Saturday Sabbath vs Sunday The Lords Day....GO!

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Teaching some of God’s commandments, but not the 4th that God said REMEMBER is not biblical.

There is more than one Sabbath in the Bible and Colossians is about food and drink, ceremonial Sabbaths. God’s Sabbath 4th commandment is part of the eternal covenant that was placed along with the other 9 commandments in the ark in the temple of the most holy. Denying God’s Sabbath that He asked us to Remember is breaking one of God’s commandments and is considered sin. Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7, John 3:4.

There is not one scripture in the Bible where God or Jesus told us that the seventh day Sabbath is abolished and we are now to keep Sunday as a holy day. This is a tradition of man that we are warned about by Jesus Mathew 15:8-9

We will be worshipping God on His chosen day for eternity not the first day that was created by man. Isaiah 66:23
So what happens to Christians who do not agree with you and do not observe the sabbath day according to your standard? Do you consider that to be deliberate, willful sin? Is that a deal breaker? Will they be saved? *Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You must not be reading the same verse in Isaiah, I will post it here so we can see the complete scripture:

Isaiah 66:23
And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

It says from one Sabbath to another (week to week) we will worship our Lord. Just like God’s 4th commandment that cannot be broken. Sabbath is defined by God as the seventh day, which is and always will be Saturday.

Exodus 20: 8“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In ityou shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who iswithin your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lordblessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
I'm reading the same verse in Isaiah and I see that you ignored "from one New Moon to another" and everything else that I shared with you in post #39. Why are you so obsessed with the sabbath?

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even when SDA's set out to worship on the sabbath, are they truly "keeping the sabbath?" To "keep the sabbath" as it was required under the old covenant would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath (Exodus 35:3). Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath (Exodus 16:29). No trading (Amos 8:5). No marketing (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19).

These were commanded by God to Israel. (Exodus 35:1)

If keeping the sabbath day is still in affect, then why don't sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD has commanded? How can someone keep a certain law when they only keep part of it?

If the sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The SDA church? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the old covenant, no sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what happens to Christians who do not agree with you and do not observe the sabbath day according to your standard? Do you consider that to be deliberate, willful sin? Is that a deal breaker? Will they be saved? *Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel (Exodus 16:23, 29; 31:12-18; 35:1-3; Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3, 32; Numbers 15:32-36; 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13; Amos 8:5; Nehemiah 10:31) that is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)
It’s not my standard, it’s our Saviors. He told us to hallow His Sabbaths Ezekiel 20:12, 20:20 which is the opposite of what some are teaching here. Both New and Old covenants was made with Israel. Jeremiah 31-33 The new covenant God writes His laws in our hearts, so God’s laws are not abolished which is why it is still a sin to lie, covet, vain His name and not keep His Sabbath holy or any of God’s laws.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not my standard, it’s our Saviors. He told us to hallow His Sabbaths Ezekiel 20:12, 20:20 which is the opposite of what some are teaching here. Both New and Old covenants was made with Israel. Jeremiah 31-33 The new covenant God writes His laws in our hearts, so God’s laws are not abolished which is why it is still a sin to lie, covet, vain His name and not keep His Sabbath holy or any of God’s laws.
It becomes your standard when you force it on the body of Christ under the new covenant. "Sabbaths plural" in Ezekiel 20:12-20 is written to who? Israel. Exodus 20:12 - Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them. 13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

"The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I'm reading the same verse in Isaiah and I see that you ignored "from one New Moon to another" and everything else that I shared with you in post #39. Why are you so obsessed with the sabbath?
It means from month to month. God’s Sabbath is mentioned over 170 times in the Bible, the first day is mentioned 8 times and nothing to do with holy or being sacred. I am not obsessed with the Sabbath, I am dedicated to obeying our Savior which includes the 4th commandment that He asked us to REMEMBER and keep holy. Exodus 20:8

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It becomes your standard when you force it on the body of Christ under the new covenant. "Sabbaths plural" in Ezekiel 20:12-20 is written to who? Israel. Exodus 20:12 - Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them. 13 Yet the house of Israel rebelled against Me in the wilderness; they did not walk in My statutes; they despised My judgments, ‘which, if a man does, he shall live by them’; and they greatly defiled My Sabbaths. Then I said I would pour out My fury on them in the wilderness, to consume them.

