variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am not a conservative or a Republican. I am just trying to look at the Iraq war realistically, that Saddam was not innocent of supporting terrorism and possessing weapons of mass destruction, and that it would be irresponsible for the United States to abandon Iraq in chaos. I don't have an opinion on whether war was the best option for removing Saddam, but once you break it, you bought it.

For something you don't have an opinion of you seem to be presenting evidence rather lopsidedly.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For something you don't have an opinion of you seem to be presenting evidence rather lopsidedly.

I remember Bill O'Reilly, someone I don't listen to very often, saying that it would have been better to assassinate Saddam than have a full-scale invasion. Yet he then said that once we started the war, we had a responsibility to not leave the country in chaos.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I remember Bill O'Reilly, someone I don't listen to very often, saying that it would have been better to assassinate Saddam than have a full-scale invasion. Yet he then said that once we started the war, we had a responsibility to not leave the country in chaos.

I agree. But that doesn't mean that the invasion was not a horrible mistake now does it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Desert Storm - War with Iraqi

Persian Gulf War, sometimes called Operation Desert Storm, was fought in early 1991 between Iraq and a coalition of 39 countries organized mainly by the United States and the United Nations (UN). The war took place chiefly in Iraq and the tiny oil-rich nation of Kuwait. These two countries lie together at the northern end of the Persian Gulf. Leading members of the coalition against Iraq included Egypt, France, Great Britain, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and the United States .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War
Satellite Photos Support Testimony That Iraqi WMD Went to Syria - given that Syria was one of the "leading members of the coalition against Iraq" during Operation Desert Storm in 1991, what possible reason would Saddam have for arming this neighboring enemy with WMD?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What I mean is that, in the long run, it might be left a better place than how we found it.

And how are we to prove this is the best of all possible worlds?

I don't live in the world where the United States showed proper restraint, so it's hard to compare such a place to our own.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please keep in mind, I do not support the Iraq war. I think there were means other than full scale war for removing Saddam. At the same time, I will let history ultimately decide whether going to war was a mistake. It's all based on whether or not Iraq will be better off in the long run than it would have been if Saddam stayed in power.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Please keep in mind, I do not support the Iraq war. I think there were means other than full scale war for removing Saddam. At the same time, I will let history ultimately decide whether going to war was a mistake. It's all based on whether or not Iraq will be better off in the long run than it would have been if Saddam stayed in power.

Many people become teleological ethicists when it becomes convenient.

Do you think the ends justify the means? Because that is the position you are putting forward here, and I feel it is a weak justification for past actions unless it is clear it was for the best.

Also, do you factor in all the damage that the dubious reasons for going into the Iraq war did to our international reputation, and how that will hinder our ability to act in the future if we really do have a problem we need to intervene in?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think the ends justify the means?

We haven't seen the resolution of this and we won't know whether it justified the means until it happens.

Also, do you factor in all the damage that the dubious reasons for going into the Iraq war did to our international reputation, and how that will hinder our ability to act in the future if we really do have a problem we need to intervene in?

Didn't countries like France and Germany oppose going to war because they wanted to purchase cheap oil from Saddam? Weren't they somehow in favor of lifting the sanctions?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We haven't seen the resolution of this and we won't know whether it justified the means until it happens.

Well thats a great way to not answer the question. I asked if you thought the ends justify the means as a matter of principle.

Didn't countries like France and Germany oppose going to war because they wanted to purchase cheap oil from Saddam? Weren't they somehow in favor of lifting the sanctions?

For a person who overtly claims not to be a Republican you sure argue like one.

Is Rush Limbaugh your hero?

Casting aspersions on the opposition of others when it is more than likely that we were doctoring evidence in order to provoke a war is poor anyway you look at it. They were well justified aside from any political considerations for thinking this was a stupid idea.

In the end these countries were right about their reasons for not wanting to go to war and we were wrong in our case for going to war. When we turned out to be wrong, we looked bad and they looked correct for not buying our B.S.

You can attempt to justify all of our countries mistakes and faults all you like but don't pretend it is anything other than your own brand of subconscious rooting.

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Rush Limbaugh is a hack and I never listen to him.

Well, you are parroting arguments that Rush put forward for years so if you think he is hackish maybe you should consider that for a bit.

RUSH LIMBAUGH (nationally syndicated radio host): On the December 6 Rush Limbaugh Show, Limbaugh stated: "He [Saddam] bribed members of the U.N. Security Council to vote against the United States in that Security Council, France and Germany particularly. The Russians are on the list as well. You've got journalists in France; you've got members of Parliament from the United Kingdom on the list of the bribed.

Oil-for-food and European opposition to the war in Iraq: Separating conservative talking points from the facts | Media Matters for America

Didn't the same countries that opposed Bush's war in Iraq support Clinton when he routinely bombed Iraq and Eastern Europe?

Well bombing eastern Europe and invading Iraq were two different things that had vastly different levels of commitment involved and were undertaken for different reasons.

Is it reasonable to compare the two?

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well bombing eastern Europe and invading Iraq were two different things that had vastly different levels of commitment involved and were undertaken for different reasons.

Is it reasonable to compare the two?

If Al Gore were president, would these countries have protested the war so vehemently?

Upvote 0