Saturday Sabbath vs Sunday The Lords Day....GO!

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I am a Sabbath keeper of course but i am looking for valid arguments as to why Sunday church goers go to church on Sunday instead of Saturday? Feel free to post links to videos and or articles supporting your argument, as well as quoting scripture!

In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so there is nothing wrong with someone following their own tradition of going to church on Sunday in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, but they should not hypocritically set aside the commands of God in order establish their own traditions.

• Agree
Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Sabbath keeper of course but i am looking for valid arguments as to why Sunday church goers go to church on Sunday instead of Saturday? Feel free to post links to videos and or articles supporting your argument, as well as quoting scripture!

Not hard to explain.

The Decalogue is called the covenant on two tables of stone - and the old covenant has been replaced by a new covenant founded on better promises, thus Gods commands as they once existed - complete with a required death penalty by stoning for breaking - have ended, and the form Gods commands took today, is the two love commands, and there is no required days to keep in the two love commands, leaving us free to keep the Lords day if we want, or Saturday, or any other day of the week.

And for the usual people who always protest that the love commands aren’t sufficient compared to the old ten: if you love your neighbor as yourself, you won’t kill him, steal from him, lie against him, covet his goods, or do anything else that would harm him in any way.

That’s probably why Paul wrote this:

Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That is really stretching what John said.

There really is no reason to doubt why John calls the weekly Sabbath the Lords day.

Sunday being referenced as it came along later after John wrote Revelation.

It actually gives believers a lot of insight into how believers viewed the Sabbath in the Faith.

The Sabbath was never called Kyriake though, that was only applied to the first day of the week.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When looking at the Old Law one can categorize the Old Testament Mosaic Law (the 613 Laws of Moses) into a threefold division:
  1. Moral Laws (Any Law pertaining to doing good as a part of nature).
  2. Ceremonial Laws (Laws pertaining to ceremonies or rituals).
  3. Civil Laws (Laws dealing with civil matters; Which includes Laws on carrying out justice).
Even before the written Law of Moses: We can see that there were Moral Laws (like: “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” Do not covet,” “Do not commit adultery,” etc.), and Ceremonial Laws (like: animal sacrifices).

God's moral laws came into existence for man and would forever exist for him after the Fall of Adam and Eve (after they received the knowledge of good and evil). A Moral Law is any law telling you to do good without a specific law telling you that such a thing is so (See Romans 2:14). These moral laws existed before the Law of Moses.

In the New Covenant (or New Testament) these Moral Laws (like: “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” Do not covet,” “Do not commit adultery,” etc.) are repeated from the 613 laws within the Law of Moses and they still are in effect (i.e. They have been carried over into the New Testament). However, the Old Testament Law of Moses as a whole or package deal is no more (contractually speaking). Ceremonial Laws or commands: Things like the commands on circumcision, animal sacrifices, the Saturday Sabbath, dietary etc. are no longer binding under the New Covenant. This is because the written Law given to Israel is no longer in effect (as a whole). How so?

Here are a list of verses showing us the Old Law is no more:

"When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:13) (NLT).

”Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.” (Romans 7:4).

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6).

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;" (Colossians 2:14).

20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."
(Colossians 2:20-23).

“By abolishing in His [own crucified] flesh the enmity [caused by] the Law with its decrees and ordinances [which He annulled]; that He from the two might create in Himself one new man [one new quality of humanity out of the two], so making peace.” (Ephesians 2:15) (AMPC).

"The old [former] rule [commandment; regulation] is now set aside [nullified; abolished], because it was weak and useless [ineffective]." (Hebrews 7:18) (EXB).

9 “Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.” (Hebrews 9:9-10).

16 “For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.” (Hebrews 9:16-17).

”And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament…” (Hebrews 9:15).

27 “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” (Matthew 26:27-28).

50 “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; “ (Matthew 27:20-51).

8 “Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” (Hebrews 10:8-9).

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:1).

“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:5).

“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment” (Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

28 "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts of the Apostles 15:28-29).

7 "But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious." (2 Corinthians 3:7-11).

