Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Off the top of my head a fetus doesn’t count as a person in the census, on taxes, for welfare, building occupancy limits, and attendance at baseball games. There may be others.
So that makes them less of a human person, what kind of logic is that?

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
So that makes them less of a human person, what kind of logic is that?

It would suggest they aren’t a person. Change these things and your argument that a fetus is a person will hold more merit.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No change would take place other than that I don't fit the description of "person" under the law.
exactly so regardless of the law you would remain just as much a person as you have always been. The same is true for the unborn child, it was a human person from conception.

• Winner
Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

Lord Vega

King NES
Jun 13, 2020
Clearwater, FL
✟17,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you support laws that trample on the religious freedoms of others?

Satanism isn't a religion; it's willful rebellion against Christ. For this reason, restricting abortion isn't trampling on anyone's religious freedoms. Besides, it's not like Satanists are nuclear family-oriented people. You don't really see them marrying each other in heathenistic ceremonies and then having a lot of kids. I would assume that most Satanists don't start families. Their reason for aggressively opposing abortion laws isn't because they're having too many kids and actually feel the need to seek abortions; it's to stick it to religious Christians who value life.

Reactions: ItIsFinished!
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are laws requiring companies to provide health insurance that covers contraception, but religious companies don't have to obey them. That's the whole point of all this 'religious freedom' going around these days -- being able to ignore laws.
OK so if you think that a court would overlook murder in the case of a religious human sacrifice then you may be right but I doubt it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Satanism isn't a religion;

They say it is. Who are you to tell them it's not?

it's willful rebellion against Christ.

how is that not a religious position?

For this reason, restricting abortion isn't trampling on anyone's religious freedoms.

except theirs, which you've already dismissed as nonexistent.

Besides, it's not like Satanists are nuclear family-oriented people. You don't really see them marrying each other in heathenistic ceremonies and then having a lot of kids.

They're different. So what?

I would assume that most Satanists don't start families.

I'm sure you assume a great deal.

Their reason for aggressively opposing abortion laws isn't because they're having too many kids and actually feel the need to seek abortions; it's to stick it to religious Christians who value life.

Prove it.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If an unborn child is a person under criminal law why would it not be a child under any other circumstances? The truth is obvious but it is inconvenient. unfortunately and unfairly the child suffers death for indiscretions of the parent.

By this logic, I assume you have no issue with Apple, the NY Times, the Washington Post, etc. suing for their voting rights -- after all, corporations are defined as a "person" under some laws.

Satanism isn't a religion; it's willful rebellion against Christ. For this reason, restricting abortion isn't trampling on anyone's religious freedoms. Besides, it's not like Satanists are nuclear family-oriented people.

I'd be careful with this logic. First, I don't think you want the government involved in determining what are and are not legitimate religions. After all, I can see Catholics trying to argue that only Catholicism is actually Christian -- that all other Christian religions are offshoots of them. Further, if the government can determine what is and isn't religion, then it opens the door that they can determine what are and are not valid religious beliefs -- I can see a movement for the government to find gay "sins" are not a valid religious belief and, as such, religions cannot discriminate against gays (have to allow them as pastors, allow gay couples to marry, etc).

It does, at least initially, sound like a good thing to have the government able to determine what is and isn't a valid religion; in practice it is a very bad idea.

You don't really see them marrying each other in heathenistic ceremonies and then having a lot of kids. I would assume that most Satanists don't start families. Their reason for aggressively opposing abortion laws isn't because they're having too many kids and actually feel the need to seek abortions; it's to stick it to religious Christians who value life.

I would say that any argument that relies on your assumptions about a group is not worth the digital ink it is written with.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would suggest they aren’t a person. Change these things and your argument that a fetus is a person will hold more merit.
To say that a fetus is not a human person and only becomes a human person at some specific time is not consistent with logic or science

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
To say that a fetus is not a human person and only becomes a human person at some specific time is not consistent with logic or science

You pick the specific time as conception. I and the laws of this country pick birth. The Bible picks a month after birth when it comes to certain census taking purposes (Numbers 3:14-15).

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You pick the specific time as conception. I and the laws of this country pick birth. The Bible picks a month after birth when it comes to certain census taking purposes (Numbers 3:14-15).
so you would say that the unborn child is not a human person one day prior to birth, how ridiculous. As if some change happens at the moment of birth, that change happened at the moment of conception not at birth, it was a human person at conception and it is still a human person at birth.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
so you would say that the unborn child is not a human person one day prior to birth, how ridiculous. As if some change happens at the moment of birth, that change happened at the moment of conception not at birth, it was a human person at conception and it is still a human person at birth.

Breathing on their own starts to happen at birth. That’s a pretty big change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Satanism isn't a religion; it's willful rebellion against Christ.

That's fine to hold as a personal opinion. The problem is that this is a question of the government making such decisions, and then more specifically using them as a basis to treat various religious groups differently. That's not allowed.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

But for that to have any legal authority nationwide, the Constitution will have to be amended. Just like it required the 14th Amendment for Black people to have the same legal rights as anyone else in every state.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If a human person exists from the moment of conception--under the law--that means that a death certificate would have to be issued for every zygote which fails to implant and a coroner's inquest held whenever the cause of that failure is unclear. As a practical matter, how will that be handled?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

The law often isn't consistent with logic or science... but it is what it is.

Anyone who wants to pretend to care about consistency should've demanded that every pregnant woman in the country receive a double COVID stimulus check... for obvious reasons. I saw no complaints that they did not.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
"In accordance with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), first trimester abortions are now exempt from unnecessary regulations for all individuals practicing The Satanic Temple's religious abortion ritual."

https://announcement.thesatanictemple.com/rrr-campaign41280784

An interesting move by the Satanic Temple which counters the push from the fundagelicals on the right to ban abortion.

This could mean that a woman who wants an abortion can claim "religious freedom" as the justification for getting one. I wonder how this would hold up in the courts.
Given the fact that so many Christians think atheism and other forms of non-belief are actually religious beliefs--I think they are getting what they asked for. If religious people are going to claim that secular humanism is a religious belief, then how do they counter the claim from the Satanic Temple?

Upvote 0