Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The amount of time I think I spend with self on the throne of my life instead of Jesus makes me question my salvation. I try to have faith and submit, briefly, repeatedly, but then it seems I quickly revert to self being on the throne. I think I'm saved for periods of time, but then, like this morning, I step back, see that I'm always grabbing control, and wonder if I am not really saved.

Here is a prayer I just discovered online:

"God, my desire is to build your kingdom and not my own, but I confess most of the time I live like that is not true. I spend so much of my day trying to build my kingdom, making myself, instead of you, the center of this life. Lord, I need your spirit to remind me minute-by-minute that this life is not all about me. It is all about you. Your word says the time is coming when every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and your Kingdom will be made complete. In the end, that will be all that matters. Nothing I build for my own glory will be left so I ask you to help me stop spending this life focused on myself. Jesus, I want to see my daily life through the eyes of your kingdom. Help me to seek your kingdom in my heart, mind, and life."

That echoes my sentiment for brief periods of time. Then I just go back to living for self. Sometimes I look up at Jesus and say something like, "Lord, my faith might waver, but your hold on your people does not waver," or, "Lord, it can't be up to me to hold onto You; I am too fickle and feeble and waver too much; it has to be up to You to hold onto me, as you promised You would.'

It has recently developed that I might have a very worldly-desirable, Bill Gates/Steve Jobs type career in front of me. Officially, the projects to which I keep trying to stick to are for the glory of God. But, unofficially, i figure, who am I kidding? I live for my own glory.

Anything not done for Christ will be burned away at the judgment seat of Christ. And, if one consistently lives for self, one can question whether or not he will really face the white throne judgment of non-believers.

What if God were to offer me a lucrative career, or eternal life, but not both? Jesus said that it is foolhardy to gain the whole world but lose one's own soul.

Reactions: Sarah G

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The amount of time I think I spend with self on the throne of my life instead of Jesus makes me question my salvation. I try to have faith and submit, briefly, repeatedly, but then it seems I quickly revert to self being on the throne. I think I'm saved for periods of time, but then, like this morning, I step back, see that I'm always grabbing control, and wonder if I am not really saved.

"God, my desire is to build your kingdom and not my own, but I confess most of the time I live like that is not true. I spend so much of my day trying to build my kingdom, making myself, instead of you, the center of this life. Lord, I need your spirit to remind me minute-by-minute that this life is not all about me. It is all about you. Your word says the time is coming when every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and your Kingdom will be made complete. In the end, that will be all that matters. Nothing I build for my own glory will be left so I ask you to help me stop spending this life focused on myself. Jesus, I want to see my daily life through the eyes of your kingdom. Help me to seek your kingdom in my heart, mind, and life."

That echoes my sentiment for brief periods of time. Then I just go back to living for self. Sometimes I look up at Jesus and say something like, "Lord, my faith might waver, but your hold on your people does not waver," or, "Lord, it can't be up to me to hold onto You; I am too fickle and feeble and waver too much; it has to be up to You to hold onto me, as you promised You would.'

It has recently developed that I might have a very worldly-desirable, Bill Gates/Steve Jobs type career in front of me. Officially, the projects to which I keep trying to stick to are for the glory of God. But, unofficially, i figure, who am I kidding? I live for my own glory.

Anything not done for Christ will be burned away at the judgment seat of Christ. And, if one consistently lives for self, one can question whether or not he will really face the white throne judgment of non-believers.

What if God were to offer me a lucrative career, or eternal life, but not both? Jesus said that it is foolhardy to gain the whole world but lose one's own soul.
Life is a series of forks in the road, each leading to a different place. You need to know that if you are a believer. He directs your path.

“For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.” Philippians 2:13 (KJV 1900)

So every choice you make will be the choice He caused you to make. Sometimes bad choices will lead to a good place after leaving their imprint on you. But you can be assured, everything you do with love as your motive will be the right choice. Love as defined by scripture.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Don't feel guilty about earning a living. We all have to be in this world, but the battle is not to be of this world.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

That you even care about these issues says to me that you are born again. The flesh wars against the spirit. What we need is a really good death. We need to know that we really are crucified with Christ, that we really are new creations in Him and that we really are raised up to new life. What must we do to experience this? Nothing. Just know that it is true.

I wrestled with these issues for an embarrassingly long time. The Lord said to me once, "You are obsessed with yourself." I had turned inwards, trying to become spiritual. That is contrary to God's word. I used to wonder how I could "get into the Spirit". Then I read in Romans 8 that I'm already there.

My suggestion is to quit worrying about yourself. Start confessing the truth about yourself. You are a new creation. It is no longer you but Christ. Know that you cannot crucify yourself. Know that God raised you together with Christ.

The ultimate truth is that Christ is now Life to us. We only had natural life until we were born again. Now we have the Lord Jesus dwelling in us in the Person of His Holy Spirit. Once we accept this, the rest is simple. Make Lord Jesus responsible for your Christian life. I used to pray this daily until it became a part of me: "Lord Jesus, feel free to live out your life in me, through me and in place of what was there before you saved me. I'm making you responsible for my Christian life. If you do not live through me, I will have a failure day."