“But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.” (2 Corinthians 3:14).​

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).​

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).​

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law." (Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17).​

In conclusion:

You sort of have to look at the Old Covenant (Old Testament) as one contract, and the New Covenant (New Testament) as another contract. It's kind of like a contract when you buy a house. If you did not like certain things in the contract, you could ask them to make some changes in the contract. If they agreed to the changes, you would then go by the new contract, and the old contract for the house would be discarded. There may be some similar things between the old contract, and the new contract, but you stick with the new contract in your dealing with buying the house. Meaning: This is why we seek to follow the New Covenant (New Testament) primarily even though there are certain laws that have carried over from the Old Covenant (Old Testament). We are clearly not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. We follow the commands that come from Jesus and His followers.
That was a good post. Thank you. And from earliest times as far as we can know the 7th day sabbath was no longer revered and observed to the same degree and in the same manner in the churches both in the east and the west as it had been under the Old Covenant. The Lord's Day was considered to be Sunday, and the more important day to Christians, notwithstanding the objections and attempted revisionism by some who look for special ways to set themselves apart as holier than the rest of the crowd- a common enough human endeavor incidentally.

And meanwhile the same ancient churches continued to uphold the necessity of obedience of the moral law, the rest of the ten commandments, as was outlined to be necessary in the New Testament even as it's acknowledged that this is impossible except by the Spirit, under grace, in communion with God. But apparently this obligation is considered to be not enough-insufficient-for 7th-dayers while too much- legalistic -for some other Protestants depending on how they understand Sola Fide and which part of Scripture they choose to focus on.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When Christians coined the term to refer to the first day of the week. That's just what they called it. It is a bit like asking since when was Monday just Monday.

-CryptoLutheran
Yes, it was called the Lord's Day because that was the day He arose from the dead, in His triumph over sin and death.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟101,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel I am called to a sabbath rest from my unrighteous works of disobedience rather than to a day of the week to go to church (Hebrews 4:9-11) since I am not under the law.

On a side note, I feel the early church met on Sunday because most of them were still observing the Saturday Sabbath because they had lived their entire lives steeped in the Mosaic Law and it takes time for those things to fall away as one matures in their faith.

Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Sabbath was never called Kyriake though, that was only applied to the first day of the week.

-CryptoLutheran
Right, but only in early ‘Christian’ writings.

That does not mean John meant the first day of the week, or Sunday, when he wrote Revelation.

It is just conjecture that now Sunday is called the Lords day.

I understand that it is called that now, but I will always maintain that a lot of depth in meaning is lost why John wrote those words if people say he meant Sunday by them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That does not mean John meant the first day of the week, or Sunday, when he wrote Revelation.

I understand that it is called that now, but I will always maintain that a lot of depth in meaning is lost why John wrote those words if people say he meant Sunday by them.

St. Ignatius mentions the Lord's Day not much more than a decade after St. John wrote the Apocalypse. I can't imagine that the meaning of the term would have changed much in 10-15 years.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
St. Ignatius mentions the Lord's Day not much more than a decade after St. John wrote the Apocalypse. I can't imagine that the meaning of the term would have changed much in 10-15 years.

-CryptoLutheran
All kidding aside, a LOT can change in 10-15 years.

Only 14 years ago we would have had to be sitting behind a rather large computer in order to be talking on a forum like this. Now I am talking on a device that I only tap on the screen to write - smaller than a post card.

There was a ton of doctrine written early in the history of Christianity that you won’t ‘find’ spoken of in the Bible. There was a lot of heretical teaching floating around by then also - it started even when Paul was still writing letters.

So yes, I have no doubt that what John said was misinterpreted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Mark 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own traditions, so there is nothing wrong with someone following their own tradition of going to church on Sunday in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, but they should not hypocritically set aside the commands of God in order establish their own traditions.

Except the command was never given to anyone to keep, until God gave it to Israel as a covenant sign between Him and Israel, and as a remembrance of their being delivered from bondage in Egypt.

Moses said our fathers did not have this law that I am going to give you. Deuteronomy 5:3

Then right after being given the sabbath command that was never before given to anyone to have to keep, this was said:

Deu 5:15 And REMEMBER that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: THEREFORE the LORD thy God commanded THEE to keep the sabbath day.

The sabbath command was only for Israel as part of their covenant, which has now ended, replaced by a better covenant founded on better promises.

Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟516,876.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is that Jesus rose on a Sunday and it became known as the Lord's Day and recognized as a day of worship rather than the Sabbath of old.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Except the command was never given to anyone to keep, until God gave it to Israel as a covenant sign between Him and Israel, and as a remembrance of their being delivered from bondage in Egypt.

Moses said our fathers did not have this law that I am going to give you. Deuteronomy 5:3

Then right after being given the sabbath command that was never before given to anyone to have to keep, this was said:

Deu 5:15 And REMEMBER that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: THEREFORE the LORD thy God commanded THEE to keep the sabbath day.

