science appears to contradict the Bible....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left scrollamou
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,054.00
Faith
Christian
lucaspa singnature says:
lucaspa said:
"If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault." Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437
So if science appears to contradict the Bible then it is because our interpretation of the Bible is wrong???
That might explain why you think the way you do.

(if it said that if science does contracdict the Bible then it it because of your interpretation then I could agree with you)

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Jon said:
lucaspa singnature says: "If sound science appears to contradict the Bible, we may be sure that it is our interpretation of the Bible that is at fault." Christian Observer, 1832, pg. 437

So if science appears to contradict the Bible then it is because our interpretation of the Bible is wrong???
Yes. Isn't that what the quote says?

That might explain why you think the way you do.
Who is "you"?

(if it said that if science does contracdict the Bible then it it because of your interpretation then I could agree with you)
I think you miss the point those Christians were trying to make. Since science and the Bible are both God's books, they cannot really contradict. So science does not, and cannot (in their view) contradict the Bible. God cannot contradict God. Instead, the apparent contradiction comes from having the wrong interpretation of the Bible.

Upvote 0
A

Ark Guy

Nice try, BUT you use evolutionism as one of those "apparent" contradictions.

Then you claim that the natural reading of Genesis is incorrect simply because you filter your bible through, ah, er...science.

Funny thing that you don't filter the resurrection through science. if you did, you would deny the resurrection just as you deny the special creation performed by Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ark Guy said:
Funny thing that you don't filter the resurrection through science. if you did, you would deny the resurrection just as you deny the special creation performed by Jesus Christ.
Why do you keep using this arguement when you know it is flawed? There is seriously something lacking with you, either that or you're an atheist trolling as a creationist.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Ark Guy said:
What is "evolutionism".

No, we don't use "evolution". We use the data in God's Creation to know that a literal interpretation of Genesis 1-3 is wrong.

Then you claim that the natural reading of Genesis is incorrect simply because you filter your bible through, ah, er...science.
"natural" reading? LOL! You mean your reading. The "natural" reading is how the people of the time read it.

:sigh: One more time. Yes, we do filter the Resurrection thru science. It's just that science doesn't show what you say it does. You have made a mistake about science. "special creation" or creationism is a scientific theory. The data shows it to be wrong. The Resurrection is data. Theory cannot show data to be wrong. It's very simple. Don't worry, another 50 or so repititions to you and you might even get it.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
wblastyn said:
Why do you keep using this arguement when you know it is flawed? There is seriously something lacking with you, either that or you're an atheist trolling as a creationist.
Ah, you noticed what Bushido and I noticed. Yes, Ark Guy is making an atheistic argument. Ark Guy, you are making the common argument that atheists make to try to disprove Christianity. What gets to us is that you insist the argument is correct! Well, that means that you must think Christianity is wrong. After all, the Resurrection didn't happen and Christianity is toast.

So, why are you, an atheist, pretending to be Christian?

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
He's appealing to emotion. He's hoping the other, lesser informed types will see evolutionists for what we really are, Jesus-hating freaks who aren't real Christians.

Of course, I'm about to be quoted out of context, but you get the idea. :) Ark Guy's arguements are the same as the atheists because he has no other. He's not actually saying that those are his arguements. He's trying to prove evolution false by saying that it would falsify Christianity. Either that or he's trying to say that we're not true Christians because his logical extension is that we can't be.

It's all ****.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Bushido216 said:
Ark Guy's arguements are the same as the atheists because he has no other. He's not actually saying that those are his arguements.
I think Ark Guy is saying those are his arguments. He put them up as his. He really thinks he has found a weakness here. This is demonstrated that, even when he is shown the error of his logic, he sticks to the argument even knowing that the consequence is falsifying Christianity!

And there are other arguments. The obvious one is that the data shows evolution to be wrong and creationism to be right. OK, that isn't going to work, but that is the argument he should be using. Making atheism sound correct is simply going to get people to convert to atheism.

He's trying to prove evolution false by saying that it would falsify Christianity.
Well, that would be a really dumb type of argument. Even if evolution would falsify Christianity, that doesn't make evolution false. What it does is set up a situation where Christianity can be false. The obvious rejoinder is: "Ok, evolution falsifies Christianity. You win. Christianity is false!" If Ark Guy "wins", Christianity loses.

And that sure looks like what an undercover atheist would do, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Ark Guy said:

Again...

