• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Schumer, Pelosi say they have deal with Trump to protect 'Dreamers'

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by jayem, Sep 13, 2017.

1. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+2,160
    Atheist
    Married
    In a joint statement, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said they and Trump had "agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that's acceptable to both sides."

Seems like the Dems work better with DJT than does his own party. The Pres. still wants the wall, but that issue will be separated from this agreement.

Assuming this isn't fake news, it's a significant accomplishment for both Pres. Trump and for Democrats. I just wonder how the Republican hard-core and alt-right Trumpistas will react.

Schumer, Pelosi say they have deal with Trump to protect 'Dreamers'

2. Tanj

Tanj Well-Known Member

+667
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    If there is a continuing trend of the center Democrats and Republicans coming together for productive government thus consigning the extremes of both parties to the wilderness then Trump might well go down in history as one of the best presidents ever. He would certainly get my vote...assuming I was, like, American, and allowed to vote.

3. Redac

Redac Regular Member

+698
    Seeker
    Single
    Any kind of amnesty for these people, and much of Trump's base will abandon him. I'm not sure how he doesn't see this.

There appears to be some signalling that no deal has been made yet, though, so it's up in the air at the moment. We'll have to wait and see.

4. HereIStand

HereIStand Regular Member Supporter

+1,324
    Presbyterian
    Married
    As a Trump supporter, I'm fine with it. The GOP leadership isn't working with or for Trump. He isn't the type of person to sit on his hands and do nothing. I've always liked this FDR quote, "It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."

5. Tanj

Tanj Well-Known Member

+667
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    I think your demonization of Trump supporters unfair. I think they are human beings like the rest of us, and recognise that someone that has been in the US for 20 years since the age of 4, has never been in trouble with the law, has never known any other country and is a productive tax payer deserves compassion.

At any rate, you are not the first person to predict Trump's base abandoning him incorrectly, I doubt you will be the last.

6. pakicetus

pakicetus sternodraugaz

+1,762
    Lutheran
    If this actually happens, watch as Trump is praised by centrists for saving the dreamers from himself

7. pakicetus

pakicetus sternodraugaz

+1,762
    Lutheran
    exhibit a

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

+1,773
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    hmm

now Schumer and Pelosi are centrists?

9. lasthero

lasthero Newbie

+1,579
    Seeker
    I think you're underestimating the determination of his hardcore base.

His ratings might might take a hit for a little while, but he'll throw them some red meat or do something and they'll be back.

You knew what this was.

10. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,874
    Agnostic
    Compassion is a good thing, but there is also an economic argument to be made. We have already invested a lot of money into these kids through public schooling and other programs. It makes sense to get the return on that investment.

11. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

+1,773
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Trump's base has nowhere else to turn.

Besides, how many times have we said that some action by Trump would cause his base to leave him?

As Trump has said, he could shoot someone in broad daylight and he wouldn't lose any votes from his base.

BOTTOM LINE
    Even if Trump lost a few votes from his base, this matters very little until 2020. In any case, more moderate Republicans will view him positively if he makes these deals. This will help these moderates in 2018.

12. wing2000

wing2000 Ex Crosswalk Member Supporter

+2,423
    Christian
    Married
    It would seem Sen Schumer, in particular, has a productive, working relationship with the President and is willing to deal. The same cannot be said for the GOP leaders...

13. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

+1,773
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I agree.

Trump has known Schumer for many years, and has supported his campaigns. He even has a better relationship with Pelosi than with Ryan. Only Obama and Clinton have been attacked more by Trump in the past couple of years.

Curiously, Schumer and Pelosi can deliver votes in Congress. Ryan and McConnell have difficulty doing so. McConnell can't control the moderates in the Senate, or even the far right and libertarians. Ryan can't control the Freedom Caucus.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  14. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+9,681
    Agnostic
    Single
    Indeed -- I remember when they were the alleged enemies of America -- right behind Obama and Clinton.

15. cow451

cow451 Shaken, Not Stirred Supporter

+5,479
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Trump had a dream last week. God as Trump understands him came to him and Tweeted:
    "Hey, you in the bland suit! Yes, you. People really hate you. Lots of them. People have been complaining that you are a self-absorbed excrement artist. If you keep this up I might have to Breitbart your lying butt. Tragic!"

16. Allandavid

Allandavid Well-Known Member

+2,208
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Ahem.....

ending dreamers program.jpg

Please note the middle columns.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member

+1,773
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    So, only 22% of Trump's core wanted to keep DACA a couple of weeks ago. I suspect that number will be 78% after Trump has a bill ready to sign.

18. Allandavid

Allandavid Well-Known Member

+2,208
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    Yes...anything that Dear Leader says will become the truth...

"We have always been at war with Eastasia"...