USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
He gave doctors knowledge. I promise you a doctor didn't just show up at my front door one day - decide to treat me free of charge. I'm not wanting a doctor to patch my issues,I'm wanting god to heal my issues so I don't need a doctor to begin with.

While that would be nice, God doesn't necessarily answer our prayers the way we want Him to.

• Haha
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,532.00
Faith
Atheist
While that would be nice, God doesn't necessarily answer our prayers the way we want Him to.
He seems careful to make His answers to prayers indistinguishable from no answers at all...

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He gave doctors knowledge. I promise you a doctor didn't just show up at my front door one day - decide to treat me free of charge. I'm not wanting a doctor to patch my issues,I'm wanting god to heal my issues so I don't need a doctor to begin with.

We don't get to dictate things to God. We are to serve Him, not the other way around.

• Haha
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Think of the movie "the exorcism of Emily rose" for a minute. Watching that makes me think of my own situation in a way. I'm a firm believer in God. I don't really associate myself with any "main stream" religion bc I believe our own walk with. God is personal. So I've asked my god to heal my mind & heal me from severe depression,anxiety,& PTSD. I've been through alot in a short amount of time. anyway,none of the meds I've been given work so far. I've tried every non narcotic there is. My doctor explains gently I have chemical imbalances in my brain. Ok then. However,as a believer,I also know that the enemy,Satan Lucifer. Or whomever,can attack you at your weakness especially if your trying to live by the book. So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this? Can't he control the imbalances in my head? Or do I need stronger meds? Is science or God I'm needing to rely on more? When does it stop being a medical problem & start becoming a spiritual one? No preacher or doctor can give me a straight answer. I wish I knew
i think that we can prove by science that god exist. so its a scientific argument.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
i think that we can prove by science that god exist. so its a scientific argument.
You wish we could prove by science that God exists. But the existence of God is a scientifically unfalsifiable proposition which can only be known by faith.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TBDude65

Fossil Finder (TM)
Dec 26, 2016
Tennessee
✟26,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Science and medicine can show evidence and trials to support their claims. So utilizing medicine and methods that have been shown to help people with mental health issues, is a positive thing.

Also, please listen to your doctor

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Think of the movie "the exorcism of Emily rose" for a minute. Watching that makes me think of my own situation in a way. I'm a firm believer in God. I don't really associate myself with any "main stream" religion bc I believe our own walk with. God is personal. So I've asked my god to heal my mind & heal me from severe depression,anxiety,& PTSD. I've been through alot in a short amount of time. anyway,none of the meds I've been given work so far. I've tried every non narcotic there is. My doctor explains gently I have chemical imbalances in my brain. Ok then. However,as a believer,I also know that the enemy,Satan Lucifer. Or whomever,can attack you at your weakness especially if your trying to live by the book. So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this? Can't he control the imbalances in my head? Or do I need stronger meds? Is science or God I'm needing to rely on more? When does it stop being a medical problem & start becoming a spiritual one? No preacher or doctor can give me a straight answer. I wish I knew

Science and God is a false dichotomy. Science is not mutually exclusive to God.

If you are relying on science more than God, that would be idolatry. That is not to say that science in and of itself is evil or there is no place for science. But when a person puts science higher than God, or relies on science and not God, that is idolatry.

• Haha
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
The mind is the product of the brain, and a disordered brain will give rise to a disordered mind. There are various reasons the brain can be disordered - its pathways could have been consciously programmed to be so by the consciousness, or if the fundamental materials which makes up the brain are faulty or deficient in some way.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

I think you're framing the question incorrectly. It's not an either/or proposition between God and science. Virtually every Christian alive would take antibiotics to help become healed from a life threatening infection.

As others have already noted, I would also strongly encourage you to seek professional scientific help rather than trying to resolve everything by yourself. Chemical imbalances can be cured or at least controlled and well moderated with the *right* medicine for you. Different individuals can have very unique reactions to various drugs. If your doctor has already suggested to you that this could be an issue in your case, I'd follow his advice and seek some help. Sometimes finding the right drug for your condition can be a bit of a trial and error process simply because different individuals react differently to the same drug.

