MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I’ve been looking at the story of Samson, and I want your opinion on something.

So, Samson was destined for a great life, devoted to God, as a Nazerite. Never to cut his hair, never to touch a dead animal, etc. However, Samson broke every requirement. He was supposed to deliver the Israelites from the hands of the Philistines, but he ended up sleeping with one of them, and partying with the others. That’s not the end of the story, though. Samson, at the end of his life, was martyred to defeat the Philistines, at the cost of his own life. Samson prayed to God to give him his great strength one more time, and God answered his prayer. Samson lived a life far from what the people expected, and far from God. Regardless, he was able to defeat the Philistines, by the power of God. But in his victory, was also his own death. Before the victory, came torture, slave labor, having his eyes gouged out, his hair cut, and the loss of the strength he has cherished since his childhood. Samson, no doubt, was going through the worst experience of his life, and worse than some of us will ever experience. But as soon as God heard his prayer, God returned to him his strength, and finished the job. God seemed far away from Samson in his desperate time of need. As Samson was being tortured, God’s fingerprints are nowhere to be found.

So, here’s my two interpretations of what’s going on behind the scenes:

Either…

God caused Samson to have a horrible life, so that he would be in the right place at the right time, to show off the power of God, and destroy the Philistines for the good of Israel.

Or…

God wanted Samson to live a life dedicated to him, do wonderful things, to defeat the Philistines, rule as judge, and then some, but Samson had a different idea. Samson, after losing everything he had, desperately cried out to God, the only friend he had left. Because of the prayer, God turned a horrible moment into Samson’s martyrdom, and end of Philistine oppression.

I don’t mean to imply that these are the only two possible interpretations, but what do you think? What do you guys think is the more accurate one? Anything I’m missing? Discuss.

P.S. It’s been awhile since I read the story last, so if there’s something I got wrong, or something I left, let me know. I was reciting the story from memory.

• Optimistic
Reactions: brinny

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I’ve been looking at the story of Samson, and I want your opinion on something.

So, Samson was destined for a great life, devoted to God, as a Nazerite. Never to cut his hair, never to touch a dead animal, etc. However, Samson broke every requirement. He was supposed to deliver the Israelites from the hands of the Philistines, but he ended up sleeping with one of them, and partying with the others. That’s not the end of the story, though. Samson, at the end of his life, was martyred to defeat the Philistines, at the cost of his own life. Samson prayed to God to give him his great strength one more time, and God answered his prayer. Samson lived a life far from what the people expected, and far from God. Regardless, he was able to defeat the Philistines, by the power of God. But in his victory, was also his own death. Before the victory, came torture, slave labor, having his eyes gouged out, his hair cut, and the loss of the strength he has cherished since his childhood. Samson, no doubt, was going through the worst experience of his life, and worse than some of us will ever experience. But as soon as God heard his prayer, God returned to him his strength, and finished the job. God seemed far away from Samson in his desperate time of need. As Samson was being tortured, God’s fingerprints are nowhere to be found.

So, here’s my two interpretations of what’s going on behind the scenes:

Either…

God caused Samson to have a horrible life, so that he would be in the right place at the right time, to show off the power of God, and destroy the Philistines for the good of Israel.

Or…

God wanted Samson to live a life dedicated to him, do wonderful things, to defeat the Philistines, rule as judge, and then some, but Samson had a different idea. Samson, after losing everything he had, desperately cried out to God, the only friend he had left. Because of the prayer, God turned a horrible moment into Samson’s martyrdom, and end of Philistine oppression.

I don’t mean to imply that these are the only two possible interpretations, but what do you think? What do you guys think is the more accurate one? Anything I’m missing? Discuss.

P.S. It’s been awhile since I read the story last, so if there’s something I got wrong, or something I left, let me know. I was reciting the story from memory.

You might want to read Judges 13-16 again.

Coincidentally I was just studying Judges 16 today regarding his death.

Just curious....what prompted you to think of Samson right now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You might want to read Judges 13-16 again.

Coincidentally I was just studying Judges 16 today regarding his death.

Just curious....what prompted you to think of Samson right now?
Right now? Well I had some time to kill between my classes, and this was something that was on my mind. But a week ago, or so, I wrote down this question in my phone, so that I could do research about it later. I forget what prompted me to write it down, but I think it had to do with some reading I was doing, but I can't put my finger on it. Sorry. I write a lot of stuff in my phone.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Right now? Well I had some time to kill between my classes, and this was something that was on my mind. But a week ago, or so, I wrote down this question in my phone, so that I could do research about it later. I forget what prompted me to write it down, but I think it had to do with some reading I was doing, but I can't put my finger on it. Sorry. I write a lot of stuff in my phone.

No biggie.....i was just wondering...

you might want to read Judges 13-16.....

it's riveting.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
His death was for vengeance for his eyes being put out.
For the OP I think the 2nd option is closer to the truth.
Samson was a servant to his own lusts, he could have done many more things to bring honor to God.
But God in His grace used Samson's sins to further His cause.
14:4
But his father and his mother knew not that it was of the LORD, that he sought an occasion against the Philistines: for at that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel.

Upvote 0

Matisyahu8898

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
MO
✟34,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
...the question, of course, is IF Samson was a martyr.

Happy reading. :)
I had exactly the same thought. His death seems to have been a suicide and not a martyrdom.
I read through Samson's story this evening, and I still feel the way I do, but it was good reading it again. There were some details I got wrong. But his death does seem to me like a suicide, but martyrdoms and suicides often overlap. Was there anything in mind when you said, "IF Samson was a martyr."?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I read through Samson's story this evening, and I still feel the way I do, but it was good reading it again. There were some details I got wrong. But his death does seem to me like a suicide, but martyrdoms and suicides often overlap. Was there anything in mind when you said, "IF Samson was a martyr."?

I'd like you to give some thought as to why i would ask that question.

And in the meantime, please share why you consider Samson to be a "martyr".

i'll be back later. For now i need to write about the snow.

Happy thinking. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would not view Samson as a martyr either. He was under a "Nazarite vow" from his birth and I believe God used his capture to bring Him back to obedience in the end. I see his death as a sacrifice rather than suicide because in taking down 3000 Philistines with his dying.

Upvote 0