCORDING TO THE CONTEXT. God did not give you the idea to add a third party as a prince here! You are reading into Scriptures!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's like Bill Clinton and the meaning of "is". I'm not even going to respond.
Davy, if you had quoted me properly instead of slight of hand changing the meaning of what I wrote - I would not have had to write anything to correct you.

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Your assumptive attempt to put words in my mouth, won't fly! History clearly reveals who the prince was of the people who destroyed Jerusalem and the temple in 70 A.D. It was the Roman army under general Titus! Not the "he" of verse 27, who is the Antichrist. That Titus later became the Roman Emperor, is sufficient reason for his being referred to as a prince, in the Bible. Whether you accept those historic fulfillment's of history or not!
Quasar92
Q, whether Titus could be considered a prince is irrelevant. Princes are not unique.

The unique importance of the person in verse 26 is not that he was the general of the Roman army. All armies have generals. That the Roman army had a general - so what?

The verse 26 is not saying there will be a general over the Roman army when it destroys the city and it sanctuary. That would be like saying the sky is blue.

The unique importance is that the verse 26 is identifying from what people the future prince who shall come - who will do the things found in verse 27.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not quite sure why you keep saying this. Israel is blinded.

It only takes a very small change in scripture to corrupt it.
This is what you have done above.
Throughout Romans 11 Paul shows that part of Israel has been blinded and part has not.

If you were correct, none of the Israelites could now come to faith in Christ.

Rom 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
Rom 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
Rom 11:3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Rom 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.
(In this verse there is a group of "they" who have rejected the Gospel, and another group of "they" who are the election, who have accepted the Gospel.)

Part of Israel is blinded and part of Israel is not blinded, as we find in Romans 9:6-8, and Romans 9:27.
Paul has not changed his mind in chapter 11.

Based on Luke 21:24-28, the times of the Gentiles ends a the Second Coming of Christ.

All of Israel in not blinded, as you are attempting to infer to make your doctrine work.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the rapture of the Church, seven years before His second coming

There is no 7 year tribulation found anywhere in the Bible.

It can be produced by adding together two of the references to the 42 month period in the Book of Revelation, or by adding an antichrist and a "gap" to Daniel 9:27, that are not mentioned in the passage.
Both are a corruption of the text.

Daniel chapter 9 is about the New Covenant Messiah, who would fulfill the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled by Christ during the first century in Hebrews 8:6-13. It is specifically applied to the Church in Hebrews 12:22-24, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-8. The Two Peoples of God doctrine and its pretrib removal of the Church fall apart once a person comes to understand the New Covenant of Christ.

The covenant with the many in Daniel 9:27 is the covenant with many in Matthew 26:28, as found in the 1599 Geneva Bible, and the scriptural notes of the NKJV Bible.

Below is a man who is "qualified" to speak the truth on Daniel chapter 9, and the fact that there is no 7 year tribulation period in the Bible.

Dr. Kelly Varner: Daniel chapter 9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Q, whether Titus could be considered a prince is irrelevant. Princes are not unique.

The unique importance of the person in verse 26 is not that he was the general of the Roman army. All armies have generals. That the Roman army had a general - so what?

The verse 26 is not saying there will be a general over the Roman army when it destroys the city and it sanctuary. That would be like saying the sky is blue.

The unique importance is that the verse 26 is identifying from what people the future prince who shall come - who will do the things found in verse 27.

The point of identifying the prince to come in Dan.9:p26, is from expositors who try to make him the Antichrist of verse 27. Capiche?!

Quasar92

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got my qualifications by STUDY in all of God's Word by The Holy Spirit and common sense, and NOT by men's traditions like a Pre-trib Rapture 'theory' that only began in the 1800's, meaning around 1,800 years after true Christian doctrine had already been established!

And I have already given the SCRIPTURE PROOF FROM GOD'S WORD that your doctrine does not align with His Holy Writ. So you can make false affirmations and attacks on my credibility all you want, but God sees it.

Would you care to explain how the Church got into heaven to be able to return WITH Jesus from their marriage in heaven, to support your credibility, as recorded in Rev.19:7-8 and 14? The second coming of Jesus, WITH THE CHURCH, is documented in the following:

The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast [For starters]

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.
12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.
13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.
14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.
16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, “Come, gather together for the great supper of God,
18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, great and small.”
19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army.
20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh."

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Davy, if you had quoted me properly instead of slight of hand changing the meaning of what I wrote - I would not have had to write anything to correct you.

When you try to do plays on words, like 'anytime' doesn't mean the same kind of thing like 'any moment', then I wouldn't have to refuse to respond to such silliness. Your statement after the fact here that you have to correct me is just as silly.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And to that I say, you need more Bible study...

Rev 16:15-17
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

16 And He gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.

17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

KJV

There is nothing in the Scriptural references you have posted that has anything whatever to do with the Church. Who are ,in heaven for thieir marriage to the Lamb/Jesus, while the tribulation takes place on earth, recorded in Rev.19:7=8. In verse 14, Jesus will return to earth in His second coming, WITH HIS CHURCH.

Tell me, how did the Church get into heaven for their marriage to the Lamb/Jesus, Davy?

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When you try to do plays on words, like 'anytime' doesn't mean the same kind of thing like 'any moment', then I wouldn't have to refuse to respond to such silliness. Your statement after the fact here that you have to correct me is just as silly.
Davy, you are welcomed to write anything you want in your own posts, but please don't take what I wrote, change it, then tear it down. You changed it because you couldn't make the argument you were presenting, otherwise.

My view is the any time rapture - not the any moment rapture.

I took the term "any time" from the bible, kjv, in the passage which Jesus was saying to escape and stand before the Son of Man.

Different from any time - "Any moment" moment is a very abbreviated amount of time, and doesn't carry the same meaning.

If I were to say - Bob will arrive at any moment to pick us up. We would be expecting his arrival to be within the next 5 or 10 minutes. In the case of the rapture, I don't know when it is going to take place, to give the impression in must happen any moment now.

Luke 21:
34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

35 For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Really? (wink)

Ahem...

Nope. The prince "IS" the Messiah the Prince, ACCORDING TO THE CONTEXT. God did not give you the idea to add a third party as a prince here! You are reading into Scriptures!

The Scriptural facts are provided below for your edification, genius:

Dan.9:24 "Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.25Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. 26And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah [the Prince] be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; [the Roman army, led by general Titus] and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate." [Parenthetics mine]

Not only a Biblical fact, but also a secular histoical fact.

Quasar92

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douggg

May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The point of identifying the prince to come in Dan.9:p26, is from expositors who try to make him the Antichrist of verse 27. Capiche?!

Quasar92
Q, the person, the prince who shall come being from the Romans, in Daniel 9:26 is there because it connects that person to the 7th king in Revelation 17:10, yet to come, being of the Julio-Claudian bloodline.

Also, it connects the person on a timeline of events, of him first coming to power, not as the Antichrist, but as the little horn, leader of the EU, who will eventually move into the middle east following Gog/Magog.

Gog/Magog is 100% concrete as the preliminary event that will set up the prince who shall come - from the EU into the middle east - to be embraced by the Jews thinking he is the promised messiah King of Israel, to lead Israel and the world into the messianic age.

Gog/Magog is 100% concrete, because Ezekiel 39:17-20 is the Armageddon feast - 7 years following the Gog feast in verse 4 and the detailed clean up of the land to verse 16.

Ezekiel 39:21, is Jesus speaking having returned to this earth, and having just laid judgment on the armies gathered to make war on him.

The Jews will think the little horn prince who shall come is their messiah because (1) many Jews who study the end of days in the Tanach believe the messianic age will follow Gog/Magog. (2) when Gog/Magog takes place and is over, all of their current enemies in the world destroyed, they will believe that messianic era peace will be possible (3) there will messiah fever in Israel (4) the little horn person - a Jew - his religion Judaism - and that he assembled his army and staged it in Greece to deter Gog/Magog, and moved his army in the middle to secure peace in the region - will meet their expectation that the messiah is supposed to fight the battles of God in defending Israel (5) and the person himself will be deluded and will play the part - i.e. coming in his own name.

To show what the Jews are expecting, I copied and pasted this from a Jewish site - excerpt from Maimonides (the Rambam)
Maimonides' Code - The Book of Judges

The Laws of Kings and Their Wars

Chapter 11

The first anointed king, who is David, rescued Israelites from their oppressors,*

and the final anointed king, who will arise from among his [David's] descendants and will [finally] rescue all Jews [initiating the Messianic era].

Last edited:
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It can be produced by adding together two of the references to the 42 month period in the Book of Revelation, or by adding an antichrist and a "gap" to Daniel 9:27, that are not mentioned in the passage.

