Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Gospel presentations - what is a Gospel presentation? What are different ways to present the Gospel? | GotQuestions.org

What is Calvinism and is it biblical? What are the five points of Calvinism? | GotQuestions.org

You may get different answers here; we're from many different churches. If I were you I'd read the New Testament a lot, especially John and Romans.

Christian 2 tim 316.gif
Christian 2 PETER 1_21 Men spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.jpg Christian Bible Read Me.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: crossnote

SavannahMissy

Jun 8, 2020
Amsterdam
✟15,567.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you!! I simply worry that somewhere along the lines the stories changed. Like if I tell my neighbour a story, and my neighbour tells his brother, and he tells his friend, and he tells his cousin, we might end up with a completely different story at the end.

I worry to misunderstand because I at this point understand so little!

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you!! I simply worry that somewhere along the lines the stories changed. Like if I tell my neighbour a story, and my neighbour tells his brother, and he tells his friend, and he tells his cousin, we might end up with a completely different story at the end.

God sees to it that that doesn't happen.

In your introductory thread, you said that you just started believing in God. Have you been Born Again?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

In your introductory thread, you said that you just started believing in God. Have you been Born Again?

She will be! The Holy Spirit brought her to this journey. I don't believe you have to just say a certain prayer. God works on our hearts.

John 10 is very helpful and so is Romans 8:3.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I see what you mean, but the stories about Jesus were written down by the Apostles, and then copied by other Christians. We have a great many manuscripts from the first 200 years or so after Jesus, plus quotations of the Bible from Christians who lived and wrote in that time.

We can be confident of the story. In most cases, we can be confident of the exact words.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you!!

If I were you I'd read the New Testament a lot, especially John and Romans.

I'm guessing English is the OP's second language. I would suggest the Christian Standard Bible (CSB) as a good readable English version.

Recent Dutch versions include Het Boek. I don't know much about that, but at first glance it seems like a reasonable translation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

How you expect a new believer to be saved? Some are not saved all their life, until the last years of their life. Jesus said: But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The link that I gave her was how it was explained to me. (HERE is the same link in Bulgarian.)

I think what they're saying is that she just started believing in God and it may take some time before she gets to the point where she will believe in being born again. 5o rush her might be a mistake.

The others can correct me if that isn't their meaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

venksta

Jesus is humanity's most successful rebel.
May 12, 2004
Kingdom of God
✟82,108.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi @SavannahMissy !

Since you are new to discovering the Bible, make sure you keep in mind about that, especially when asking for help too. Allowing others to know where you are exactly on your journey in faith in Christ, and your relationship with God, will help others give better advice and help.

Always ask questions! :) Ask God questions, every question you want. Ask us questions whenever you want. Ultimately, keep in mind, the bible is God's word, and anything we tell you, you need to be able to verify in the bible. If myself or someone can't give you an answer, with out showing you exactly where it is in the bible, question it, and pray to God to reveal his truth to you.

I find a lot of us will quickly assume other Christians are some what knowledgeable, and skip over the very basics. We're not all taught the same, and a lot of Christians are thrown into the thick of the bible when they start out.

First, before studying the bible, I recommend to always pray to God and ask for his help. Especially ask for God to give you his wisdom and insight. This will help you a lot. Try to do this on a regular basis. The bible is the living word of God. As you start to study, and continue to, over years, you'll see this will be true. What ever you read today, God will say something even more important to you in a few years time, when you revisit those parts of scripture.

Since you are new to faith, I recommend start reading what Jesus taught directly to people. These are found in the four gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. These four gospels, share a similiar account of Jesus, however, they are all written at different points, and by different points of view. Matthew and John are written by his actual disciples. Luke and Mark are written by 2nd/3rd generation believers. Looking up historical facts, helps too, to give a better understanding of the time period, and way of life back in the first century.

I'd recommend starting with either Matthew or Mark. After that, go with reading the book of Luke, followed by Acts. Luke is written by the same author as the book of Acts, which continues what the apostles did, after Jesus is resurrected. Its like the sequel to the four gospels. This will help ground you with the faith of the original followers of Jesus. From there, you can go into reading the different epistles. The gospel of John is great, and probably has the best insight of who Jesus is. As the author for this, was a very close friend of Jesus.