The day that I realised that there was nothing left for me to do was almost as great as the day that I was born again. Life has got no easier and some challenges have been harder than ever in my life before. But now I know that it's up to the Lord Jesus to bring me through. He has yet to fail!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

a Very sobering OP. Matt 7 Jesus points out many Christians solidly convinced that they are saved and that they have done many good deeds "in Jesus' name" -- are in the end - lost.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear brother it was like that in my life as well, until Jesus appeared on the scene. He destroyed me completely in my unfaithful self and saved me from myself by building me a new in the truth of His love in those parts of my life.

Now love for God and neighbour rules my heart, along with faithful self in other parts of my inner world of being, and myself in big I, what is left over from that, for that selfish spirit i had life in is dead and gone, that is how Jesus placed me right at the back of the line in my selves to be saved. So thankful I may be the worm in my spiritual paradise, boy is it hard for a sinner to be saved! i languished in my pit for years, before Jesus came and got me out and placed me right.

Best humbly bow down in your renegade self and seek Jesus to save your from certain destruction. The more you place faith in His loving truth, the more His angels will reap you from your sinful life into His new life. That is where you want to have life 24/7, in the loving truth of God, for only then are we eternal, for in sinful self we perish.

Jesus says;
If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you."

Let His Spirit build you into the truth of His word.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Do you belong to a church?
Do you attend church regularly, is it a priority for you on Sunday?

What about your ethical standards?
How honest are you to your employer, to work colleagues or to subornantes?

Jesus made a telling point when he said, 'By there works you wil know them?'
Well what would people at work or your neighbours make of you?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome to discipleship, being human, and having a weak will. That’s all of us.

Something which has helped me immensely, is moving away from a salvation model which states “after we are converted we are nearly perfect, on fire, totally committed to Christ, and just destined to grow and grow and feel joyful forever!”

Not true. Christ is still working on us. And He uses every part of our lives, even the repentance and reflection which follows sin to help us grow more like Him. Instead on panicking about whether or not I’m saved, I just let Christ keep saving me. It works great!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It sounds to me that your looking at the perfect example, the examples of a perfect obedience shown to us in Scripture, and seeing that you don't measure up.

By the way, none of us measure up to the perfect standard. It's WHY we needed a Messiah who could do for us what we could never do in and of ourselves. And Covered in His Work, in His Blood, is the only righteousness we can ever hope for... because as Scripture says: our righteousness is as filthy rags.

That's our best. Our best is filthy rags. That's why we needed a Messiah in the first place. He did what we are unable to do, and because of His perfect love, His perfect obedience, His perfect righteousness... we are able to stand.

It is through Him we are reconciled to God, through Him we are forgiven... it is He who crushed Satan under foot, so we have no longer any accuser.

God's forgiveness for our sin is now, so stop trying to be this perfect being, your not. None of us are... be you, and accept His forgiveness, accept the gift He has offered you...

Then love Him because He paid the price you were unable to pay, and was the perfect person you were totally unable to be under the law.

Love Him, and be reconciled to God. So long as your beating yourself over the head with what your not, your trying to achieve through your own works what you can never achieve.

But Christ achieved this for you... and offered you salvation, written in His own blood, known to us as complete because not even death could hold Him, we have freedom in Him.

So love God for the gift and the kingdom of God will be all around you.

It's not about self, He knows what you are and loved you anyway. It is only in Him you can grow - which is not a work you do. It's one He already did and will continue ti do in you.

Forgive yourself for your imperfections... none of us are perfect... but God knows you, intimately. Even the number of every hair on your head, especially your heart. Your an open book... accept the gift of Salvation. His work, not your own.

Then, and only then, will you begin to grow in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Beloved one, you are right in when you said what you considered,”The amount of time I think I spend with self on the throne of my life instead of Jesus makes me question my salvation.”

For we heard:
Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. -Romans 10:1
For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. -Romans 10:2
For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness. -Romans 10:3

Beloved one, spending time with self —spending time with self righteousness and self love would not save you. So you are correct in how you judge yourself.

Beloved one, I heard you said,”I try to have faith and submit, briefly, repeatedly, but then it seems I quickly revert to self being on the throne.”

Beloved one, I perceived that you do not know how to obtain when you said to try to have faith. This is what we have heard:

“Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:”
‭‭II Peter‬ ‭1:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So Beloved one, you can have faith or obtain faith by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ, that is in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

But I perceived that you submit briefly, repeatedly and then reverted to self again. So this is what you must consider :

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. -Romans 10:17

Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away." -Luke 8:18

“Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, -2 Timothy 2:25

Beloved one, you may hear the word of God but you have not taken care how you hear; that is why you drift away or revert to self.

So beloved one, you must understand the gospel of Jesus, that is, the righteousness of God and Savior Jesus Christ bring you to repentance that leads you to the knowledge of truth. So when you heard the word of Christ, you must give earnest heed so that you didn’t drift away. How ? You need to seek the strength of the Lord. If by your own strength, you are able to do it - then you have something to boast. So it is not so, for we live for the glory of God.