Hi BABerean. I have to disagree with this, as there is very clearly in the text a gap between the first 69 sevens and the 70th seven... observe:

"So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.

Here we see the first 69 weeks, divided into 7 sevens and 62 sevens for reasons not necessary to go into in this context. This measures the time between the decree and the coming of the Messiah the Prince, which I believe is a clear reference to Jesus Christ.

"Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined."

Here we very clearly see a gap of time between the first 69 sevens (483 years culminating in either Jesus' baptism or His triumphal entry) and the final seven (7 years) given in the next verse. It mentions that during this gap of time the Messiah would be cut off (Jesus' crucifixion and death sometime around AD 28 or 32), and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary (AD 70). That is a gap of at least 38-42 years depending upon which chronology you use. Although the text doesn't expressly mention a longer gap, it is implied because...

"And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate."
(Dan 9:25-27)

... these events described in the 70th seven have not yet occurred. Regardless of whether you see the "he" who makes the final 7 year covenant as the Messiah the Prince or the prince who is to come, these events described have not yet taken place. No recorded historical covenant/agreement/treaty I am aware of fits.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would you care to explain how the Church got into heaven to be able to return WITH Jesus from their marriage in heaven, to support your credibility, as recorded in Rev.19:7-8 and 14? The second coming of Jesus, WITH THE CHURCH, is documented in the following:

The Heavenly Warrior Defeats the Beast [For starters]

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war.
12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.
13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God.
14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean.
15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty.
16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun, who cried in a loud voice to all the birds flying in midair, “Come, gather together for the great supper of God,
18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings, generals, and the mighty, of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all people, free and slave, great and small.”
19 Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army.
20 But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf. With these signs he had deluded those who had received the mark of the beast and worshiped its image. The two of them were thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.
21 The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh."

Quasar92

Firstly, the Revelation 19:1-9 verses are for AFTER CHRIST'S RETURN, after His gathering of the Church and His return to this earth per Zechariah 14.

Rev 19:1-9
19:1 And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:

2 For true and righteous are His judgments: for He hath judged the great harlot, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of His servants at her hand.

3 And again they said, Alleluia. And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.

4 And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God That sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia.

5 And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great.

6 And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.

7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready.

8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
KJV

All that is AFTER Christ's return.
It is showing the destruction of the Babylon harlot is PAST. So that is definitely NOT about a secret rapture prior to the tribulation. Your preachers just have you in such an emotional frenzy on the 'fly away' doctrine that it gets you skipping those Scripture time anchors and instead listening to their false time creations.

Upvote 0

Quasar92

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no 7 year tribulation found anywhere in the Bible.

Both are a corruption of the text.

Daniel chapter 9 is about the New Covenant Messiah, who would fulfill the New Covenant promised to Israel and Judah in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled by Christ during the first century in Hebrews 8:6-13. It is specifically applied to the Church in Hebrews 12:22-24, and 2 Corinthians 3:6-8. The Two Peoples of God doctrine and its pretrib removal of the Church fall apart once a person comes to understand the New Covenant of Christ.

The covenant with the many in Daniel 9:27 is the covenant with many in Matthew 26:28, as found in the 1599 Geneva Bible, and the scriptural notes of the NKJV Bible.

Below is a man who is "qualified" to speak the truth on Daniel chapter 9, and the fact that there is no 7 year tribulation period in the Bible.

Dr. Kelly Varner: Daniel chapter 9

The seven year tribulation begins with the "he" who confirms a binding agreement/covenant with many, in Dan.9:27. The "he," all three of them in that verse, is the beast out of the sea, in Rev.13:1-2, and the man of lawlessness, of 2 Thess.2:4 and 8, the Antichrist, as recorded below:

(1) ANTICHRIST: Applying the accepted rule of interpretation and observing the text for the nearest antecedent of the pronoun he (without bias or influence by other "experts"), this he most closely parallels the prince who is to comein the previous passage (Daniel 9:26). This is the conclusion reached by most conservative evangelical commentaries, who go on to identify him as the Little Horn (Antichrist) who "came up among the (10) horns" of the fourth beast (fourth kingdom ~ "Revived Rome") chapter 7 of Daniel (Da 7:8,11-note Da 7:20, 21-note).

It is interesting that both Christ and Antichrist are referred to as "prince" (synonymous with "king"), for the prefix "anti-" means the regal imposter is not only opposed to or against Christ, but "instead of" or a substitute for the real Christ.

