NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes but the Lord delegated to civil authorities (government) to regulate doctors and counselors. They all dropped the ball on this.
I was given lot's of advice in order to save my marriage but the root cause was that neither my wife nor myself were married in the Lord . We were married by a priest in a church but had never repented and were therefor not able to understand love , the reality of marriage and the love of God. Add to that the unrealistic definitions of love and life which both the music , TV/motion picture industry had infected us pretty much our whole existence . I was not able to love my wife until I repented ( came back to the Lord ) . Husbands love your wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her . Christ loved every one of us before we loved Him ..He never made it a prerequisite ..He loved us first and eternally . My wife has remarried and moved on but I ( by God's grace and mercy ) am committed to loving her anyway . ( For she does not know . ) I am not righteous enough before God not to forgive my wife ..I am not perfect enough to despise her . I hope you love your wife eternally and remain faithful . Pray for her for she is not in a position to pray for herself.
Regarding the christian marriage counseling services ..no offense intended to anyone involved but according to scripture, it is not defensible ...Paul said for the older women to teach the younger women to love their husbands and to love their children . If a couple's common ground is the love of Christ , then they will always have Him in common for He is eternally on the right hand of the Father making intercession for the saints .

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello. I apologize in advance for the long post. I wanted to talk about my experience in trying to save a marriage and to get your thoughts and insights.

I am a divorced fifty-something male. My spouse of nearly 25 years began conducting what I guess you would call an emotional affair online with someone in the UK (I know him only by his screen name). I had gotten concerned that she appeared to be forsaking sleep for computer time. One day I discovered that she had gotten a passport and had an air ticket to England hidden in our bedroom. I was some combination of devastated and panicked. She was showing signs of not being all-there mentally, and the physical dangers of running off to another country for something like this were obvious.

I won’t go through all the details, which would fill a book. Like any other Christian I felt that my obligation was to do everything I possibly could to try and save my marriage. I called a well-known national Christian counseling organization, which offered to set me up with a local referral. I probably should have just quit at that point, because one of these referrals offered to come to my home and stage an intervention with guaranteed results……for $6000. (when I declined he offered to cut his price to $3800). But I persisted. They gave me another referral. I could not afford that gentleman’s fees, but he referred me to a colleague who was within my price range.

So I cajoled her into going to counseling with me. It did not go well. During the sessions she would go into panic attacks (which I am pretty sure were being faked, because she had never had one before in the close to three decades I had known her). The counselor thought she should be on psych meds. He kept after her about this, and eventually convinced her to go to a doctor he knew and get a prescription.

Once she started taking them her mental condition got much worse. She was exhibiting a whole range of very strange and disturbing symptoms. I was of course the one at home with her when this was happening, the doctor and the counselor were never around. It was at this point that the counselor announced that he had taken another job and was moving out of state. He referred my spouse to another counselor he knew. He said she could go alone, which I actually thought might be best for her. Unbeknownst to me the counselor to whom she was referred had a practice specialty in women who had been abused. My spouse went for a few weeks, then quit. Then one day she just packed-up and left.

She moved to another state and filed for divorce. I was stunned to find in the legal paperwork which was provided to my attorney that she had filed an affidavit from this doctor who had prescribed the meds, describing her mental condition and stating “Adult Emotional Abuse” as the cause.

I was shocked. And furious. The word “abuse” had never come up even once during our marriage. It was not something I had done or would ever do to her. And it seemed more than a coincidence that I was being accused of this not long after she had started seeing a Christian counselor who had a specialty practice for abused women. Did this give her any ideas? I can’t prove or disprove anything, but given the timing, what would you think if you were in my shoes?

Further I was shocked that a doctor could get away with this when absolutely NO medical evidence which would support that claim existed. My attorney said that “they just write down whatever the patient is saying on the chart all the time”. And it gets introduced in court??

In hindsight her claim appears to have been part of a scheme to scam SSI disability….a scheme that ultimately failed. But now I was in a position of having to defend my good name and reputation. I dug in for a legal fight. I filed ethics charges against a slew of people, had depositions taken, etc. Ultimately that all came to naught because the professionals involved all hid behind HIPAA and patient privacy. Apparently in this country those things are now a license to slander.

The only good thing I guess is that my spouse accepted a settlement proposal five seconds after my attorney tabled it. It seems after I had her doctor subpoenaed she didn’t want any part of having to defend her lies about me in a trial. But my good name had been sullied, and pretty much all of the people who were involved in that were walking away without consequence.

Looking at these events in the rear-view mirror I am led to one harsh and inescapable conclusion. Should I have tried to save my marriage?

The answer is no.