The sabbath command was only for Israel as part of their covenant, which has now ended, replaced by a better covenant founded on better promises.

What is holy to God should not be profaned by man, so we would still be obligated to keep the 7th day holy even if God have never commanded anyone to do that. The significance of God saving His people out of bondage in Egypt is not about who the Israelites are, but rather that teaches something important about the nature of who God is, and the point of God choosing Israel was for them to serve as a light to the nations through testifying about the nature of who God is. The Sabbath testifies that there is a Creator who created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th day, that He is holy, and that He saves His people out of bondage, so we should live in a way that testifies about the truth of what the Sabbath signifies about the nature of God by keeping it holy rather than a way that denies the truth of what it signifies by refusing to keep the Sabbath.

If God has made a covenant with us that He did not make with the ancient Israelites, and it contains at least some of the same laws as the covenant that God made with the ancient Israelites, then there is nothing about God making a covenant with the ancient Israelites that he didn't make with their forefathers that implies that any of its laws were not previously given. While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same nature and therefore the same instructions for how to testify about His nature. The way to testify about God's nature is straightforwardly based on God's nature, not on a particular covenant or group of people, and God's nature is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to do that are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any. For example, it was a sin to commit adultery in Genesis 39:9, long before the Mosaic Covenant was made, during it, and after it has become obsolete, so there is nothing about any number of God's covenants being made or becoming obsolete that changes the way to testify about or against God's eternal nature. Unbelievers are required to refrain from doing what God's law has revealed to be sin even though they aren't under the New Covenant, so there is nothing about not being under the Mosaic Covenant that means that we aren't required to refrain from doing what God's law has revealed to be sin. In Hebrews 8:6-13, the New Covenant is based on better promises, but it is still made with the same God with the same law (Hebrews 8:10). Jesus kept the Sabbath holy in obedience to the Mosaic Law and the New Covenant does not involve refusing to follow him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is holy to God should not be profaned by man, so we would still be obligated to keep the 7th day holy even if God have never commanded anyone to do that. The significance of God saving His people out of bondage in Egypt is not about who the Israelites are, but rather that teaches something important about the nature of who God is, and the point of God choosing Israel was for them to serve as a light to the nations through testifying about the nature of who God is. The Sabbath testifies that there is a Creator who created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th day, that He is holy, and that He saves His people out of bondage, so we should live in a way that testifies about the truth of what the Sabbath signifies about the nature of God by keeping it holy rather than a way that denies the truth of what it signifies by refusing to keep the Sabbath.

If God has made a covenant with us that He did not make with the ancient Israelites, and it contains at least some of the same laws as the covenant that God made with the ancient Israelites, then there is nothing about God making a covenant with the ancient Israelites that he didn't make with their forefathers that implies that any of its laws were not previously given. While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same nature and therefore the same instructions for how to testify about His nature. The way to testify about God's nature is straightforwardly based on God's nature, not on a particular covenant or group of people, and God's nature is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to do that are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any. For example, it was a sin to commit adultery in Genesis 39:9, long before the Mosaic Covenant was made, during it, and after it has become obsolete, so there is nothing about any number of God's covenants being made or becoming obsolete that changes the way to testify about or against God's eternal nature. Unbelievers are required to refrain from doing what God's law has revealed to be sin even though they aren't under the New Covenant, so there is nothing about not being under the Mosaic Covenant that means that we aren't required to refrain from doing what God's law has revealed to be sin. In Hebrews 8:6-13, the New Covenant is based on better promises, but it is still made with the same God with the same law (Hebrews 8:10). Jesus kept the Sabbath holy in obedience to the Mosaic Law and the New Covenant does not involve refusing to follow him.

That’s incorrect.

As I said the sabbath command was a covenant sign and remembrance for the nation of Israel only.

When that covenant ended, that covenant sign ended, and the decalogue, which scripture calls the covenant on two tables of stone, has been superseded by the two love commands, which do not require any day be kept..

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Not just in early Christian manuscripts. Sunday was always the day that Christians gathered for their service (tradition). There is also a very strong argument to be made from the scripture.
That does not mean John meant the first day of the week
I think the answer to this is very simple.

Was the Lord's day the Sabbath day or the first day?

If John was referring to the Sabbath day, then John would have used that name to identify that day. John gave a new name to a day without a name, i.e., the first day.

