Satan's name should translate to obstructionist

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The commonly cited definition of the name Satan is "adversary".

In this day and age "obstructionist" is a better definition.

Ey4LMXzVgAImtYR

Ey4LKwwVIAgkq2a

The spirit of obstructionism in current events exemplifies the left hand path associated with the anti christ.

There is a demographic motivated primarily by hatred and jealousy. Who prefer to make life harder on everyone while reducing our shared standard of living. In the delusion that reality is partitioned separately from the choices they make. And that the negative precedents they support will not personally affect them.

Obstructionists and obstructionism worldwide personifies the spirit of the anti christ and of lucifer.

Change my mind, if you are able, if you so desire to try.

Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Adversary and obstructionist carry near to identical context.

It might be fair to say.

-Satan is an obstructionist to progress.
-Satan is the adversary to progress.

In real world application, this could mean that satan and his followers are obstructionists/adversaries to individuals responsible for progress in the world, such as Donald Trump and Elon Musk.

In past history, it could mean that satan and his followers were obstructionists/adversaries to individuals seeking progress in the world such as Jesus and biblical prophets.

If you disagree, please explain why.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Because it has nothing to do with "progress", it literally means "the accuser" as in a legal case, e.g. the prosecutor.

In Kittel's classic and nearly definitive Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Volume II (Ann Arbor, MI: Eerdmans, 1964, page 73), Gerhard von Rad describes the Old Testament view of Satan as follows:

• So far as we can see, the word has a special place in the judicial life of Israel. The satan is the enemy in a specific sense, i.e., the accuser at law. His place is on the right hand of the accused (Zech. 3:1)...

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Liar and murderer from the beginning" is a better definition.
Or, "pain in the back side."

But who cares; he's been defeated.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You're focusing solely on the accuser definition, to ignore what I said about the adversary context.

If satan is "the adversary" you could try to explain why being an adversary to progress does not naturally follow.

That's because I work with language for my profession and I'm working on a translation of the Greek Holy Week. You don't just make up your own definitions on what words mean when translating them.

• Useful
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It might be fair to say.

In real world application, this could mean that satan and his followers are obstructionists/adversaries to individuals responsible for progress in the world, such as Donald Trump and Elon Musk.

In past history, it could mean that satan and his followers were obstructionists/adversaries to individuals seeking progress in the world such as Jesus and biblical prophets.

obstruct
[əbˈstrəkt, äbˈstrəkt]
VERB
  1. block (an opening, path, road, etc.); be or get in the way of.
    "she was obstructing the entrance"
    synonyms:
    block · block up · clog · clog up · get/stand in the way of · cut off · shut off · jam · bung up · gum up · choke · barricade · bar · dam up · gunge up · cumber · occlude · obturate
    • prevent or hinder (movement or someone or something in motion).
      "they had to alter the course of the stream and obstruct the natural flow of the water"
      synonyms:
      hold up · bring to a standstill · stop · halt · block
To obstruct means to prevent from happening , to get in the way of, to block.

Satan does not have the ability to stand in the way of God or obstruct God in any way . Satan is a progressive as his aim is to progressively corrupt God's Creation. He is not obstructing but undermining. Two very different things. His actions are aimed to corrupt not obstruct.

Jesus, by redeeming mankind, obstructs Satan's goal of progressively corrupting Creation.

Standing in the way of evil is a good thing.

Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ey4LMXzVgAImtYR

Ey4LKwwVIAgkq2a

The spirit of obstructionism in current events exemplifies the left hand path associated with the anti christ.

There is a demographic motivated primarily by hatred and jealousy. Who prefer to make life harder on everyone while reducing our shared standard of living. In the delusion that reality is partitioned separately from the choices they make. And that the negative precedents they support will not personally affect them.

Obstructionists and obstructionism worldwide personifies the spirit of the anti christ and of lucifer.

ob·struc·tion·ism

noun
  1. the practice of deliberately impeding or delaying the course of legal, legislative, or other procedures
ad·ver·sar·y
/ˈadvərˌserē/

noun
noun: adversary; plural noun: adversaries
  1. one's opponent in a contest, conflict, or dispute.
There is a war going on between God and satan. We know from scripture what the final outcome will be.

Satan has no control over when the final outcome of the war will happen. That is only known by God Himself. The influence of satan does not delay or impede the final outcome .... God decides when that will happen, regardless of what satan does.

Satan doesn't decide or have any control over when the war will end ... God does.

He, satan knows this as well.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's because I work with language for my profession and I'm working on a translation of the Greek Holy Week. You don't just make up your own definitions on what words mean when translating them.

You live in a world where the name washington redskins wasn't considered racist 2 years ago. But is considered racist today. And think definitions and terminology don't change?

Defining the name satanist as an adversary or obstructionist, is like saying water is wet. They're basic variations of the same principle.

One could say the smallest pebble in a boot could be an adversary to the greatest of warriors.

And the smallest pebble in a boot could be an obstruction to the greatest of warriors.

The context is close enough that your naysaying makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Ey4LMXzVgAImtYR

Ey4LKwwVIAgkq2a

The Hebrew word שָּׂטָן‎ (satan) means "accuser", not "obstructionist".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It might be fair to say.

Your position lacks any support from Scripture or two thousand years of Christian teaching.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You live in a world where the name washington redskins wasn't considered racist 2 years ago. But is considered racist today.

It was considered racist 2 years ago.
It was considered racist 20 years ago.

It sounds to me like you've just only recently discovered that people had a problem with an obviously racist name.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Translations do update words that have changed in meaning. For example, the Greek version of Psalm 51 ends in, ὁλοκαυτώματα or Holocautomata. Some translations leave it untranslated, as holocaust. Today, we'll translate that as "whole burnt offering".

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your remarks are 100% identical to the remarks hardcore atheists and marxists make.

I do not believe you are a christian, or a believer in God, whatever label is attached to your bio.

Christians love one another as Jesus loved, and it is against the rules of this forum to doubt someone's salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
staff edit

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Winner
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The context is close enough that your naysaying makes no sense to me.

I don't understand why you won't accept the actual definition of the word that has been in use since it first shows up in Job.

הַשָּׂטָן‎ – haśśāṭān, literally "the accuser" which in the Greek is translated as διάβολος diábolos, "slanderer"

Job 1
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. 7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

Upvote 0