New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was over a friends house today and she refused to turn the heat on, she said she has been saving a ton of money by keeping the heat off and just wearing lots of layers inside. Her house was so cold that I kept my parka, boots, and snow pants on while inside. Has anyone managed to save significant money by doing this?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was over a friends house today and she refused to turn the heat on, she said she has been saving a ton of money by keeping the heat off and just wearing lots of layers inside. Her house was so cold that I kept my parka, boots, and snow pants on while inside. Has anyone managed to save significant money by doing this?

I'd imagine that you could save a few hundred dollars if you practiced this throughout the winter.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A few years ago, I compared heating costs with my next door neighbor who has a similar size house and same type of oil heating. She kept her house at about 75 degrees F, while I keep mine at about 60 degrees F. Over the course of the winter, she spent over $1000 more than I did. (That was a few years ago when gas and oil prices were higher than they are now).

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Joannee

Jan 12, 2019
New York
✟17,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few years ago, I compared heating costs with my next door neighbor who has a similar size house and same type of oil heating. She kept her house at about 75 degrees F, while I keep mine at about 60 degrees F. Over the course of the winter, she spent over $1000 more than I did. (That was a few years ago when gas and oil prices were higher than they are now).
60F sounds absolutely fridgid! How did you manage with your house that cold?

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
60F sounds absolutely fridgid! How did you manage with your house that cold?
I think I tolerate and appreciate cold more than most. I am actually comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt at that temperature, though my wife and kids felt the need to put on sweaters (of course, you can buy a lot of sweaters and blankets with $1000). I don’t usually wear a heavy coat in the winter, just a light jacket, and I don’t tolerate summer heat very well.

These days we turn it up to 65 so it is more comfortable for them...but now I am too hot, especially under the covers at night and I find it uncomfortable.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that’s worth it?

I don't like the cold, ... my feet especially.

I'll pay to keep it warm enough to stay comfortable.

I can go 70-72 degrees at night, and 4 degrees warmer during the daytime.

My family kept the thermostat at 68 during the Oil Embargo of the 1970's. I remember that as cold ...

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
last yr, I was stricter which is probably why our budget is low ...63 degrees

this year 64 or 65 at night and 66 during day
turned it to 60 when we were away on vacation

husband complains sometimes
I bought him another warm blanket for Christmas, lol

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
staying warm is a very nice thing. Saving money especially if you are on a tight budget will trump keeping the place warm in the say 70's. If you are where solar works you can offset the heating cost of winter with almost 0 cost in summer. I live in a mobile home that does not insulate well. We heat it up before we go to bed and once when we wake up. We also turn it on as a luxury when we have company over. If you came to my house I would want you to be welcome and warm maybe 70 not 75 though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't like the cold, ... my feet especially.

I'll pay to keep it warm enough to stay comfortable.

I can go 70-72 degrees at night, and 4 degrees warmer during the daytime.

My family kept the thermostat at 68 during the Oil Embargo of the 1970's. I remember that as cold ...

I agree. I didn't work my butt off all my life to be cold in my own home.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I currently live in two houses depending on the day of the week. In one house, I need the heat on to about 75 just to stay tolerably warm and in the other I have the heat on between 65 and 70 and am typically warmer than in the 75 house. If I need to walk around inside a house in gloves and ski pants and parka or whatever, then what would be the point of being in the house? How do you actually work or get things done when you're wearing gloves (good luck typing at computer) or when you are shivering so much that you can't focus or concentrate on anything?

• Agree
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I currently live in two houses depending on the day of the week. In one house, I need the heat on to about 75 just to stay tolerably warm and in the other I have the heat on between 65 and 70 and am typically warmer than in the 75 house. If I need to walk around inside a house in gloves and ski pants and parka or whatever, then what would be the point of being in the house? How do you actually work or get things done when you're wearing gloves (good luck typing at computer) or when you are shivering so much that you can't focus or concentrate on anything?

There are medical benefits to deliberately induced hypothermia, which can protect the brain. ^_^

Preventing Severe Brain Injuries By Cooling The Body

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe your friend needs a financial blessing. Can you help her?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Regardless of my efforts to save money on heating/cooling the house, I would never make visitors to my home endure it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of my efforts to save money on heating/cooling the house, I would never make visitors to my home endure it.
Agreed. When I have visitors (though that is rare), and when my (adult) kids come home to visit, we turn our heat up.

My wife likes it warm in the house, but she is more frugal than I am, so she tolerates the cooler temperature and I enjoy it.

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We don’t even turn our heating on until October/November. Then once the air gets cold it’s on to 65-68 through winter. We’d have it a little cooler but my lungs get more tetchy in winter. I don’t get too much choice in it, but unless I needed the money for essentials I’d rather spend it on heating and be comfortable.

Edit: Stupid typo.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited: