Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just come back from a suspension for using 'laughing' smilies on creationist posts only to see the Scotty Kilmer thread closed. So sad - I was going to ask about his "anthropology degree" and how that grants him authority on evolution.

I will not watch his videos, but a simple google got me this:

" I was doing my Phd in anthropology at U of I waay back in the seventies. I was writing about a motorcycle gang I rode with."​

Typical.

You see, Scotty fans, Anthropology is a BIG field. Physical (or biological) anthropology is the sub-field of anthropology that delves into evolution.

Given Scotty's admission above, it looks pretty obvious that he was in some kind of Cultural Anthropology program and potentially could have never even had a class on evolution, much less studied it in any detail.

But I'm sure he tries to throw that around when dismissing evolution, and creationists gobble that phony authority up...

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,294.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I just come back from a suspension for using 'laughing' smilies on creationist posts only to see the Scotty Kilmer thread closed. So sad - I was going to ask about his "anthropology degree" and how that grants him authority on evolution.

" I was doing my Phd in anthropology at U of I waay back in the seventies. I was writing about a motorcycle gang I rode with."​

Typical.

You see, Scotty fans, Anthropology is a BIG field. Physical (or biological) anthropology is the sub-field of anthropology that delves into evolution.

Given Scotty's admission above, it looks pretty obvious that he was in some kind of Cultural Anthropology program and potentially could have never even had a class on evolution, much less studied it in any detail.

But I'm sure he tries to throw that around when dismissing evolution, and creationists gobble that phony authority up...
Not shocked.

It's not the normal Creationist video, it's literally only him restating a few points about evolution, laughing, then rejecting it.

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Typical.

He was doing a PhD but came out with a Masters? What happened....?

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,294.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
That happens all the time.

Research turns out not novel enough, or someone else publishes on a very similar topic then it's no longer valid as a doctorate, but good enough for a master's degree.

Also it could have a been a series of papers published towards a PhD strung together as a master's thesis.

Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That happens all the time.

Research turns out not novel enough, or someone else publishes on a very similar topic then it's no longer valid as a doctorate, but good enough for a master's degree.

Also it could have a been a series of papers published towards a PhD strung together as a master's thesis.
Oh I know. My wife had the same problem - somebody published something very similar 6 months before she did. Bye-bye doctorate :(

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,294.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Oh I know. My wife had the same problem - somebody published something very similar 6 months before she did. Bye-bye doctorate :(
That's so sad. I'm sure so much work must have felt wasted. :(

Did she continue in academia?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Flunked out of the program is also a distinct possibility... In my graduate program, if you were on the PhD track and failed your qualifying exams, you could finish up your current work and earn a terminal MS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Credentialism and authority are important aspects of Creationist arguments.
As long as you are on their side, of course. It is so cute to read their essays wherein they hawk the degrees of their heroes, and are sure to refer to them as 'Dr.', while referring to evolutionary biologists only by their last names.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not shocked.

It's not the normal Creationist video, it's literally only him restating a few points about evolution, laughing, then rejecting it.
So, standard creationist stuff. But boy, it sure seemed to impress a couple of YECs on here..

• Agree
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0