You may have heard that the bible is referred to at times as two books, the old testament, and new testament. I like to think of the New Testament, as the revelation of God's love for us, through Jesus. And the Old Testament, as "man's faith in God". I would recommend reading Genesis and Exodus at some point, maybe when you want to take a break from the gospels. The book of Psalms have many great chapters, with dealing in struggles, suffering, and victory when it comes to faith in God. The book of proverbs will give you a good understanding of how to conduct yourself as a godly person, where God reveals his wisdom and insight. But focus on the new testament first. That is where you will find more answers to faith in Christ, and how to live a life that follows him as a faithful servant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We can be thankful that what Jesus and the Apostles taught and did was written down keeping the message intact and the story unchanging.

Upvote 0

SavannahMissy

Jun 8, 2020
Amsterdam
✟15,567.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all the responses! I'm getting a lot of information thrown at me, thank you for that! That is good! It's going to take some time to read and look at all of the links/tips but I'll figure it out!

One thing I would like to say, is that when it comes to praying for help or where to start, there actually is something really cool: God appears to have given me a bible!

God knows I always worry to be told wrong information and to trust the wrong sources.
And God also knows that I'm very language focused and word focused.
Translations to another language will, without exception, always at least somewhat change what something says!
My brain works a lot different than that of most people, which has both pro's and con's, but one side affect of that is that I very easily misunderstand things.

God knows this and it appears a bible has appeared in my house, which no one in the house has ever seen before!
It's perkament, and when I looked at it the first time I thought it was written in Amharic, but it's not, the language stays unknown, but looks similar. (It's also not a bunch of other languages that look similar to Amharic). It has a tiny piece of wood tied on each side and red and black letters, which made me think it's probably a bible!
Looking online at pictures of 1000 year old bibles I think it's most likely a lot older than that!

I think maybe God brought this bible to me!

One important question that I have is how can I know if God is talking to me?
I sometimes have the idea that God is talking to me but how do I know?

I'm not sure if I do the praying right?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all the responses! I'm getting a lot of information thrown at me, thank you for that!

Start with the basics. Read the Bible; ask questions about it.

And God also knows that I'm very language focused and word focused.

So are the people who do Bible translation! Even here on CF, you will see many debate over "what exactly does this Greek word mean"?

I'm not sure if I do the praying right?

There is no "magic formula" for prayer. If you pray with sincerity, God knows what you mean.

Nevertheless, Matthew 6:9-13 gives us an outline:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
(it is good to begin with praise of God)
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread,
(it is good to ask for what we need)
and forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
(God forgives our sins, but it is good to acknowledge that we need forgiveness)
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
(it is good to ask to be saved from what we fear)

Upvote 0

SavannahMissy

Jun 8, 2020
Amsterdam
✟15,567.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the example!

My prayer varies, here's an example:

''Dear God,
Thank you for all the blessings you've granted me,
Please forgive me for my sins and thank you for forgiving me for my sins,
Thank you,
Amen''

Now I don't have much experience with this, and it I do anything wrong please correct me there!

I try to not ask for things too much, because I feel like He knows all my needs, and I don't want to come across unappreciative.
I'm also not sure if saying thank you for forgiving me for my sins is the right thing to do because it might seem like I assume his forgiveness?
Also not sure what Amen means, but I heard many people end prayers with it so I thought it would mean something positive most likely!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the example!

My prayer varies, here's an example:

Like I said, there is no "magic formula" for prayer.

I'm also not sure if saying thank you for forgiving me for my sins is the right thing to do because it might seem like I assume his forgiveness?

It is a good thing to thank God for doing what He has promised to do.

Also not sure what Amen means, but I heard many people end prayers with it so I thought it would mean something positive most likely!

To quote from the Heidelberg Catechism #129:

What does the word Amen mean?
Amen means: It is true and certain.
For God has much more certainly heard my prayer
than I feel in my heart that I desire this of him
(Isaiah 65:24, 2 Corinthians 1:20, 2 Timothy 2:13).

In fact, let me link all the questions and answers on prayer:

Upvote 0