United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Good morning.

I am a teacher. There is no doubt that our government and educational system have strayed from God in many ways.

I am not permitted to lead the class in prayer aloud. However, I pray silently every morning and at the start of each class. I pray privately during breaks and class activities. Christ reads what is written on our hearts; the words do not need to be spoken aloud. Prayer does not need to be a public activity to be effective.

I do not need permission or acknowledgement from my administration to pray to my Lord. Jesus hears my prayers and I feel His presence in the classroom every day. I have felt Him guiding the students as well, particularly those struggling the most. When students seek His assistance, He answers their prayers. I have witnessed firsthand the "lightbulb" moment that occurs when a student grasps a concept for the first time. I have felt His influence when a student begins to take his or her education seriously. These moments are truly a delight to witness as they carry His distinctive divine signature.

Would it be preferable if an opportunity for prayer were part of the daily routine? Certainly. That said, the current circumstance need not be an obstacle. Jesus is not deterred by man-made laws. He subscribes to the divine codes and policies, not the codes and policies of the school administration.

Jesus cares deeply for our youth and their education. He is both inside and outside the school walls. He is in the classroom, and He is in the students' homes. He is in the teachers' and administrators' homes. He is already here with us and always has been; however, He does not work by force. Many choose to ignore Him or doubt Him, and He honors their free will.

While I strongly encourage prayer in schools, and would gladly invite students to join me if I could, I do not believe it should be mandatory. The words and gestures of non-believers would be rote and devoid of sincerity. Prayer must stem from a heartfelt desire to reach God's ears. Jesus wishes for us to come to Him by choice, not by force.

Just as others may choose to ignore Him, so too may we choose to heed His wisdom. It is our responsibility as Christians to exercise our free will and request His continual presence and influence in our schools. So long as we continue to pray and seek His guidance, He will be in our schools.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
do you mean a teacher should lead a class in prayer by telling students to get their prayer rugs and face the direction of Mecca?
It would more likely be a generic prayer that removes all reference to any specific deity, if any deity at all and full of rainbows, unicorns and butterflies..
in other words it would end up being exactly the empty public prayer for the express purpose of being 'seen' that Jesus warned against in Matthew 6:7.

"As long as there are final exams, there will be prayer in school."
- Johnny Carson

There's nothing stopping students nor teachers from sincerely praying.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Recently I read this in the Bible:

The wicked shall depart to Sheol,
all the nations that forget God. Psalm 9:17 RSV

Then I saw this message on a T-shirt on Facebook:

Dear God,
Why do you allow so much violence in schools?
Signed,
a concerned student.

Dear Concerned Student,
I’m not allowed in schools.
God

Maybe it’s time to allow prayer in American schools.

A couple of things:

1. As others have pointed out, prayer was not "taken out" of public school. Ever. It is a lie that has been repeated so often that it has become an oft-cited ""fact"".

2. The idea that God can be "kicked out" of anywhere given the theological teachings that hold God as an omnipotent and omniscient being is odd. If God is everywhere, how can He be "kicked out"?

3. It is not the responsibility of the public school system to acknowledge God - or indeed, any God - or to encourage worship of Him. We have churches for religious instruction and edification. We have public schools to teach the fundamentals of reading, writing, arithmetic, history, etc.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see society doing the things you say they are doing, though there are some that do. You're not forcing kids to pray. Your forcing the teacher to say a prayer. She can read it from a card, if she'd like.

If a teacher reads a generic prayer from a card:

1. Isn't that cheapening something that should be as sacred as a prayer?
2. What about students who don't want to pray, for whatever reason? Why should they be compelled to pray to make you feel better?
3. What difference does it make whether a prayer is led by a teacher (who probably has no religious training and has no business leading anyone in prayer) or silently offered at a desk?
Ringo

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
do you mean a teacher should lead a class in prayer by telling students to get their prayer rugs and face the direction of Mecca?
No, just listen as the teacher prays out loud.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
A couple of things:

1. As others have pointed out, prayer was not "taken out" of public school. Ever. It is a lie that has been repeated so often that it has become an oft-cited ""fact"".

