✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Parents:
Has anyone heard what your school plans to do in fall which is now less than 3 mos away?

We've heard nothing.
Wondering if I should sign our daughter up for one of the online schools in our state.

What are your plans?

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Parents:
Has anyone heard what your school plans to do in fall which is now less than 3 mos away?

We've heard nothing.
Wondering if I should sign our daughter up for one of the online schools in our state.

What are your plans?
Not a parent here but debating whether to be homeschooled for yet another year or to attend.
I think it depends on your city/town on how bad it got the virus.
Some say there will be half days, etc, etc.
I’d wait a little longer until you make your final decision.
My City, being one of the worst Coronavirus-cases here, is still figuring out plans

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
What state? What grade? I think schools will have to be open, even in NJ. The question is what format. Too many kids aren’t getting it online, and schools are de facto day care. NJ is a worst case because of the number of cases here. We won’t know details until mid June. Speculation is maybe half days or every other day, to limit density. I can see that, but it would still make it hard for many parents to work. Anywhere outside the NYC area or California I’d assume open with some precautions, eg masks. But it may not be decided finally for a while.

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure that schools in our city will reopen as usual. We attend a small private school but they follow the state/city schedule and I can't see them opening normally if the public schools are not. Or our school will stagger groups of students mixed with online learning or just completely do online learning. We probably won't send our child if it's a normal schedule. I'm a former teacher and am willing to teach at home. I hope the school will do online learning with materials for home. We are in a major urban area that was badly hit. Also our decision may ride on if we have antibodies or not and what that means. We may have all had mild covid. We just don't know right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We had an interesting situation prior to Covid. My son's middle and high school had an electrical fire that caused smoke damage throughout both buildings in January. The county schools shared the now displaced students and he was going Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday until Covid hit. The online schooling has just not been all that effective for us.

So I would not be surprised if schools ran an alternate schedule to spread out the student body with teachers rotating from classroom to classroom rather than students in the hallways.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Parents:

We've heard nothing.

What are your plans?

Here in San Diego East County they are not making any decisions regarding fall yet.
M

• Informative
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our preteen would be moving from a smaller Intermediate school to a middle school (grade 6, 7, 8 ) with 900 kids.
Be impossible to social distance on buses, lunchroom, even in classrooms.

When things closed down & school went to remote learning, it was difficult for teachers, many who have young kids at home, also. There was little online "face" time with teachers and it was only to "chat" not teach. Assignments were given but only 4 days worth. The kids are behind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our preteen would be moving from a smaller Intermediate school to a middle school (grade 6, 7, 8 ) with 900 kids.
Be impossible to social distance on buses, lunchroom, even in classrooms.

When things closed down & school went to remote learning, it was difficult for teachers, many who have young kids at home, also. There was little online "face" time with teachers and it was only to "chat" not teach. Assignments were given but only 4 days worth. The kids are behind.
Story of my life.
Always left behind.
I never did online homeschool though, I was “traditionally” homeschooled.
Paper and books are more effective.
Homeschool should generally be more than quizzes.
Praying for you and your kids, the feeling of getting left behind is one of the worst

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems internet learning is not best for most kids. My wife teaches third grade and at least 50% of her students have proven themselves to be real slackers when it comes to studying at home.

And the parents watching over them to see that they have their assignments completed
parents 75% slackers.

What parent would let their third grader show up to a Zoom class wearing their pajamas with bunny ears?
And several need to be told often NO EATING.

And then the ones that forget to even show up. Maybe because it was more important to go with mom or dad to Walmart?

I call it a hot mess.

M

• Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
No word in our city thus far. Illinois is still closed. I’ve homeschooled in the past. If I had small children I’d consider an online school that uses the classical education model or hire a tutor.

Check out The Well-Trained Mind community. They’re very knowledgeable. The Well-Trained Mind is a good resource for parents. The Great Courses Plus has programming for adults and teens. Classical Christian provides faith-based curriculum suggestions.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
@Mountainmanbob
that's funny re bunny ears

Honey your zoom class is about ready to start. Make sure you have your bunny ears on straight.

From what the teachers have witnessed here if the kids K-6 did a full school year on line they would probably only learn about 25% of what they would have learned in the classroom. Could even be a lower figure since some don't even show up at times. Sorry, I was busy walking our dog the other day. Couldn't help it because, grandma had my lunch ready.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The school district in the town next to ours has released their plans, but ours has not yet.

I'm very worried about it. My son has poor respiratory health, I don't feel it is safe for him to return to school if it isn't better than it was when they closed down back in March. Where we are, it's way worse than it was then.

I might be removing him from school and doing online public school. I'm waiting to see what things look like in mid-late July.