In the end my efforts only created an opportunity for her to concoct a lie about me that turned the whole thing into a big mess, dragging many other people into it in the process. Had I simply walked out and filed for divorce when I discovered her plans to go to England, the whole onus would have been squarely on her, where it belongs. She would have had to come to court and defend her quasi-adulterous behavior. No one else would need to have been dragged in. It would have been quicker and cleaner, and over much, much sooner.

But because I chose to fight to save my marriage I gave her the opportunity to do this to me, and to be assisted in that effort by so-called “Christian” professionals who apparently cared not a whit about the fallout from any of this on my end. Needless to say the Christian counseling profession has not exactly covered itself in glory where I’m concerned. They hang a cross on the wall and then hide behind HIPAA and patient confidentiality, which allows them to walk away from any responsibility. The whole field of Christian counseling now strikes me as being pretty “scammy” (as if the guy who was selling $6000 interventions shouldn’t have given me a clue).

I fought for the marriage because my entire life I had been taught that this was the Christian thing to do. That a marriage was sacred, and you needed to fight to protect it against all odds, no matter what.

Well, maybe this makes me a lousy Christian, but I no longer believe that to be the case. I tried to do the right thing, be a good Christian, a good husband, and I had the whole thing blow-up in my face and come back to bite me, bigtime. Many friends, pastors, even counselors, commended me for doing everything I could to try and save my marriage. But I’m convinced it was a mistake. If anyone in a similar situation asks my advice I am going to have to tell them “No! Do NOT try and save your marriage! Walk out and file for the divorce TODAY. Because there is a 98.9% probability that it is going to happen anyway. And your attempt to save the marriage may open you to a whole litany of much, much worse things.”

And the odds of success are extremely small.

So….does that make me a bad Christian?
I am going to follow the rules on here and not give any advice. Every situation is different and there is no way we can know what the outcome will be. Not even two situations are the same in the Bible. Follow the Holy Spirit in your marriage and you will know what to do.

Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, they did. Is it worth fighting? It is already in effect and will not be changed. So?

I don't want what happened to me to happen to anybody else. I don't want anyone to turn to professionals for help, have them make the situation worse, and then skate away from their responsibility.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't want what happened to me to happen to anybody else. I don't want anyone to turn to professionals for help, have them make the situation worse, and then skate away from their responsibility.

I understand your concerns ... but what happened to you may not necessarily happen to them. Like i said ... you can tell them your story ... actually advising them to get divorced? I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that advise, unless of course adultery is involved and then yeah biblically they have that option, even then I would encourage them to seek to reconcile. Couples have to work out their own issues ... professional counseling has been successful for some couples.

Well, certainly pray about it and if the Lord answers your heart that you should advise people not to turn to professionals for help .... who am I to say?

God Bless. Praying the Lord will heal your heart quickly.

Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I understand your concerns ... but what happened to you may not necessarily happen to them. Like i said ... you can tell them your story ... actually advising them to get divorced? I wouldn't feel comfortable giving that advise, unless of course adultery is involved and then yeah biblically they have that option, even then I would encourage them to seek to reconcile. Couples have to work out their own issues ... professional counseling has been successful for some couples.

Well, certainly pray about it and if the Lord answers your heart that you should advise people not to turn to professionals for help .... who am I to say?

God Bless. Praying the Lord will heal your heart quickly.

I could not in good conscience tell them to go down the same path I went down. Either way I am still divorced, though with the route I took there was all of this collateral damage. I am truly feeling as if no good deed goes unpunished.

I know ultimately that is not the case, but it sure can be in this world for awhile.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I could not in good conscience tell them to go down the same path I went down. Either way I am still divorced, though with the route I took there was all of this collateral damage. I am truly feeling as if no good deed goes unpunished.

I know ultimately that is not the case, but it sure can be in this world for awhile.

You are still hurting (sigh) ... you did the right thing by trying your best to keep it together ... we are weak, but He is strong ;o) Rest in Him.

Romans 8:28

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

There is going to be good come out of it at some point in time ... don't know what that will be or when that will be. Let me know when it happens ;o)

God Bless.

• Winner
Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Take it from me, if you do go ahead and try to save your marriage absolutely NOBODY in this society is going to have your back.

This is also my new theory as to why the failure rate on second marriages is so high. Either people have come to the same conclusion that I have, and they file for divorce at the first sign of trouble, or they just don't have the energy to make another save attempt.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello. I apologize in advance for the long post. I wanted to talk about my experience in trying to save a marriage and to get your thoughts and insights.

I am a divorced fifty-something male. My spouse of nearly 25 years began conducting what I guess you would call an emotional affair online with someone in the UK (I know him only by his screen name). I had gotten concerned that she appeared to be forsaking sleep for computer time. One day I discovered that she had gotten a passport and had an air ticket to England hidden in our bedroom. I was some combination of devastated and panicked. She was showing signs of not being all-there mentally, and the physical dangers of running off to another country for something like this were obvious.

I won’t go through all the details, which would fill a book. Like any other Christian I felt that my obligation was to do everything I possibly could to try and save my marriage. I called a well-known national Christian counseling organization, which offered to set me up with a local referral. I probably should have just quit at that point, because one of these referrals offered to come to my home and stage an intervention with guaranteed results……for $6000. (when I declined he offered to cut his price to $3800). But I persisted. They gave me another referral. I could not afford that gentleman’s fees, but he referred me to a colleague who was within my price range.

So I cajoled her into going to counseling with me. It did not go well. During the sessions she would go into panic attacks (which I am pretty sure were being faked, because she had never had one before in the close to three decades I had known her). The counselor thought she should be on psych meds. He kept after her about this, and eventually convinced her to go to a doctor he knew and get a prescription.

Once she started taking them her mental condition got much worse. She was exhibiting a whole range of very strange and disturbing symptoms. I was of course the one at home with her when this was happening, the doctor and the counselor were never around. It was at this point that the counselor announced that he had taken another job and was moving out of state. He referred my spouse to another counselor he knew. He said she could go alone, which I actually thought might be best for her. Unbeknownst to me the counselor to whom she was referred had a practice specialty in women who had been abused. My spouse went for a few weeks, then quit. Then one day she just packed-up and left.

She moved to another state and filed for divorce. I was stunned to find in the legal paperwork which was provided to my attorney that she had filed an affidavit from this doctor who had prescribed the meds, describing her mental condition and stating “Adult Emotional Abuse” as the cause.

I was shocked. And furious. The word “abuse” had never come up even once during our marriage. It was not something I had done or would ever do to her. And it seemed more than a coincidence that I was being accused of this not long after she had started seeing a Christian counselor who had a specialty practice for abused women. Did this give her any ideas? I can’t prove or disprove anything, but given the timing, what would you think if you were in my shoes?

Further I was shocked that a doctor could get away with this when absolutely NO medical evidence which would support that claim existed. My attorney said that “they just write down whatever the patient is saying on the chart all the time”. And it gets introduced in court??

In hindsight her claim appears to have been part of a scheme to scam SSI disability….a scheme that ultimately failed. But now I was in a position of having to defend my good name and reputation. I dug in for a legal fight. I filed ethics charges against a slew of people, had depositions taken, etc. Ultimately that all came to naught because the professionals involved all hid behind HIPAA and patient privacy. Apparently in this country those things are now a license to slander.

The only good thing I guess is that my spouse accepted a settlement proposal five seconds after my attorney tabled it. It seems after I had her doctor subpoenaed she didn’t want any part of having to defend her lies about me in a trial. But my good name had been sullied, and pretty much all of the people who were involved in that were walking away without consequence.

Looking at these events in the rear-view mirror I am led to one harsh and inescapable conclusion. Should I have tried to save my marriage?

The answer is no.

In the end my efforts only created an opportunity for her to concoct a lie about me that turned the whole thing into a big mess, dragging many other people into it in the process. Had I simply walked out and filed for divorce when I discovered her plans to go to England, the whole onus would have been squarely on her, where it belongs. She would have had to come to court and defend her quasi-adulterous behavior. No one else would need to have been dragged in. It would have been quicker and cleaner, and over much, much sooner.

But because I chose to fight to save my marriage I gave her the opportunity to do this to me, and to be assisted in that effort by so-called “Christian” professionals who apparently cared not a whit about the fallout from any of this on my end. Needless to say the Christian counseling profession has not exactly covered itself in glory where I’m concerned. They hang a cross on the wall and then hide behind HIPAA and patient confidentiality, which allows them to walk away from any responsibility. The whole field of Christian counseling now strikes me as being pretty “scammy” (as if the guy who was selling $6000 interventions shouldn’t have given me a clue).

I fought for the marriage because my entire life I had been taught that this was the Christian thing to do. That a marriage was sacred, and you needed to fight to protect it against all odds, no matter what.

Well, maybe this makes me a lousy Christian, but I no longer believe that to be the case. I tried to do the right thing, be a good Christian, a good husband, and I had the whole thing blow-up in my face and come back to bite me, bigtime. Many friends, pastors, even counselors, commended me for doing everything I could to try and save my marriage. But I’m convinced it was a mistake. If anyone in a similar situation asks my advice I am going to have to tell them “No! Do NOT try and save your marriage! Walk out and file for the divorce TODAY. Because there is a 98.9% probability that it is going to happen anyway. And your attempt to save the marriage may open you to a whole litany of much, much worse things.”