Reaching out to others "spiritually" is a good start, but most of us on this forum are not experts. Some expert help might be useful to you at this point in your life.

I would also point out that Jesus asked his father in the garden of Gethsemane if the burden before him might be lifted if that was his father's will, but Jesus was crucified the next day. I'm sure that God heard his prayers, but God had an important plan for Jesus. We don't always know why things happen to us as they do, but I firmly believe that God has a very important plan for each of us, even if we don't understand it at the time. IMO if you're going to focus 'spiritually' on anyone outside of yourself, let it be Christ and nothing but Christ. Fear only breeds fear, and Christ was all about love, not fear.

I'd really encourage you to stay positive, and seek some real scientific help on more than just a few cyber forums. Your doctor has some insights about you medically that are worth listening to, and acting on in terms of "science" and scientific help IMO.

You can seek help both spiritually and biologically at the same time. It's not an either/or proposition.

God bless.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

"Give doctors the honor they deserve, for the Lord gave them their work to do. Their skill came from the Most High, and kings reward them for it. Their knowledge gives them a position of importance, and powerful people hold them in high regard.

The Lord created medicines from the earth, and a sensible person will not hesitate to use them.
" - Sirach 38:1-4

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Servantleader

Jul 21, 2017
Pasadena
✟15,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for your transparency. As one who has witnessed the healing of minds and bodies under the power of the name of Jesus and not dependence on meds, I can testify to the power of God to be sovereign over the illnesses in our minds. I encourage you to press into your faith of God's mighty power to save and restore. I pray that the Holy Spirit begins to reveal to you the next steps to fight the enemy over your mind. In your time of healing, I hope that you are reminded that God has innumerable ways to heal you. I pray that your heart and eyes are open as you take your next steps. He is the greatest Healer of all. Be encouraged in Jesus name.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A child wants candy but dad refused to give it to him.
The child knows clearly that his dad does not give him candy.
But could the child understand WHY? Obviously he can not.
However, should the child trust (obey) his dad?
If the child said, OK, you don't give me candy, I will go to someone else who would. Is he still a good son to his father?

You belief in God. But do you trust God as a child trusts his dad?

Problem with that analogy is that if a child says they need to talk to their dad, the dad will sit down and listen to them and they'll have a nice conversation if the man is a good father. Saying the same thing to God through prayer and it's like you're just talking to yourself or the ceiling, never an explicit two-way conversation, and at best it's like a dad saying he always will have his phone on to call him and he'll answer, but it always goes to voice mail and never calls back.

And I say that as a Catholic.

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this?
Some options might be:

God exists, but doesn't like you.
God exists, and enjoys watching you suffer.
God exists, but doesn't know who you are.
God exists, but acts like he doesn't.
God exists, but is unable to do anything about your health.
God doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If you've tried doctors and medicine to no avail, you may concider visiting a local church and explaining the situation and asking for prayer and laying on of hands, can't hurt, but it takes bold faith sometimes. Continue being faithful in all you do and God will restore you and others through you, just like Jesus.

You are his daughter and he has good plans for you even though you can't see it now :)

• Winner
Reactions: Crystalp8
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Problem with that analogy is that if a child says they need to talk to their dad, the dad will sit down and listen to them and they'll have a nice conversation if the man is a good father. Saying the same thing to God through prayer and it's like you're just talking to yourself or the ceiling, never an explicit two-way conversation, and at best it's like a dad saying he always will have his phone on to call him and he'll answer, but it always goes to voice mail and never calls back.

And I say that as a Catholic.

You shift the goal post. You are now talking about how to communicate with God.

Obviously it is a part of trust or faith building. But to God, we usually need to have faith first (that is the goal in this thread), then learn how to communicate. This is in reverse to the human-human situation.

Upvote 0