Scholars rank Trump as the 44th greatest president

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I read a similar article that showed his overall ranking, then his ranking by Democratic, Independent/Other and Republican scholars. He is consistently ranked at or near the bottom. What is more interesting is the presidents at the top and bottom of the list are relatively consistent regardless of politics (albeit a few biases, like Obama in the Democratic top 10 and Reagan in the Republican top 10).

The article: How Does Trump Stack Up Against the Best — and Worst — Presidents?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The main failing of such a poll is that you cannot evaluate a president's performance in office until his time in office has been completed. So to include the current president who has served only one year...in conjunction with 44 others whose terms were finished and "in the books" is a mistake.

Any competent historian knows not to make serious determinations on facts that haven't settled in yet, but here we have a poll conducted not for academic purposes so much as for publicity and the readers' curiosity--something like Lake Superior State University's annual list of banned words. You know that none of them actually get banned, but it's fun.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed Albion. You really need to allow enough time--some would say ten years, others would say as long as 50 years--to see what effect a president's policies have had. For example, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Eisenhower has moved up in the rankings as time has passed while presidents like Hays and Cleveland have moved down.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard that Obama was ranked the 5th greatest president.
Trump and Lincoln tied for first, Washington and Reagan tied for second,
almost everybody else tied for third, Carter was 4th greatest,
and Obama was ranked the 5th greatest president.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I heard that Obama was ranked the 5th greatest president.
Trump and Lincoln tied for first, Washington and Reagan tied for second,
almost everybody else tied for third, Carter was 4th greatest,
and Obama was ranked the 5th greatest president.
If you heard something, you should find the source of that information and present it hear. If you can't verify what you heard, then what you heard is likely wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you heard something, you should find the source of that information and present it hear. If you can't verify what you heard, then what you heard is likely wrong.
I don't think everything I can't remember a source for is likely wrong. I learned a lot of things in school and in 65 years of living that I know are right, but I don't remember where I learned them, who taught me them, or even when I learned them. You might want to rethink your your "likely wrong" comment. But I will research what I said and try to get it on this thread. I know I didn't quote it exact, but just want to give the gist of the idea. It wasn't that important to research as it is obviously not true, just humorous.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't think everything I can't remember a source for is likely wrong. I learned a lot of things in school and in 65 years of living that I know are right, but I don't remember where I learned them, who taught me them, or even when I learned them. You might want to rethink your your "likely wrong" comment. But I will research what I said and try to get it on this thread. I know I didn't quote it exact, but just want to give the gist of the idea. It wasn't that important to research as it is obviously not true, just humorous.
Well I have to apologize, I didn't realize it was a Poe. :doh:

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"scholars" huh?
I love it. Scholars. Scholars are students, and a lot of students fail.
Someone once said "Experts are just spurts under pressure."
I don't have total confidence in "scholars."
Often it depends on what schooling these "students" have had.
There are so many schools that teach erroneous things.... like evolution; like situation ethics, like humanism, like false religions, like.... need I go on????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't understand the phrase "it was a Poe." Care to enlighten me?
Poe's Law, named after a user here on CF:

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Without a smiley, it is sometimes hard to decode if someone is serious... :sigh:

I love it. Scholars. Scholars are students, and a lot of students fail.
Someone once said "Experts are just spurts under pressure."
I don't have total confidence in "scholars."
Often it depends on what schooling these "students" have had.
There are so many schools that teach erroneous things.... like evolution; like situation ethics, like humanism, like false religions, like.... need I go on????
This is the perfect example of a Poe, are you really saying teaching evolution is an erroneous thing?

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Poe's Law, named after a user here on CF:

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Without a smiley, it is sometimes hard to decode if someone is serious... :sigh:

This is the perfect example of a Poe, are you really saying teaching evolution is an erroneous thing?
Thanks for the explanation. I would think more people would understand my humor than would know what "Poe's Law" is, but then again my thinking is not always correct ....;)

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Thanks for the explanation. I would think more people would understand my humor than would know what "Poe's Law" is, but then again my thinking is not always correct ....;)
Poe's Law gets the best of us, I think it's partly because there are people out there who say things non-humorously. :)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Found the problem...

"Roughly 57% of the respondents were Democrats, 13% were Republicans and 27% were independents (3% selected "Other")."

The folks who conducted the poll broke out the results by party of the respondent. IIRC, Dems had him dead last, independents had him next-to-last, and Republicans had him 5th from last.

Yes, it's too early to levy a comprehensive judgment. But everybody still thinks he's crap.

Upvote 0