Jun 26, 2017
✟25,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Think of the movie "the exorcism of Emily rose" for a minute. Watching that makes me think of my own situation in a way. I'm a firm believer in God. I don't really associate myself with any "main stream" religion bc I believe our own walk with. God is personal. So I've asked my god to heal my mind & heal me from severe depression,anxiety,& PTSD. I've been through alot in a short amount of time. anyway,none of the meds I've been given work so far. I've tried every non narcotic there is. My doctor explains gently I have chemical imbalances in my brain. Ok then. However,as a believer,I also know that the enemy,Satan Lucifer. Or whomever,can attack you at your weakness especially if your trying to live by the book. So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this? Can't he control the imbalances in my head? Or do I need stronger meds? Is science or God I'm needing to rely on more? When does it stop being a medical problem & start becoming a spiritual one? No preacher or doctor can give me a straight answer. I wish I knew

Rodo7777777

Jun 26, 2017
PNW
✟16,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can only share with you what God has done for me, in hopes that it will cause you to look to him. I met Jesus in the 1970's I had a rare and dramatic conversion (at least that is what Christians tell me).

But by the end of 75 I had accidentally disobeyed a spoken word... Let me explain.

I had gone to visit a dearly loved Christian brother, he was like a father to me. He and his wife were like my spiritual parents. Anyway the weekend I went to see him, his wife was gone away to school for 3 weeks. He was so lonely for company, he asked me to go to dinner with him

Immediately the Lord spoke (just like hearing someone standing next to you, and speaking to you, but no one else hears it) and the Lord said "do not go". Immediately I told Bob "I can't go" he said "Oh Rod please go with me, I don't want to eat alone".

Now this restaurant served liquor, and I thought that was what the Lord was worried about. So I said "Oh Lord you know me I don't drink"... So off we go to the restaurant.

Soon after we get there, a brother who was really struggling with alcohol, came into the restaurant, his name was Augie, he immediately started proclaiming we didn't like him because he was puerto rican, We claimed that was silly, and not true.

Well this started a fight, I was just a kid, and he took a swing at me, Bob stepped in between and got hit, they were fighting. I couldn't believe it, and couldn't watch it. I started to walk away, but when I did Bob felt betrayed, and said "If you walk, you might as well go all the way home". Oh man that cut like a knife.

The next morning I had to leave, but the Lord spoke and said "tell Bob you forgive him, and give him a hug". But I refused, I said "Lord I can't, it hurts to bad". So I left for home 3000 miles away.

Oh man, when I got home, what a mess I created. My life seemed to fall apart. I felt like Hudson Taylor the missionary to China, who said one day sin and troubles became so apparent, so overwhelming he didn't know what to do. Well that was me, sin and lust in total control, and it just wouldn't let up, nor let me go.

I spent (30+) years in this sin and a spiritual wilderness that seemed God had died or left me completely alone, as if He hated me for disobeying Him. (Of course none of this was true, I know that now). I was crushed, I confessed my sins to God and anyone who would listen. I felt for sure I was on my way to hell.

I even fasted for 30 days one time, I wrote men of God, I cried, shouted, pleaded with God, got angry, desperate, I just can't share enough what this did to me. The silence was killing me.

But I continued on, working, raising my family, going to school, going to church, tithing, and nothing helped.

UNTIL one day Jesus shows up, His presence so real you though he was going to appear bodily. And then He spoke....It happened like this.

So one day I'm driving, and lusting. I cry out to God, where are you, why aren't you helping me with this!

All of a sudden I hear this statement "why don't you tell me the truth". I say "what truth"…Then my understanding is opened and I SEE!

I say OK Lord… "I don't want you to interfere, I love my sin and while I'm troubled about it, I don't want you to interfere" leave my sin alone.

Do you know what happened? I somehow forgot all those thoughts about sin and lust, if they came back I would confess this new found truth and somehow my mind would be distracted again.

This went on for a few days, and then I found myself free.

This reminds me of a guy named Tommy Williams from the 70's…A brother walks up to Tommy complaining that he can't stop smoking.

Tommy says "brother when Jesus is ready for you to stop, then you will. A few days later that brother was so excited, because he found himself free a few days later.

NOW what does all of this show me…

It shows me we do NOT know truth UNTIL it is revealed to us, and most importantly "Truth is a person", and that person makes us free.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God can work through medicine. He can heal you through medical help, or make your life more bearable. But you need to be under a doctor's care. Mental illness is chronic, like diabetes. It doesn't go away, but like diabetes, can be managed.

Upvote 0

Rodo7777777

Jun 26, 2017
PNW
✟16,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God can work through medicine. He can heal you through medical help, or make your life more bearable. But you need to be under a doctor's care. Mental illness is chronic, like diabetes. It doesn't go away, but like diabetes, can be managed.

TRUE. God does use medicine.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Science or God? Who's responsible?

These options aren´t mutually exclusive, are they?

Think of the movie "the exorcism of Emily rose" for a minute. Watching that makes me think of my own situation in a way. I'm a firm believer in God. I don't really associate myself with any "main stream" religion bc I believe our own walk with. God is personal. So I've asked my god to heal my mind & heal me from severe depression,anxiety,& PTSD. I've been through alot in a short amount of time. anyway,none of the meds I've been given work so far. I've tried every non narcotic there is. My doctor explains gently I have chemical imbalances in my brain. Ok then. However,as a believer,I also know that the enemy,Satan Lucifer. Or whomever,can attack you at your weakness especially if your trying to live by the book. So my question is. ..why won't god hear my prayer & heal me from all this? Can't he control the imbalances in my head? Or do I need stronger meds? Is science or God I'm needing to rely on more? When does it stop being a medical problem & start becoming a spiritual one? No preacher or doctor can give me a straight answer. I wish I knew
If there is a God, he obviously doesn´t fix problems directly and on demand. So whatever your religious beliefs are - I don´t see how they can be a reason to reject available medical treatment. After all, you are free to believe that this is God´s way of offering you help and answering your prayers.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Maybe you should try and contrast this with more "obvious" health problems to see if it really makes sense to ask gods for anything.

Like an amputee.
Sure, there have been LOADS of anecdotes like "god cured my cancer" and "god pulled me out of a coma" etc.

1 thing they all have in common? None of them are verifiable and ALL of them can also happen without a supernatural entity and indeed do - all the time.
This is why the amputee is a much better example. It's pretty obvious that something amazing happened if a guy goes to sleep with one leg and wakes up with 2.
But that simply does not happen. Then there's also the many millions of cancer patients, most of whom undoubtebly pray and pray for cures and have plenty of loved ones praying for them for cures, but who die anyway - and not with a pleasant death. But a long agonizing, painfull one.

I think it's pretty safe to say that "god" is not someone you can count on to get your health back in order.

So my advice to you is: go seek actual help

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A good church environment can indeed help you, but it's not going to replace doctors and therapists. Sometimes people over-spiritualize their problems and blame the devil or other forces that are not under their control. Sometimes getting better involves being willing to step outside your comfort zone and take charge of things, and not just reacting to life passively.

Sometimes it can be as simple as not having enough vitamin D, which can cause depression and is very common in the US. I used to get sick several times a year and always had low energy, a bad mood and lots of anxiety, and it turned out I was deficient in this vitamin. I got diagnosed because I finally started having really bad memory problems and my doctor did a blood test.

At one time in my life, many years ago, I took just about every pill out there for depression, and few really helped me. Some even caused alot of problems. It was not until years ago I was able to grow emotionally with the help of a therapist experienced with trauma and mindfulness approaches that I really made progress. I also occasionally work with a therapist at an Episcopalian counselling center once in a while, just to stay mentally healthy.

I would also credit my church experiences with helping me, but sometimes churches can be harmful, too. I was spiritually abused in the Eastern Orthodox church. I think mainline churches are alot better places, many of the people in these churches are mentally well-adjusted and they have a loving environment, whereas the Orthodox church I was involved with was authoritarian, overly self-interested, arrogant, and polemical. And a few were very evidently emotionally immature.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Crystalp8
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You definitely should be under a psychiatrist's care. If you haven't responded to whatever medication has been already prescribed, then you should get a 2nd opinion. I don't know if you've ever considered ECT. The modern day protocols are much less harsh than in the past, with less chance of causing significant amnesia. I worked in health care, and have personally seen a couple of patients with very resistant depression literally turn their lives around after several ECT's. If ECT is unacceptable, you might consider transcranial magnetic stimulation. An electromagnetic coil sends magnetic pulses into the brain. It doesn't cause a convulsion. There is evidence that TMS in addition to anti-depressants is effective in treating major depression, and it is FDA approved. Another, even less invasive treatment is pulsed electromagnetic field therapy. It uses low-intensity magnetic pulses. Side effects are infrequent. PEMF-T is still sort of borderline alternative medicine, but there are reports of it being effective in resistant depression. And you can certainly combine any medical treatment with prayer and spiritual support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was in a similar situation, I needed personal help and I prayed to god to heal me.

he didn't.

Does that mean there is no god? No...

After some serious thought on the matter, it was mathematics that helped me figure out why god didn't heal me.

Long story short, God is not a genie in a bottle. Faith requires that you believe without tangible proof, otherwise, if you have tangible proof you no longer need faith.

If we are given free will, then that means we must live in a universe in which bad things can happen to good people and in which good things can happen to bad people.

God may show us the way, my push us in certain directions, but ultimately it is up to us to use what is at our disposal to make things happen.

So, seek medical help immediately, try whatever meds you need to try in order to find the right balance and mix (brain chemistry is complex and it takes some trial and error with your doctor to figure out what is right for you).

Good luck

Upvote 0

Crystalp8

Jun 26, 2017
✟25,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I was in a similar situation, I needed personal help and I prayed to god to heal me.

he didn't.

Does that mean there is no god? No...

After some serious thought on the matter, it was mathematics that helped me figure out why god didn't heal me.

Long story short, God is not a genie in a bottle. Faith requires that you believe without tangible proof, otherwise, if you have tangible proof you no longer need faith.

If we are given free will, then that means we must live in a universe in which bad things can happen to good people and in which good things can happen to bad people.

God may show us the way, my push us in certain directions, but ultimately it is up to us to use what is at our disposal to make things happen.

So, seek medical help immediately, try whatever meds you need to try in order to find the right balance and mix (brain chemistry is complex and it takes some trial and error with your doctor to figure out what is right for you).

Good luck
Yes I agree. Thank you for your logic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

A child wants candy but dad refused to give it to him.
The child knows clearly that his dad does not give him candy.
But could the child understand WHY? Obviously he can not.
However, should the child trust (obey) his dad?
If the child said, OK, you don't give me candy, I will go to someone else who would. Is he still a good son to his father?

You belief in God. But do you trust God as a child trusts his dad?

Upvote 0

Crystalp8

Jun 26, 2017
✟25,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
He did. He sent you a doctor.
He gave doctors knowledge. I promise you a doctor didn't just show up at my front door one day - decide to treat me free of charge. I'm not wanting a doctor to patch my issues,I'm wanting god to heal my issues so I don't need a doctor to begin with.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
You are free to believe that.

If you had broken your leg we would not be having this discussion. You would automatically see it as a medical problem and consult a medical professional.

You have a medical problem.

See a doctor.
OB

Upvote 0