Science meets political spin & popular culture: who has seen "Don't look up!"?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,
I loved this movie so much. Sure, some of the comedy was a bit obvious. Some was more subtle. But the overall metaphor for global warming was so razor sharp and the parallels of inaction by certain administrations and governments and corporations that I found the whole thing a cathartic laughfest - even if the humour was dark - so very, very dark!

Teaser trailer

Full trailer (language warning)

I laughed so hard at some points - and nearly wept at others.
Climate change is real.
The urgency is real (maybe not as urgent as the comet in this movie - but still action is required now).
The political spin is real.
The frustration is real.

This movie was entirely called for.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,398.00
Faith
Atheist
Hi guys,
I loved this movie so much. Sure, some of the comedy was a bit obvious. Some was more subtle. But the overall metaphor for global warming was so razor sharp and the parallels of inaction by certain administrations and governments and corporations that I found the whole thing a cathartic laughfest - even if the humour was dark - so very, very dark!

Teaser trailer

Climate change is real.
The urgency is real (maybe not as urgent as the comet in this movie - but still action is required now).
The frustration is real.

A friend of mine agrees. (I haven't seen it.) Basically, he recommends it but wouldn't watch it a second time -- too depressing. He called it a documentary.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,311.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi guys,

Teaser trailer

Climate change is real.
The frustration is real.

The " science" was so bad, i couldnt watch it.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,311.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you're talking about the tech billionaire then I think it's meant to be that bad!
The people who discovered the comet, how, what next. So dumb
Thats so far from how it goes.
I prolly should not have taken that
astronomy class.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Captain Ahab

Aug 7, 2020
Southeast
✟6,976.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember being told around 1993 back when I was in gradeschool how my state was going to be underwater within 7 years if we did not take ‘action’ i.e. fearmonger and bilk taxpayers. That was back when they called this propaganda ‘global warming’. Twenty something years have passed since then, the name has undergone 2 changes, I know of, first ‘climate change’ and that wasn’t scaring enough people so they upgraded it to ‘climate crisis’..still high and dry. And the goalposts on wheels keep scooting back. And the wealthy politicians and celebrities who peddle this propaganda are still purchasing multimillion dollar seaside mansions down here LOL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,311.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember being told around 1993 back when I was in gradeschool how my state was going to be underwater within 7 years if we did not take ‘action’ i.e. fearmonger and bilk taxpayers. That was back when they called this propaganda ‘global warming’. Twenty seven years have passed since then, the name has undergone 2 changes, I know of, first ‘climate change’ and that wasn’t scaring enough people so they upgraded it to ‘climate crisis’..still high and dry. And the goalposts on wheels keep scooting back. And the wealthy politicians and celebrities who peddle this propaganda are still purchasing multimillion dollar seaside mansions down here LOL.
Why not? Collect insurance ifn its swept away

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I remember being told around 1993 back when I was in gradeschool how my state was going to be underwater within 7 years if we did not take ‘action’ i.e. fearmonger and bilk taxpayers.

No peer-reviewed climate paper ever said that.
Sure - let's throw out the REAL science every time some teacher in a classroom gets something wrong.

Twenty seven years have passed since then, the name has undergone 2 changes, I know of, first ‘climate change’ and that wasn’t scaring enough people so they upgraded it to ‘climate crisis’..still high and dry.
Dude - you missed one. While the papers always came from climate scientists - the popular media used to call it Global Warming. You missed the usual alt-right conspiracy theory about changing the name from that to 'climate change' because (according to deniers) the warming 'never happened.' Um, wrong and wrong. The warming IS still happening, I'm fine to refer to it as Global Warming, Climate Change, Climate Crisis or even Global Weirding - and the original popular press name change from Global Warming to Climate Change was actually done by George W Bush's administration to soften the scary term Global Warming to just "climate change". (There are documentaries on this.)

And the goalposts on wheels keep scooting back.
From your incorrect teacher and / or some reporter losing their mind temporarily. But unless you can show it from the peer-reviewed papers - I'd reconsider going down this line because it's completely incorrect.

And the wealthy politicians and celebrities who peddle this propaganda are still purchasing multimillion dollar seaside mansions down here LOL.
Well - if you're going to dictate what is and is not acceptable use of the profits of a free market system - why not join us, Comrade? Because I accept peer-reviewed SCIENCE - and you obviously think I'm a Communist for doing so - but you're also now mandating how someone who accepts SCIENCE should spend their money - why not just buy a Communist Manifesto and join us brother? :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
C'mon, guys.

