Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK, So I have a screened lanai on the back of my house. The top 3/4 is screen and the bottom is an aluminum panel. The issue is that when it rains a LOT the water seeps through the bottom into the lanai. It also comes through the screen, but that is another matter. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to seal it properly? Further it leaks under the bottom aluminum cross post, but with enough caulk that should be pretty simple to seal.

The panels are inside the aluminum posts, I have tried sealing around with roofing caulk, but that did not do enough. I have thought about cutting new panels of aluminum or pressure treated wood and screwing that on the outside of the posts and sealing with window caulk or something.....can anyone offer any ideas? I am fairly handy but not experienced.

Reactions: D.A. Wright

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, So I have a screened lanai on the back of my house. The top 3/4 is screen and the bottom is an aluminum panel. The issue is that when it rains a LOT the water seeps through the bottom into the lanai. It also comes through the screen, but that is another matter. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to seal it properly? Further it leaks under the bottom aluminum cross post, but with enough caulk that should be pretty simple to seal.

The panels are inside the aluminum posts, I have tried sealing around with roofing caulk, but that did not do enough. I have thought about cutting new panels of aluminum or pressure treated wood and screwing that on the outside of the posts and sealing with window caulk or something.....can anyone offer any ideas? I am fairly handy but not experienced.

What To Do About Leaks on Screen Enclosures and Aluminum Roofs

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you think you can find the source of the leak yourself, here is a way to fix the problem yourself:

https://www.hunker.com/12616996/the-best-ways-to-seal-a-leaky-patio-roof3

However, please be careful with ladders, and make sure the structure of the roof is safe. More importantly, pray for direction on where to go with your water leak issue. Should you hire a pro, or do it yourself? God should help to give you the best answer on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I solved these kinds of problems by moving to central Pennsylvania. It was pretty expensive, but it worked! lol
Alas, now I have equally challenging, but different problems.
Can anyone recommend a good, cordless electric snowblower?
(Hope a little humor isn't amiss here)

• Haha
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I solved these kinds of problems by moving to central Pennsylvania. It was pretty expensive, but it worked! lol
Alas, now I have equally challenging, but different problems.
Can anyone recommend a good, cordless electric snowblower?
(Hope a little humor isn't amiss here)

I remember snow blowing my turn around driveway up North (almost every day in the winter). If I ever had to move back up North, I would invest in a used pickup truck (suitable for snowplows) and put a snow plow on it. Snow blowing and shoveling gets old or cold or whatever which way you want to look at it. They also have heated driveways nowadays, too. This is more feasible if you are building your new home on a new land (seeing it cost extra money to get rid of your old driveway to put in a new heated one).

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you think you can find the source of the leak yourself, here is a way to fix the problem yourself:

https://www.hunker.com/12616996/the-best-ways-to-seal-a-leaky-patio-roof3

However, please be careful with ladders, and make sure the structure of the roof is safe. More importantly, pray for direction on where to go with your water leak issue. Should you hire a pro, or do it yourself? God should help to give you the best answer on this.

Thank you for the tips. I will give this a try and see if we can get some results. Ultimately I would like to replace the screens with vinyl windows for a more usable outdoor room, but first I have to tackle this issue.

Fortunately God has provided me a great contractor I can call to help if needed, but first I want to see if I can do it myself. :)

Upvote 0

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember snow blowing my turn around driveway up North (almost every day in the winter). If I ever had to move back up North, I would invest in a used pickup truck (suitable for snowplows) and put a snow plow on it. Snow blowing and shoveling gets old or cold or whatever which way you want to look at it. They also have heated driveways nowadays, too. This is more feasible if you are building your new home on a new land (seeing it cost extra money to get rid of your old driveway to put in a new heated one).
I bought a 15-year-old rancher on an acre+ 2 years ago and the driveway looks pretty new (I'd say 5 years at the outside) so I'd say the heated option ship has sailed, but the used pickup idea is definitely on the radar. :wave:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I bought a 15-year-old rancher on an acre+ 2 years ago and the driveway looks pretty new (I'd say 5 years at the outside) so I'd say the heated option ship has sailed, but the used pickup idea is definitely on the radar. :wave:

Top 10 Light-Duty Trucks & SUVs for Plowing [2019]
(Best vehicles in general are Toyota - IMO).
(You can do a search at Google for a cheap Toyota Tundra, or cheap Toyota Tacoma).

As for snow plows:
You can buy a cheap one or an expensive one.
What Everybody Ought To Know Before Purchasing a Snowplow

Some dealerships charge a lot for installation of the snowplow, but there are other places that may do it way cheaper.

The good news is that you can make up for the money on your investment by plowing driveways in your area.

Note: Make sure you pray before you actually buy the truck and the snow plow. Ask God if this is the right truck and plow for you and your needs.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the tips. I will give this a try and see if we can get some results. Ultimately I would like to replace the screens with vinyl windows for a more usable outdoor room, but first I have to tackle this issue.

Fortunately God has provided me a great contractor I can call to help if needed, but first I want to see if I can do it myself. :)

Make sure you pray first before you do anything. Then go ahead with what God is directing you to do, brother.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0