Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is the Lutheran doctrine of salvation?

We are saved by faith alone. True faith produces fruit. If we don't have works, we don't have saving faith. We can lose faith and therefore salvation through sin and disobedience.

Edit: At least I thought this was their theology (Bible Highligter?).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you saying we need not do good in order to get to heaven, but just have faith?

Faith in Christ the redeemer and cleanser of sin is the first step a sinner must take in order to do the good works that the Lord desires. The works which will not be burnt up as hay, wood and stubble.

Trying to do good works without sincerely repenting from your sin and seeking eternal life in Christ will never get you to heaven. There are many false preachers who will tell you..."your ok, you display the flowers great, you clean up the paths, you open the doors every sunday, you polish the pews, you deliver my food every week, your a great servant for the Lord...bla, bla, bla". I'm sorry to tell all those preachers but many of their souls will be burning in hell if all they think about is earthly things and praising their congregation for the work they've done.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are saved by faith alone. True faith produces fruit. If we don't have works, we don't have saving faith. We can lose faith and therefor salvation through sin and disobedience.

Edit: At least I thought this was their theology.

It's an oxymoron or a contradiction. If works and faithfulness are always a result of true faith, then works and faithfulness is a requirement of salvation. If not, then one does not need works and or faithfulness as a part of salvation and one can live like the devil or in sin on some level and still be saved by God's grace by faith alone in Jesus.

Upvote 0

whatdoyounkiooo

Jul 20, 2020
houston
✟579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Faith in Christ the redeemer and cleanser of sin is the first step a sinner must take in order to do the good works that the Lord desires. The works which will not be burnt up as hay, wood and stubble.

Trying to do good works without sincerely repenting from your sin and seeking eternal life in Christ will never get you to heaven. There are many false preachers who will tell you..."your ok, you display the flowers great, you clean up the paths, you open the doors every sunday, you polish the pews, you deliver my food every week, your a great servant for the Lord...bla, bla, bla". I'm sorry to tell all those preachers but many of their souls will be burning in hell if they think this earthly life is all they care about.
Your love for God or the lack of it
will determine the outcome of your fate.

Do you agree?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We are saved by faith alone. True faith produces fruit. If we don't have works, we don't have saving faith. We can lose faith and therefor salvation through sin and disobedience.

Edit: At least I thought this was their theology (Bible Highligter?).

Also, if works and faithfulness is an automatic result of being changed by faith alone, then why are we told to do the following things in Scripture?

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:

1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).

2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).

3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

This sounds like we have to continue with God and work out our own salvation with fear and trembling (See: Philippians 2:12).

With a sin and still be saved doctrine or Belief Alone-ism, there is no need to work out my salvation with fear and trembling.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟884,137.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's an oxymoron or a contradiction. If works and faithfulness are always a result of true faith, then works and faithfulness is a requirement of salvation. If not, then one does not need works and or faithfulness as a part of salvation and one can live like the devil or in sin on some level and still be saved by God's grace by faith alone in Jesus.

I see it like this. There is a difference having true faith and having an "intellectual" belief. To believe is to know about Christ, to have faith is to know Christ. If you know Christ you don't live like the devil.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Trying to do good works without sincerely repenting from your sin and seeking eternal life in Christ will never get you to heaven. There are many false preachers who will tell you..."your ok, you display the flowers great, you clean up the paths, you open the doors every sunday, you polish the pews, you deliver my food every week, your a great servant for the Lord...bla, bla, bla". I'm sorry to tell all those preachers but many of their souls will be burning in hell if all they think about is earthly things and praising their congregation for the work they've done.

Then you are saying we don't have to do good? Just have faith. I'm having trouble finding any direct answer to a very simple question among all that.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your love for God or the lack of it
will determine the outcome of your fate.

Do you agree?

Our love for God is Agape love. When a Christian gets a grasp of Agape love, their love for others follow and fulfilling the rest of the commandments follow also. Agape love is the love Christ spoke of when he was asked about the most important commandments. Christ reply was a love for God. That is Agape love.

Anyone who needs to study that Agape love, please do so with an online concordance or interliner. It will help you grow.

Upvote 0