• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

School responds after 'police brutality' posters cause outrage on social media

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by SummerMadness, Nov 25, 2018.

1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+8,493
    Christian
    School responds after 'police brutality' posters cause outrage on social media
    How dare these students learn about their constitutional rights!

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,617
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    "Galsterer went on to apologize and said they never wanted to upset or offend police officers."
    Smart move, don't want to upset or offend those in power.

3. Radagast

Radagast has left CF Supporter

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    They weren't "learning about their constitutional rights," they were being taught (to quote from the first poster) that "police are brutal."

It's no surprise that police officers were a little offended by this.

The police officer who complained was correct to point out that a small number of teachers illegally have sex with kids each year, but we don't hang up "teachers have sex with kids" posters everywhere.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  4. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,688
    Agnostic
    Single
    The poster teaches the class?

5. SummerMadness

+8,493
    Christian
    The other odd thing is the quote of statements that were not made.

6. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+10,415
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    How do you know they were being taught that? The superintendent's response makes the class sound pretty broad and even-handed.

There's a little more on the matter here:
    Cops Invited To School Find Hall Lined With Police Brutality Posters - Blue Lives Matter

From the OP article:
    That strikes me as more than a bit hypocritical, since, by posting the images and complaining without so much as talking to anybody at the school, the detective is just as guilty of perpetuating a narrative a victimhood.

From the BLM article:
    Residents of other jurisdictions might disagree.

7. SummerMadness

+8,493
    Christian
    This police officer clearly has not read any of the DOJ reports on various police departments across the country. I also love the statistical sleight of hand here; considering such police misconduct is mostly directed at areas with racial minorities, it should be no surprise that there isn't a lot of police brutality in areas with the racial majority.

8. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+10,415
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    This detective works in the Flint Township PD, which covers the area just outside of Flint, MI, so I would imagine he's at least familiar with some of the racial dynamics at play.

That said, the detective also works in a culture where the prosecutor thinks this kind of shooting is justified:
    Flint Township to consider $1.39M settlement of fatal police shooting lawsuit

So, it also stands to reason that maybe his perspective is somewhat skewed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    The poster regurgitates what the children were taught.

10. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    If you're referring to me, the first poster clearly says "police are brutal." Take a look.

11. SummerMadness

+8,493
    Christian
    The only person that has written police are brutal is you. Reading comprehension is all I can suggest to you.

12. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    First poster in the line (with the big blue policeman). Take a look. I await your apology.

[​IMG]

13. SummerMadness

+8,493
    Christian
    Ah, I see you're referring to the poster in the image as opposed to the poster of this thread.

14. SummerMadness

+8,493
    Christian
    But those posters aren't lying, there is a problem that requires reform:

15. Radagast

+7,280
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Isn't that what the whole thread is about?

And I was quite clearly referring to posters that were "hung up" on the wall.

16. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+16,688
    Agnostic
    Single
    Does it? Or does it Express what the children already know?

17. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+874
    Presbyterian
    Single
    When the children witness Homeland Security arresting a teacher because DHS felt they could park in a school bus loading zone at the end of the day, and the teacher dared ever say anything about it--as has happened--I think it's safe to say the children learned correctly.