Satan and demons ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are demon's really fallen angels? Where does it say this in the Bible?

Can demons inhabit anyone, or only the unsaved? Where is this in the bible?

Is Satan really the 'head' of these demons? Where does it say this in the bible?

Is Satan really Lucifer? Where does it say this in the bible?

I ask only because I noticed that I've been taking a lot of things I have heard for granted, but had not looked it up myself to see if it was backed with scripture. "Critically examine everything, hold on to the good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Any comments?

God bless!

ZoneChaos

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2002
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
✟15,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God created multitudes of angels, including at least three archangels: Lucifer, Michael and Gabriel. Angels are spirit beings which may or may not manifest themselves in a visible form (usually not). All angels were created good and holy but Lucifer, the chief worship angel decided to exalt himself and led a rebellion in heaven against God.

Ezek. 28:13-15 "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone [was] thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou [art] the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee [so]: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou [wast] perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee."

Is 14:12-15 "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit."

Lucifer and his angels were cast out of heaven and became Satan and his evil spirits.

2 Peter 2:4 "For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast [them] down to hell, and delivered [them] into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;"

Satan is active today in the air and in the earth.

Job 1:7 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it."

Eph 2:2 "Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:"

Not being everywhere at once, as God is, he works through his forces, including fallen angels and demons. These spirits seek to live in and work through people, usually in a hidden way - usually not openly. The results of Satan’s work are still evident in our world today. Jesus came to destroy these works.

1 John 3:8 "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil."

Now, Are Demons Fallen Angels? The bible is not perfectly clear on this, but it serves logic to assume that as Lucifer is Satan, so are the Fallen Angels, his minions.

In every Christian resiedes the Holy Spirit. It is not possible for a Christian to be possessed by any other spirit than God.

Upvote 0
'Satan' is more of a title than a proper name. In hebrew it means 'Enemy'. Therefore 'Satan' can be applied to any fallen angel, demon, unclean spirit, or whatever term you prefer. In common usage people usually use Satan and Lucifer interchangeably, making no distinction between the individual and his status as enemy. Therefore it is accurate to say that Satan tempted you to do something, but in all liklihood it is one of Lucifer's followers that is actually at work and not Lucifer himself. I don't have a particular bible verse to back this up but you can use a strong's concordance to look up the term Lucifer and Satan and come to the same conclusion based on the definitions. If you do not have a strong's concordance your church library will probably have one, or they are available in virtually every bible book store. I highly recommend this book as a bible study aid.

Upvote 0
I don't have a particular bible verse to back this up but you can use a strong's concordance to look up the term Lucifer and Satan and come to the same conclusion based on the definitions. If you do not have a strong's concordance your church library will probably have one, or they are available in virtually every bible book store. I highly recommend this book as a bible study aid.

Strangely enough, that's exactly what I did when I studied this with my friends! That book is very useful in bible study!

God bless!

Upvote 0

Rob

Feb 25, 2002
Visit site
✟320.00
What has always amased me about this is these angles were in the presence of the glory of God constantly yet when Lucifer rebelled many sided with him. There is a verse in Revelations that speaks about 1/3 siding with Satan. 1/3 of inumerable is a boatload. They must have thought Satan could win this thing. What a persuasive lier he must be.

Here are some links to online Commentaries and Concordances

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Concordances/

Upvote 0
Well this may help a little:

Satan is his name and the Devil is what he "is"

Other titles:
The wicked or evil one
murderer
enemy
Dragon
Deciever
Beelzibub (prince of Demons)
Ruler of this world- this one deserves a verse
8:00 p.m.John 12:31
31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
(KJV)

John 14:30
30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.
(KJV)

Luke 4:5-6
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
(KJV)

We do not need to fear the devil though.
I Jn 4:4
4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
(KJV)

Now about demons
DEMONS

The only individual demon named in the New Testament (Satan himself is never referred to as a demon) is the one called Abaddon in Hebrew and Apollyon in Greek <Rev. 9:11>. Some scholars believe this is another name for Satan or that this is an unfallen angel. But stronger evidence suggests he was a fallen angelic leader who is subject to the kingly authority of Satan. Legion <Mark 5:9; Luke 8:30> is probably a collective name for a group of demons rather than the name of a single demon.

Demons seek a place to live
Matt 12:43-45
43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.
44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished.
45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.
(KJV)

But what if the Demon finds the Holy Spirit living in this house? You bet they will leave it alone.

Upvote 0
I would like to add that there are different classification of angels, off the top of my head, seraphim, cherubs, etc. It is logical to assume that angels from different classifications fell with Lucifer, and may account for some seeming to have more power than others, and different different terms applied to them, such as unclean spirits, principalities, demons, etc. I can't find any verse which implies that an unclean spirit can POSSESS a christian, but they can possess children. Jesus rebuked Peter because of the Peter's words that came from the enemy, but Jesus made no attempt to cast a spirit out, so we are probably safe to say that Peter was not possessed, but rather he was influenced.

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by rkbo
Well this may help a little:

The only individual demon named in the New Testament (Satan himself is never referred to as a demon) is the one called Abaddon in Hebrew and Apollyon in Greek <Rev. 9:11>.

rkbo,

Although it is not an individual demon, you forgot Mark 5:9, and Luke 8:30 where the demon possessed man in the country of the Gadarenes said his name was "Legion."

God Bless

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Willis Deal
I would like to add that there are different classification of angels, off the top of my head, seraphim, cherubs, etc. It is logical to assume that angels from different classifications fell with Lucifer, and may account for some seeming to have more power than others, and different different terms applied to them, such as unclean spirits, principalities, demons, etc. I can't find any verse which implies that an unclean spirit can POSSESS a christian, but they can possess children. Jesus rebuked Peter because of the Peter's words that came from the enemy, but Jesus made no attempt to cast a spirit out, so we are probably safe to say that Peter was not possessed, but rather he was influenced.

Good points Willis Deal. The verse that theologians use to prove that Christians cannot be demon possessed is 1 Corinthians 10:21: You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord’s table and of the table of demons.
The New King James Version, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 1998, c1982.

God Bless
There are also the four living creatures in the book of Revelation which we have no idea what they are. God has created some mind-boggling things in heaven that we are going to be in awe over!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.