Science education determined by local or central government?

Should central gov't decide on teaching science to our kids?

• Yes, central government knows what science the youth need.

• No, local governments should have the right to decide what out kids are taught.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Should science education be determined by local or central government?

Should the legislative power of this nation have the correct form of science that local governments should not evade?

From the other side of the arguement, should legislation allow local governments to set the standards for science education?

Vote on the poll!

Hector

Elduran

Disruptive influence
May 19, 2005
✟9,830.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Neither. The science curriculum should ideally be set by the scientific community, ideally by consensus. Allowing people who often have no training in science at all to make such decisions is just plain stupid if you ask me!

Failing that, it should be set nationally with advice given by those in the know.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
While I am sympathetic to the position that the scientific community should be the arbiter of the content of science education, that is an unrealistic goal in a system of education provided by the state. Bureaucracy will not simply step aside completely.

Of the choices provided in the OP, federal control seems to be preferable. Not on the assumption that the feds have a greater chance of getting it right, but that we have but a single department to which we can go complain if (when) they get it wrong.

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

I voted for local governments, for reasons that have nothing to do with the creation/evolution issue..

A large component of public education is social studies, and it should be as decentralized as possible so that it does not turn into propaganda. Having it centralized in the national government would enforce conformity in the curriculum, so any errors would appear throughout the entire country, and that's way too much power to have in one place.

edit: I suppose the question was "Science curriculum", it would be interesting if that was separated from every other curriculum, but i still don't think centralizing it is a good idea, I think when it comes to education, variety is probably better than conformity, so that you'll wind up with different people from different educational backrounds discussing issues, for a much better mix.

Reactions: Dal M.
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to have to vote the Planet X option. There needs to be national standards for science education and those should be recommended by the National Academy of Sciences, etc. Local school boards should have some leeway, but they should not be able to go against the national standards.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChordatesLegacy

Jun 21, 2007
✟17,761.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The science curriculum should be decided by the scientific community, and be implemented on a national level.

If what was taught in science classes was decided on a local level, it would lead to children being indoctrinated into the lunatic religious brigade in many states in America.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
this country=The United States of America

You guys had your shot. I believe they called it "the empire".;)

But as an aside, how is the science curriculum put together on the other side of the pond?

A good question, I do not know the answer (though eduction is state based). However, my mother-in-law is a science teacher. I shall ask her.

Upvote 0

Hector Medina

Questioning Roman Catholic
May 10, 2002
San Antonio,Texas USA
Visit site
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As for the poll options, lets consider 'central government'='scientific community.'

Why is science seen as so specially occupationalized in all aspects? Biological science, concerning world origin/evolution is taught by individuals, -teachers-, who receive traning, not ran by the teachers. The teachers are guides, not infallable masters. Much of bilogical theory is not provable, it is up to the philosophical right of the individual as to what he/she wishes to believe. Intellegent design is really just as unprovable as evolution is really. Both have large followings of individuals who study and teach the subjects.

-Hector

I feel that the U.S. scientific communities operation has its roots in collectivist government. Each U.S. citizen has individual constitutional rights and the Legislatve power, perhaps especially the U.S. Supreme Court has made decisions on too much of a centralized level since the second half of the twentienth century.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Should science education be determined by local or central government?

Should the legislative power of this nation have the correct form of science that local governments should not evade?

From the other side of the arguement, should legislation allow local governments to set the standards for science education?

Vote on the poll!

Hector
The very fist thing Lennin, Hitler, and Mao Tse-tung took over was the education of "their" citizens. In that way the "government" can indoctrinate and manipulate the general thinking of the public. When the cental government has control of public education the stage is set for domination.and indoctrination.

Upvote 0

TheOutsider

Pope Iason Ouabache the Obscure
Dec 29, 2006
Indiana
✟11,428.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The very fist thing Lennin, Hitler, and Mao Tse-tung took over was the education of "their" citizens. In that way the "government" can indoctrinate and manipulate the general thinking of the public. When the cental government has control of public education the stage is set for domination.and indoctrination.
Wait, I thought that the very first thing they did was take away all of the guns. You fundies need to get your history straight.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The scientific community should recommend a curriculum and it should be up to central government to implement those recommendations.
The scientific community should make a recommendation and the local town/community school board should consider it after public review and debate.

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wait, I thought that the very first thing they did was take away all of the guns. You fundies need to get your history straight.
Thye took the guns away from the grown-ups and educated the kids at the very same time.

Upvote 0