Scared baby girl.

DawnMarie

Mar 7, 2004
✟214.00
Faith
Christian
My daughter, who is almost 5 years old, told me she was afraid to go to sleep because there was a thing outside of her bedroom wall (on the 2nd floor) that could see into her room, and he scares her. I asked how he stays in the air, and she said he hovers, and can see through the wall, and he's bad.

My daughter doesn't have unsupervised TV time, and I read all of her books to her. That's quite a thing for such a little girl to say.

I don't know if it's twilight dreaming, or something else. I've never given much stock to demons or such...but this one made my heart stop.

Any thoughts on that one?

PS: I prayed with her that the Lord will watch over us (we sleep together and she's still afraid) and that she should never be afraid because she's always guarded by God. She said, "Thanks. But, I'm still afraid."

PSS: You know...I do think that fear causes fear. I think that there is a fear that can evolve or grow into extravagant fears. How do I kill the fear in my little angel? If the prayers don't make the fear go away...maybe we need to pray for her. Please pray that my child be freed from any fears, and through God can find peace.

THEN AGAIN...do most 5 year olds come up with crazy stuff like this? Maybe I should check a preschool message board somewhere else. I don't know. I only have one child. Never did this before.

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My son, who is almost four, comes up with the most outlandish things, that we have certainly never taught him. So don't freak out too much--it's probably just an active imagination working overtime.

You can use her imagination to your advantage, though. Definitely continue to teach her that God will take care of her when she's scared (there's a Veggie Tales on that--check it out), but you might also go up and have a "talk" with the scary thing. My son once told me there were tigers in his room, and he was fine once I shooed them all out and told them not to come back.

There's also a neat book out called "Go Away, Big Green Monster". It's hard to describe how it works, but basically as you turn the pages, more of the monster shows up, and in the middle of the book you say "You don't scare me! Go away, big yellow eyes.... go away, squigly hair..." and as you turn the pages, less and less of the monster shows. It's for pretty young kids, but it might give your daughter a sense of power.

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray against it in Jesus name, and don't be afraid. Cover your child in the protection of the Lord with your prayers, as I know you do. Tell your little girl to not be afraid and that nothing can harm her for she belongs to God. Dedicate yourself to bringing up your child in the nurture and admonishion of the Lord, and no power can come against His. God has many promises for those commited to Him.

2 Timothy 1:12 For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Upvote 0

DawnMarie

Mar 7, 2004
✟214.00
Faith
Christian
Thank you. I've shooed it away in front (and behind) of her! She laughed. She said she was still scared, though. I'm not sure if it's imagination or real. Who am I to know such things? I've prayed with and for her.

I wouldn't pretend that it was real in front of my little one, even if I was sure it was. I won't allow fear to feed off of us. Even if it is some horribly monster, it may not live here. God lives here. There is no room for others.

I thank you for your input.

PS: Thanks for the quotes from the Bible. That sounds like wonderful ammunition for an over-imaginitive imagination, or an evil spirit. I thank you. I will share those with my child.

Upvote 0

kjd

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
✟7,644.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I didn't see anywhere the mention of teaching your child to pray for peace in heart.
The most important thing i see is to teach your child to pray 'bout it. Ask God to ease her heart, to give her peace of mind, etc. What is wrong with giving your child the opportunity to pray 'bout it for herself too? o_O

my primary suggestion is ask her to pray for herself. In time, I am sure things will work out if it's a true cause.

Upvote 0