✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1. Saved from what?
This first question ought not be too controversial, although it may reveal helpful differences and insights into the depths of the matter.

2. Saved for what?
This question really has two parts:
2a) Saved for what in this lifetime, in this present creation?
2b) Saved for what ultimately, finally, in the New Creation - in the new heavens and the new earth?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1. Saved from what? This first question ought not be too controversial...

Our friends in the East certainly have a different perspective than we have in the West, Protestant or Catholic. I believe the EOC teaches that Christ redeemed/ransomed us from Satan, and not from the wrath of God.

EO's, what say you about this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1.The fate that exists for all men. The second death. Eternal non existence and nothingness.
2. Saved to experience life as God had originally intended for man since creation.

Thank you, but can you please say more? These are big, important questions..

Is your #1 answer three statements of the same thing - or three different things? Please explain further.

Is your #2 answer to question #2a, or #2b?
Can you expand #2 answer on what exactly that divine intention is?

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1.The fate that exists for all men. The second death. Eternal non existence and nothingness.
2. Saved to experience life as God had originally intended for man since creation.

I was hoping for a bit more detail! Is such brevity usual here?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, but can you please say more? These are big, important questions..

Is your #1 answer three statements of the same thing - or three different things? Please explain further.

Is your #2 answer to question #2a, or #2b?
Can you expand #2 answer on what exactly that divine intention is?

Answer #1 is talking about the same thing the second death which is talked about in the book of revelation. Thats the fate that all men deserve and one we are saved from if we put our faith in Jesus Christ.

#2 can be explained by understanding being saved is something that is in regards to the next life. Whether one believes its eternal suffering or eternal nothingness, the fact remains if we put our faith in Jesus Christ and believe he was resurrected as paul says we shall be saved. And this salvation is from what awaits us in the next life which some believe that God has created a special place for eternal suffering and others believe that they just die the second death and end up into a state of nothingness. I prefer the second view personally. I can't imagine I could have a good time in the next life if some old highschool pal of mine is in the next room screaming the most horrific scream you ever heard because he is getting tortured nonstop.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. Saved from what?
This first question ought not be too controversial, although it may reveal helpful differences and insights into the depths of the matter.

2. Saved for what?
2b) Saved for what ultimately, finally, in the New Creation - in the new heavens and the new earth?
We are saved from the debauchery of sin so that we can live a life of holiness and sanctification set apart onto God. Many are called but few are chosen meaning few people answer that call to dedicate themselves onto God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Saved from what?

2. Saved for what?

1. Save from sin

2A. Saved to be like christ in this life time

2 B. Saved to live with christ and worship him in new creation forever and forever.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Saved from? Christianity. No seriously, I believe that pretty much sums it up. I'm a Christian so I can say that and it's not offensive. At first it was to save us from Judaism; now it's to save us from Christianity. Or, we could put it in quotes if it helps "Christianity"?

Saved for? Life. Love. All the good stuff.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Answer #1 is talking about the same thing the second death which is talked about in the book of revelation. Thats the fate that all men deserve and one we are saved from if we put our faith in Jesus Christ.

#2 can be explained by understanding being saved is something that is in regards to the next life. Whether one believes its eternal suffering or eternal nothingness, the fact remains if we put our faith in Jesus Christ and believe he was resurrected as paul says we shall be saved. And this salvation is from what awaits us in the next life which some believe that God has created a special place for eternal suffering and others believe that they just die the second death and end up into a state of nothingness. I prefer the second view personally. I can't imagine I could have a good time in the next life if some old highschool pal of mine is in the next room screaming the most horrific scream you ever heard because he is getting tortured nonstop.

I understand your #1 answer - saved from either eternal suffering or complete eternal end to existence itself.

But "saved for?" -- Can you say more of what the "good time in the next life" is? I'm thinking that that is your answer to "what are we saved for?" - that is, we are saved so we can have "a good time in the next life"? Is that your answer to #2b?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand your #1 answer - saved from either eternal suffering or complete eternal end to existence itself.

