✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Progressives Declare War on Asians, Meritocracy and STEM - Asian Dawn

Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works - The San Francisco Examiner.

Never will I imagine that a day would come when working hard and sacrificing for a dream - daring to be the best of the best is now consider racially offensive in America. More surprisingly being targeted at one of the smallest minorities in America.

One African-American parent stated it’s because of Asians hogging up all the spaces “Black people can’t catch up technologically because the ‘stupid Asians’ are keeping black people down out of fear they’d be overtaken.”

When one angry Asian-American parent responded “Trust me, you’ll never catch up. If you need to lower-standards to get in, you’ll never beat us,” a near physical fight broke loose.

Another Asian parent screamed, “First you blame white people, now you blame us!? Grow up! Study harder or go home!”

As an ethnic Chinese I have in my whole life sacrifice momentary pleasure to have long term gains. I put in hours of my life to one day have a CHANCE not a CERTAINTY to get what I wanted. When I failed I NEVER look to another and blame them for my shortcomings. I have never say to anyone that your race, religion, family background, or gender is keeping me down.

I don't even live in America and this boils my blood. American progressivism is not what its name implies. From the fruit you will know the tree.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Lowell’s selective admissions process put on hold this year — and more changes may be in the works - The San Francisco Examiner.

Never will I imagine that a day would come when working hard and sacrificing for a dream - daring to be the best of the best is now consider racially offensive in America. More surprisingly being targeted at one of the smallest minorities in America.

As an ethnic Chinese I have in my whole life sacrifice momentary pleasure to have long term gains. I put in hours of my life to one day have a CHANCE not a CERTAINTY to get what I wanted. When I failed I NEVER look to another and blame them for my shortcomings. I have never say to anyone that your race, religion, family background, or gender is keeping me down.

I don't even live in America and this boils my blood. American progressivism is not what its name implies. From the fruit you will know the tree.

People are always looking to blame someone else for their failures. Anything to keep from looking in the mirror. Ignore them and strengthen your faith in God not man.

It's easy for me as a white man. I'm already used to being blamed for everything. I just smile and go on about my business.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Asians were once considered minorities in America. The shift began in the nineties (if I recall) to stem the tide in elite institutions. Removing the status allowed them to be more discriminating and accept fewer students.

From my recollection, the biggest complaint was the absence of well-roundedness in the applicants and on campus. The emphasis on study at the exclusion of other activities wasn’t an ideal they wanted to promote.

You find a similar attitude levied against activity stuffing too. It is culturally more desirable to pursue practices that are authentically appealing, rather than stuff your CV with interests which might secure a spot in a prestigious school.

Many people do it. But admission officials are more likely to assume so with Asian applicants. Some ideologies, like the tiger mom and super student, have fed the ideal to their detriment.

Yours in His Service

~bella

• Friendly
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
People are always looking to blame someone else for their failures. Anything to keep from looking in the mirror. Ignore them and strengthen your faith in God not man.

Failure is a better teacher than success. I learned it the hard way and learned it many times. I believe an individual who only looks for others to blame will never understand how success is gained. But you're right strive for the Lord is the ultimate goal.

It's easy for me as a white man. I'm already used to being blamed for everything.

Not from me not now not ever. You don't carry the sins of your forefathers like I don't carry the sins of my forefathers. In as much as those who come after me should not carry my sins.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
People are always looking to blame someone else for their failures. Anything to keep from looking in the mirror.

Precisely.

So long as everyone's given the equal opportunity to succeed then it's up to the individual to make the most of it.

Equal opportunities, not equal outcomes.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

. Welcome to the club , Black people have dealt with this discrimination based on “ race” since this country started ! I agree this is unfair. Unfortunately it’s also unfair to falsely categorize an entire group as stupid when most likely they’ve been undereducated. It’s hard to deal with that in an elite school and some schools have recognized this. That’s why most colleges have remedial classes.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
... the biggest complaint was the absence of well-roundedness in the applicants and on campus. The emphasis on study at the exclusion of other activities wasn’t an ideal they wanted to promote ...
How is "well-roundedness" defined, how is it measured, and how is it relevant to admittance to an alleged institution of study?

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Many people do it. But admission officials are more likely to assume so with Asian applicants. Some ideologies, like the tiger mom and super student, have fed the ideal to their detriment.

I do agree that this stereotype is quite prevalent in the older generation especially first generation immigrant. Where the parents are strict to the point of uncaring spawning super book smart student who excels only in academics. That is because the first generation immigrant came to a new country with little but a hope for a better future. It's a swim or sink situation. Not that I'm condoning such level of parental pressure.

But 2nd and 3rd generation of East Asians are very seldom like that. But that doesn't mean we don't cherish working hard and sacrificing for the future.

We really didn't really make an effort to dispel that image unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is "well-roundedness" defined, how is it measured, and how is it relevant to admittance to an alleged institution of study?

I can't answer that but I mentioned the criteria in my response. The issue is cultural. They didn't want a campus of students whose only interest was school. They wanted applicants who'd excel in their studies while maintaining a social life or involvement in activities. It was a backlash against the model 'Asian model' of excellence.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But 2nd and 3rd generation of East Asians are very seldom like that. But that doesn't mean we don't cherish working hard and sacrificing for the future.

We really didn't really make an effort to dispel that image unfortunately.

