Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Scathing Lawsuit Seeks Punitive Damages From Mormon Church
August 6, 2019JONNY BONNER
SALT LAKE CITY (CN) — A federal lawsuit sure to get attention in Utah claims that the “Mormon Corporate Empire” has driven worshipers to existential crises, suicide, anxiety and depression by peddling a “scheme of lies” centered on the religion’s creation and its scriptures, a onetime member claims.

The angel Moroni, an icon of the Mormon faith.
Laura Gaddy on Monday filed a scathing, 75-page class action against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Sain

is there a pdf file of the brief online?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
SALT LAKE CITY (CN) — A federal lawsuit sure to get attention in Utah claims that the “Mormon Corporate Empire” has driven worshipers to existential crises, suicide, anxiety and depression by peddling a “scheme of lies” centered on the religion’s creation and its scriptures, a onetime member claims.

Laura Gaddy on Monday filed a scathing, 75-page class action against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Sain

Scathing nothingburger.

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
This has been tried before, unsuccessfully. I hope the filers of the lawsuit are aware of and have learned from the mistakes of the past attempts so as to not repeat them now.

There is also this:

Lord have mercy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟830,504.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

they can try to get the court case heard outside of Utah, where the judge and/or jury won't be dominated by Mormons. They will have a better chance of winning that way.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

I believe that this lawsuit will be dismissed. Otherwise every church will be at risk for the same outlandish lawsuits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is true:

“The material facts upon which Mormonism is based have been manipulated through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion and or obfuscation by the [LDS] to contrive an inducement to faith in Mormonism’s core beliefs,” the complaint states.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
This is true:

“The material facts upon which Mormonism is based have been manipulated through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion and or obfuscation by the [LDS] to contrive an inducement to faith in Mormonism’s core beliefs,” the complaint states.
It is not true.

We cannot give one the "meat" until they are ready for it. Ask Paul as he tried to give the "meat" to the Corinthians? Same problem only 2000 years later. Was Paul and the bible manipulating through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion, and or obfuscation by the apostles of Jesus to contrive an inducement to faith in Jesus's core beliefs?

If she wins this suit, look out Christian churches of the world, you will be the next to get sued for exactly the same misplaced ideas.
For instance, one could say: They told me that all I had to do was believe in Jesus and I would be saved, intentionally manipulating me by concealment, misrepresentation, and the distortion of the bible truth. As I continued to read the bible, I found out that there were many other things that were important to salvation that they did not tell me about and they hinted about hell, but my goodness, I never in my life felt like I was going there, but my studies point out that if this and that do not happen, I can go to hell easily.

My mind and my nerves are so frayed now, I don't know what to do. So I decided to fight back with this law suit. I can just see it coming, if this person wins this law suit.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is not true.

We cannot give one the "meat" until they are ready for it.

That is a very prejudicial and arrogant statement that fits right in with your denying non-Mormons attendance at temple weddings of their children and grandchildren!

Ask Paul as he tried to give the "meat" to the Corinthians? Same problem only 2000 years later. Was Paul and the bible manipulating through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion, and or obfuscation by the apostles of Jesus to contrive an inducement to faith in Jesus's core beliefs?

We can't discuss this topic until you learn what meat is.

For instance, one could say: They told me that all I had to do was believe in Jesus and I would be saved, intentionally manipulating me by concealment, misrepresentation, and the distortion of the bible truth.

You can't compare apples to oranges! :doh:

As I continued to read the bible, I found out that there were many other things that were important to salvation that they did not tell me about and they hinted about hell, but my goodness, I never in my life felt like I was going there, but my studies point out that if this and that do not happen, I can go to hell easily.

My mind and my nerves are so frayed now, I don't know what to do. So I decided to fight back with this law suit. I can just see it coming, if this person wins this law suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
That is a very prejudicial and arrogant statement that fits right in with your denying non-Mormons attendance at temple weddings of their children and grandchildren!
This is not prejudicial or arrogant, this is straight out of the bible. Can't teach people meat until they understand the milk. Biblical.

We can't discuss this topic until you learn what meat is.

I told you in another post what the meat is. You know some of it through your study of Mormonism. It is not rocket science.

You can't compare apples to oranges!

In religious lawsuits, there are no apples to oranges, it is all low hanging fruit to be grabbed at by a deranged ex-anything that thinks they have been wronged.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you know this person?

What if she is doing this to fraudulently attack the church for money? Do we still pray for her to succeed in her fraudulent pursuit?

Hi Peter, by praying for her God can convict her of that sin and maybe she will drop the suit.

If She is honest, God will give her wisdom for a better way to handle it all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is not true.

We cannot give one the "meat" until they are ready for it. Ask Paul as he tried to give the "meat" to the Corinthians? Same problem only 2000 years later. Was Paul and the bible manipulating through intentional concealment, misrepresentation, distortion, and or obfuscation by the apostles of Jesus to contrive an inducement to faith in Jesus's core beliefs?

If she wins this suit, look out Christian churches of the world, you will be the next to get sued for exactly the same misplaced ideas.
For instance, one could say: They told me that all I had to do was believe in Jesus and I would be saved, intentionally manipulating me by concealment, misrepresentation, and the distortion of the bible truth. As I continued to read the bible, I found out that there were many other things that were important to salvation that they did not tell me about and they hinted about hell, but my goodness, I never in my life felt like I was going there, but my studies point out that if this and that do not happen, I can go to hell easily.

Many things that are being hidden are basic teachings, thus milk.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is not prejudicial or arrogant, this is straight out of the bible. Can't teach people meat until they understand the milk. Biblical.

I told you in another post what the meat is. You know some of it through your study of Mormonism. It is not rocket science.

False teachers don't teach those of us who are Christ's followers. False teachers don't understand spiritual things.

Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Mormons.pdf

Here you go, apparently there is an error in it that is being corrected. Also the error will not effect the basis or claims of the lawsuit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is not true.

The basis of her lawsuit is that the church lied on purpose, and she believed them and lived her life a certain way based on those lies. Including massive financial losses in tithing and years of personal time.

The church knew that the book of Abraham was not what they said it was, they had physical evidence they kept hidden for decades, the same with the book of mormon (whole rock in the hat thing). While this information is now available to members on church websites, it wasn't always that way. For a long time the church knew about this information and continued to put forth lies to their members.

Thus this lady is saying if she had known all these facts (that the church knew and hid from her) she wouldn't have joined and she wouldn't have given them all that money. I actually think she has a pretty good shot at winning, its fair enough, and if you take all the spiritual stuff out of it, very logical. I also think she's pretty gutsy lodging in Utah

I don't think main stream christian sects have anything to worry about. They wholeheartedly believe what they are teaching - and didn't cover up a whole heap of evidence on purposes to the contrary for decades. And if they did and someone proves it, then they deserve to go down for it.

Upvote 0