I'm one frightened mama!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not here, and I think it's way to early for any system to make a definite plan. They must be flexible and open to changes. Our gameplan as parents is this: we are registered for fall but if cases go back up and numbers climb we will be homeschooling unless the school is proactive in doing virtual. Possibly the school will do split classes or online only, it's too early to tell. I don't care about masks or distancing, we will do what it takes, but my main concern is the safety of the students, staff, and parents at home. I am hopeful that there will be more understanding of the virus by fall and maybe even some good treatments available. Basically we are in a wait and see mode with a backup plan.

• Informative
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Our school district just announced plans this week. They are allowing parents to choose.

Those who want their students to attend school in person will be permitted to. Parents will have to provide masks for their student unless they are unable to wear one for health reasons or are under the age of 10. Buses will run as usual, with no social distancing because that is not possible.

Those who do not want their child in school will be allowed to do distance learning at home, checking in daily with teachers online. Students who stay home for school, will still be serviced with special educational needs as best as possible.

• Informative
Upvote 0

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Instructions to schools below university level is at present common for all Norway: Plan for yellew level, prepare also for posssible red level within hour’s notice.

Levels are white-green-yellow-red, white being “business as usual” and red being “closed in full while school’s education given as internet lectures/homework delivered by internet” (all Norwegian schools have hard-/software making this possible). Yellow level means (applicable for compulsory edcation (to 16) + theoretically based pre-U).
  • Strictly NO handshaking.
  • Maximum 25 pupils into one room (normally 25/28/30 (6-7/7-13/13-16) when one educated teacher, 50/56/60 when two, none of them designated a certain pupil). .
  • Each pupil’s desk/chair to be in the middle of an area of 1.25 meters (4’ 1”) in square, duly marked onto floor using visible yellow or red tape. In additon two, three or four “aisles” min 1 meter (3’3”) to teacher’s area/blackboard and entrance/sink marked the same way. (Isn’t this possible within classoom, number of persons in class to be redused!).
  • For subjects not requiering special conditions (music, art/craft, cooking, physical education, science traing in a laboratorium) one designated classroom for each class/group and as far as possible one/two teachers teaching all subjects. When a specialized teacher is required, teacher moves to class and never opposite. (Standard white/green level requirement for 6-13, at yellow/red level also valid for 13-16 and at red level also valid for 17-19).
  • Windows to be kept open for air circulation when rooms in use. If not possible (weather, noice etc), maximum lessons 20 minuts followed by a break 5 minutes outside while windows are fully opened. Is’t that possible eigher, red level for the class rest of the day.
  • One part of school yard for each class, passing other class’/classes’ yard allowed when able to be done within 45 seconds in total. Duly marking of parts, min one one yard warden pr part.
  • Minimum distance of 1 meter (3’3”) outside in breaks (not valid for twins, triples, etc)
  • Stricly NO inhouse breaks except 15 minutes lunch break
  • Hand waching (always when dirty) or use of santizer, both upon staff’s supervision each and every time passing a door, exept to corridors not intended to stay into.
  • Stricktly NO sharing of education material between two pupils except for siblings living in the same household.
  • Strictly NO common education material/equipment to be shared in two/more classes without desinfection
  • Stricly NO use of bus, train or other way of cooperated transport to/from school when distance home-school is 2/4/6/9 kms (1.33/2.66/4/6 miles) or below for age 6-7/7-13/13-16/16-19). Walk, bike, ski (winter) or get driven by one a family/household member.
  • School canteens to remain completely closed (very few schools have one), “niste” (sandwich(es) + water/milk/tea/coffee from home) to be brougt into private sandwich boxes/thermo cans and to be eaten in class’ classroom compulsory for everyone.
  • Education in cooking: Strict hand hygiene supervisored bys staff. No food not heatend to min 150/300 degreess C/F. Alternative ways of education to be used as much as possible.
  • Education in music: Any hand-held intstrument not being the pupil’s private property + tangets on pianos/organs duly desinfected after each person’s use.
  • Physical educations: Outside and/or in last lesson whenever possible. No traing not fullfilling social distance. Wardrobe in class ordinary classoom, shirt/shorts under ordinary apparel and shower at home (making a common change to P E lessons for boys and girls possible)
  • Increased cleaning: Toalets/sinks/doorknobs/stair railings/wardrobe hingers (when common) etc to be duly sanitzed twice a day , Soap, sanitizer and single-use paper towels always available in toilets and classooms. All rooms in building duly washed every day used (white level: min twice a week)
  • Any pupil during the day shows sign of “possible Corona-related” to be isolated in designated room immidiately, parents called for pick-up.of student and siebling(s) at school. To be kept home for two weeks or until test results for all family/household are received. Every room in school used /possible used of the pupil/siblings to be duly santized before further use, as is schools toalets/sinks
And just a reminder: Norway has last 60/30/15/5 days had <6/3/1/0.2 possible Corona-realated deads pr million inhabitants, thus at present allowing yellow level and not read level as “most realistic case” for schools. Any significant increase again and red level will be ordered. Better safe than sorry!

• Informative
Upvote 0