✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you, RoseCrystal! The following is especially true:

211. And, as older more experienced persons, in particular, men who hold the priesthood, COP and its agent-leaders at all relevant times stood in a dominant position to GADDY and the Class. Indeed, GADDY and persons similarly situated are those who are groomed as children to follow the Mormon leaders without question. The following precepts have been and still are published and often repeated to GADDY and those similarly situated: “When the prophet has spoken the thinking is done.” And, “...it is wrong to criticize the prophet, even if that criticism is true,” which are dangerous precepts that lead to the mind control of the young and innocent.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Mormons.pdf

When I requested that my name be removed from their records, they requested that I attend a bishop's court. I declined. I was excommunicated for wanting my name removed. The church policy has been changed so that they can't excommunicate members who request to have their membership cancelled.

See:
Disciplinary council - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
False teachers don't teach those of us who are Christ's followers. False teachers don't understand spiritual things.
You keep calling me a false teacher, but I teach straight out of the bible, and I too am a follower of Christ. Lot's of people do no understand spiritual things. You have to be a spiritual person to understand spiritual things. Most people are not.

If I were giving you scriptures from our other scriptures, I could see you calling me a false teacher, but when I teach from the same holy bible that you teach from, it is hard to know why you call me a false teacher. Are you a false teacher?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The basis of her lawsuit is that the church lied on purpose, and she believed them and lived her life a certain way based on those lies. Including massive financial losses in tithing and years of personal time.

The church knew that the book of Abraham was not what they said it was, they had physical evidence they kept hidden for decades, the same with the book of mormon (whole rock in the hat thing). While this information is now available to members on church websites, it wasn't always that way. For a long time the church knew about this information and continued to put forth lies to their members.

Thus this lady is saying if she had known all these facts (that the church knew and hid from her) she wouldn't have joined and she wouldn't have given them all that money. I actually think she has a pretty good shot at winning, its fair enough, and if you take all the spiritual stuff out of it, very logical. I also think she's pretty gutsy lodging in Utah

I don't think main stream christian sects have anything to worry about. They wholeheartedly believe what they are teaching - and didn't cover up a whole heap of evidence on purposes to the contrary for decades. And if they did and someone proves it, then they deserve to go down for it.
The church has not held back facts that are pertinent to our religion. Anybody with any wisdom can study and learn everything that is available regarding anything about our religion.

Just the idea that you have wasted your money giving tithing to the church is a red-flag. We have always been taught from the bible and other scriptures that our tithing is to be given to the Lord to build up his kingdom, to take care of the poor, for building worship centers etc., etc., etc. As Malachi says, pay your tithing and I will open up the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that you will not be able to contain it.

IOW it is a blessing to give our tithing to the Lord, and he blesses us for giving, one hundred fold.

If this woman has been giving her tithing and now wants it back, she obviously has not got the right attitude of giving to the Lord, and that tells me she is not in this suit in a righteous cause.

I do wish the church would give her tithing back to her, we, or the Lord does not need her money wrapped in anger and insult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, RoseCrystal! The following is especially true:

211. And, as older more experienced persons, in particular, men who hold the priesthood, COP and its agent-leaders at all relevant times stood in a dominant position to GADDY and the Class. Indeed, GADDY and persons similarly situated are those who are groomed as children to follow the Mormon leaders without question. The following precepts have been and still are published and often repeated to GADDY and those similarly situated: “When the prophet has spoken the thinking is done.” And, “...it is wrong to criticize the prophet, even if that criticism is true,” which are dangerous precepts that lead to the mind control of the young and innocent.
https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Mormons.pdf

When I requested that my name be removed from their records, they requested that I attend a bishop's court. I declined. I was excommunicated for wanting my name removed. The church policy has been changed so that they can't excommunicate members who request to have their membership cancelled.

