Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
So I screwed up big time last night. I was in a car accident and instead of stopping I panicked and drove off. I am tore up with guilt and remorse, but there is no way I can contact the other party. I wasn't going fast and I believe it probably did more damage to my car and I don't believe anyone was hurt, but I know that isn't an excuse. I have thought about calling the police, but I really don't remember any details of the location, or the description of car, time, and so forth. What should I do?

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So it was you!

Just kidding. I don't know, I'd call the police and ask if anyone reported a hit and run, and if they said yes, turn myself in. If they said, no? Say, have a nice day, then the next time someone accused me of something I didn't do, take the blame. That's just me, though.

Upvote 0

chandraclaws

May 25, 2015
✟3,897.00
Faith
Christian
So I screwed up big time last night. I was in a car accident and instead of stopping I panicked and drove off. I am tore up with guilt and remorse, but there is no way I can contact the other party. I wasn't going fast and I believe it probably did more damage to my car and I don't believe anyone was hurt, but I know that isn't an excuse. I have thought about calling the police, but I really don't remember any details of the location, or the description of car, time, and so forth. What should I do?
Do you believe in God or prayer? Can I pray for you for the wisdom to know the best thing to do and for you to find a path to peace?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am tore up with guilt and remorse,
This will get numb over time, but should it if you did something wrong? Even though it will get numb, you'll probably never get over it if you leave it unresolved. The absolute best thing for you to do is grit your teeth and deal with reality ASAP. The worst thing that can happen to a person over the decades is to increasingly not be able to live with oneself. These things add up without going away.

Consider exactly what you think would be the high road (instead of the low road) and then do it. When you are past everything that you need to deal with right now, you will be able to think of yourself as a flawed, but good person (everyone is flawed, but not everyone is good), and that will make a HUGE difference on how you think of yourself for the rest of your life. Living with guilt or regret can be much worse than anything that could happen to you by being open, honest, and truthful. You cannot escape the fact that you have to live with yourself and will always be evaluating yourself (a part of your self-esteem and self-worth).

You may want to enlist an attorney. I can't say what your legal situation is. However, morally, I would suggest going to the police station today and telling someone what happened (include that you panicked and you thought no one was harmed). Handling it that way means everyone will recognize that you know what you did is wrong, which often brings mercy, kindness, and respect out of other people. Telephoning may carry the implication to some people that you still weren't fully willing to admit wrongdoing, but were still seeing if you could get away with it.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you everyone. I called the state troopers office and they confirmed none reported anything.
Many illegal motorists these days won't report an accident because they may get deported or citizens who have a rap sheet a mile long.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone. I called the state troopers office and they confirmed none reported anything.
You have concrete evidence that you are a good person now (even if you were partially motivated by fear). :) I'm glad things worked out.

Upvote 0

doomsayer2

But in a good way...
Sep 7, 2013
Atlanta,Ga.
✟16,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it's different for everyone. If me I might not do anything simply because it seems God already allows me more than enough problems in my life as is,so no need for anymore. But then i can't relate to anyone who has the nerve to actually drive off in that situation. I'm not an angel by any means,but being angry with God is one thing but it's not like you're breaking the law...just to put things into perspective for you.

Upvote 0

Steven Wood

Not my will but Thy will be done
Jul 17, 2015
Arkansas, United States
✟18,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well the truth is if the police contact you before you contact the police you're gonna be in some BIG trouble. Right now you have a 50/50 shot and not knowing or accepting the punishment is chewing you up. At least if you call them you'll know one way or the other, you can pay for any would be damages and the police may not call it a felony and work with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums