Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The dinner was held at a Washington hotel hours after the court's conference over the case. In attendance was, among others, Mitch McConnell, the Senate’s top Republican and an avowed opponent of the healthcare law.

The featured guests at the dinner? Scalia and Thomas.

It’s nothing new: The two justices have been attending Federalist Society events for years. And it’s nothing that runs afoul of ethics rules. In fact, justices are exempt from the Code of Conduct that governs the actions of lower federal justices.

If they were, they arguably fell under code’s Canon 4C, which states, “A judge may attend fund-raising events of law-related and other organizations although the judge may not be a speaker, a guest of honor, or featured on the program of such an event.“

Nevertheless, the sheer proximity of Scalia and Thomas to two of the law firms in the case, as well as to a company with a massive financial interest, was enough to alarm ethics-in-government activists.

Yup, these guys are impartial. :doh:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-scalia-thomas-20111114,0,7978224.story

Last edited:

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Yup, these guys are impartial. :doh:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you agree with Republicans, you're impartial; whereas if you agree with Democrats you've got a liberal bias and can't be trusted.

I think that's how it works. :p

David.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if you agree with Republicans, you're impartial; whereas if you agree with Democrats you've got a liberal bias and can't be trusted.

David.

Well to be fair, that street runs both ways. You agree with a ruling and the judges are practicing jurisprudence and constitutional restraint, you disagree with it and they're a bunch of activist judges who use the Constitution as toilet paper.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟79,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And Kagan helped craft the legal defense of Obamacare, and cheered its passage.

Is she impartial?
My guess is that none of the justices will recuse themselves and this will be yet another decision determined by Kennedy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
And Kagan helped craft the legal defense of Obamacare, and cheered its passage.

Is she impartial?

You stole my thunder, dude!

But but DINNER!!! Don't you understand THEY HAD DINNER with someone!:D

Yep, they broke bread with someone and that makes it just like the Last Supper.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,508.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never thought they were impartial.

Who decided that members of the Supreme Court are exempt from ethics rules that Federal judges have to follow?

It sounds like it's a "non-story" because they exempted themselves from their own rules.

The only reason that Federal judges are appointed for life is that it is supposed to make them impartial. They don't have to please the Administration so that they will be eligible for re-appointment or for other high positions. They were appointed for life---are they keeping their end of the bargain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NotreDame

Domer
Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟505,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

David.

That is how it works. If you are a liberal all your decisions are ipso facto "judicial activism", too.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married