United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
(lyrics)
"He is the living one who was dead, behold He is now alive forever and ever and holds the keys to death and Hades."
Yeeaaahhh!
YEEEAAAHHH!!
Royal blood flowed through His veins even as He was a beaten man spat on in shame.
Tied to the cross by mockers who scoffed, beaten, bruised, pulverized with no help from aloft.
And though His body was buried once they pulled Him from the tree, there was no grave on earth that could hold His majesty.
Death was rendered powerless and all hell fears His name...
Deathless Conqueror,
King of Kings riding through a field of blood…
"He that is dead is free from sin and if we be dead with Christ then we shall also live with Him.
Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dies no more; death has no more dominion over Him."

King of Kings and Lord of Lords,
Eyes of fire...
Deathless Conqueror!
with justice waging war
He's the Deathless Conqueror!

Faithful and True...
Deathless Conqueror!
Word of God…
Deathless Conqueror!
King of Kings!

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Mod Hat On
dr-seuss-cat-in-hat-2.jpg

This thread has been cleaned.
Please discuss the OP without flaming or personal comments
Thank you

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What attracts these lost young people is not wholesome. Heaven is wholesome. Thereby pleasing to God.

Copying the devil is not wholesome.

Are you aware that a lot of good ol' fashion hymns were set to the tune of old DRINKING SONGS?

Upvote 0

miggles

miggles
May 15, 2004
florida
✟40,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Are you aware that a lot of good ol' fashion hymns were set to the tune of old DRINKING SONGS?
Which ones? I know the Star Spangled Banner was set to the tune of an old drinking song. Which is fitting. These days anyway.

Upvote 0

Bunnelby

Deo Gratias
Oct 30, 2013
WV
✟8,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Which ones? I know the Star Spangled Banner was set to the tune of an old drinking song. Which is fitting. These days anyway.

A Mighty Fortress is our God has the tune of a drinking song.

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2011
Canada
✟17,342.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well I think since you called all those who don't agree with you "swine" you should at least back up your Opinion with scripture.

John 3:16
Backing up an opinion with Scripture is not the same as having a scriptural basis for an opinion.

To back up an opinion means a person forms an opinion first, then can lift any number of verses out of context to support it. It is not a biblical opinion.

To have a scriptural basis for an opinion means to study Scripture dilligently and objectively. It means finding a pattern in Scripture that leads to the formation of an opinion contextually.

Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Backing up an opinion with Scripture is not the same as having a scriptural basis for an opinion.

To back up an opinion means a person forms an opinion first, then can lift any number of verses out of context to support it. It is not a biblical opinion.

To have a scriptural basis for an opinion means to study Scripture dilligently and objectively. It means finding a pattern in Scripture that leads to the formation of an opinion contextually.

In that sense how do you know what came first ?

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In that sense how do you know what came first ?

Good question. Why do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead? This is something that is clearly revealed in the Bible.

How do you know the acceptable way to take communion? Many churches disagree on this. Each one will cite passages from the Bible to support the claim.

It requires constantly challenging our own assumptions and doctrines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Why do you believe that Jesus rose from the dead? This is something that is clearly revealed in the Bible.

How do you know the acceptable way to take communion? Many churches disagree on this. Each one will cite passages from the Bible to support the claim.

It requires constantly challenging our own assumptions and doctrines.

Hmmm I see your point there

Upvote 0

cafefan374

Moderate Centrist
Apr 21, 2011
Deep South
✟20,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Electric guitars can be a great tool for worship when used correctly and at the right times so I don't agree w/ you on that. Anyway, I don't see much electric guitars in church but then again In black churches we focus more on keyboards or pianos. Drums to an extent too. I hardly call the church that I attend a money grubbing church the pastor and his wife are very good at what they do. They are involved in missionary work and the wife actually has a counseling practice (She's a licensed social worker). I love hearing how musicians use different styles to glorify the Lord. I focus more on lyrics. Now I'm not a fan of christian rock but I love some acoustic :D.

Upvote 0

XB3LI3V3RX

Animal Lover
May 8, 2013
Tennessee
✟16,341.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
miggles said:
satan has thrown out the hymnals and brought in new age "music" . Drum sets and electric guitars have replaced the cross. Moronic
moneygrubbers have replaced preachers. Mockery has replaced reverence. Noise has replaced peace.

The moneychangers had nothing on the church today. Remember what Jesus did to them?

This is actually just your opinion because there is nowhere in the Bible that says the type of music you are referring to is bad. People have posted many scriptures proving to you that this kind of music actually agrees with what the Bible says about music. By your standards, I'm probably a Satanist for the music I listen to, but I actually worship God by listening to bands like For Today or War of Ages. If I'm truly worshiping The Lord with all my heart and this type of music gets me riled up, then who are you to judge my walk with Christ?

Upvote 0

SaltwaterHeart

A Christian Furry And A Christian Brony
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
✟7,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Music, in itself, is an art form. It takes a lot of practice to play a musical instrument, to sing, and to even read music.

So, maybe it is best to look at music as making a picture.

Let's say, you're really inspired by the story of Jonah and the whale. It hit you on a personal level, and now you want to draw something that retells it. What style of art will you use? And what medium will you use?
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what style it's in, or what medium you used. What really matters is that you are creating work that is inspired by God's Word, and for God Himself. And music works in the same way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

samjazz

Apr 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan has not and cannot destroy the church

Matthew 16:18
English Standard Version (ESV)

18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Revelation 11:15
English Standard Version (ESV)

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he shall reign forever and ever.”

