Screening Of 'Gone With the Wind' Cancelled After Complaints Classic Film Is 'Insensitive'

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Both the original book and the film are products of the attitudes of that very America -- decades before, as you put it, "all the over sensitivity over skin color" happened. And it shows.

In fact, even then, both works were criticized as attempts to whitewash (no pun intended) the unpleasantness of slavery.

I'm a little surprised you didn't know that... but just a little.

Do you always listen to what the critics say? Everyone and everything is going to have critics. Doesn't make what they say accurate.

I think he didn't want bad publicity.

Why is violence the only thing you can think of?

It's not the only thing I can think of. But when it comes to the hypersensitive when it comes to skin color....well, you know:
1463812096285.jpg

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Do you always listen to what the critics say? Everyone and everything is going to have critics. Doesn't make what they say accurate.

Do you think GWtW accurately portrayed slavery?

It's not the only thing I can think of.

Nevertheless, it's the only thing you thought the business owners were afraid of. Project much?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you think GWtW accurately portrayed slavery?

Does it really matter what I think? I wasn't alive during the time of slavery, and neither were you or any member of Antifa or BLM or any of the whiners who protest a movie made in 1939. What slavery was actually like could only be accurately portrayed by those who lived in that time period, and even then, there would be accounts that would vary from one person's experiences to another. Do you agree with that?

Nevertheless, it's the only thing you thought the business owners were afraid of. Project much?

It is? Talk about projection! :sigh: BLM and their kind have already shown that it's what they think of.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Does it really matter what I think?

It does. We can use it to help gauge how accurate those critics were -- assuming you can answer the simple little question.

I wasn't alive during the time of slavery, and neither were you or any member of Antifa or BLM or any of the whiners who protest a movie made in 1939.

There are marvelous inventions in the realm known as "books," from which one can learn about things that happened before you were alive... fascinating things, really.

What slavery was actually like could only be accurately portrayed by those who lived in that time period, and even then, there would be accounts that would vary from one person's experiences to another. Do you agree with that?

Indeed -- fortunately, through the magic of those "books" I just told you about, we do indeed have an accurate portrayal.

About this Collection - Born in Slavery: Slave Narratives from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1938

Fascinating things, books. They help people learn.

So, armed with new knowledge, do you think the film accurately portrayed slavery?

(You have seen the film, haven't you?)

It is? Talk about projection! :sigh: BLM and their kind have already shown that it's what they think of.

Besides your own fear, what makes you think the theater owners were afraid?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It does. We can use it to help gauge how accurate those critics were -- assuming you can answer the simple little question.

Amazing! You're actually saying that what I think helps gauge how accurate the critics were about something that happened long ago before I was born.
Ok, I'll bite. I'll say "no". There, now the critics of the film just became less accurate.
It's a little scary when a person's opinion long after a fact determines truth in the minds of people on the Left. I pray that 9th graders aren't being taught in school that their opinion dictates truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I'll bite. I'll say "no". There, now the critics of the film just became less accurate.

Actually, you've compared the critics' words with your own knowledge and found that you're in agreement.

Who told you that it would make them more or less accurate? How odd.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Actually, you've compared the critics' words with your own knowledge and found that you're in agreement.

Who told you that it would make them more or less accurate? How odd.

Someone who doesn't remember what they said just yesterday:

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Someone who doesn't remember what they said just yesterday:

Said to someone who clearly doesn't know the meaning of gauging accuracy and creating it.

The best way to determine whether or not something is accurate (some might argue the only way) is to see how it measures up to one's own knowledge and experience.

You don't do this? How odd.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Said to someone who clearly doesn't know the meaning of gauging accuracy and creating it.

The best way to determine whether or not something is accurate (some might argue the only way) is to see how it measures up to one's own knowledge and experience.

You don't do this? How odd.

My own knowledge and experience says that the critics were wrong in their evaluation of GWTW. Happy?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My own knowledge and experience says that the critics were wrong in their evaluation of GWTW. Happy?

Yes. Your own knowledge and experience tell you that the critics who accused GWTW of whitewashing the unpleasantness of slavery were wrong... even though we already agreed (assuming you were serious at the time) that the film's depiction of it was inaccurate.

Perhaps some other thread might present you the opportunity to determine -- based on your own knowledge and experience, of course -- whether or not slavery was even all that unpleasant to begin with? I know, as you already said, "you weren't alive at the time," (#203) so don't feel the need to go out on a limb should the opportunity present itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps some other thread might present you the opportunity to determine -- based on your own knowledge and experience, of course -- whether or not slavery was even all that unpleasant to begin with?

I'm sure different slaves had different experiences based on the treatment from whoever their master was at the time and how they were treated by them. Most depictions today are of the angry, drunk white guy with a whip. But that's about as accurate as saying that all employers who work for wages today are mean and unreasonable. Perhaps a tiny percentage of them were like that, but certainly not anywhere near the majority.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure different slaves had different experiences based on the treatment from whoever their master was at the time and how they were treated by them. Most depictions today are of the angry, drunk white guy with a whip. But that's about as accurate as saying that all employers who work for wages today are mean and unreasonable. Perhaps a tiny percentage of them were like that, but certainly not anywhere near the majority.

Surely though -- based on your own knowledge and experience, as always -- there were enough unpleasant examples to declare the institution of slavery in general as at least "unpleasant"?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Surely though -- based on your own knowledge and experience, as always -- there were enough unpleasant examples to declare the institution of slavery in general as at least "unpleasant"?