Also consider: why God the Father have to send Jesus to die on the cross if you can do on your own ; why Jesus have to send Holy Spirit to help you if you already can do on your own.

That is why we heard :
Acknowledge that strength belongs to God, with his majesty over Isra’el and his strength in the skies.
How awe-inspiring you are, God, from your holy places, the God of Isra’el, who gives strength and power to the people. Blessed be God!”
‭‭Tehillim (Psa)‬ ‭68:35-36‬ ‭CJB‬‬

So beloved one, acknowledge that only by God’s strength, you can do what He commanded you and that He gives you His strength and power because you are His people.

Consider apostle Paul who considered himself once chief sinner, and what he said:

I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service, -1 Timothy 1:12
though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, -1 Timothy 1:13
and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. -1 Timothy 1:14

So what gave apostle Paul strength? This is what we have heard apostle Paul said to Timothy:

You then, my child, be strengthened by the grace that is in Christ Jesus, -2 Timothy 2:1

So the grace or the steadfast love of Christ that strengthen apostle Paul to be faithful.

So how you may the grace of our Lord overflowed for you with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus, that apostle
said in 1 Timothy 1:14?

This is what we have heard :

Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from me, in faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.

That good thing which was committed to you, keep by the Holy Spirit who dwells in us.”
‭‭II Timothy‬ ‭1:13-14‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Beloved one, to hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from apostle Paul — you must perceive this that apostle
Paul have said:

And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. -1 Corinthians 2:13

Why we must be taught by the Spirit? Because God is Spirit. For we heard Jesus said:

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." -John 4:24

So to hold fast the pattern of sound words which we heard from apostle Paul, we must perceive ourselves taught by the Spirit of God, whom Christ sent to us — the pattern of sound words that we heard Christ spoke through apostle Paul are Spirit and life.

For we heard:
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. -John 6:63

because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. -1 Thessalonians 1:5

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. -1 Thessalonians 2:13

So beloved one, when you hold fast to the pattern of sounds from apostle Paul, other holy apostles, holy prophets and Christ in the Holy Scriptures — you must consider that you hold fast to the Spirit of the Word, that Christ have spoken Himself, and through His holy apostles and prophets.

How you might hold fast to the Spirit of the Word or the pattern of sound words? This is what we have heard:

“Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭2:1‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. -Proverbs 4:20
Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:21
For they are life to those who find them, and healing to all their flesh. -Proverbs 4:22

So beloved one, to hold fast the pattern of sound words, you need to hear and hear the word of God and store the word of God in your heart. Yes, you need to hold fast the word of God by meditating the truth of His love, and there in His words you find life and healing.

As also we heard our Heavenly Father said:
My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, -Proverbs 2:1
making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; -Proverbs 2:2
yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, -Proverbs 2:3
if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, -Proverbs 2:4
then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. -Proverbs 2:5

So beloved one, the fear of God leads you to repentance to seek His tender mercies. When you realize you are given unmerited favor, you should humble yourself so that He may give grace. And His grace will strengthen you to store His words in your heart, that you may find the knowledge of God.

Beloved one,
You are not going to find the knowledge of God unless you act according to what God said in His holy scriptures because the knowledge of God is knowledge of the Spirit of God. The knowledge of the Spirit are spiritually discerned. So God equips with spiritual truths to those who acts on His word.

For this is the manner we heard our Lord spoke :
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. -John 14:27

In like Männer, knowledge of God, Christ leave with us; Christ’s knowledge He give to us. Not as the world gives do Christ give to us.

So beloved one, the way not to revert to self is to submit to God’s righteousness that is in the gospel of Jesus Christ, that we heard apostles ministered to us in the Holy Spirit so we should hear and hear and store in our hearts and acts on the word of God.

This is how Heavenly Father taught us:
Bind them on your heart always; tie them around your neck. -Proverbs 6:21
When you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you. -Proverbs 6:22
For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life, -Proverbs 6:23

So beloved one, keep binding your heart with the words that Christ have spoken through His holy apostles in the Spirit so when you walk, they will lead you; when you lie down, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk with you.

In this Männer, you walk according to the Spirit, you will not gratify the lust of flesh,
and have submitted yourself to God’s righteousness.

To God be all glory and praise for His strength. Amen

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear one, the simple Bible truth to the issue you state: of being SAVED, is having the Lord Jesus in your heart; for it is the ONLY way to be eternally saved for Heaven and ever seeing the Lord there. If one is thinking of being saved from troubles, or being saved from bad experience, that is just the hardships of this world, but our eternal soul must be saved for Heaven, to have the blessings of our Creator-God; and that is as John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc. show in the Holy Bible. A true believer in Jesus Christ is SEALED by the Holy Spirit forever.
To enjoy a good life in this godless world, one needs to stay close to the Lord Jesus daily in faithful trust by talking to Him privately all day about everything one faces. Look up!

Upvote 0