Give me time to recover from this one:

Not to mention this one:

Oh - you again.
Did you ever get past just quoting "the vibe of the thing" with that other thread I didn't bother looking at? Still not sure what your actual objection to climate change is - but if you ever figure out how to articulate it in a few actual sentences - maybe we can have a conversation.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I remember being told around 1993 back when I was in gradeschool how my state was going to be underwater within 7 years ...
Ah yes. Now there's a sound basis for discernment: resentment at being hyped to as an 8 year old.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh - you again.
Did you ever get past just quoting "the vibe of the thing" with that other thread I didn't bother looking at? Still not sure what your actual objection to climate change is - but if you ever figure out how to articulate it in a few actual sentences - maybe we can have a conversation.

Glen Morton and Thaumaturgy went at it on this site some time ago.

Two experts on this subject battling it out big time.

They used technical jargon most people never heard of, as they argued about rooftop thermometers placed in the wrong area, thermometers placed on asphalt and giving fake readings, and a host of other stuff.

Like two grandmasters going head-to-head.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys,

Teaser trailer

Climate change is real.
The frustration is real.

It was a good spin on current events, it even went as far back in the timeline "if Hilary got elected" as a side note.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

They used technical jargon most people never heard of, as they argued about rooftop thermometers placed in the wrong area, thermometers placed on asphalt and giving fake readings, and a host of other stuff.

And? Your conclusion? That no one knows because one of those two guys was wrong and it confused you? Right.

The "Urban heat island effect" is well documented and the databases have been adjusted accordingly if a particular weather station was found to have exaggerated or impacted data. With modern computers, it's not that hard to delete a bad data set. Get the ID of the weather station and DELETE. Done. Your thread sounds like a storm in a teacup.

When compiling temperature records, NASA GISS go to great pains to remove any possible influence from Urban Heat Island Effect. They compare urban long term trends to nearby rural trends. They then adjust the urban trend so it matches the rural trend. The process is described in detail on the NASA website (Hansen et al. 2001).

They found in most cases, urban warming was small and fell within uncertainty ranges. Surprisingly, 42% of city trends are cooler relative to their country surroundings as weather stations are often sited in cool islands (eg - a park within the city). The point is they're aware of UHI and rigorously adjust for it when analysing temperature records.

This confirms a peer review study by the NCDC (Peterson 2003) that did statistical analysis of urban and rural temperature anomalies and concluded "Contrary to generally accepted wisdom, no statistically significant impact of urbanization could be found in annual temperatures... Industrial sections of towns may well be significantly warmer than rural sites, but urban meteorological observations are more likely to be made within park cool islands than industrial regions."

Another more recent study (Parker 2006) plotted 50 year records of temperatures observed on calm nights, the other on windy nights. He concluded "temperatures over land have risen as much on windy nights as on calm nights, indicating that the observed overall warming is not a consequence of urban development".

Does Urban Heat Island effect exaggerate global warming trends?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The "Urban heat island effect" is well documented and the databases have been adjusted accordingly if a particular weather station was found to have exaggerated or impacted data. With modern computers, it's not that hard to delete a bad data set. Get the ID of the weather station and DELETE. Done. Your thread sounds like a storm in a teacup.
Here we go again.

History repeats itself.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here we go again.

History repeats itself.
What - you're getting confused again? :oldthumbsup:

We know the earth is warming from the satellite database, the thermometer database, the fact that it FITS the basic physics of CO2, the fact that the growing CO2 in the atmosphere actually IS our fossil fuel CO2 because the isotopes are changing, the fact that the nights are warming as well as the days, the fact that the seasons are changing, the ice is melting, and NONE of it has anything to do with the Earth's wobbles or orbit changes (Milankovitch cycles).

This is happening.
If you think you have some biblical reason to defy it - you're wrong there also.

Glacier.jpg

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟142,164.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just an aside on asteroids - did anyone see Greenland?
Warning: spoilers
Spoiler alert!
Warning: spoilers
Spoiler alert!
Spoiler alert!
This is not a drill.

OK, so in the movie Greenland (for those who have seen it) they're in the bunker a mere 9 months and say the dust is clearing. But the latest climate models seem to indicate that the Dinosaur Killer was at least 1.5 to 2 years in total dark - BUT then it would have cleared up within months. (Weird upper atmosphere cooling and snow interactions, that ALSO leave the planet without a decent ozone layer - so after the dark - wear that sunscreen everyone!) In the movie Greenland the comet is even BIGGER than the DK. Anyway, we can pretend they had more food and were down there longer.
Dark for 2 years after dino-killing asteroid? | Earth | EarthSky

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"if Hilary got elected"
I thought President Orlean she was more a parody of President Trump.

Nut the title, "Don't look up" and as a response to the slogan "Just look up" was pretty sly.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist

Meanwhile, around the world, record-breaking extremes of weather - temperatures, droughts, floods, storms, wildfires, etc., continue, as predicted by global warming models...

Upvote 0