We know that the prince's people (Rome) destroyed Jerusalem in 70 A.D., and can deduce that this coming princehas his ancestral roots in the ancient Roman Empire and is thus part of what is often referred to as "the revived Roman Empire", the final Gentile world government described in Romans 7 (see Da 7:7-note, Da 7:19-note). In the Revelation of Jesus Christ, John records this vision...

And he stood on the sand of the seashore. And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems ("ten king stage" of the beast in Da 7), and on his heads were blasphemous names. 2 And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and his feet were like those of a bear, and his mouth like the mouth of a lion (Ed: Note how this is the reverse of the sequence of same beasts in Da 7:1, 2,3, 4, 5, 6-note - John is looking back in time and sees the leopard first = Greece, bear = Medo-Persia, Lion = Babylon). And the dragon (Satan) gave him (Antichrist) his power and his throne and great authority. (Notice how the term "beast" merges subtlety from a beastly kingdom to the king of that kingdom in the latter part of the verse) (Re 13:1-note; Re 13:2-note; see also study of The Beast; and Beasts, Heads, and Horns)

(2) CHRIST: Some such as Edward Young and Phillip Mauro interpret the "He" as a reference to the Messiah primarily because the entire prophecy is about the Messiah and the premise that there is no (to use their words) "future 'prince' making a covenant with" Israel. This interpretation makes little sense because the new covenant in His blood is an everlasting covenant, not a seven year covenant and not a covenant which He will ever break. God is a covenant keeping God! How can the reference be to Christ when we have just been introduced to the prince who is to come which describes one out of the Roman empire? Christ did not come from the Roman Empire but from Israel. Furthermore, when did Christ make a firm covenant with many Jews for one week (seven year period)? And how can it be said of Christ that “in the midst of the week” He caused the sacrifices to cease? Sacrifices continued in the Temple some 40 years after Messiah was cut off, well past the 7 years of the 70th Week. Clearly, the "he" is not Christ.

Harry Ironside agrees that "He" is not the Messiah writing...

Ere closing I briefly notice a rather peculiar interpretation which is frequently given to the 27th verse. It is said that the Lord Jesus is Himself to be the prince that shall come who confirms the covenant for one week. His own crucifixion is supposed to be the event which caused the sacrifice and oblation to cease. But neither chronologically nor doctrinally will this stand for a moment, if examined in the light of other scriptures. With whom did the Lord Jesus ever confirm a covenant for seven years? His precious blood is called ”the blood of the everlasting covenant;” not a covenant for one week of years. We may rest assured it is not Messiah at all, but the blasphemous prince who is yet to come, who will fulfil what is predicted in this verse.

How near this world may be to the actual entering upon all these things no man can say, but it is the part of wisdom to learn from the prophetic Scriptures, and to turn now to Him who alone can save; to own Him as Redeemer and Lord, and thus be certain of being caught up to meet Him when He comes in the clouds, ere the time comes for His righteous judgment to be poured out upon this poor world. (Daniel - H A Ironside) (Logos) (Wordsearch)

Ray adds...

In deciding between the Messiah or the “prince to come” as the antecedent, Barnes contends “it is not reasonable to suppose that the latter is referred to, because it is said (Da 9:26) that the effect and the purpose of his coming would be to ‘destroy the city and the sanctuary.’ In other words Barnes is saying the prince is coming to make peace. He is wrong on two accounts. Da 9:26 says it is the people of the prince, not the prince himself, who execute the destruction. Too, he is implying it is reasonable to suppose the Messiah would bring about the devastation. To assume Da 9:27 deals with Christ is presumptuous, for that is the very question for which interpreters are seeking an answer. Lastly, it is not unthinkable a future leader would bring about such an agreement with Israel; people will do almost anything to have peace in the Middle East....Leupold and Keil are some of the few non-pre-millenarians who admit the “he” is the antichrist. (A Study of Daniel 9:24 - 27, Part III)

In summary, even applying the elementary grammatical rule of examination of the context for the nearest antecedent noun ("prince" in Da 9:26), there is little question that the pronoun He in Da 9:27 is the future Antichrist, the evil end times anti-Semitic leader who is known by many names in Scripture (see table). And as you review the list of the names of the Antichrist, remember that in Scripture one's name speaks of one's character.

For the complete article: Daniel 9:27 Commentary | Precept Austin

Quasar92

Upvote 0