"The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)
Jesus said the Sabbath is made for man Mark 2:27. God created man on the 6th day and the next day was Sabbath. Sabbath started before there was any Jews Genesis 2:3. Just like when God wrote thou shalt not lie- that was meant for everyone, so is the Sabbath commandment.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means from month to month. God’s Sabbath is mentioned over 170 times in the Bible, the first day is mentioned 8 times and nothing to do with holy or being sacred. I am not obsessed with the Sabbath, I am dedicated to obeying our Savior which includes the 4th commandment that He asked us to REMEMBER and keep holy. Exodus 20:8
You keep going back to Exodus 20. Are you an Israelite under the law? Now show me in the New Testament where Christians are commanded to keep the 4th commandment under the law of Moses.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You keep going back to Exodus 20. Are you an Israelite under the law? Now show me in the New Testament where Christians are commanded to keep the 4th commandment under the law of Moses.
Is there a different God in the New Testament? Where does is say not to vain God’s name in the NT, but do you think that is not a sin either?

There is no scripture stating God’s 4th commandment is abolished and now we are to keep holy the first day. The Sabbath was still a commandment after Jesus rose. Luke 23:56

Jesus kept the Sabbath and all of God’s commandments and asked us to as well John 15:10 which is good enough for me.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said the Sabbath is made for man Mark 2:27. God created man on the 6th day and the next day was Sabbath. Sabbath started before there was any Jews Genesis 2:3. Just like when God wrote thou shalt not lie- that was meant for everyone, so is the Sabbath commandment.
Sabbath is made for man and not man for the sabbath. Who was the sabbath a sign between? God and (say it with me) The ISRAELITES. (Exodus 31:16-17) Show me the word "sabbath" in Genesis 2:3. The word "sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23. Where does the Bible state that the sabbath commandment under the old covenant is meant for everyone? Can you show me the command for everyone to keep the sabbath under the new covenant?

References for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

Do you believe that sabbath keeping (for Christians) is absolutely necessary for salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there a different God in the New Testament? Where does is say not to vain God’s name in the NT, but do you think that is not a sin either?

There is no scripture stating God’s 4th commandment is abolished and now we are to keep holy the first day. The Sabbath was still a commandment after Jesus rose. Luke 23:56

Jesus kept the Sabbath and all of God’s commandments and asked us to as well John 15:10 which is good enough for me.
We are told in the New Testament that the name of God is not to be blasphemed, which would be taking His name in vain. (1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7) To do so would absolutely be a sin. It's not about God's 4th commandment being abolished, so to speak. It's about the old covenant being made obsolete and replaced by a new covenant. (Hebrews 8:13)

2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

In Luke 23:56, of course the Jews rested on the sabbath according to the commandment. There was a transition period going on from then into the book of Acts. Now of course Jesus kept the sabbath. Jesus was born under the law. (Galatians 4:4) Jesus was the only man who ever perfectly obeyed all of God's commandments. Do you claim to have perfectly obeyed all of God's commandments? The new covenant was not yet full established in John 15:10. You seem to have trouble with mixing the old and new covenants together.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We are told in the New Testament that the name of God is not to be blasphemed, which would be taking His name in vain. (1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7) To do so would absolutely be a sin. It's not about God's 4th commandment being abolished, so to speak. It's about the old covenant being made obsolete and replaced by a new covenant. (Hebrews 8:13)

2 Corinthians 3:6 - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, 8 how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? 9 For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory.

In Luke 23:56, of course the Jews rested on the sabbath according to the commandment. There was a transition period going on from then into the book of Acts. Now of course Jesus kept the sabbath. Jesus was born under the law. (Galatians 4:4) Jesus was the only man who ever perfectly obeyed all of God's commandments. Do you claim to have perfectly obeyed all of God's commandments? The new covenant was not yet full established in John 15:10. You seem to have trouble with mixing the old and new covenants together.
You can’t separate God’s commandment and say some apply only to Jews but others to all. Maybe you can point out the scripture in Acts stating the Sabbath commandment has been replaced and now we are to worship God on Sunday or that Sunday is a new holy day. I’ll wait....

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath is made for man and not man for the sabbath. Who was the sabbath a sign between? God and (say it with me) The ISRAELITES. (Exodus 31:16-17) Show me the word "sabbath" in Genesis 2:3. The word "sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23. Where does the Bible state that the sabbath commandment under the old covenant is meant for everyone? Can you show me the command for everyone to keep the sabbath under the new covenant?

References for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

Do you believe that sabbath keeping (for Christians) is absolutely necessary for salvation?
So you think the only commandment that God abolished was the one He started with REMEMBER, but the others stand? I don’t think so.

• Agree
Reactions: Freth
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can’t separate God’s commandment and say some apply only to Jews but others to all. Maybe you can point out the scripture in Acts stating the Sabbath commandment has been replaced and now we are to worship God on Sunday or that Sunday is a new holy day. I’ll wait....
Exodus 31:16 - Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. 17 It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.

Now show me in the Old Testament or the New Testament where Gentiles were commanded to keep the sabbath. I'll wait....

I never said that Sunday has replaced Saturday as the new sabbath day. People typically worship on Sunday/first day of the week because that's when Jesus rose from the dead. (Matthew 28:1; Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:1-2)

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you think the only commandment that God abolished was the one He started with REMEMBER, but the others stand? I don’t think so.
You keep using the word "abolished" when the New Testament uses the words "made obsolete." The old covenant has been "made obsolete" by the new covenant. (Hebrews 8:13) The sabbath is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17) It was a sign between God and the Israelites under the old covenant. (Exodus 31:16-17)

Still waiting for you to show me in scripture where the Gentiles are commanded to keep the sabbath....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You keep using the word "abolished" when the New Testament uses the words "made obsolete." The old covenant has been "made obsolete" by the new covenant. (Hebrews 8:13) The sabbath is not binding on Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17) It was a sign between God and the Israelites under the old covenant. (Exodus 31:16-17)

Colossians is not talking about God’s weekly Sabbath. If you read it in context its talking about food and drink, which is not what the Sabbath commandment is about. There is more than one Sabbath in the Bible and God did not make obsolete the His weekly seventh day Sabbath. Yes, the Sabbath is binding when God said He would write His laws in our hearts in the New Covenant. God never said I will write all my laws with the exception of the one commandment I asked for you to remember, but now you can forget. Which is why the Sabbath continues to be the Lords day of worship forever for the saved ones. Isaiah 66:23

You can believe as you wish, but it’s not changing that God asked all to keep His seventh day Sabbath holy. This commandment was placed in the ark in the most holy of holy along with the other nine. God did not separate His Ten Commandments into nine. Breaking one of them is like breaking them all. Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians is not talking about God’s weekly Sabbath. If you read it in context its talking about food and drink, which is not what the Sabbath commandment is about. There is more than one Sabbath in the Bible and God did not make obsolete the His weekly seventh day Sabbath.

Yes, the Sabbath is binding when God said He would write His laws in our hearts in the New Covenant. God never said I will write all my laws with the exception of the one commandment I asked for you to remember, but now you can forget. Which is why the Sabbath continues to be the Lords day of worship forever for the saved ones. Isaiah 66:23
Colossians certainly is talking about God's weekly sabbath.

NEW LIGHT ON CEREMONIAL SABBATHS AND COLOSSIANS 2:16

An unbiased reading of Colossians 2:16 will show that this is talking about not just "ceremonial Sabbaths." The words "ton sabbaton" or "sabbath days"; are the same words translated "Sabbath day" in Exodus 20:8 in the Septuagint (the Jewish translation of the Old Testament into Greek).

Look at Paul's reasoning, "Let no one judge you regarding a,

• festival - yearly Sabbaths,
• a new moon - monthly Sabbaths,
• or a Sabbath day - weekly Sabbaths (or if you wish Sabbath days)"
CHRIST, he goes on to say is the "Substance", these things were shadows.

When this passage is compared with Galatians 4:9 an obvious connection in Paul's teaching is revealed:

"But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how is it that you turn back again to the weak and worthless elemental things, to which you desire to be enslaved all over again? You observe days and months and seasons and years."

Verse 10 flatly states, "you observe...",

• days (weekly Sabbaths, corresponding to "Sabbath days in Col. 2)
• months (new moons, corresponding to "a new moon" in Col. 2)
• seasons (the 7 feasts, corresponding to "festivals" in Col. 2)
• and years (the sabbatical year and the 50th year of Jubilee)

Obviously Paul is clearing speaking about the observances of all Jewish holy day, including the Sabbath.

The Sabbath & Sunday

So God never said I will write all my laws with the exception of the one commandment? We know which laws God wrote because we see them in the New Testament for the body of Christ (which excludes sabbath keeping). According to your logic, how do you know that ALL of God's laws from the Old Testament were not written in the heart?