Brother, we have already given our reasons many times. We accept that God can interveen in His creation to alter the normal running of things - a miracle. His miraculous actions would leave effects which science could then analyse. The evidence (e.g. eyewhitness accounts in the Gospels) is that God did perform the miracle of the resurection. The evidence (e.g. the cosmic microwave background) is that God did not create in six days ~6000 years ago.

Hence, we accept the resurection and do not accept YEC.

That is our reason - plain and simple. Is it really too much for you to say "OK - thank you for answering my question. I see your reasons and I accept that you are not holding an absurd or self-contradictory position. However, as I disagree with you interpretation of the Bible and the scientific evidence I do disagree with your position."

God bless,
YN.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mrversatile48

Jan 19, 2004
Merseyside
✟2,810.00
Faith
Christian
See recent news @ many scientists, from many disciplines, finding such clear proofs of Intelligent Design that they worship the Almighty Creator

1 university professor said, in the news item, "If I need an atheist for a debate, these days, I have to go to the philosophy department: physics profs are all born-again Christians!"

It was either:-

http://www.charismanews.com

or:-

http://www.christianitytoday.com

Ian

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
mrversatile48 said:
See recent news @ many scientists, from many disciplines, finding such clear proofs of Intelligent Design that they worship the Almighty Creator

1 university professor said, in the news item, "If I need an atheist for a debate, these days, I have to go to the philosophy department: physics profs are all born-again Christians!"
I'm afraid the data contradicts that. Surveys of scientists show that physicists are the lowest in belief in God.

Intelligent Design is another falsified scientific theory. It is simply the Argument from Design dressed up in new clothes, and that argument for the existence of God was shown to be an invalid argument in 1859.

This is the home page. Where on this site did you see that quote?

Not here, either.

When IDers put out a list of scientists who support ID in a newspaper ad, their "many" scientists were only 100! Since there are well over 1 million scientists in the US, this is not impressive. The National Center for Science Education put out Project Steve, which was a list of scientists named "Steve" that accepted evolution. The last I saw, that list was over 700!

Upvote 0

freespirit2001

Contributor
Dec 3, 2003
Eastern Shore off the Chesapeake Bay, Md
Visit site
✟12,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been doing research on the life and work of Carl Sagan, the scientist on the series of Cosmos PBS...and other work he has done. Others have referred him as the "Mr.Roger's of Science" in the 70's and 80's....Both Carl Sagan and Albert Einstein had similiar views and quotes about appreciating the study of religion and science together---with skeptical scutiny.

" Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound sence of spirituality." Carl Sagan

" Science withoutreligion is lame,
Religion without science is blind."
Albert Einstein

Sigmund Freud, at the turn of the century, wrote The Future of an Illusion, an excellent study of how science and religion are mysteriously intertwined.

I'm not an authority in either field, but have done alot of research on Carl Sagan and his life and work. I'm a substitute teacher, and part time college student (with a degree in Humanities) and have wondered how I would approach the study of evolution with 8th grade students...
I'm not sure how colleges are instructing science students about Evolution, training to be 8th grade science teachers????---How do college science professors approach evolution?...
I have hopes of attending a Methodist College someday......

I understand in 1996, the Pope allowed Darwin's theory of
Evolution to be accepted by the Church and may be taught by Catholic Schools the way Darwinian science views the theories of evolution....

I'm sure there will always be conflict on how Genesis will be interpreted by both experts in both religion and science. Carl Sagan has approached this conflict in his book "The Dragons of Eden"---The Origins of the Intelligence of Man...Sagan makes science interesting because he takes views from both sides and explains everything in "anybody can understand" language...Most of Sagan's work focused on exobiology---the study of extraterrestrial life. He also started SETI...worked with CSICOP, and the Skeptical Inquirer magazine...and much of his work, the movie the book CONTACT focused on the theories of his work with exobiology. He believes( I have quotes to validate this) that we were visited by extraterrestrial life in the beginning of our origins. I still may find a concensus and more expert opinion about this fact in my lifetime....

However, its a problematical issue whether that would be the same time of the stories of Genesis being handed down generation to generation in the hebrew faith...also the study of the angels of the bible may run on the same problematical lines...

My feelings are: If Carl Sagan was such a strong skeptic in favor of Darwin's Theory Of Evolution...why didn't he do a movie with the same themes as The Planet of the Apes? He didn't----He chose his theories about extraterrestrials to center his movie and book on...

Personally, as a novice of science studies---I feel he also had some excellent approaches and some excellent personal perspective about the studies of human DNA in all his works...

He never had any comment about scientists involved with gene tampering, or injecting human DNA into monkeys or pigs (zenotransplantation) for organ transplants...This fete of science may not be new to the field of science ( and it may come in conflict with the humane rights of animals---perhaps with some scipture as well) ....evolution may still be in the process of being a "big business" science or religion concept------( The "Dragon" metaphors in his work "The Dragon's of Eden") I'm still skeptical about evolution for now-----But I'm siding more with Carl Sagan views and his studies of exobiology through his work and SETI...

People who have educated values and are naturally more inquisitivly motivated, do promote the bridge between the bible and science studies in both schools and colleges....information gathering should be encouraged and promoted in both fields of study....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThePhoenix

Aug 12, 2003
✟5,476.00
Faith
Christian
mrversatile48 said:

It was either:-

http://www.charismanews.com

http://www.christianitytoday.com

Ian
In other news drug usage among non-mainstream reporters is going up.

Upvote 0

Bushido216

Aug 30, 2003
New York
✟22,562.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
fishstix said:
What if we are interpretting science wrong? Perhaps I should say interpretting data wrong. Even what once were thought to be good scientific theories have been discarded as time passes and things are re-thought or new discoveries are made.
Then we will change or discard the theory as necessary. However, in this day and age, 100 years is a long time for something like evolution to remain if it were wholly false. Besides, how many times has it come under the attack of groups like AiG and ICR? Yet, it still remains the best theory to explain the facts.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
fishstix said:
What if we are interpretting science wrong? Perhaps I should say interpretting data wrong. Even what once were thought to be good scientific theories have been discarded as time passes and things are re-thought or new discoveries are made.

That is why the science must be sound.

However, science has disproved the 6000 year old Earth hypothesis. The only possible way for it too be that young would be if God created the world in a way that was intentionally deceptive, which is completely opposite to the way we understand God.

Upvote 0

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fishstix said:
That is a good point, science can change and often does, little pieces are found to be wrong and corrections made. That is why theology should not be based on it, and is a good argument against creation science, as they try to base their thological ideas in science (or to be more specific try to base their science on their theological ideas).

Science is a search for truth just as theology is a search for truth. If we wish to find truth in either on we must let both grow independently and see where they lead. Eventually they may merge into a single greater truth or they may not, but we will never get any closer to the truth if we keep setting the two against eachother like two pit bulls.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
fishstix said:
We have already tried interpreting the data in terms of other theories. That's how we falsified the other theories.

When you go to meetings, this is focus of most questions and objections to papers -- you can interpret the data in light of other hypotheses. Mostly this means that you failed to eliminate the other hypotheses as possible. Put another way, you didn't do the appropriate controls.

To get a flavor of how this is done, read the critique below. The original authors found a fossil skeleton of a boy that they interpreted as having both neandertal and sapiens features. They then used this interpretation to say that neandertals and sapiens interbred. Tattersall and colleagues are now coming back and saying they misinterpreted the data (measurements of the fossil) and that the boy is, in reality, simply a stocky sapiens boy.
6. Ian Tattersall*, and Jeffrey H. Schwartz, Commentary Hominids and hybrids: the place of Neanderthals in human evolution PNAS 96, Issue 13, 7117-7119, June 22, 1999
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/96/13/7117

This is the type of fight that goes on all the time in scientific circles. It is the fight that went on in the period 1850-1880 regarding common ancestry and natural selection (evolution). What happened is that the critics failed and everyone (including the critics) eventually agreed that we were not misinterpreting the data.

Now, yes, hypotheses/theories can be overthrown by new data. That's always part of the way science works. In that case, the old data has to be revisited to make sure it is consistent with the new theory that replaces the old. And, yes, if data to falsify evolution were found, that would be the way it is. However, scientists have been looking for such data since 1848 when Chambers first seriously brought forth the idea that species were not fixed. They have tried every test to falsify common ancestry that we can think of. The only test left would be finding mammalian fossils in the Cambrian or before.

And seriously, I can't think of any test that could be tried to falsify natural selection. They have all been tried already. Behe's "irreducible complexity" is simply a re-working of Mivart's and others arguments of over a century ago. And those arguments were falsified then. Dembski's "complex specified complexity" has either 1) been falsified or 2) shows that God can't create CSI either!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.