Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We live in a not gated but sort of private community associated with our church and beliefs.

A guy came through showing some kind of government ID I didn't recognize and wanting access to phone numbers, how many children are here, what is our state tax ID number, property deed title number, vehicle information and VIN for all vehicles.

He said he was from the IRS doing an "assessment." Not.

You do not want to know what I told him and I called the cops on this.

They caught him, he uses peoples' info to get into their stuff, he's like a hacker only using your physical property if you give him any information. Don't buy into this. Don't be intimidated. He tried calling me "little lady" and "uppity girl" and insisted to get our info and threatening to arrest me.

Don't be intimidated if you're a female alone at home. Slam the door shut on them, grab your cell phone, call 911 and sit tight.

I did. I also retreated to the farthest place away from the door with my .38 and my shotgun in case this was worse than I thought.

This is an invasion of property and the IRS never does that.

Please, please, watch out and be careful my friends!

God bless you all and stay safe!

Emmy

Last edited:

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is similar to a charity scam that plagued my town for a number of years.

There were Filipino women with brochures and ID cards claiming they're working for the Children Joy Foundation. They looked very professional doing it and even wrote down your name, donation, and phone numbers in their booklets after you give them money.

Scammers are becoming more authentic looking and it's making me nervous.

Yes and I can't tell you how alarmed I was. I wish there was a place where we could post stuff like this where it gets better attention. Scammers are horrible and may be very dangerous.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yes and I can't tell you how alarmed I was. I wish there was a place where we could post stuff like this where it gets better attention. Scammers are horrible and may be very dangerous.
I get the phone scam from the guy claiming to be from Microsoft and able to fix my computer. I get the call every other week or so. Now, if I have the time, I play along, act really dumb, waste their time, ask silly questions, and wait until they get really frustrated and hang up on me. Mean, I know, but less mean than they are to unsuspecting victims. One time I had a cop nearby and handed him my phone. The cop gave him the whatfor.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Several years ago when I was an officer of a local branch of the Royal Canadian Legion I was made aware of a potential scam involving a "veterans charity". I immediately contacted the provincial police and gave them the details. They were aware of the scam and they informed me that at any given time there are at least a thousand scams going in Ontario. Be very cautious of any charity that you are not aware of, particularly if they get very pushy. Simply hang up or close the door.

Reactions: EmmaCat
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I get the phone scam from the guy claiming to be from Microsoft and able to fix my computer. I get the call every other week or so. Now, if I have the time, I play along, act really dumb, waste their time, ask silly questions, and wait until they get really frustrated and hang up on me. Mean, I know, but less mean than they are to unsuspecting victims. One time I had a cop nearby and handed him my phone. The cop gave him the whatfor.

Now I have to apologize. I am a horrible person. Let me explain.

I got a call like that from someone like that from Microsoft and I led him on. I played with him. He wanted me to install some kind of program that would give him access to my computer so he could "FIX" it remotely.

I pretended to do what he said, I complained, "Oh no, it's not working," and led him on ....

I finally said, "Well, I have a Mac. Now what was your point?"

He hung up on me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

I got a call like that from someone like that from Microsoft and I led him on. I played with him. He wanted me to install some kind of program that would give him access to my computer so he could "FIX" it remotely.

I pretended to do what he said, I complained, "Oh no, it's not working," and led him on ....

He hung up on me.

Good for you!

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He hung up on me.

LOL, Ive done that 2.. its kinda a game to see how long I can keep them on the phone before they hang up on me. Even better when they get there supervisor over to help explain to the "poor dumb blond" how to download the file "that just dosent seem to work.....":p

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always make it a point to never answer the door or the phone unless it's someone I know or am expecting. I've taught my kids the same. Thank goodness for caller ID! Phone rings and they yell, "scammer! Don't bother answering!" Even if the machine picks up, you can tell they're up to no good.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ive found these people are much less pushy when there staring at my 2 large & giant dogs trying to get better acquainted with them from behind me in the doorway.. heck,,, they practically look for an excuse to leave.. LOL

Gotta love dogs! People don't really want to be mauled on someone else's property!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL, Ive done that 2.. its kinda a game to see how long I can keep them on the phone before they hang up on me. Even better when they get there supervisor over to help explain to the "poor dumb blond" how to download the file "that just dosent seem to work.....":p

Too funny ha!!

I had too much fun with that guy. He had a very thick accent but he gave his name as "Kevin."

Ha!!

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟456,687.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive found these people are much less pushy when there staring at my 2 large & giant dogs trying to get better acquainted with them from behind me in the doorway.. heck,,, they practically look for an excuse to leave.. LOL
We had a very hyper dog (he passed in October :( ) and he was very protective over us. Even JWs would stand at the door while I'd let the dog go hyper crazy. They just didn't care! It was ridiculous!

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always make it a point to never answer the door or the phone unless it's someone I know or am expecting. I've taught my kids the same. Thank goodness for caller ID! Phone rings and they yell, "scammer! Don't bother answering!" Even if the machine picks up, you can tell they're up to no good.

Perfect!

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We had a very hyper dog (he passed in October :( ) and he was very protective over us. Even JWs would stand at the door while I'd let the dog go hyper crazy. They just didn't care! It was ridiculous!

I am so sorry for your loss.

People are nuts! Funny when the JWs don't worry about the dog but the ATT Internet guy does.

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heh, the JW havent come around since the first time my dogs gave them the stink eye over 10 years ago. kinda funny when you open the door & theve already backed up 10 feet & look ready to run...

That I have a 85lb German Shepherd that looks tiny next to the 250 lb Mastiff maaaaaaay have something to do with it.

Upvote 0