• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ozious

Jun 22, 2016
United States
✟21,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So I've been putting off reading the Bible for some time now because, well, I'm afraid to.

To put things into context, I've struggled with really bad scrupulosity for a good majority of my life, and I've had to deal with it on my own. A lot of what I dealt with had to do with morality issues and spiritual conviction. Over these past few years, I've sharpened my conscience and stabilized my convictions. For the most part I'm a lot better than I was many years ago, but I still have my moments and things that trigger old habits.

Anyways, the reason I'm so hesitant on continuing reading the Bible is because I'm afraid I might subconsciously take verses out of context and make myself needlessly miserable. Even if I know the context of whatever verse I read, I can't help the intrusive thoughts that make me second guess myself. One instance of this is [Matthew 19:21]. At one point I stressed over this because I thought if I wanted to live a "perfect life" and please God, I needed to leave the life I had and go become a solitary monk of some sorts. Of course, with a better understanding of the Bible, I don't think that now.

But that's the general idea of why. I've read through the Bible once already, and I have a good idea of what God wants for me and it's teachings (plus previous understanding from attending church). I'm just so scared my convictions might get messed up again, and I'll relapse to how I was years ago. A lot of other Christians talk about how much joy reading the Bible and how much time they spend reading it, and hearing all this makes me feel so left out and different, like I'm doing something wrong or I don't have the Spirit.

Not only that, but I also do all sorts of other legalistic rituals while reading the Bible, but that's a can of worms I don't want to open right now.

I'm just really tired of being afraid of the one thing that's suppose to give me joy.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I've heard it said that courage isn't about not being afraid...it's about being very afraid, yet moving towards that object...or figment of dread.

What about when you remember certain verses you have read...is there fear?

Upvote 0

Christ inme

Jul 24, 2019
Liverpool
✟8,324.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you repent from all sins and call on Jesus, He is faithful and just to save you from all your sins. What should we say then? Should we continue in sin so that grace may multiply? Absolutely not! How can we who died to sin still live in it? Or are you unaware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore we were buried with Him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in a new way of life.
Romans 6:1‭-‬4 HCSB
With this new life reading the Bible will become life to you, inside of you will be rivers of living waters.
To live the christian life you need to take your cross and follow Jesus. There's a need to deny self daily. This is how the apostle Paul and all the others we read about did. And that is what God requires of us.

Upvote 0

steelcityd

Feb 14, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟22,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I've been putting off reading the Bible for some time now because, well, I'm afraid to.

To put things into context, I've struggled with really bad scrupulosity for a good majority of my life, and I've had to deal with it on my own. A lot of what I dealt with had to do with morality issues and spiritual conviction. Over these past few years, I've sharpened my conscience and stabilized my convictions. For the most part I'm a lot better than I was many years ago, but I still have my moments and things that trigger old habits.

Anyways, the reason I'm so hesitant on continuing reading the Bible is because I'm afraid I might subconsciously take verses out of context and make myself needlessly miserable. Even if I know the context of whatever verse I read, I can't help the intrusive thoughts that make me second guess myself. One instance of this is [Matthew 19:21]. At one point I stressed over this because I thought if I wanted to live a "perfect life" and please God, I needed to leave the life I had and go become a solitary monk of some sorts. Of course, with a better understanding of the Bible, I don't think that now.

But that's the general idea of why. I've read through the Bible once already, and I have a good idea of what God wants for me and it's teachings (plus previous understanding from attending church). I'm just so scared my convictions might get messed up again, and I'll relapse to how I was years ago. A lot of other Christians talk about how much joy reading the Bible and how much time they spend reading it, and hearing all this makes me feel so left out and different, like I'm doing something wrong or I don't have the Spirit.

Not only that, but I also do all sorts of other legalistic rituals while reading the Bible, but that's a can of worms I don't want to open right now.

I'm just really tired of being afraid of the one thing that's suppose to give me joy.

Greetings Ozious,

I can relate to not wanting to read the Bible at times for very similar reasons. I know how difficult it can be to have a certain amount of fear and anxiety about reading the very thing that is meant to bring joy and peace. You're not alone in this! Praying for you!

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Matthew Mark Luke and John are nice but you need to realise most of it is still Old Testament untill Jesus actually died and ressurrected , moreover it was preached to Jews . Focus on reading what Paul wrote to different churches and his guidance on what to do in his books .

Also when you read Bible pray to Holy Spirit for guidance before you start learning.

Don't act like others , be yourself . People like to sing songs and I don't like to do it aswell they seem happy while doing it but it does nothing for me ( maybe cuz I have crap voice ). Likewise reading Bible it doesn't have to make you happy you can just learn the truths from it and that's it .

What God wants you , me and everybody else to do is to share gospel with unbelievers it's the number 1 priority so if you want to do something productive reach unbelievers .
Definition by Paul is found in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Upvote 0

Ozious

Jun 22, 2016
United States
✟21,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've heard it said that courage isn't about not being afraid...it's about being very afraid, yet moving towards that object...or figment of dread.

What about when you remember certain verses you have read...is there fear?

It's not only fear of subconsciously taking verses out of context, but every time I read the Bible, I always feel a sense of condemnation. It's always "what if this verse applies to me?" even if it doesn't.

What fellowship to you have access to?

Right now, not much other than Catholic services despite being non-denominational myself. I still live under my very traditional and Catholic mother while I attend higher education, and the sheer thought of me going to a non-Catholic congregation would be outrageous for her.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Ozious

Jun 22, 2016
United States
✟21,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
  • Winner
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christ inme

Jul 24, 2019
Liverpool
✟8,324.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John were not written just for Jews, anyone who is a genuine follower of Jesus should not pick and choose what part of the Bible they want to study. The book of Matthew gives a very detailed teachings of Jesus, and more of what He requires from his followers. If a believer don't read these things how can you stand firm and abide in Jesus. When you read Apostle Paul's letters everything he tells the churches are in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. The book of John is a beautiful book that tells us a lot about Jesus. How will you know who Jesus is. How can you know that Jesus is the Word through whom the world was made. (John 1 verse 1) Please I will advise you drops all those religious fatacies and enter into true and close fellowship with Jesus by reading about Jesus the only Messiah in the books of the Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
You think Peter and all the other Apostles became great by only witnessing the death of Jesus? Oh no. They saw the sinless life Jesus lived, the power and miracles and they listened to all his teachings. How can you go out and preach to others, what do you know about Jesus? The main job of the Holy is to teach and reminds us all the things Jesus commands in the Books of the Gospels. ( John 14 verse 26). Please stand on two legs be balanced with your walk with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's not only fear of subconsciously taking verses out of context, but every time I read the Bible, I always feel a sense of condemnation. It's always "what if this verse applies to me?" even if it doesn't.

Right now, not much other than Catholic services despite being non-denominational myself. I still live under my very traditional and Catholic mother while I attend higher education, and the sheer thought of me going to a non-Catholic congregation would be outrageous for her.
This sounds very typical of OCD. We tend to avoid what triggers us. It's normal to want to avoid it, but as Tone said above, courage means moving toward the things we fear. So, with OCD, that means we work on facing our triggers. That doesn't mean we have to do it all at once, though. What about reading just a few verses a day? Maybe from books of the Bible that are easier to read? I think the Psalms could be a good choice. They're kind of like prayers that you can pray along with as you read them. Scrupulosity is no joke to deal with, but (as you've learned from experience) it is possible to have some victory over it. If you'd like some more support, feel free to join the Facebook group "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders," which deals with a lot of scrupulosity issues.

Upvote 0

Ozious

Jun 22, 2016
United States
✟21,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This sounds very typical of OCD. We tend to avoid what triggers us. It's normal to want to avoid it, but as Tone said above, courage means moving toward the things we fear. So, with OCD, that means we work on facing our triggers. That doesn't mean we have to do it all at once, though. What about reading just a few verses a day? Maybe from books of the Bible that are easier to read? I think the Psalms could be a good choice. They're kind of like prayers that you can pray along with as you read them. Scrupulosity is no joke to deal with, but (as you've learned from experience) it is possible to have some victory over it. If you'd like some more support, feel free to join the Facebook group "Christianity and Anxiety Disorders," which deals with a lot of scrupulosity issues.

I took your advice about reading verses from Psalm, and I it helped. I had read through two of the gospels and felt a lot of condemnation from them even though believers have no condemnation. Even reading through some of my favorite books (Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians) caused me a lot of anxiety, but Psalm felt a lot more comforting, spiritual even. They really are just like prayers.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I took your advice about reading verses from Psalm, and I it helped. I had read through two of the gospels and felt a lot of condemnation from them even though believers have no condemnation. Even reading through some of my favorite books (Romans, Corinthians, and Galatians) caused me a lot of anxiety, but Psalm felt a lot more comforting, spiritual even. They really are just like prayers.
I'm glad it helped! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums