Saturday Sabbath vs Sunday The Lords Day....GO!

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Paul observed the Sabbath (and he did), it would shoot holes in the very idea that Paul's words negated the Sabbath in some way. Acts of the Apostles 17:2
His custom wasn't Sabbath-keeping. His custom was to preach the gospel to lost Sabbatarians. Easy to find them gathered in synagogues on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus specifically mentions Sabbath keeping during the great tribulation (and He did), it is still to be observed. Matthew 24:20
What about Jesus' example?

John 5:18 NIV
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 9:16 NIV
Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Okay, thanks.
Isaiah 66:23 does not support your previous claim then. It means a week, not that we will be observing the Sabbath law.
Not sure how you see a difference in worshipping God on the day He asked us to keep holy, the Sabbath 4th commandment Exodus 20:8-11and God telling us for those saved will continue worshipping Him each and every Sabbath. Isaiah 66:23 There is no difference.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What about Jesus' example?

John 5:18 NIV
For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 9:16 NIV
Some of the Pharisees said, “This man is not from God, for he does not keep the Sabbath.” But others asked, “How can a sinner perform such signs?” So they were divided.
Jesus was accused of a lot of thing, including breaking the Sabbath, but Jesus did not sin. He kept all the commandments and asked us to as well. John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes a Christian think that there is somehow any pause whatsoever in the Sabbath observance?
This should give anyone pause. Before... until... Now...

Galatians 3:23-25 NIV
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how you see a difference in worshipping God on the day He asked us to keep holy, the Sabbath 4th commandment Exodus 20:8-11and God telling us for those saved will continue worshipping Him each and every Sabbath. Isaiah 66:23 There is no difference.
The difference is the "us" is the Israelites only.

Romans 3:21 NIV
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only scripture spoken and written by the hand of God in the entire Bible is The Ten commandments, now written in our heart in the New Covenant. God asked us to obey all Ten commandments, not just nine.
Have you perfectly obeyed all 10 commandments from the old covenant of law (Exodus 20) and do you believe that will be the basis or means by which you will receive eternal life?

• Useful
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
For an Adventist to give up weekly sabbath keeping is essentially giving up salvation. They even teach that near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Mark of the Beast

"Here we find the mark of the beast. The very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, on the part of the Catholic church, without any authority from the Bible." (Ellen G. White, The Mark of the Beast, page 23).

"The Sunday Sabbath is purely a child of the Papacy. It is the mark of the beast." (Advent Review, Vol. I, No. 2, August, 1850).

"The change of the Sabbath is the sign or mark of the authority of the Romish church.” ... “The keeping of the counterfeit Sabbath is the reception of the mark." (Ellen G. White, Great Controversy, Vol. 4, page 281).

Ellen White - "It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord. God says: "Them that honor Me I will honor." 1 Samuel 2:30. E.G. White, 6 Testimonies, pp. 353-356.

Ellen G White also claimed she had a vision in which she was shown the law of God in a heavenly sanctuary, and the fourth commandment (concerning the sabbath) was surrounded by a halo of light, then began to uphold sabbath-keeping as a primary doctrine.

Ellen G White: In the holiest I saw an ark; ... In the ark was the golden pot of manna, Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of stone which folded together like a book. Jesus opened them, and I saw the ten commandments written on them with the finger of God. On one table were four, and on the other six. The four on the first table shone brighter than the other six. But the fourth, the Sabbath commandment, shone above them all; for the Sabbath was set apart to be kept in honor of God's holy name. The holy Sabbath looked glorious—a halo of glory was all around it. Early Writings of Ellen G. White, page 32, 33.

Ellen G White makes an idol of the sabbath commandment by saying that it shown brighter than the rest with a halo around it. The fact remains that the sabbath commandment from the old covenant for Israel was never included in the new covenant for Christians. It was a law given to the Israelites under the old covenant (Exodus 31:16-17; 35:1-3; Deuteronomy 5:1-15; Numbers 15:32-36; Nehemiah 9:13 etc..) and not to Christians under the new covenant. (Colossians 2:16-17)

• Informative
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Not really. God gave the commandments for everyone, which is why it's a sin to break any of God's laws. That's why its sin to worship idols, vain God's name, murder, covet etc. These all came from God's morals laws that are eternal.

Jesus made certain we would know the Sabbath was made for all when He said Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. It does not say Sabbath was made for Jews. God made man on the six day and the very next day was Sabbath.

Hope this helps. God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point of my post, is to show what Covenant Changed. It was the Priesthood Covenant God made with Levi, on Israel's behalf that changed. That is, how God's Laws are Administered, and how Transgression of God's Law is atoned for.

If a person doesn't understand what LAW was "ADDED" because of Transgression, "Till the SEED should come", and willing to separate it, as God and Paul did, from the Covenant of Abraham HE furthered on to Abraham's Children when HE rescued them from Egypt, which Covenant they broke, then they will not understand Galatians. Instead, they will believe, as the religions of this world promote, that the Old Covenant was God's Statutes, Commandments and Laws HE gave, first to Abraham, then to Abraham's Children.

Heb. 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?

12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

The Old Covenant the Bible speaks to has nothing to do with changing or altering God's Judgments or Commandments. It was the Priesthood Covenant God made with Levi "Because of Transgressions".

This is the Law the Jews were trying to bring the Galatians under.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I only know of one covenant given at Mt Sinai that was considered "The Law" that Paul would be speaking about in Galatians.

I do not see how it can be partitioned into different covenants. Therefore it cannot be just the Priesthood law that the Jews were trying to bring the Galatians under - it had to be the whole of it as given at Mt Sinai.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His custom wasn't Sabbath-keeping. His custom was to preach the gospel to lost Sabbatarians. Easy to find them gathered in synagogues on the Sabbath.
Amen! These were not Christians having a weekly church service here but Jews and proselytes who Paul preached the gospel to. The Bible says in Acts 14:1, that they BECAME believers proving Paul's work there was evangelism and not sabbath worship. The Greeks were Jewish converts to Judaism known as proselytes. They practiced the law of Moses and kept the sabbath. The Gentiles that were in the synagogue along with the Jews were proselytes.

Acts 13:43 "Now when the meeting of the synagogue had broken up, many of the Jews and of the God-fearing proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue in the grace of God."

Acts 14:1 "In Iconium they entered the synagogue of the Jews together, and spoke in such a manner that a large number of people believed, both of Jews and of Greeks."

Acts 17:4 "And some of them were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, along with a large number of the God-fearing Greeks and a number of the leading women.“

Acts 18:4 "And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks."

• Agree
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not really. God gave the commandments for everyone, which is why it's a sin to break any of God's laws. That's why its sin to worship idols, vain God's name, murder, covet etc. These all came from God's morals laws that are eternal.

Jesus made certain we would know the Sabbath was made for all when He said Mark 2:27 And He said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. It does not say Sabbath was made for Jews. God made man on the six day and the very next day was Sabbath.

Hope this helps. God bless

Right. The Sabbath day of creation was made for man. Not the Sabbath day of every week since then. Hint, God finished His work of creation that week. God has rested from the creation from that day even until now.

Israel remembered the Sabbath day of creation and kept it holy, the day created for man, by observing it in remembrance through the weekly Sabbaths.

We now, after receiving the promise that the Sabbath day of creation brings, now rest as God has rested from His works. Not in a cycle - but perpetually forever.

If you want to remember the Sabbath day of creation and keep it holy on Saturday I think that's great. If you want to remember it on Sunday, that is great too. If you want to remember it on Monday, ok, fantastic.

Personally, I think it should be remembered and kept holy all day - every day - as a guard against our own self-righteousness.

I know there are people who think they are being 'righteous' by going to church on Sunday, just as much as there are the same thoughts of those who meet on Saturday.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Right. The Sabbath day of creation was made for man. Not the Sabbath day of every week since then. Hint, God finished His work of creation that week. God has rested from the creation from that day even until now.

Israel remembered the Sabbath day of creation and kept it holy, the day created for man, by observing it in remembrance through the weekly Sabbaths.

We now, after receiving the promise that the Sabbath day of creation brings, now rest as God has rested from His works. Not in a cycle - but perpetually forever.

If you want to remember the Sabbath day of creation and keep it holy on Saturday I think that's great. If you want to remember it on Sunday, that is great too. If you want to remember it on Monday, ok, fantastic.

Personally, I think it should be remembered and kept holy all day - every day - as a guard against our own self-righteousness.

I know there are people who think they are being 'righteous' by going to church on Sunday, just as much as there are the same thoughts of those who meet on Saturday.

You are missing the whole point of God's 4th commandment. I feel like its been explained to you, but you cannot force people to "hear" what they don't want to.

