Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This video is merely an illiterate cheap-shot at the Roman church. There are things one could criticize the Roman church for, like the Amazonian synod, the systematic abuse under Pope Francis of traditionalist monks, friars and nuns, the terrible liturgics in most Roman Rite parishes outside of Europe, the very unpleasant new Chaldean Catholic Patriarch, but, instead of addressing those problems, he just made up some arbitrary clickbait attack video.

I personally thought it was more done out of curiosity. He certainly wasn't illiterate. He also made it obvious multiple times that taking 'cheap-shots' was not at all his intention. He was just trying to convey a valid scriptural observation using facts and deep theological analysis to support his position.

If someone created a video attacking my position as a non-denominational Christian using scripture for evidence, I would be more curious than judgmental. I would need to put my emotions aside for a while, and bite my own pride.

It can be said, however, that he inherently has a bias towards the protestant view. But clearing my own preconceptions about the Catholic system, I honestly couldn't find anything too unreasonable about his analysis.

I'm looking for reasoned responses but have received mostly emotionally driven responses so far.

Could you explain how the video was an 'arbitrary clickbait video'?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If someone created a video attacking my position as a non-denominational Christian using scripture for evidence, I would be more curious than judgmental. I would need to put my emotions aside for a while, and bite my own pride.

Its been done. Look up the Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy podcasts of Fr. Andrew S. Damick. He also gives my own Congregational tradition a bit of a thrashing, but to my relief the UCC and UUA get the worst of it.

Reactions: hluke
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes that's true. But the Jewish religious leaders also believed in God as their authority, obviously not the Messiah. The issue here is the additional religious aspects. For example, both Catholics and the Jewish leaders prioritising traditions over scripture.
You are starting with a false premise. The Catholic Church puts out a Catechism, available online from the Vatican. As to the equality of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, the Catechism says "82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Roman Catholicism never allowed the ploughman to read/understand/digest God's word, they kept it hidden for a select few. Made the common man/woman repeat a few hail Mary's/, confess their sins to man, sprinkle some 'holy' water or perfumed smoke on them and tell them "Go in peace"

Sure i could do that and it wouldn't edify your heart, soul and mind. I'd make you feel good, but it wouldn't bring you any closer to Christ.

Why expository preaching?
The Catholic Church not only chose the 73 books of the Bible and gave the Bible to the world in the late 300s. It is the Catholic Church that preached the Gospel and preserved, and translated into many common the languages the Word of God over all of these centuries, painstakingly copying Biblical text by hand until a Catholic named Gutenberg printed his first book, the Catholic Bible.

Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are starting with a false premise. The Catholic Church puts out a Catechism, available online from the Vatican. As to the equality of Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture, the Catechism says "82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."
Yes but the problem here is that I don't appeal to worldly authority

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes but the problem here is that I don't appeal to worldly authority
Catholic Catechism: 876 Intrinsically linked to the sacramental nature of ecclesial ministry is its character as service. Entirely dependent on Christ who gives mission and authority, ministers are truly "slaves of Christ,"392 in the image of him who freely took "the form of a slave" for us.393 Because the word and grace of which they are ministers are not their own, but are given to them by Christ for the sake of others, they must freely become the slaves of all.394

Upvote 0

hluke

Jul 28, 2020
Melbourne
✟22,274.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Catholic Catechism: 876 Intrinsically linked to the sacramental nature of ecclesial ministry is its character as service. Entirely dependent on Christ who gives mission and authority, ministers are truly "slaves of Christ,"392 in the image of him who freely took "the form of a slave" for us.393 Because the word and grace of which they are ministers are not their own, but are given to them by Christ for the sake of others, they must freely become the slaves of all.394
Jesus says, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father except through me.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the Father except through me.
Absolutely. But God often works through men, sinners as we are. You know of that quotation only because it was passed down over the centuries through men, such as the Apostles and popes.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Absolutely. But God often works through men, sinners as we are. You know of that quotation only because it was passed down over the centuries through men, such as the Apostles and popes.

The problem, of course, is that your denomination strictly limits the work of God to itself and, specifically, its religious bureaucracy, and, most specifically, to the Pope himself. It only recognizes the work of God in other denominations insofar as there are areas of close identity (e.g. baptism).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem, of course, is that your denomination strictly limits the work of God to itself and, specifically, its religious bureaucracy
this statement display a total lack of understanding what the Church believes and/or teaches.
It only recognizes the work of God in other denominations insofar as there are areas of close identity (e.g. baptism).
see above answer

I'll leave go the fact that the 2 statements contradict each other. :sorry:

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,322.00
Faith
Non-Denom
this statement display a total lack of understanding what the Church believes and/or teaches.
see above answer

I'll leave go the fact that the 2 statements contradict each other. :sorry:

Please tell me who was the last saint your denomination recognized who was not considered to be a member of your denomination. Thank you.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
First, I'll take it that you see the errors in post #70.

Please tell me who was the last saint your denomination recognized who was not considered to be a member of your denomination.
On November 1st, the Church celebrates All Saints day. We honor all the saints in Heaven.
Thank you.
you are welcome.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem, of course, is that your denomination strictly limits the work of God to itself and, specifically, its religious bureaucracy, and, most specifically, to the Pope himself. It only recognizes the work of God in other denominations insofar as there are areas of close identity (e.g. baptism).
Rather than seeking God through a "religious bureaucracy," it is Catholic teaching to establish a personal relationship with Our Lord.
Catholic Catechism: 2558 "Great is the mystery of the faith!" The Church professes this mystery in the Apostles' Creed (Part One) and celebrates it in the sacramental liturgy (Part Two), so that the life of the faithful may be conformed to Christ in the Holy Spirit to the glory of God the Father (Part Three). This mystery, then, requires that the faithful believe in it, that they celebrate it, and that they live from it in a vital and personal relationship with the living and true God. This relationship is prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Where are you getting this stuff from? You don't need a priest to be baptized. You don't need a priest to get married. The Catholic Church puts out a Catholic Catechism, which is available online, free of charge, at the Vatican website. I strongly suggest reading the Catechism before telling people what Catholics supposedly believe.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,985.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Without the intercessory work of an ordained Catholic priest one cannot receive any of the sacraments of the Catholic church and, as a result, one cannot have a personal relationship with God.
another incorrect statement. That is 3 now.

Upvote 0