Scam Alert!!!!!!

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
I just received this pm and I assume others did too. Do NOT do as she desires - they will clean out your bank accounts.

Copy below -

MRS MARY KONE

PLEASE KINDLY REPLY ME THROUGH MY PRIVATE EMAIL ADDRESS FOR SECURITY REASON AND IMMEDIATE RESPONSE:m_kone@zwallet.com

Dear Sir,

With due respect and humility I write you this letter which I believe you would be of great assistance to me and my children.
I am Mrs Mary Kone, the wife of the late Dr David E. Kone Jr of blessed memory. Prior to my husband assassination by the rebel forces loyal of the revolutionary United Front (RUF), he was the Director General National Gold and Diamond Mining Corporation
of Sierra-Leone.
Few days before my husband was asassinated, he instructed me and my children (Musa and Henry) to move out of Sierra-Leone and also to go in his underground strong room where the documents of money he has deposited in a finance company in Abidjan Cote d´I
voire in one trunk box as family valuables and treasures with the name of my first son Mr Musa as the beneficiary. The amount is US$15.500.000 (Fifteen Million five hundred thousand united states dollars). We managed to escape to Abidjan the Republic of
Cote d´Ivoire through the help of my husband´s friend who is a trawler. As our travelling document was seized.
I am now looking for a trustworthy and God fearing person who will handle this money for rapid profit for the future of my two fatherless children.
For your information, the finance company did not know the real content of the box and we do not wish them to know until the money is transferred to your account.
As it was deposited as family valuables and treasures.
Meanwhile, I want to leave Cote d´Ivoire entirely for investment of this money in your country and mostly for the future of my children. I want you to please assist us to claim the box from the finance company and to deposit the money in your account as
to order
the bank to transfer the money to your account in your country. As our foreign partner.
We have it in mind to reward you with a certain percentage for your assistance. As soon as we hear from you. Do not hesitate to call me on this line Tel: 00225 07 67 37 94 or write me via
m_kone@zwallet.com immediately you receive this letter to enable us proceed in earnest towards retrieving the box and transferring of the money into your account.
Finally please ensure that no one else knows about this money as it is only myself my son, yourself and the Rev. pastor of the church where we worship knows about this money. May God bless you as you assist me.
Yours sincerely,
Mrs Mary Kone.
PLS REPLY ME THROUGH THIS MAIL m_kone@zwallet.com

jayswife29

Jun 26, 2003
n.y.
Visit site
✟454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I got a similar one a couple weeks ago from a girl wanting me to "adopt" her and secure a foreign personality for her. Her parents died in Liberia or somewhere like that and she claims to have escaped with 15 million u.s. dollars. No, I never replied either.

Upvote 0

loribee59

Beautiful hearts and minds makes me swoon! :)
Mar 11, 2003
Keizer, OR
✟23,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By using today's headlines, they will do anything to pull your heartstrings, and cut your wallet strings at the same time.

Like Michael 0701 says, use your common sense....

Thanks for the heads up!

~loribee :pink:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Nigerian letter and its parent scam, the Spanish prisoner scam, are old scams that predate the net, yet the net has seemed to breathe new life into these previously dying scams. :sigh: Too bad.

There are myriad variations on them now, and the "Nigerian" letter is just as likely to come from Liberia or the Ivory Coast, the "Spanish prisoner" is now more often the "(Insert any country in Asia or the Middle East) prisoner."

I may be the odd person out here, but some years back I actually recieved a Nigerian letter in the snail mail. I threw it out, nevertheless I should have kept it as a relic of the old days of fraud, LOL.

Anyway, here's some links on these scams, for those who are interested.

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
http://www.419fraud.com/
http://www.419fraud.com/419_crimes.htm
http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Business/nigerian.htm
http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/419.htm
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2002/013/12.20.html (this one is a must read)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
newlamb said:
until the money is transferred to your account.

There you go, they want your bank account number. The story they use to try and get that account number does not matter. When I was selling on Ebay I ran into this ALL the time. They always wanted to make a BIG purchase, then they wanted my bank account information, so they could transfer the funds to my account. I actually opened a account with ten dollars in it once, just to see if anyone really wanted to make the purchace. But as soon as I gave them the information, I never heard from them again. No one ever took the ten dollar though, I guess it was not enough money to make it worth their while to steal it.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Susan said:
The Nigerian letter and its parent scam, the Spanish prisoner scam, are old scams that predate the net, yet the net has seemed to breathe new life into these previously dying scams. :sigh: Too bad.

There are as many scams as there are people promoting those scams. They just want your bank account number and the routing number. It is basicly the same as giving them a blank check.

Some companys will try to get your account number or a credit card number, then they will take $15 or more every month out of the account in the hope that you are not paying attention. That happened to me once and I was not paying attention and did not notice for five months. Then when they got caught they claimed to be a legitimate business. You can only get a credit card refund for the last three months, if you protest the charge. So they still had two months of my money.

I have a friend who is a detective now and he works full time on identity thief. If someone gets your information like that, it is very difficult to almost impossible to get it straightened out with the banks. They can ruin your credit and it is difficult to get it straightened out.

Another scam is they will look to see who has recently died. Then they will send out a offical looking computer bill to the person. They are hoping whoever settles the estate will pay the bogus bill thinking it is real.

Even businesses run scams on each other. MCI right now is being accused by AT&T of routing calls though their lines going from Canada to the US so that AT&T has to pay the fee on them.

I have banks run scams on me all the time and you usually have to pay them. At one bank their ATM machine will gladly give you money you do not have in your account. Even the machine will say the money is there, when it really is not there. Then they will charge you a overdraft fee of $30 or more plus $4 a day for being overdrawn. If you refuse to pay they put it on your credit report.

Then they say the only way you can avoid paying the fees is to buy protection, overdraft protection. Or have lots of money in your account. But I do not like to keep lots of money in my account, because it is just to easy for someone to get my account number and steal the money.

I even had the Target store run a scam on me, on their credit card. They send out a bill and you have like 10 days to pay it. If you do not pay the monthly bill in ten days they charge you a $20 fee. I kept paying on the bill but the balance was not going down. Then I finally figured out why, so I just paid off the balance and quit using their card.

In fact, as much as I can, I try to use cash. If I need to pay by check, then I will buy a money order. That way there are no surprises.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Susan said:
I may be the odd person out here, but some years back I actually recieved a Nigerian letter in the snail mail. I threw it out, nevertheless I should have kept it as a relic of the old days of fraud, LOL.

I got a scam in the mail once that REALLY surprised me. I had joined a overseas pen pal club and I got a letter from a girl who wanted to be my "bride". There were some photos of a really beautiful looking women. The letter said to just send "her" $1500 for a plane ticket and "she" would buy the ticket and give me the information on when to go to the airport to pick her up.

There was even a xerox copy of a visa. For some reason I studied and studied that visa. Then I began to see it was a forgery. They had taken someones visa and pasted her photo in and changed a little bit of the information on the visa. It was actually not that well done, but you had to really study it to notice it was a forgery.

There are different scams out there of people who prey on the "lonely hearted" trying to get their money. You hear about that every now and then. Guys who date rich widows to get their money, or stuff like that. In Flordia it is even a standard joke that if you need money, just find a rich widow to take care of you :)

Upvote 0