We can only keep holy the seventh day, because that is the day God deemed holy. You are essentially arguing with God about His chosen day.

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

A commandment means its something we are supposed to do. In this case, God commanded us to keep holy the seventh day Sabbath. The first day (Sunday) is considered a working day, not a holy day, so why would anyone want to worship God on 1. a working day. 2. not the day God asked us to. When we obey Him and His commandment we are showing our loyalty to our Creator and Savior. When you worship Him on a made-made tradition that Jesus warns us about Mathew 15:8-9, and as the Catholic church tells us, you are really worshipping a commandment of the Catholic church and not God. It's your choice. There is only one Truth and there is only one day God asked us to keep Holy in the entire bible. The Sabbath is meant to be a blessing and a delight. It's the day we have holy communion with our Savior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I only know of one covenant given at Mt Sinai that was considered "The Law" that Paul would be speaking about in Galatians.

I do not see how it can be partitioned into different covenants. Therefore it cannot be just the Priesthood law that the Jews were trying to bring the Galatians under - it had to be the whole of it as given at Mt Sinai.

I understand completely. It was not until I started studying for myself that I learned of this truth, because the religions of the land do not teach it.

Consider the following Scriptures where God places a division between the Covenant He made with Levi of Israel's behalf, and the Covenant of Abraham God gave to Abraham's Children, that they broke.

Jer. 7:22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

When did this take place?

Ex. 19:4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. (An Exodus)

5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

This is the Covenant of Abraham.

Gen. 12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: (An Exodus)

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

And Abraham obeyed.

Gen. 26:4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;

5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

But Israel didn't obey.

Jer. 7:24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

Ex. 32:7 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go, get thee down; for thy people, which thou broughtest out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves:

8 They have turned aside quickly out of the way which I commanded them: they have made them a molten calf, and have worshipped it, and have sacrificed thereunto, and said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which have brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people:

10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

This was Israel breaking the Covenant of Abraham God gave them. So did God utterly destroy them? No.

Ex. 32:26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD'S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.

27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.

28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

Then what happened?

Ex. 32:30 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD; peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin.

There was no "Law of Atonement", "LAW of the Sin offering". It was not "ADDED" until after Israel Transgressed.

Malachi speaks clearly to this Covenant with Levi.

Mal. 2:4 And ye shall know that I have sent this commandment unto you, that my covenant might be with Levi, saith the LORD of hosts.

5 My covenant was with him of life and peace; and I gave them to him for the fear wherewith he feared me, and was afraid before my name. (EX. 32:26)

So you see, there was 2 Covenants. The Covenant of Abraham.

Ex. 2:23 And it came to pass in process of time, that the king of Egypt died: and the children of Israel sighed by reason of the bondage, and they cried, and their cry came up unto God by reason of the bondage.

24 And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.

And the ADDED Covenant of Levi for Atonement.

Lev. 4:27 And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty;

28 Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned.

29 And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering.

30 And the priest shall take of the blood thereof with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar.

31 And he shall take away all the fat thereof, as the fat is taken away from off the sacrifice of peace offerings; and the priest shall burn it upon the altar for a sweet savour unto the LORD; and the priest shall make an atonement for him, and it shall be forgiven him.

This Priest was the exclusive duty of Levites (Aaron and his sons), by Priesthood Law.

When Jesus came, HE became our High Priest as Prophesied. So the Priesthood Covenant with Levi "Priesthood after the Order of Aaron", was replaced with the New Covenant, "the Priesthood after the Order of Melchizedek".

but before this could happen, the Priesthood Law requiring "WHO" could become the High Priest, would by necessity, have to change. As also Prophesied.

Heb. 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

2 Covenants. One they Broke, and another one "ADDED" because they Transgressed. (Gal. 3:19)

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan@work
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are missing the whole point of God's 4th commandment. I feel like its been explained to you, but you cannot force people to "hear" what they don't want to.

We can only keep holy the seventh day, because that is the day God deemed holy. You are essentially arguing with God about His chosen day.

Exodus 20:8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

A commandment means its something we are supposed to do. In this case, God commanded us to keep holy the seventh day Sabbath. The first day (Sunday) is considered a working day, not a holy day, so why would anyone want to worship God on 1. a working day. 2. not the day God asked us to. When we obey Him and His commandment we are showing our loyalty to our Creator and Savior. When you worship Him on a made-made tradition that Jesus warns us about Mathew 15:8-9, and as the Catholic church tells us, you are really worshipping a commandment of the Catholic church and not God. It's your choice. There is only one Truth and there is only one day God asked us to keep Holy in the entire bible. The Sabbath is meant to be a blessing and a delight. It's the day we have holy communion with our Savior.

