• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Scared of going to hell.

Alcazar

Jun 25, 2022
Pensacola
✟16,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I am a Christian and I moved a year ago and haven’t been to church yet
I guess you have to first settle the more basic question of 'can the Scripture be trusted to present the truth'

Are you born again?

Are you attending a church ?

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,001.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can I stop being scared of going to hell? It gives me terrible anxiety, I know the Bible says believe and you will be saved but for some reason I can’t just accept that.
Try to look at "the perseverance of the saints" doctrine. It may give you peace.

If you believe the bible there is hell, you must according to the same logic believe that you will not go there if you believe in Jesus Christ. Both doctrines have the same source of truth. So its not logically consistent to accept just half of it.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can I stop being scared of going to hell? It gives me terrible anxiety, I know the Bible says believe and you will be saved but for some reason I can’t just accept that.

No the bible does not say just believe, it actually says trust.
Can you trust Jesus?

He says he will present you to God the Father.
John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Can Jesus do what he says he has done, forgiven you your sins?
If he has then he can also get you into heaven.
If he can't how do you know your sins are forgiven?

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Try to look at "the perseverance of the saints" doctrine. It may give you peace.

If you believe the bible there is hell, you must according to the same logic believe that you will not go there if you believe in Jesus Christ. Both doctrines have the same source of truth. So its not logically consistent to accept just half of it.
The problem is just believing in Jesus does not get you to heaven. It's just not that simple. I wish it was.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,001.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem is just believing in Jesus does not get you to heaven. It's just not that simple. I wish it was.
If one is looking for difficulties, he will find them in anything, for sure.

The life of a Christian is not just one basic belief, but a whole universe of experiences, understandings, deeds, retrospectives, meditations, discoveries, repentance, discipline etc. But thats something one must go individually through, words are meaningless before that.

New or anxious Christians need simple beginnings. Whoever is drowning needs only one simple thing at the moment - a lifebuoy. Like the criminal on the cross who was saved just by saying "Lord, remember me".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alcazar

Jun 25, 2022
Pensacola
✟16,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alcazar

Jun 25, 2022
Pensacola
✟16,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
No the bible does not say just believe, it actually says trust.
Can you trust Jesus?

He says he will present you to God the Father.
John 6:38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

Can Jesus do what he says he has done, forgiven you your sins?
If he has then he can also get you into heaven.
If he can't how do you know your sins are forgiven?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You are tight, it is not enough to' just believe in jesus'.
Even demon do that and they do more they tremble in fear.

To believe in Jesus one must believe in who he is,many people ' believe Jesus was a good man' he was actually God.
One must believe in what he said. " I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, No One comes to the Father but by Me ! "
One must believe Jesus died and rose again for yourself, believe it and live by it.

There is no easy believing in Christianity.

Are you prepared to daily carry your cross?

That is what Jesus calls us to do.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

-​
So you can not believe God's promise that all who trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life has Eternal Life never to lose it.

Why can you not believe this, do you believe God is a liar or trying to trick you.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I know how you feel. I've struggled with it for many years. For me it's been a process of spending time here, talking things over with other Christians, and reading threads on the subject of salvation and other stuff. I think in my case it boils down to a mental issue known as hadephobia also called stygiophobia, mixed with generalized anxiety disorder. It's a deep rooted irrational fear. And there's lots of triggers. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you here or you can PM me if you like.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know how you feel. I've struggled with it for many years. For me it's been a process of spending time here, talking things over with other Christians, and reading threads on the subject of salvation and other stuff. I think in my case it boils down to a mental issue known as hadephobia also called stygiophobia, mixed with generalized anxiety disorder. It's a deep rooted irrational fear. And there's lots of triggers. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you here or you can PM me if you like.
I found the opposite here. This place is full of contradictions, condemnation and judgment. It used to be simple for me.so many different opinions on the same verse, mass confusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found the opposite here. This place is full of contradictions, condemnation and judgment. It used to be simple for me.so many different opinions on the same verse, mass confusion.

Yes, but sorting through that helped me. Helped my to stand firmer in my convictions. Two things can be done about fear. It can be placated or it can be challenged.

Upvote 0

caring 2018

Oct 8, 2018
Alachua County
✟13,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am sorry you are struggling with fear of hell. There are so many resources out there, especially verses in the bible that show you once you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. You are saved and no longer have to be concerned about perishing. Have you said the salvation prayer? Lord Jesus, I confess my sins and ask for your forgiveness. Please come into my heart as my Lord and Savior. Take complete control of my life and help me to walk in Your footsteps daily by the power of the Holy Spirit. Thank you Lord for saving me and for answering my prayer. This site has a lot of verses to explain how you are free from the condemnation of sin. I will keep you in my prayers. I know God will show you that you have nothing to fear if you have faith in God and believe in your savior, Jesus Christ. Hugs and God Bless

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's an on going life with Jesus.

Upvote 0