Screening Of 'Gone With the Wind' Cancelled After Complaints Classic Film Is 'Insensitive'

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What is ESL? I looked it up but couldn't find out what it meant.

English as a Second Language. Basically, I teach immigrants how to speak English.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Thank you. I'll admit that it's made a few of my political leanings financially motivated -- Immigration is my bread and butter, after all. Even had a Syrian refugee in my class last year, but she moved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dmmesdale

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Fargo
✟74,412.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Are you suggesting that a film be given the same protections as an actual human customer?
No. Double standards. No surprise you flubbed it up. My comment was Within the sphere of private businesses and their rights. Try to keep up with context.
''Eryk said:
The Orpheum theater is a privately held business and they have the right to choose the movies they screen.''

In both cases, the business owner is not the customers slave. That goes for Christian bakers and theatre owners. Now that Obama is gone and Hillary is irrelevant maybe things will return to some semblance of normal and not catering to the kook fringe.
"Censorship" is when the government does it
Did you just pull that out of your backside? It is only censorship when the government does it? Garbage. Lets not quibble over self-serving definitions. Just admit the PC crowd is pro censorship.
- a movie theater can show any film they please -- or not.
The theatre in question has a long history of showing the film and then stopped for the stated reason of racial insensitivity. (They catered to the PC pro censorship mob) The same movement tied to the banning of the Confederate flag. Idiots wrecking statutes. Censors will never get enough. How racially sensitive does a 1930s era film expected to be or do their moral judgments take effect backward? Quote. Not mine.

''its unforgettable performances by Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, and the film’s emotional center, Hattie McDaniel, the first black performer to win an Oscar as the subversive Mammy.''

Seems they left that out in their evaluation.

Sure they don't have to show the film. Just don't go saying it is racially insensitive as the valid reason. Why pander to anti-art fools?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No. Double standards. No surprise you flubbed it up. My comment was Within the sphere of private businesses and their rights. Try to keep up with context.

Try to be relevant, and your context will be worth "keeping up with."

''Eryk said:
The Orpheum theater is a privately held business and they have the right to choose the movies they screen.''

Which is absolutely true. What it has to do with Christians refusing to do business with "homo couples" (just as some of them refused to serve "coloreds," as they called them -- among other things -- once upon a time) is irrelevant.

In both cases, the business owner is not the customers slave. That goes for Christian bakers and theatre owners.

The Orpheum theater made a choice regarding how best to serve their customers. Certain bakers used religion to (thinly) mask their contempt for "homo couples," as you call them -- could've just as easily been Muslims, or blacks, or Jews. I won't ask what you call them.

Now that Obama is gone and Hillary is irrelevant maybe things will return to some semblance of normal and not catering to the kook fringe.

Ah, I see -- Obama and Hillary are at fault for everything; I didn't realize I wandered into this thread in time for the Two Minutes' Hate.

Did you just pull that out of your backside? It is only censorship when the government does it? Garbage. Lets not quibble over self-serving definitions. Just admit the PC crowd is pro censorship.

Actually, I pulled it out of the law. If you're going to invoke the First Amendment, you might want to acquaint yourself with it.

The theatre in question has a long history of showing the film and then stopped for the stated reason of racial insensitivity. (They catered to the PC pro censorship mob)

The theater owners made a choice. They were not forced or compelled by the law to do so, the made a choice. You don't like their choice, so are you saying they shouldn't have made it? :scratch:

The same movement tied to the banning of the Confederate flag. Idiots wrecking statutes. Censors will never get enough. How racially sensitive does a 1930s era film expected to be or do their moral judgments take effect backward? Quote. Not mine.

Nevertheless, nobody forced the Orpheum theater to do anything. They made a business decision to better serve their customers. If you would stop being so emotional, perhaps you could come up with a sound business reason why they shouldn't have done so?

''its unforgettable performances by Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, and the film’s emotional center, Hattie McDaniel, the first black performer to win an Oscar as the subversive Mammy.''

Seems they left that out in their evaluation.

Good for her. Would've been nice if they'd let her sit with her co-stars when she won the award.... or even let her into the clubs afterwards to celebrate. Butthey didn't, of course.

Seems you left that out in your evaluation.

(on the plus side, it's a good thing she wasn't gay, or she'd get no sympathy... not even a show of it.)

Sure they don't have to show the film. Just don't go saying it is racially insensitive as the valid reason. Why pander to anti-art fools?

Because "anti-art fools" have money, and theirs is just as green as yours... and more plentiful.

But now you've made it clear it's not their actions you disapprove of, it's their thoughts. Is that the key to being morally superior to the "censors"?

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
"Censorship" is when the government does it -- a movie theater can show any film they please -- or not.

Not exactly.

What is Censorship?

A censor, traditionally, is an official whose job it is to examine literature, movies, or other forms of creative expression and to remove or ban anything she considers unsuitable. In this definition, censorship is something the government does. But censorship can also be accomplished very effectively by private groups.

• Agree
Reactions: dmmesdale
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not exactly.

What is Censorship?

A censor, traditionally, is an official whose job it is to examine literature, movies, or other forms of creative expression and to remove or ban anything she considers unsuitable. In this definition, censorship is something the government does. But censorship can also be accomplished very effectively by private groups.

Fair enough -- so when a business, say for example, the Orpheum theater, decides to censor itself, who does one complain to?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This has been an issue from the beginning:

Originally a dancer, Thelma "Butterfly" McQueen first appeared in film in 1939 as Prissy, Scarlett O'Hara's maid, in the film Gone with the Wind. She was unable to attend the movie's premiere because it was held at a whites-only theater.[1] Often typecast as a maid, she said: "I didn't mind playing a maid the first time, because I thought that was how you got into the business. But after I did the same thing over and over, I resented it. I didn't mind being funny, but I didn't like being stupid."[1]

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Fair enough -- so when a business, say for example, the Orpheum theater, decides to censor itself, who does one complain to?

Probably the same people one complained to when some conservative group does a write in campaign to get a TV show pulled off the air. It's really hilarious the left has become the anti-free-speech moral busybodies they used to complain about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Probably the same people one complained to when some conservative group does a write in campaign to get a TV show pulled off the air.

You mean like "Last Man Standing"? Oh, wait...

It's really hilarious the left has become the anti-free-speech moral busybodies they used to complain about.

The Orpheum Theater is now "the left"? or is this just freelance whinging?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A censor, traditionally, is an official whose job it is to examine literature, movies, or other forms of creative expression and to remove or ban anything she considers unsuitable.
The FCC regulates the airwaves. If someone wants to complain about the content of something on TV they can file a complaint with the FCC. There are things that I object to and I will file a complaint. The process is slow but I think it is effective to remove things that we find objective. For example if I see two guys kissing on TV I will complain and eventually they will get enough complaints and that sort of behavior will be banned. If no one complains, like the sort of stuff you see on the Jerry Springer show. Then they will go right on doing what they are doing. As Christians we are to be a restraining or a restrictive force in the world. That is why we have to be raptured or removed from the world before God can judge the world for it sin and transgressions.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Nah, like that tv show The Book of Daniel.

Never heard of it. Should I have?

I wasn't talking about the theater. I was laughing at the new puritanical left.

Then you're in the wrong thread. This is a about a business decision made by the Orpheum Theater. Crying towels are down the hall to the right.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Never heard of it. Should I have?

Then you're in the wrong thread. This is a about a business decision made by the Orpheum Theater. Crying towels are down the hall to the right.

I'm not laughing so hard I'm crying. Anyhow, I sort of made this thread. :pciuu:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Orpheum Theater is now "the left"? or is this just freelance whinging?

I believe it would be the complainers (whingers, as you'd say) mentioned in the thread title. It's usually those on the Left who complain about someone not being sensitive.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I believe it would be the complainers (whingers, as you'd say) mentioned in the thread title. It's usually those on the Left who complain about someone not being sensitive.

And you who complain about businesses choosing to comply -- what does that make you?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
And you who complain about businesses choosing to comply -- what does that make you?

I notice you're never happy with any of the responses you get, but...
Like I said, the complainers mentioned in the thread were the ones complaining about the movie itself being "insensitive". What you're doing at this point is attempting to deflect attention away from that fact.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I notice you're never happy with any of the responses you get, but...

... clearly I need to find people who give better responses. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Like I said, the complainers mentioned in the thread were the ones complaining about the movie itself being "insensitive".

And what should a business do when the public complains?

What you're doing at this point is attempting to deflect attention away from that fact.

I can't possibly be the only one who sees the irony in complainers in a thread complaining about complainers. :wave:

Upvote 0