So only those who keep the sabbath day will be saved? Why don't you explain to me exactly how you "keep the sabbath day" and use scripture to show me where NT Christians are commanded to keep the sabbath. I'll be waiting....

I already explained Isaiah 66:23 to you in post #39, but I understand that it can be very difficult for certain people to see anything beyond their biased church indoctrination.

You can believe as you wish, but it’s not changing that God asked all to keep His seventh day Sabbath holy.
Show me the word "all" in Exodus 31:16-17. Because what I'm reading is the "children of Israel" shall keep the sabbath... Do you have a different translation?

This commandment was placed in the ark in the most holy of holy along with the other nine. God did not separate His Ten Commandments into nine.
Are you talking about the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones? (2 Corinthians 3:6-9) You seem to be having a very difficult time making the transition from the old covenant into the new covenant.

Breaking one of them is like breaking them all. Mathew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Do you claim to have never broken any of the commandments? Who was Jesus addressing here? Jesus went on to say in verse 20 that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. What righteousness is Jesus talking about?

Philippians 3:9 - and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference.

Romans 4:5 - But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, 6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not just in early Christian manuscripts. Sunday was always the day that Christians gathered for their service (tradition). There is also a very strong argument to be made from the scripture. I think the answer to this is very simple.

Was the Lord's day the Sabbath day or the first day?

If John was referring to the Sabbath day, then John would have used that name to identify that day. John gave a new name to a day without a name, i.e., the first day.

That the Lord's day is Sunday is really beyond any question.

They gathered all the time, not just on Sunday/first day of the week. They also went to the Synagogue on the Sabbath. It was not till the early writings, after the ones compiled for the New Testament, that Sunday became the 'main' day that people gathered for organized religious activities.

You bring up the point that I am making. The fact that John was referencing the Sabbath when he said "the Lord's day" is significant because he understood what God had been teaching Israel about in giving them the command to keep the weekly Sabbath as they did.

He used that term, instead of the 'Sabbath', to signify that it is not about religious ceremonies or 'do/do not do' things, but the day was about remembering the significance of the seventh day of creation - when God Himself rested.

John knew The Sabbath was about our rest in Christ - our Lord - God created that day to point to Christ.

What happened was the same thing that has happened since Christ came. Israel of old took the Sabbath and made up traditions and laws about it, losing the significance of it.

The same thing has happened with the 'church' today, that in their earnest desire to differentiate between the Old Covenant and the New Covenant, they departed remembering the Sabbath(actual Sabbath, not weekly one) in favor of promoting the first day of the week.

Now we find ourselves in the same place Israel was in during the time of Christ. The "Sabbath" is nothing more than a day of the week to people, and often shunned because it is thought that if you 'remember' it then you are putting yourself under a law.

The same thing has happened with Sunday. It is just a religious day for most people. Not only that, but most view it in the same way Israel viewed the weekly Sabbath - do this and that, but don't do this or that.

The Sabbath is the seventh day of creation - it is Christ - it is the Lord's Day - the Day God created for Mankind. There truly is rest in understanding that.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am a Sabbath keeper of course but i am looking for valid arguments as to why Sunday church goers go to church on Sunday instead of Saturday? Feel free to post links to videos and or articles supporting your argument, as well as quoting scripture!

Good question - I noted you did not ask "why go to church on Sunday" but rather "why Go to church on Sunday instead of the Saturday".

Jesus was resurrected on week-day-1 according to the Bible and we call that Sunday.
God said "the seventh day is the Sabbath" Ex 20:10

And we know that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23 for "the Sabbath was made for mankind" Mark 2:27

God selects "the very day" -- "Tomorrow IS the Sabbath" Ex 16. And on the 7th day - no manna fell , for 40 years. The very day, not "pick one day in 7"

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where is the scripture in the Bible saying that Sunday is a holy day of the Lord our God? God never abolished the seventh day Sabbath and told us to start keeping Sunday as a holy day. This is a man-made teaching Jesus warned us about in Mathew 15:8-9

God is unchanging which is why Sabbath started from creation Genesis 2:3 and will continue on for eternity Isaiah 66:23. Note we are not going to be worshipping Jesus on the New Earth on the first day. The commandment that God asked us to REMEMBER still stands Exodus 20:8-11

The Sabbath did not "start" from creation.

The Sabbath was created. The 'remembrance' of it started when the law was given at Horeb.

The Sabbath is, was, and will always be the seventh day of creation. A single point in time, when God rested to signify our rest in Him.

Upvote 0