That the Lord's day is Sunday is really beyond any question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is that Jesus rose on a Sunday and it became known as the Lord's Day and recognized as a day of worship rather than the Sabbath of old.
Where is the scripture in the Bible saying that Sunday is a holy day of the Lord our God? God never abolished the seventh day Sabbath and told us to start keeping Sunday as a holy day. This is a man-made teaching Jesus warned us about in Mathew 15:8-9

God is unchanging which is why Sabbath started from creation Genesis 2:3 and will continue on for eternity Isaiah 66:23. Note we are not going to be worshipping Jesus on the New Earth on the first day. The commandment that God asked us to REMEMBER still stands Exodus 20:8-11

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not just in early Christian manuscripts. Sunday was always the day that Christians gathered for their service (tradition). There is also a very strong argument to be made from the scripture. I think the answer to this is very simple.

Was the Lord's day the Sabbath day or the first day?

If John was referring to the Sabbath day, then John would have used that name to identify that day. John gave a new name to a day without a name, i.e., the first day.

That the Lord's day is Sunday is really beyond any question.
You may enjoy this article: ;)

The Lord's Day - Revelation 1:10 ... The First Day!

Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When looking at the Old Law one can categorize the Old Testament Mosaic Law (the 613 Laws of Moses) into a threefold division:
  1. Moral Laws (Any Law pertaining to doing good as a part of nature).
  2. Ceremonial Laws (Laws pertaining to ceremonies or rituals).
  3. Civil Laws (Laws dealing with civil matters; Which includes Laws on carrying out justice).
Even before the written Law of Moses: We can see that there were Moral Laws (like: “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” Do not covet,” “Do not commit adultery,” etc.), and Ceremonial Laws (like: animal sacrifices).

God's moral laws came into existence for man and would forever exist for him after the Fall of Adam and Eve (after they received the knowledge of good and evil). A Moral Law is any law telling you to do good without a specific law telling you that such a thing is so (See Romans 2:14). These moral laws existed before the Law of Moses.

In the New Covenant (or New Testament) these Moral Laws (like: “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” Do not covet,” “Do not commit adultery,” etc.) are repeated from the 613 laws within the Law of Moses and they still are in effect (i.e. They have been carried over into the New Testament). However, the Old Testament Law of Moses as a whole or package deal is no more (contractually speaking). Ceremonial Laws or commands: Things like the commands on circumcision, animal sacrifices, the Saturday Sabbath, dietary etc. are no longer binding under the New Covenant. This is because the written Law given to Israel is no longer in effect (as a whole). How so?

Here are a list of verses showing us the Old Law is no more:

"When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:13) (NLT).

”Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.” (Romans 7:4).

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6).

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;" (Colossians 2:14).

20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."
(Colossians 2:20-23).

“By abolishing in His [own crucified] flesh the enmity [caused by] the Law with its decrees and ordinances [which He annulled]; that He from the two might create in Himself one new man [one new quality of humanity out of the two], so making peace.” (Ephesians 2:15) (AMPC).

"The old [former] rule [commandment; regulation] is now set aside [nullified; abolished], because it was weak and useless [ineffective]." (Hebrews 7:18) (EXB).

9 “Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.” (Hebrews 9:9-10).

16 “For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.” (Hebrews 9:16-17).

”And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament…” (Hebrews 9:15).

27 “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” (Matthew 26:27-28).

50 “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; “ (Matthew 27:20-51).

8 “Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” (Hebrews 10:8-9).

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:1).

“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:5).

“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment” (Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

28 "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts of the Apostles 15:28-29).

7 "But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious." (2 Corinthians 3:7-11).

“But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.” (2 Corinthians 3:14).​

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).​

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).​

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law." (Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17).​

In conclusion:

You sort of have to look at the Old Covenant (Old Testament) as one contract, and the New Covenant (New Testament) as another contract. It's kind of like a contract when you buy a house. If you did not like certain things in the contract, you could ask them to make some changes in the contract. If they agreed to the changes, you would then go by the new contract, and the old contract for the house would be discarded. There may be some similar things between the old contract, and the new contract, but you stick with the new contract in your dealing with buying the house. Meaning: This is why we seek to follow the New Covenant (New Testament) primarily even though there are certain laws that have carried over from the Old Covenant (Old Testament). We are clearly not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. We follow the commands that come from Jesus and His followers.

Teaching some of God’s commandments, but not the 4th that God said REMEMBER is not biblical.