Honestly, I am not missing the whole point.

The commandment is to remember the Sabbath to keep it holy.

The commandment is not to remember the Sabbaths to keep them holy.

God's choosen day was the seventh day of creation. That is the day He commands to remember and keep holy.

The way in which He commanded the Children of Israel to do that was by observing a weekly Sabbath(among other Sabbaths in the year and throughout the years).

The way in which He commands us is by resting from our works, as He did on that day - and has forever since.

The Sabbath day is a blessing and a delight. And in our rest in Christ, a perpetual rest in Faith, we can have that blessing and delight every day of the week - every year of our lives.

Meeting with others on Sunday(first day of the week) is not worshiping any commandment of anyone. If that were the case, then the Apostles were guilty of this. There is no teaching against this.

We only break the 4th commandment when we choose to not remember the Sabbath day God rested and keep it holy.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I am not missing the whole point.

The commandment is to remember the Sabbath to keep it holy.

The commandment is not to remember the Sabbaths to keep them holy.

God's choosen day was the seventh day of creation. That is the day He commands to remember and keep holy.

The way in which He commanded the Children of Israel to do that was by observing a weekly Sabbath(among other Sabbaths in the year and throughout the years).

The way in which He commands us is by resting from our works, as He did on that day - and has forever since.

The Sabbath day is a blessing and a delight. And in our rest in Christ, a perpetual rest in Faith, we can have that blessing and delight every day of the week - every year of our lives.

Meeting with others on Sunday(first day of the week) is not worshiping any commandment of anyone. If that were the case, then the Apostles were guilty of this. There is no teaching against this.

We only break the 4th commandment when we choose to not remember the Sabbath day God rested and keep it holy.
So the 4th commandment is the only one that applies "one time" but all the other commandments are forever- we should forever not take God's name in vain, or forever not worship other gods, or forever not murder, or forever not covet, but the Sabbath is just "one time". Sorry dear friend, that is not what the commandments says. You should probably re-read in prayer because it states to keep the Sabbath holy. Every seventh day i.e. THE SEVENTH DAY is THE SABBATH.... it does not say a seventh day, but the seventh day which happens on a weekly cycle.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The scriptures disagrees with your interpretation Ezekiel 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God.

You can believe as you wish, but you are not really disagreeing with me, my opinion means nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Maybe you can provide scripture where Jesus did not keep the Sabbath. Not the scripture where the Pharisees accused Jesus of not keeping Sabbath, which is proof enough if they were accusing Him of breaking the Sabbath, which He wasn't, that means He was keeping Sabbath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually my Friend, it is the Word's of the Bible which give me my understanding. They are shown in the Word's of your Bible that you didn't consider in your reply. Allow me to include them in this discussion.

Heb. 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.

God's Commandments, Statutes and Judgments given to Abraham and then to Abraham's Children, did not change, at least according to the God of the Bible. Paul said this Priesthood Law wasn't "ADDED" until 430 years after Abraham.

What Changed was this Priesthood Law which Paul said was "ADDED" because of Transgressions, which declared "WHO" COULD BECOME THE HIGH PRIEST. As the Hebrews Author details in the Scriptures I posted from your own Bible.

Abraham did not have this Priesthood, therefore was not under it.

Please don't be angry towards me my friend. Instead, let us examine the Scriptures together, including "Every Word of God", as Jesus Himself instructed.

That is illogical. The priesthood naturally includes it's own set of laws. The writer of Hebrews is referring to the Law being changed in general. Read Hebrews 7:18-19 and pay special close attention to verse 19.

Hebrews 7:18-19 KJB
[18] “For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. [19] For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did ; by the which we draw nigh unto God.”
Note verse 19. It speaks of how the word “law” in verse 19 generically. Verse 19 does not say, “the law of the priesthood.” That is something you are adding to the text because you like the idea of keeping the Old Law. For Jesus said,

“No man also having drunk old wine immediately desires new:
for he says, The old is better.”
(Luke 5:39) (KJV 2000).​

Besides...

Here are a list of verses showing us the Old Law is no more:

"When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:13) (NLT).

”Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.” (Romans 7:4).

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6).

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;" (Colossians 2:14).

20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."
(Colossians 2:20-23).

“By abolishing in His [own crucified] flesh the enmity [caused by] the Law with its decrees and ordinances [which He annulled]; that He from the two might create in Himself one new man [one new quality of humanity out of the two], so making peace.” (Ephesians 2:15) (AMPC).

"The old [former] rule [commandment; regulation] is now set aside [nullified; abolished], because it was weak and useless [ineffective]." (Hebrews 7:18) (EXB).

9 “Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.” (Hebrews 9:9-10).

16 “For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.” (Hebrews 9:16-17).

”And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament…” (Hebrews 9:15).

27 “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” (Matthew 26:27-28).

50 “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; “ (Matthew 27:20-51).

8 “Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” (Hebrews 10:8-9).

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:1).

“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:5).

“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment” (Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

28 "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts of the Apostles 15:28-29).

7 "But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious." (2 Corinthians 3:7-11).

“But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.” (2 Corinthians 3:14).​

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).​

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).​

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).​

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law." (Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17).​

In conclusion:

You sort of have to look at the Old Covenant (Old Testament) as one contract, and the New Covenant (New Testament) as another contract. It's kind of like a contract when you buy a house. If you did not like certain things in the contract, you could ask them to make some changes in the contract. If they agreed to the changes, you would then go by the new contract, and the old contract for the house would be discarded. There may be some similar things between the old contract, and the new contract, but you stick with the new contract in your dealing with buying the house. Meaning: This is why we seek to follow the New Covenant (New Testament) primarily even though there are certain laws that have carried over from the Old Covenant (Old Testament). We are clearly not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. We follow the commands that come from Jesus and His followers.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So the 4th commandment is the only one that applies "one time" but all the other commandments are forever- we should forever not take God's name in vain, or forever not worship other gods, or forever not murder, or forever not covet, but the Sabbath is just "one time". Sorry dear friend, that is not what the commandments says. You should probably re-read in prayer because it states to keep the Sabbath holy. Every seventh day i.e. THE SEVENTH DAY is THE SABBATH.... it does not say a seventh day, but the seventh day which happens on a weekly cycle.

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

The scriptures disagrees with your interpretation Ezekiel 20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God.

You can believe as you wish, but you are not really disagreeing with me, my opinion means nothing.

No, I never said or implied that the commandment applies to a "one time" obeying.

It is perpetual, as is His rest, just like any other commandment. The seventh day of creation was the day God rested and hallowed - He forever ceased the work of creation - He did not start creating again the next day.

You seem to be caught up in the weekly Sabbaths(plural) and not remembering the Sabbath(singular) day God rested.

Maybe this will help. You are married, as so am I.

I was married on January 20th, 2001.

Every year on January 20th we 'remember' the day we were married. Does it mean we get married each year? No, it is a day that we remember when we were married. Does it mean every January 20th is the same as the actual day we were married? No, we enjoy our marriage all year long.

The weekly Sabbaths were a remembrance of the actual day that God rested. The day God rested was the day He blessed and made holy. That is the day the commandment says to remember.

Now, God wanted them to remember that day in a specific manner. He wanted them to remember it by resting each week, on the seventh day of that week.

What we know, that they did not, is the Sabbath day of creation was pointing to the Messiah to come - and our rest in Him. This is what we learn from the book of Hebrews.

We now remember the Sabbath day of creation, keeping the 4th commandment, by resting from our works as God did His. Resting on the Sabbath day each week is not resting as God did because the next day you start the week all over again - God did not start creation all over again.

The 'law' of the ordinance in keeping the weekly Sabbath was to guard them, as were the other laws, until the fulness of time when Christ came. Now that Christ has come, we rest in Him - not in a day - we rest in His finished work.

Does that mean we cannot still 'remember' the Sabbath day of creation each week? Of course not! I still remember my wedding on the 20th of January. However, I can remember my wedding anytime, I do not have to wait till the 20th of January comes around. :)

There have been times over the years when we did not get to celebrate our wedding on the 20th. Does it change the fact we were married on that day if we celebrate it on the 21st or 19th? No!

Why? Because we love each other. We know it is not about the day that comes around once a year, it is not even about the actual day back in 2001 - it is about each and every single day we have with each other.

[Heb 4:1-2 ESV] Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.

I hope the message benefits you and you are united with it in Faith.

Upvote 0