2. The idea that God can be "kicked out" of anywhere given the theological teachings that hold God as an omnipotent and omniscient being is odd. If God is everywhere, how can He be "kicked out"?

3. It is not the responsibility of the public school system to acknowledge God - or indeed, any God - or to encourage worship of Him. We have churches for religious instruction and edification. We have public schools to teach the fundamentals of reading, writing, arithmetic, history, etc.
Ringo
Our country is following the path of Sodom and Gomorrah. How would you go about changing the course of our country?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If a teacher reads a generic prayer from a card:

1. Isn't that cheapening something that should be as sacred as a prayer?
2. What about students who don't want to pray, for whatever reason? Why should they be compelled to pray to make you feel better?
3. What difference does it make whether a prayer is led by a teacher (who probably has no religious training and has no business leading anyone in prayer) or silently offered at a desk?
Ringo
Jesus taught us the Lord's prayer. I say it every night. I don't think it's cheap.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
  • Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
two things:

first you said: "I'm thinking about everybody starting the day at school with a prayer"

second: you are also saying: Lip service isn't really service. Which pretty much describes forcing a teacher to pray by reading something off of a card
No, reading a prayer off a card would be an option, if the teacher didn't want to make up a prayer on the spot. Under the "guidance" of Barack Obama, our country was going down the path of Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm looking for a way to reverse that trend.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, reading a prayer off a card would be an option, if the teacher didn't want to make up a prayer on the spot. Under the "guidance" of Barack Obama, our country was going down the path of Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm looking for a way to reverse that trend.
...we were:
Ezekiel 16:48–50 said:
48 As I live,” says the Lord God, “Sodom, your sister and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. 49 Behold, this was the sin of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters (outlying cities) had arrogance, abundant food, and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and committed repulsive acts before Me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.
Because to me? That sounds more like President Trumps administration then President Obamas. :wave:
tulc( just thought that should be pointed out)

• Winner
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
...we were:

Because to me? That sounds more like President Trumps administration then President Obamas. :wave:
tulc( just thought that should be pointed out)
No, Barack is the president who promoted homosexuality.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Barack is the president who promoted homosexuality.
...uhmmm...actually what he supported was equal rights for all Americans, not just, you know, the ones Republicans like. :wave:
tulc(still thinks that Scripture seems to describe President Trumps administration) :sorry:

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
...uhmmm...actually what he supported was equal rights for all Americans, not just, you know, the ones Republicans like. :wave:
tulc(still thinks that Scripture seems to describe President Trumps administration) :sorry:
If Barack Obama had been the president of Sodom and Gomorrah back in Bible days, would he have encouraged them to repent of their sin?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If Barack Obama had been the president of Sodom and Gomorrah back in Bible days, would he have encouraged them to repent of their sin?
Probably. But you and me also seem to disagree on what the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah was.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Recently I read this in the Bible:

The wicked shall depart to Sheol,
all the nations that forget God. Psalm 9:17 RSV

Then I saw this message on a T-shirt on Facebook:

Dear God,
Why do you allow so much violence in schools?
Signed,
a concerned student.

Dear Concerned Student,
I’m not allowed in schools.
God

Maybe it’s time to allow prayer in American schools.

If that had credibility then how do we account for shootings in churches?

Same outcome, different setting

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
No, reading a prayer off a card would be an option, if the teacher didn't want to make up a prayer on the spot.
Lip service.

and do you have any idea just how unconstitutional your idea is?

Under the "guidance" of Barack Obama, our country was going down the path of Sodom and Gomorrah. I'm looking for a way to reverse that trend.
American's have been overweight and unconcerned for decades.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If that had credibility then how do we account for shootings in churches?

Same outcome, different setting
Out nation is off course. Did you ever read about Sodom and Gomorrah? Don't see how school prayer could hurt anything.

Upvote 0