✟8,367.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
From the article:

"It's not allowed for any woman to travel alone and sit with a strange man and talk and laugh and drink coffee together like they are married," it said.

Shariah law folks. This policy is exceedingly dangerous and turns back the hands of time and progress, and must be flushed down the toilet into the sewers of history where it can rot and fester.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
She violated several customs/laws at the same time. Maybe she got off easy.
But was she a dual citizen or a primary resident?
What if someone had simply been a tourist?

Laws like that are ridiculous. In order for them to have KNOWN that man was not her husband, they would have had to inquire, and how many couples are they going to inquire of if they are married or not?

Sounds like she was targeted to me.

Reactions: WV25115
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But was she a dual citizen or a primary resident?
What if someone had simply been a tourist?

Laws like that are ridiculous. In order for them to have KNOWN that man was not her husband, they would have had to inquire, and how many couples are they going to inquire of if they are married or not?

Maybe she wasn't wearing a covering over her head so they hassled her for that.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe she wasn't wearing a covering over her head so they hassled her for that.
Unless she frequented that Starbucks, I doubt though they could have been able to differentiate her from any other tourist.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm kind of surprised that Starbucks even has a store in Saudi Arabia, given those kinds of restrictions placed on their customers and even their employees. If people aren't allowed to mingle and talk and laugh, it would seem to defeat the purpose of a Starbucks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CGL

Crazy Eight
Jul 4, 2007
Halifax, NS
✟9,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm kind of surprised that Starbucks even has a store in Saudi Arabia, given those kinds of restrictions placed on their customers and even their employees. If people aren't allowed to mingle and talk and laugh, it would seem to defeat the purpose of a Starbucks.
Haha, that's the first thing
that came into my mind, too.

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat

Targeted or not, she broke a law. We have ridiculous religious and morality laws in this country as well.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Targeted or not, she broke a law. We have ridiculous religious and morality laws in this country as well.
OK, time to check for facts. Who is in prison in the USA due to a ridiculous religious law?

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, time to check for facts. Who is in prison in the USA due to a ridiculous religious law?

I said religious and morality laws

Marijuana still being illegal is ridiculous when both tobacco and alcohol are perfectly legal and shown to kill the user, while mary jane chronic doesn't

Prostitution........two people having consensual sex should not be a crime.

Blue laws are ridiculous and hurt businesses (that's a religious conservative ideal vs a Republican ideal)

Time to work.........

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Don't like a peoples law?
Leave their country.

They want to live in the dark ages let them.
Lets find and produce our own fuel, and let them
go back into their ignorance.
Why finance their abuse of people? They wouldn't matter, if they didn't have the majority of oil being pumped.

Laughing and drinking coffee together...I guess only married women can do this.

Reactions: UberLutheran
Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You examples are based on disease control. Even blue laws have their roots in the public problem of alcoholism.
Moral equivalency arguments are almost never actual equivalents. We ignore actual injustice and in fact use it to our benefit when we make these type arguments.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You examples are based on disease control. Even blue laws have their roots in the public problem of alcoholism.
Moral equivalency arguments are almost never actual equivalents. We ignore actual injustice and in fact use it to our benefit when we make these type arguments.
Sorry, I cited the wrong post.............sorry, it was not your post I was talking about.

Upvote 0