See:
Disciplinary council - Wikipedia
The reason for that is so many people in the moment, ask that their records be esponged from the records of the church. Only to have these same people, repent and come back a few years later and ask for their records to be put back into the records of the church.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
You keep calling me a false teacher, but I teach straight out of the bible

This is what all Christianity-based cults do, Peter. You don't believe the Unification Church ('The Moonies') is true just because they too teach "straight out of the Bible", do you? Or for that matter mainstream churches like those of the Baptists, the Presbyterians, the Lutherans, the Catholics, etc., who can also all say that they teach "straight out of the Bible". Recall the very same holy scriptures, which caution us that "even the demons believe -- and tremble" (James 2:19). There is also the example of Christ telling the unclean spirit which proclaimed Him the the holy one of God to keep silent (Mark 1:23-25), as the truth (which that certainly was and is) may be profaned when being preached by a demonic source.

If you do not heed these warnings it is very possible to be taken in by someone or some organization preaching from the Bible something other than the Christian faith as it has been established since the beginning. Indeed that is what has happened in the case of Mormonism. You do not see it, but you are swimming in it.

and I too am a follower of Christ.

That is simply not true, unfortunately. You are a follower of Joseph Smith's revelations which he claimed to receive from Christ, but we know by comparing them to what we have already received that their source is not a Godly one.

Lot's of people do no understand spiritual things. You have to be a spiritual person to understand spiritual things. Most people are not.

This sounds like more Mormon Gnosticism. If most people are not spiritual, and only the 'spiritual people' can understand spiritual things, then what are you doing bothering with the majority of people to begin with? What are your 'spirit missionaries' teaching in the afterlife -- remedial math? Physical education? Telestial home economics?

If I were giving you scriptures from our other scriptures, I could see you calling me a false teacher, but when I teach from the same holy bible that you teach from, it is hard to know why you call me a false teacher. Are you a false teacher?

If I teach Christian principles by picking what is acceptable from the Bhagavad Gita, does that make me a Hindu? If I do the same from the Qur'an, am I then a Muslim? Being able to do eisegesis on a text does not make someone anything in particular, beyond a person who is looking to support his or her agenda by reading into the text what they want to be there because it fits their preexisting religious system.

• Agree
Reactions: BigDaddy4
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
: “When the prophet has spoken the thinking is done.” And, “...it is wrong to criticize the prophet, even if that criticism is true,”

That is postiviely wicked!!!

No, it's positively canned and bland.

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

The original statement was from a publication released in 1945, and appears to have been about specific matters of doctrine.

Since then, the church has made clear that people are to study things out for themselves, do their own research, and form their own conclusions.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The original statement was from a publication released in 1945, and appears to have been about specific matters of doctrine.

1945?

Besides, whether 1945 or 2007 or any other year, it is wrong on its face.

I know this might be hard to understand when you're involved in a restorationist religion that believes in 'ongoing revelation', but for people outside of that paradigm truth is not time-sensitive.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Since then, the church has made clear that people are to study things out for themselves, do their own research, and form their own conclusions.

Can't criticize a prophet of when the critic is true? And you have the gall to say that, that is bland and canned??!! You are bland and canned to think this was ever OK!!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The reason for that is so many people in the moment, ask that their records be esponged from the records of the church. Only to have these same people, repent and come back a few years later and ask for their records to be put back into the records of the church.

My greatest repentance was leaving Joseph Smith for Christ.

2 Corinthians 6
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

If you only understood --- it's better to have Jesus!

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

BTW, I've known lots or ex-Mormons who NEVER went back. People leave for various reasons. Instead of leaving Christ, as Mormons think I did, I left JS and BY to follow Jesus!

Proverbs 22
19 That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Sheep.gif Christian Tiny Magenta Cross.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Can't criticize a prophet of when the critic is true? And you have the gall to say that, that is bland and canned??!! You are bland and canned to think this was ever OK!!

I'm saying "you're stuck on something said 70+ years ago and so aren't aware of how things actually operate nowadays."

As I and so many others have tried to note, a *lot* of the arguments people keep trying to use are canned arguments that no longer have any real weight.

I imagine I've done more research into arguments against the church than 80% of the critics I run into on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying "you're stuck on something said 70+ years ago and so aren't aware of how things actually operate nowadays."

As I and so many others have tried to note, a *lot* of the arguments people keep trying to use are canned arguments that no longer have any real weight.

I imagine I've done more research into arguments against the church than 80% of the critics I run into on a daily basis.

I see---so because it was said 70 years ago, it is no longer valid. In which case---you might as well throw out the whole bible, it is much, much older than that. For that matter---so is the whole BOM and everything else.