I dated an Asian guy. He was very driven and successful. But his father wanted him to pursue a more lucrative path. He put incredible pressure on himself and took on too much. He liked to make things hard on himself. Or do it the hard way. That was his shtick.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

• Haha
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
. Welcome to the club , Black people have dealt with this discrimination based on “ race” since this country started ! I agree this is unfair. Unfortunately it’s also unfair to falsely categorize an entire group as stupid when most likely they’ve been undereducated. It’s hard to deal with that in an elite school and some schools have recognized this. That’s why most colleges have remedial classes.

I'm sorry for what your forefathers have gone through. My forefathers have gone through the same from the Mongols, Jurchens, Europeans, Japanese and even from fellow Chinese (Communist & Nationalist).

Having said that I can't agree with your sentiment. The past is the past. You and every American have been given the same opportunity to succeed after racial segregation have been abolished. Don't blame the elite school standard. I use to have classmates who came from more disadvantaged household than me and have consistently outperformed me. Got into universities of their choosing. But it was fair. They were the better students. I don't blame the universities for not accepting me because I don't make the standard. Neither do I petition the universities to lower their standards to allow me in.

I'm sorry.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I dated an Asian guy. He was very driven and successful. But his father wanted him to pursue a more lucrative path. He put incredible pressure on himself and took on too much. He liked to make things hard on himself. Or do it the hard way. That was his shtick.

Secretly every East Asian parent have this dream of their children pursuing more lucrative professions or ventures. But the newer generations just don't pressure their kids like the old days anymore. At least I hope not in America.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Who said they lowered their standards ? Most universities set aside spaces for students who were previously discriminated against , Women for example

Why must there be spaces being reserved for people who only fit a certain physical criteria? Just because someone from that group has been discriminated before doesn't mean that they get special treatment. Only means that they now get the same opportunities as everyone else not less not more.

We don't correct the past by overcompensating the present. Then having counter compensating in the future because of the present. This concept that we are owed a debt from the suffering of our past generation is highly flawed and unjust. No man/woman should be made to pay for the sins of their forefathers.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Secretly every East Asian parent have this dream of their children pursuing more lucrative professions or ventures. But the newer generations just don't pressure their kids like the old days anymore. At least I hope not in America.

His father did. He told him he wasn't working a real job. He's worked at 3 Ivies! I think he wants him on wall street or in consulting. Self-employment is an option but he's dragging his feet. There's a dichotomy between the parental ideal and his passion. He needs to find a middle ground.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The notion that Asian people in the US aren't discriminated against is hard to fathom. Chinese and Japanese Americans had to work very hard to get anywhere in America because there was so much prejudice against them.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
FTA: Lowell usually selects students based on a combination of grade point averages and standardized test scores, both of which were made unavailable by the pandemic.

This diversity drive has been in the works for sometime. The pandemic is just the catalyst for them to push for it.

Critics say 44 years of selective admissions has created a lack of diversity at Lowell High School, which is often attended by students from well-resourced middle schools. More than half of its students in the 2018-2019 school year were Asian, 17 percent were white, 12 percent were Hispanic, and less than 2 percent were Black.

That’s compared to SFUSD’s demographic makeup that year of 35 percent Asian, 27 percent Latino, 15 percent white, and 7 percent Black students.

SFUSD has previously attempted to bring more diversity to Lowell, most recently in 2018.

And Asians are deemed "toxic" and "racist" for defending merit-based admissions. The American progressive or more commonly called "woke" concept of people of colour is as malleable and changeable as the soup of the day. Once Asians were minority POC now we are not because we have achieved success. Looked upon unsavory instead of being celebrated as a success proving that the system works for even minorities. All everyone needs is hard work and drive.

However the temporary change prompted by coronavirus may end up prompting a broader conversation about merit-based admissions, its effect on students of color, and Lowell’s school culture, which some speakers described as “toxic.”

“I don’t understand what merit has to do with racism,” said Andrew Tang, a SFUSD grad. “Merit is all about individual abilities.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,472.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
For those in America who thinks that past injustice can be solved by equity instead equality. Let me quote from one of the richest Malaysian businessman Robert Kuok aka Sugar King of Asia.

You're going to be the leader of a nation, and you have three sons, Hussein. The first-born is Malay, the second-born is Chinese, the third-born is Indian. What we have been witnessing is that the first-born is more favoured than the second or third. Hussein, if you do that in a family, your eldest son will grow up very spoiled. As soon as he attains manhood, he will be in the nightclubs every night because Papa is doting on him. The second and third sons, feeling the discrimination, will grow up hard as nails. Year by year they will become harder and harder, like steel, so that in the end they are going to succeed even more and the eldest will fail even more.

Context Hussein is the Malaysian Prime Minister of the time. The Malaysian Chinese and Indians are considered better off in life because of the previous British colonial administrators. The Malays were the downtrodden majority. Now independent Malaysia have to charter their own destiny. The government under Hussein made it national policy to correct what they though was an imbalance in wealth. They overcompensated in favour of the Malays. Other races saw that and felt unfairly left out. Robert came to the PM and told him this.

Having handouts will only make you dependent on it. You will never learn to stand on your own feet. This applies to anyone and everyone. You will never be more than the equity given, for you will never learn to create the equity merely expect it.

Upvote 0