Sure enough--based on the books you speak so glowingly about (#204), slavery was no doubt unpleasant. However, there are many who didn't do as well when free than when they were slaves. How the end of slavery led to starvation and death for millions of black Americans

A similar thing happened when the way of life in the old Soviet Union (communism) collapsed and the people there became "free". They were so used to the old way that they didn't know what to do with their new freedom. Sort of like a pet bird who actually sees his cage as a refuge from the dangers of the world rather than a prison. You could release the bird into the wild, but he wouldn't survive, not having been used to being free--and responsible for his own survival.

If you do enough reading (something you claim to do), you'll discover many things about slavery that you don't know, but would learn if you don't just rely on the movies. Here's a good start: FACT CHECK: 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sure enough--based on the books you speak so glowingly about (#204), slavery was no doubt unpleasant. However, there are many who didn't do as well when free than when they were slaves. How the end of slavery led to starvation and death for millions of black Americans

Indeed, there were many who profited from the slave trade, meaning of course that they suffered when they were forced off the gravy train. Your sympathy for them is... interesting.

A similar thing happened when the way of life in the old Soviet Union (communism) collapsed and the people there became "free". They were so used to the old way that they didn't know what to do with their new freedom. Sort of like a pet bird who actually sees his cage as a refuge from the dangers of the world rather than a prison. You could release the bird into the wild, but he wouldn't survive, not having been used to being free--and responsible for his own survival.

It's been said (which I don't personally believe, but find interesting nonetheless) that the reason Moses kept the Hebrews wandering the desert for 40 years was for the older generations -- the ones that lived as slaves -- to die off for precisely this reason. They would've been unprepared for the responsibilities that would come with their new freedom. Only the subsequent generation -- the ones who were born free, but nomadic -- would be socially and psychologically prepared for "freedom."

If you do enough reading (something you claim to do), you'll discover many things about slavery that you don't know, but would learn if you don't just rely on the movies. Here's a good start: FACT CHECK: 9 Facts About Slavery They Don't Want You to Know

All of which are interesting, especially the true ones. I would like (though not necessarily expect) to see a connection between this and the issue of Hollywood whitewashing slavery, members of the public requesting a theater not to be party to it any more, and the Orpheum Theater's decision to comply.

Of course, as I've said before, we must remember that Gone With the Wind was screened at the theater this year -- on the very same day as the Charlottesville "alt" right rally which ended in violence and murder. An unfortunate coincidence, of course -- but it makes the theater's decision to retire the film all the more prudent.

The same time next year, people will be marking the anniversary of the deaths of Heather Heyer, Lieutenant H. Jay Cullen, and Trooper Berke M. M. Bates, who all died -- directly and indirectly -- as a result of Nazis, Klansmen, and White Supremacists. Gone With the Wind might not be the most appropriate film to screen during that time. It'll seem like bad taste.

That's a sound business decision right there -- if I owned a theater, and wanted to host, say, a middle Eastern Film Festival, I wouldn't want to schedule it anytime around 9/11. Similarly, the film Heathers, a very witty dark comedy about teen murder (which includes a plot by the film's villain to blow up a high school, killing the entire student body) probably shouldn't be shown on the anniversary of Columbine... or Virginia Tech... or Sandy Hook...

Incidentally, I know this question got lost in the shuffle -- have you ever seen Gone With the Wind? I don't just mean parts of it while channel surfing; the whole film, beginning to end? It's been a while for me; I'm tempted to dig it out of my collection and screen it tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
So the OP is about offended that a movie theater doesn't want to run a movie that came out 78 years ago anymore. A movie that runs at least one a year on one of the cable networks in North America?

Yeah....how dare they not show a movie that's likely older then most of CF's members are anymore. It's an American classic that can't be found in other ways, can it? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
So the OP is about offended that a movie theater doesn't want to run a movie that came out 78 years ago anymore. A movie that runs at least one a year on one of the cable networks in North America?

Yeah....how dare they not show a movie that's likely older then most of CF's members are anymore. It's an American classic that can't be found in other ways, can it? :rolleyes:
Indeed, if this theater doesn't show it, it'll be lost forever!

I suspect that some of our friends on the forum would, if they ran the theater, pull GWtW and replace it with something they considered more appropriate -- The Birth of a Nation, or perhaps a minstrel show.

• Agree
Reactions: Targaryen
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Just as a gay couple getting "married" can't get their cake in other ways other than from a Christian baker? Oops! :eek:
Yeah, make sure you are consistent in your logic.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Just as a gay couple getting "married" can't get their cake in other ways other than from a Christian baker? Oops! :eek:
Yeah, make sure you are consistent in your logic.

Hmm, one is a a jump in logic made by you.

The other is a non-story about a 78 year old film that is constantly shown on TV.

I wonder why you are complaining about my consistency when you are jumping at topics out of the blue?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed, if this theater doesn't show it, it'll be lost forever!

If a gay couple couldn't get their cake from a Christian baker, they would never be able to get one!

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟649,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, one is a a jump in logic made by you.

The other is a non-story about a 78 year old film that is constantly shown on TV.

I wonder why you are complaining about my consistency when you are jumping at topics out of the blue?

Just thought you'd like to see an example of atheist hypocrisy.

Upvote 0