Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
You politely say sorry i'm not interested.... simple and polite....

yup. like I said before. be honest but tactful. I've been on both sides of this kind of situation, and I know its not easy but you will both feel better once the truth is out and the two of you can move on with your lives.

There is no other way really.
Nice and clear, to the point, no excuses, just the simple truth.

Providing they take that answer well anyhoot, doesn't always work that easily.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Normally I'd suck it up and do that, but it's in the one place where that just isn't so easy. I'm sure you can gather what I mean. :eek:

Oh dear. Unfortunately it's still the only way, even in a sticky brick wall deep blue sea situation.

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

Rhye

Legend
Mar 29, 2010
✟43,006.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Feel free to remain friends, but when telling them no don't remind them of that friendship. Just be firm, clear and kind.
"I'm sorry but I'm not interested."

Sometimes, its that easy and sometimes its not. I would still say do as the other has pointed out, cause I like their replays. Also, don't say "lets be friend." I personally do not like that, and would not want to say it. Last time, the "I'm sorry but I would like us to not continue with this anymore" was not enough, so he had to meet in order to know "why?" What did he do wrong. So, I explained the situation and he understood. I don't know yours but I think maybe if he does say, "why" give a good and honest reason.

i tell them

'sorry i'm spoken for'

I don't know why but this kind of made me giggle a little.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RobertMerton

Veteran
Mar 19, 2005
Internet
✟17,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know why but this kind of made me giggle a little.

see the beauty of it is that it's not hurtful.

'i'm spoken for'

so basically means I'm .. spoken for, meaning i have a previous engagement.
(Not as in a marriage or anything, just a previous , existing relationship)

use it, it's great.
it's better than the 'its not you its me' thing, as you don't even confer any reference to the other party.

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem with that is if you're not really in a relationship, you're lying. So you fall back on sin to get out of an uncomfortable position. And really, I'll be perfectly honest, its kind of an immature response. It just smacks of looking for the easy way out and looking for a way to make yourself feel better (if the other person found out you were lying, how would that make them feel?) Being honest may not feel better or easier, but it speaks more highly of your integrity if you can just be honest with that person and tell them you're not interested in a relationship with them.

If they can't take direct honesty... thats a reflection on them. but you're not doing them any favours by hiding the truth from them.

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0