Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's what a decent school system should do. Mine, for example, has several vocational campuses, including agricultural technology and digital animation. But they also have Advanced Placement courses, and even a path to earn an associate's degree though a local community college by graduation day.

One size can't fit all, and public schools should be prepared to deal with that reality.

I so very much agree with the part I bolded.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No kidding. That conversation never took place. But they will remember what Caesar had done, and the formula used.

I would expect students to be aware that the conversation was fictional and would not therefore label the use of a fictional conversation itself as historically incorrect. What is historically incorrect is attributing to Julius Caesar the changing of the names of the months of Quintilis and Sextilis to July and August. He was long dead when Augustus decided that was a good idea.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would expect students to be aware that the conversation was fictional and would not therefore label the use of a fictional conversation itself as historically incorrect. What is historically incorrect is attributing to Julius Caesar the changing of the names of the months of Quintilis and Sextilis to July and August. He was long dead when Augustus decided that was a good idea.

Yep. I generally don't teach history, although sometimes it does become necessary. It's amazing how many kids were taught that people opposed Columbus because they thought the world was flat. In truth, they opposed him because he had drastically underestimated how large it is. If it hadn't been for the Americas, he would never have survived that voyage.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've seen home-schooled kids who were among the best-educated anywhere. And I've seen home-schooled kids whose best hope is an opening at the grease rack.

And it's usually easy to predict which they will be, after five minutes with their parents.

Upvote 0

Paradox.79

Jun 27, 2021
Indianapolis
✟10,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've seen home-schooled kids who were among the best-educated anywhere. And I've seen home-schooled kids whose best hope is an opening at the grease rack.

And it's usually easy to predict which they will be, after five minutes with their parents.
Yeah look at the Duggar family there a great example of homeschooling...im being sarcastic lol

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah look at the Duggar family there a great example of homeschooling...im being sarcastic lol

Yeah. Truth is, if you're knowledgeable and have the time there's no way that a teacher with 15-30 students can do as well at teaching a subject as you can do with just one student.

On the other hand, if you're a HS graduate or less, who doesn't take the time to learn the subject, you're going to do a horrible job, and cause your kid a huge problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

^^^ This X100.

As a product of homeschooling (high school only), I can absolutely say there are children receiving a good education, and there are others receiving a terrible education. Then there is the middle, the ones prepared in regards to education, but not socially.

A lot has to do with the reasons one chooses to home school, the resources chosen to assist in the endeavor, and the parents or tutors doing the job.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then there is the middle, the ones prepared in regards to education, but not socially.

A friend of mine, whom I used to coach in soccer, chose to home-school her kids for religious reasons. She has a cooperative with other home-schoolers, who organize events, field trips and the like to address the socialization problem.

Seems to work for them.

This woman's parents are well-educated, as she is, and I have no doubt that she's doing a great job educating her children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She has a cooperative with other home-schoolers, who organize events, field trips and the like to address the socialization problem.

in-person school also have events, field trips, speakers, and after school clubs

signed up teen for after school club that starts this month
nurses are doing eye screening & scoliosis test this mos

plus everyday Daily interaction with multiple teachers, friends, and other students

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
in-person school also have events, field trips, speakers, and after school clubs

signed up teen for after school club that starts this month
nurses are doing eye screening & scoliosis test this mos

plus everyday Daily interaction with multiple teachers, friends, and other students

Oh, I think that for most people, public schools are an excellent choice. My kids have all been very successful academically and professionally, and they all went through public schools.

Truth is, all successful kids are "homeschooled" in that parents discuss academic things with them, and talk about what they are learning in school. This is true of private school kids as well. Parents who demonstrate an interest in academic matters are critical to a student performing at the highest level.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
don't get me wrong, I was SO happy teen was home 2020

however, she is a social butterfly & makes friends easily
when she went back to school this year, everyone was asking "where were you?"

being an only child, she likes the interaction at school

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
don't get me wrong, I was SO happy teen was home 2020

however, she is a social butterfly & makes friends easily
when she went back to school this year, everyone was asking "where were you?"

being an only child, she likes the interaction at school

Yes, kids like socializing, and they need it to become adults.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. Truth is, if you're knowledgeable and have the time there's no way that a teacher with 15-30 students can do as well at teaching a subject as you can do with just one student.

On the other hand, if you're a HS graduate or less, who doesn't take the time to learn the subject, you're going to do a horrible job, and cause your kid a huge problem.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Harry Callahan.

My grandmother had an eighth-grade education, became a farm-wife at 15. But she did teach her children (and me, her grandchild) how to read and do arithmetic before we started public school.

The biggest problem with American public schools, particularly at the middle and high level, is that the civility of high school social culture is barely above that of a prison...and for the same basic reasons.

My daughter went to a high-level university "laboratory" school--all students were individually selected to attend. Yet, it was common for the jocks to perform mock homosexual gang rapes on weaker boys in the hall while teachers watched. Oh, and upon girls, too.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, kids like socializing, and they need it to become adults.

Depends on whether it's positive socialization or negative socialization. People get socialized in prisons, too.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0