But "saved for?" -- Can you say more of what the "good time in the next life" is? I'm thinking that that is your answer to "what are we saved for?" - that is, we are saved so we can have "a good time in the next life"? Is that your answer to #2b?

Well I obviously don't know specifically what awaits us in the next life. I can't say with any certainty what that entails. But to answer your question of what we are saved for, it is to have an eternal personal physical intimate relationship with God the father and Jesus Christ. Face to face as the apostle paul spoke about. I don't know what that exactly entails but sounds pretty good to me.

Upvote 0

ttcmacro

Dec 26, 2016
United States
✟25,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our friends in the East certainly have a different perspective than we have in the West, Protestant and Catholic. I believe the EOC teaches that Christ redeemed/ransomed us from Satan, and not from the wrath of God.

EO's, what say you about this?

I'll give it a try....penal substitution atonement is not part of Eastern Orthodox doctrine. While there are some different takes on atonement in the East, we do not believe Jesus died on the cross to save us from the wrath of the Father. He instead, died and was resurrected in order to defeat death itself, and the control that Satan has over us.

As a result, in EO theology, the death of Christ is much less emphasized than in the West. It is the resurrection which we view as important. The harrowing of Hades is an important part of our theology as well.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I obviously don't know specifically what awaits us in the next life. I can't say with any certainty what that entails. But to answer your question of what we are saved for, it is to have an eternal personal physical intimate relationship with God the father and Jesus Christ. Face to face as the apostle paul spoke about. I don't know what that exactly entails but sounds pretty good to me.

Sounds pretty good to me too. Well said.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll give it a try....penal substitution atonement is not part of Eastern Orthodox doctrine. While there are some different takes on atonement in the East, we do not believe Jesus died on the cross to save us from the wrath of the Father. He instead, died and was resurrected in order to defeat death itself, and the control that Satan has over us.

As a result, in EO theology, the death of Christ is much less emphasized than in the West. It is the resurrection which we view as important. The harrowing of Hades is an important part of our theology as well.

In Catholic thought, there is much attention paid to the Cross as a picture of divine love - love being the prime motivation for the Incarnation and the holy Sacrifice: "God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son..." (Jn 3:16). This divine love - expressed in the Spirit as mutual divine kenosis for all eternity - was expressed in the flesh of Christ as His self-gift on the Cross in obedience to the Father in the completeness of His (Incarnate) human nature: unto human death.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟42,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I taught Sunday School this morning (after receiving the news my mother died in my sister's arms at 8:15 a.m.)
I drove to my sister's house, and kissed my still-warm mother's body goodbye... and then... went to church and taught my class.

The subject: "What a Savior!"
The Greek word for "save" is "sodzo"... and it is like a diamond, with many facets.
Without multiple facets, a diamond would not be as precious.

"Sodzo" has many facets of meaning. And all of them belong to the meaning of "to save."

When Jesus came, he brought FULL salvation. Every single facet of "sodzo" was provided in the sacrifice Christ offered on the cross.
Salvation is offered by grace. It is free for the taking.
We enter salvation through faith. It is an action of stepping into the provision of Christ.

Salvation is like a gift wrapped and under the tree, on Christmas morning. It has our name on it. But we need to pick it up and claim it, knowing it is for US, before that gift really becomes ours.
Or... we can leave that gift right there under the tree, and not lay claim to all that is provided for us.

Salvation is entered into by faith.
Every facet of the meaning of "save" is entered into by faith.
If we only have faith in the one meaning of "sodzo" then that is all that will come to fruition in our lives.
But if we learn what all full salvation really holds for us, then we can step into the fullness of what God wanted to give us, through Jesus.

And then... the pastor got up to preach... and it was exactly the same message!
I had not been assigned a subject to teach on. I prayed and felt this was the direction God wanted us to go in.
And He gave it to us with both barrels. :)

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
1. Saved from what?

From the wrath of God (Romans 2:5-6).

2. Saved for what?

The power of sin.

The penalty of sin.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our friends in the East certainly have a different perspective than we have in the West, Protestant or Catholic. I believe the EOC teaches that Christ redeemed/ransomed us from Satan, and not from the wrath of God.Thanks :)

That too.

Upvote 0