Musical Styles in Church
I love the old hymns, and spent over 20 years in a United Methodist Church, but I also love much of the modern Praise and Worship music. Whether or not I like a particular genre of music is irrelevant. If there are people perform music that glorifies God, and there is a crowd who is lifted up by that then that's just awesome. I don't particularly enjoy rap for example, but if I listen to the words I can appreciate the message. If a church draws a younger crowd who appreciate that style and they also receive a biblically based message, how could that not be a win? Really, music itself can't be unholy, only the words can be unholy.

Praise and Worship Team Member's Perspective
As a bass player for a Praise and Worship team at my church, I can tell you that before every practice and start of services, we pray. Within that prayer, inevitably, whoever is praying adds words to this effect, "Lord, let this be about You and not us. We are here to lead Your church to worship not glorify ourselves. Let Your Spirit fill this house and let us bring glory and honor to You for you alone are worthy."

A Dad's Perspective
On my praise team, on rotation, my son plays lead guitar and my daughter sings. I could not be happier that my kids are invested in the Church and not out in the world doing worldly things.

Conclusion
One would have to have a heart of stone to not see what a positive difference Praise and Worship can have on people's lives. Please don't be too hasty to dismiss a particular style of music, even if its not your favorite. If it is reaching people for Christ it is a good thing. Remember, we will be spending eternity praising the Lord of Hosts, so I hope you all really dig making a joyful noise to the Lord, 'cause yer gonna be doing a lot of it!

Love, in Christ Jesus Name.
Sam

Upvote 0

jmcorn

Praise and Worship Bassist
Apr 2, 2014
South Carolina
✟7,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sam, I am also the bass player on our praise team. We always pray after every practice and before we play on Sunday. Most of the prayer centers around giving God all the honor and Glory and praise.

We play anything from Jesus Culture to hymns and anything in between. IMO those Hymns sound so much better with a full band. Check out "Just a little talk with Jesus" and Down at the Cross" by Lynda Randle.

Upvote 0

contango

...and you shall live...
Jul 9, 2010
Sometimes here, sometimes there
✟16,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
satan has thrown out the hymnals and brought in new age "music" . Drum sets and electric guitars have replaced the cross. Moronic
moneygrubbers have replaced preachers. Mockery has replaced reverence. Noise has replaced peace.

The moneychangers had nothing on the church today. Remember what Jesus did to them?

Ah yes, those pesky instruments. Good job we didn't have any newfangled trickery going on when that irreverent hack wrote the Psalms...

Psa 150:1 Praise the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
Psa 150:2 Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
Psa 150:3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet; Praise Him with the lute and harp!
Psa 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
Psa 150:5 Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals!
Psa 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!

Someone might have thought those loud and clashing cymbals were inappropriate. Trumpets can be quite loud as well, especially when the teenager next door is learning to play.

Upvote 0

samjazz

Apr 3, 2014
✟15,157.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sam, I am also the bass player on our praise team. We always pray after every practice and before we play on Sunday. Most of the prayer centers around giving God all the honor and Glory and praise.

We play anything from Jesus Culture to hymns and anything in between. IMO those Hymns sound so much better with a full band. Check out "Just a little talk with Jesus" and Down at the Cross" by Lynda Randle.

jmcorn, I kind of know of you from talk bass, I read the p&w bassist forum daily. In fact that's how I wound up here, I saw your post. I feel that the p&w forum is one of the most civil out there, especially with that much history. I will continue to read there, it's been very helpful to me.

I do my best to bring God glory and honor and praise. Each week I have two Sunday morning regular services and one youth evening service. I practice as much as I can, I have three rehearsals per week. I invest my "extra" cash on equipment. I don't say this in boasting, rather, as evidence of my commitment to serve Christ. Most of the people on praise teams in my area do the same thing. We gladly volunteer to serve and feel that service is a privilege. And I am sure that like me, when you see how music that you help bring to the congregation helps build an attitude of worship, witnessed by raised hands and voices, you know that it's all worthwhile.

When I came here I was hoping to find people serious about their ministry with music, and found this nonsense about Satan having victory over the Church because of P&W music instead. If that's not an attack by Satan, I don't know what is. Since he is a liar and the father of all lies, he will certainly be happy to use his own name to try and sow discord. While I can certainly understand how someone would feel bad if their favorite music was replaced with something they didn't like (I know I would), to attack like that, well, let's just say that I find it very sad indeed.

Upvote 0

jmcorn

Praise and Worship Bassist
Apr 2, 2014
South Carolina
✟7,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow Sam. That almost sounds like me talking there. From the equipment to the 3 practices per week. Although the practices are with 3 different bands. One is the Praise and worship band at church. One is a traveling Praise and worship band and the other one is a outreach band that travels around throwing block parties at different locations. The outreach band is doing all originals anything from hard rock to blues ( all with evangelistic messages).

However, I don't get to practice as much as I would like to due to the 5 kids running around the house. It gets crazy during soccer season with 3 of them playing and going 3 different directions. I have also tried to include them in the mobile praise and worship band.

Upvote 0