There is more than one Sabbath in the Bible and Colossians is about food and drink, ceremonial Sabbaths. God’s Sabbath 4th commandment is part of the eternal covenant that was placed along with the other 9 commandments in the ark in the temple of the most holy. Denying God’s Sabbath that He asked us to Remember is breaking one of God’s commandments and is considered sin. Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7, John 3:4.

There is not one scripture in the Bible where God or Jesus told us that the seventh day Sabbath is abolished and we are now to keep Sunday as a holy day. This is a tradition of man that we are warned about by Jesus Mathew 15:8-9

We will be worshipping God on His chosen day for eternity not the first day that was created by man. Isaiah 66:23

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟301,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is unchanging which is why Sabbath started from creation Genesis 2:3 and will continue on for eternity Isaiah 66:23. Note we are not going to be worshipping Jesus on the New Earth on the first day. The commandment that God asked us to REMEMBER still stands Exodus 20:8-11
Although God's rest on the seventh day in Genesis 2:3 did foreshadow a future sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.*

The word "sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: Tomorrow is a sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.

God's word makes it clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the 10 Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15).

*Nowhere in the New Testament is the Church/the body of Christ commanded to keep the weekly sabbath day and to the contrary we find -- (Colossians 2:16-17)

In regards to Isaiah 66:23, this simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and the new earth, we read there will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25) How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law? The Isaiah passage simply means that God’s people will perpetually worship Him in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

Furthermore, if you insist on sabbath observances based on Isaiah 66:23, then you also need to observe new moons as well. Yet from what I hear, SDA's don’t observe new moons, which is inconsistent. New moons require night, which requires night in heaven, yet there is no day and night cycles in heaven. You cannot have "new moon to new moon" or "sabbath days" without day and night. Will there be Levital priests in the new heaven? If Isaiah 66:23 teaches that we will keep the sabbath day in the new heaven, then it also teaches in Isaiah 66:21 that the Levitical priests will be in the new heaven, because it is also mentioned. What happened to the Levitical priesthood under the new covenant terms? Priesthood changed so did the law. Hebrews 7:12 - For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. *The old and new covenants do not mix.*

Exodus 20 is written to the Israelites under the old covenant. Exodus 20:1 - And God spoke all these words, saying: 2 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage."

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Although God's rest on the seventh day in Genesis 2:3 did foreshadow a future sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in scripture is there any hint that sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses.*

The word "sabbath" first appears in Exodus 16:23 - Then he said to them, “This is what the Lord has said: Tomorrow is a sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake today, and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.

God's word makes it clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the 10 Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15).

*Nowhere in the New Testament is the Church/the body of Christ commanded to keep the weekly sabbath day and to the contrary we find -- (Colossians 2:16-17)

In regards to Isaiah 66:23, this simply teaches that from month to month and from week to week, God’s people will worship Him. In the new heaven and the new earth, we read there will have no need of the sun or moon, there will be no night there, but one perpetual day and the glory of God will illuminate it. (Revelation 21:23-25) How then could there be a cycle of seven days that would allow for literally keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law? The Isaiah passage simply means that God’s people will perpetually worship Him in contrast to keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law.

Furthermore, if you insist on sabbath observances based on Isaiah 66:23, then you also need to observe new moons as well. Yet from what I hear, SDA's don’t observe new moons, which is inconsistent. New moons require night, which requires night in heaven, yet there is no day and night cycles in heaven. You cannot have "new moon to new moon" or "sabbath days" without day and night. Will there be Levital priests in the new heaven? If Isaiah 66:23 teaches that we will keep the sabbath day in the new heaven, then it also teaches in Isaiah 66:21 that the Levitical priests will be in the new heaven, because it is also mentioned. What happened to the Levitical priesthood under the new covenant terms? Priesthood changed so did the law. Hebrews 7:12 - For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also. *The old and new covenants do not mix.*

Exodus 20 is written to the Israelites under the old covenant. Exodus 20:1 - And God spoke all these words, saying: 2 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage."

You must not be reading the same verse in Isaiah, I will post it here so we can see the complete scripture:

Isaiah 66:23
And it shall come to pass
That from one New Moon to another,
And from one Sabbath to another,
All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the Lord.

It says from one Sabbath to another (week to week) we will worship our Lord. Just like God’s 4th commandment that cannot be broken. Sabbath is defined by God as the seventh day, which is and always will be Saturday.

Exodus 20: 8“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In ityou shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who iswithin your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lordblessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Upvote 0