Scholarly/intellectual background and supernatural experiences - anyone else after Paul?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Question: Have there been any Christians with a scholarly/intellectual background who had an overtly supernatural conversion or supernatural experiences after their conversion?

The apostle Paul is the first example that comes to mind, given (1) his scholarly background as a former Pharisee and (2) his supernatural conversion on the way to Damascus, as well as all the miracles, signs and wonders he performed during his apostolic ministry. Have there been any others? What about more recent times?

Note: by scholarly/intellectual background I mean someone with a strong intellectual formation. That certainly includes people with a doctorate in a theological/philosophical field, but also engineers, physicists, mathematicians, scientists, etc., and, in general, anyone with evidence of "intellectual prowess".

Note: by overtly supernatural I mean any kind of experience which would be hard to explain away as coincidence, random chance or mere psychology/suggestion.

Last edited:

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Question: Have there been any Christians with a scholarly/intellectual background who had a overtly supernatural conversion or supernatural experiences after their conversion?

The apostle Paul is the first example that comes to mind, given (1) his scholarly background as a former Pharisee and (2) his supernatural conversion on the way to Damascus, as well as all the miracles, signs and wonders he performed during his apostolic ministry. Have there been any others? What about more recent times?

Note: by scholarly/intellectual background I mean someone with a strong intellectual formation. That certainly includes people with a doctorate in a theological/philosophical field, but also engineers, physicists, mathematicians, scientists, etc., and, in general, anyone with evidence of "intellectual prowess".

Note: by overtly supernatural I mean any kind of experience which would be hard to explain away as coincidence, random chance or mere psychology/suggestion.

St. Thomas Aquinas comes to mind immediately. He studied and wrote some of the greatest works of theology and philosophy for years, then had a divine experience in which he ceased to write again and died later. IIRC it was heard during it by another brother that the Lord said that he had written well of Him.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Question: Have there been any Christians with a scholarly/intellectual background who had a overtly supernatural conversion or supernatural experiences after their conversion?

1) Yes

2) This was in the aftermath of being in the Charismatic movement

3) I got to say I was and still am put off by the anti-intellectual bent of that movement and have even had threads here talking about that.

Anti-intellectualism and hostility to Theology

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Question: Have there been any Christians with a scholarly/intellectual background who had an overtly supernatural conversion or supernatural experiences after their conversion?

"Hard to explain away" by whom? There are many who have a scholarly/intellectual background who find more amazement that their desire for God surpasses all other things, and at the witness of the Spirit of God within them, than that they had some kind of vision/ revelation/ life-changing experience. Worse, any claims, even along with witnesses to the event, made concerning such a thing are automatically discarded as bogus by those who will not believe. They use all the three (coincidence, random chance or mere psychology/suggestion) plus other explanations for the 'event' such as "You are lying, being greedy, seeking fame....etc." Not many scholarly/intellectual people care to go through all that. Nor, as it was necessary in Paul's case as verification that he was an apostle of Christ, is it necessary to establish the veracity of mission of any intellectual/scholarly person nowadays —there are no more apostles speaking new revelation. The canon is closed.

Doubtless, many have not made public, things that have happened to them along the lines you describe. None of the scholarly/intellectual category immediately come to mind. In fact, the ones I have heard (not related to scholarly/intellectual people) I am skeptical of and most of which I outright disbelieve —not that I don't think they saw or experienced something, but I disbelieve the claims of what they take the experience to be or to mean.

And not to call myself intellectual/scholarly, but the astounding life-changing vision/whatever-that-was that I had, years ago, did not affect me nearly as much as the ongoing grace of Christ on my behalf.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope I am not out of order - on the face of it my return to Christ and subsequent privilege to be associated with the miraculous would seem to fit the category you are interested in. I was a computer engineer and an academic in Phenomenology of Religion and Sociological research.

I am not seeking attention but I am being honest about my journey.

I was not a prominent academic I have only one research paper with my name. I am currently still working in with projects at a university level in the field of electronics. I am currently working on a global communication system to give early response to natural disasters and people groups under pressure.

I continue to see healings occur through prayer and folks released from spiritual bondage.

I am sure there will be others on CF who might fit your category of interest better than I do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ss51

Sep 12, 2015
✟66,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The work of Derek Prince is still a very valuable source of truth for walking in the power and authority of Christ.
I as well experience the supernatural working of God on a regular basis.
From the first chapter of Genesis we are shown how we were always intended to experience God, not merely meet once a week to hear someone talk about Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jack Hayford is one that comes to mind. He is the guy behind the Spirit-Filled Life Bible and graduated from Life Pacific University and Azusa Pacific University. He has a great testimony on when he was miraculously healed of an illness as a baby and later of polio.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My professor for my preaching and teaching the Bible class at Regent University pointed me towards J. Rodman Williams. He wrote "Renewal Theology: Systematic Theology From a Charismatic Perspective."

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My professor for my preaching and teaching the Bible class at Regent University pointed me towards J. Rodman Williams. He wrote "Renewal Theology: Systematic Theology From a Charismatic Perspective."
Three-volume Systematic Theology.
- The first complete Systematic Theology..from a Charismatic perspective.
---
I have a single volume (published..later).

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Three-volume Systematic Theology.
- The first complete Systematic Theology..from a Charismatic perspective.
---
I have a single volume (published..later).

The most widely available one, the one that is available for a somewhat reasonable price on Amazon (about $90) is all 3 volumes in one book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The most widely available one, the one that is available for a somewhat reasonable price on Amazon (about $90) is all 3 volumes in one book.
It was published 'as a single volume'..in 1996.
- That is the one I have.
---
Charismatic movement had an impact on/influence..
- My spiritual journey..in1970's.

Upvote 0