This is tragic, and terrible, and I don't blame you for lashing out.

However, I am reminded of the story of the two sons, both asked to go out into the field and work. One son refused, but went anyway. The other said he would, but then did not.

The one that said things that were wrong, yet did what he was supposed to do, is the one that was in the right.

You did what you were supposed to do, yet now you say you should not have. You did what was right, and what a Christian should do, even if you are saying otherwise now.

That makes you a good Christian, does it not?

With counseling... there is no such thing as "Christian counseling". There are Christian people who happen to be counselors, but there is no magically Christian counseling.

There is good counseling, and bad counseling. I would never go to a counselor because they conduct "Christian Counseling". I would go to a counselor because they have a track record of success in counseling.

I think you were right to fight for your marriage, but perhaps that wasn't the best way to fight for your marriage. Perhaps you should have contacted everyone your wife respects, and asked them to talk to her about what she was doing. Perhaps you should have talk to the people at your church, that both your and your wife attend, or her friends.

Lastly, I would be look towards people who went through a tough time in their marriage, and how they worked it out. Talk to people who succeeded at repairing their marriage, before talking to a stranger behind a desk.

Finally, you say that you should never have tried to save your marriage.

What if the Lord had that attitude? Would we all be doomed to hell now? If Jesus had chosen to not go to the cross to die for us, because after all, his chosen people would reject him anyway. Where would we be?

Unlike you who only knew after the fact that your wife would reject all this, Jesus knew for a fact before he was ever captured by the temple soldiers, that his people would reject him.

Should he have never given them a chance?

Why should you not give your wife a fighting chance, if Jesus did?

Is your reputation that much more important? Was Jesus not accused of many terrible things, some that still persist to this very day? Like screwing around with Mary Magdalene? Maybe there are things more important than your reputation.

And what if you had never tried at all to save your marriage. Would it not bother you for the rest of your life, that maybe if you had tried, you could have saved it?

At least now you know that you did the best you could. It didn't go how you wanted, but you know you gave it your best shot.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Damon46789

Dec 22, 2018
Oklahoma
✟8,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The answer is no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The answer is no.

My opinion is that it was the right thing for you to try to save your marriage but that you went about it the wrong way. You should have went to your pastor for counseling, someone who knows the both of you and who wouldn't have charged you for the counseling (and who wouldn't have been able to hide behind hipaa laws. The people who you went to sounded like they were "Christian" in name only. In these issues you want to stay within your Christian family--your church--to get help).

Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I think you were right to fight for your marriage, but perhaps that wasn't the best way to fight for your marriage. Perhaps you should have contacted everyone your wife respects, and asked them to talk to her about what she was doing. Perhaps you should have talk to the people at your church, that both your and your wife attend, or her friends.

I did that. I reached out to absolutely everyone I could think of in her life that she might respect. And to their credit they were all responsive and willing to help. But she would not listen to them. She had ducked out on reality, and her new "friends" in the online world had become more real to her than her real ones, some of whom she had known since childhood.

I think that in both making a false accusation against me and attempting to scam SSI she was being coached by this circle of new "friends" online. My daughter was able to download some of this chat, and at one point my wife actually made the statement that she needs to "change her mindset and start thinking like an evil person."

I think that bit of information might have been useful to a "Christian" counselor were they not hunkered-down hiding behind excuses about privacy.

I was convinced that this guy in the UK was a criminal. The best argument to me for the fact that perhaps I did the right thing is that my raising alarm bells about him may have been the reason the UK would not admit her. (or it may have been the fact that hopped-up on her psych meds she was looking and acting so crazy they took one look at her and said no). Had she gotten in I am nearly certain she would have become a crime victim, so the fact that she is even alive today may be the result of my actions.

The counterargument is that by doing all this I dragged a very large circle of people into the mess. By simply divorcing her when I found the ticket the collateral damage would have been limited, which seems like the Christian thing.

Upvote 0

ProdigalGander

Dec 20, 2018
Pittsburgh
✟17,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
My opinion is that it was the right thing for you to try to save your marriage but that you went about it the wrong way. You should have went to your pastor for counseling, someone who knows the both of you and who wouldn't have charged you for the counseling (and who wouldn't have been able to hide behind hipaa laws. The people who you went to sounded like they were "Christian" in name only. In these issues you want to stay within your Christian family--your church--to get help).

I did go to my pastor for counseling. He was very kind and helpful, but I am Catholic, and frankly as he was a 70-year old celibate Priest I found his frame of reference quite limited.

I set off in a series of conversations with Christian pastors of other churches, who had actually been married themselves. That brought me into contact with the national organization which recommended the counseling.

Upvote 0