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

We really shouldn't pay too much attention to what the serpent said, it was 1000's of years ago, it "no longer has any real weight!"----Well, it never did, but they bought it anyway. A lie is a lie is a lie.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I see---so because it was said 70 years ago, it is no longer valid.

More like "in the time since then, the opinion represented by that statement has largely fallen by the wayside, and so it's not fair or honest to continue trying to hit people with it."

It's that simple.

While people who are in flagrant opposition to official church teachings have some explaining to do, beyond that it's understood that it's on the person to study things out for themselves.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
My greatest repentance was leaving Joseph Smith for Christ.

2 Corinthians 6
16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

If you only understood --- it's better to have Jesus!
We do, if you only understood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
BTW, I've known lots or ex-Mormons who NEVER went back. People leave for various reasons. Instead of leaving Christ, as Mormons think I did, I left JS and BY and to follow Jesus!

Proverbs 22
19 That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263401 View attachment 263402
We trust the Lord too, but we also trust those that he has sent.
John 13:20 King James Version (KJV)
20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

This scripture was to reassure us that whomsoever Jesus sends, we are to receive them, just as we would receive him. So when you say you left Mormonism for Christ, I am sure you have got him, but you are leaving his servants behind and they have a lot of good information from Jesus that you know not of. Sorry for your loss.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟428,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
More like "in the time since then, the opinion represented by that statement has largely fallen by the wayside, and so it's not fair or honest to continue trying to hit people with it."

It's that simple.

Then why did one of your high-ranking leaders (I believe it is Elder Oaks, but you would know them on sight better than I) repeat it as recently in 2007, if that opinion is so discredited in Mormonism now? (See the video in post #28, where he says exactly that at ~0:33-0:40)

While people who are in flagrant opposition to official church teachings have some explaining to do, beyond that it's understood that it's on the person to study things out for themselves.

But only from LDS-approved/'faith affirming' sources, right? So it's not really studying things out for themselves.

And I'm sure there's a faith affirming way to interpret "It is wrong to criticize leaders of the church, even if the criticism is true." :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Then why did one of your high-ranking leaders (I believe it is Elder Oaks, but you would know them on sight better than I) repeat it as recently in 2007, if that opinion is so discredited in Mormonism now? (See the video in post #28, where he says exactly that at ~0:33-0:40)

But only from LDS-approved/'faith affirming' sources, right? So it's not really studying things out for themselves.

And I'm sure there's a faith affirming way to interpret "It is wrong to criticize leaders of the church, even if the criticism is true." :rolleyes:
People criticized Moses, People criticized Abraham, People criticized Peter, People criticized Paul, and where did it get them? Jesus said keep the commandments. LOVE your neighbor as yourself. I think it is best to LOVE one another.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
People criticized Moses, People criticized Abraham, People criticized Peter, People criticized Paul, and where did it get them? Jesus said keep the commandments. LOVE your neighbor as yourself. I think it is best to LOVE one another.

Tell that to Joseph Smith who appointed himself judge of every person who disagreed with his lies!

His deeds and teachings were evil and the Bible (word of God) tells us to expose those deeds and false teachings! If we warn someone it isn't unloving just because you think it is. My 2-yr.-old daughter burned her hand on a hot stove and required medical attention. After her hand healed she tried to touch the hot stove again. I yelled, "No!" and ran to pull her away.

Don't pretend that you are loving and we aren't. That's the same as criticizing us.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Tell that to Joseph Smith who appointed himself judge of every person who disagreed with his lies!

His deeds and teachings were evil and the Bible (word of God) tells us to expose those deeds and false teachings! If we warn someone it isn't unloving just because you think it is. My 2-yr.-old daughter burned her hand on a hot stove and required medical attention. After her hand healed she tried to touch the hot stove again. I yelled, "No!" and ran to pull her away.

Don't pretend that you are loving and we aren't. That's the same as criticizing us.
Joseph Smith did not appoint himself prophet, God appointed him prophet. The prophets of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints are not evil. I did not say that I was loving and other people aren't. I said "I think it is best to LOVE one another." Teaching people to keep the commandments is not evil either.:

(New Testament | Matthew 5:17 - 20)

17 ¶ Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0