Samson (2018) Movie Review

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Samson (2018) Movie Review.

Summary:

The Samson (2018) film is not a perfect movie. I was expecting more from it. But it is still very entertaining. You will not be bored. But do not expect an amazing epic film or anything. It is more like a TV movie with some scenes looking good and other scenes looking like they shot on a low budget.

Please take note that the following words contain spoilers.
So if you do not want to ruin the movie for yourself, do not read any further.

What did I like?

#1. I liked the following actors performances.
(a) Taylor James (Samson).
(b) Rutger Hauer (Manoah or Samson's father)
(c) Lindsay Wagner (Samson's mother).

#2. The scene where Samson battles in a competition.

#3. The battle scene of him fighting the Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey.

#4. The scene where Samson's parents discourage Samson in marrying a Philistine woman.

#5. A teaser scene of David and Goliath at the end of the film.

What did I not like?

#1. Samson and his brother stealing from the Philistines in the beginning of the movie.

#2. Samson's brother did not look anything like him and he was white, too.

#3. While I was happy that they showed Samson encountering the foxes, they did not show the foxes burning the actual field. We only seen flames moving through the field from far away and it looked kind of fake.

#4. The lion scene was also poorly done and the special effects was not that great for such a scene. Samson also did not give the honey to his parents either.

#5. They cut out the scenes of Samson teasing Delilah on the source of his strength.

#6. Samson's major ending scene was the most disappointing. The first problem was that the temple area (Where Samson was in-between the two pillars) was small and it was not filled with that many people. The Scriptures say, "Philistines were there; and there were upon the roof about three thousand men and women, that beheld while Samson made sport." (Judges 16:27). The second problem is that Samson's performance and words were flat and emotionless. This is the key scene in the entire movie and it fell flat and was static. It was a scene that was rushed, as well.

Conclusion:

Should you see it? Yes, but do not rush out to see it. It has a few cool scenes and moments but there is also some scenes that are disappointing, as well.

Grade:

C+

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Babe Ruth

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like they maybe could have made a much better movie by devoting some attention to the temple scene.

Yeah, it is worth catching in the theater for certain scenes, but they fumbled the ball on other scenes big time (Especially the ending temple scene).

• Friendly
Reactions: Caterpillar5
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I also did not like how the Philistine king did not believe in his false god or gods and how his son was seeking after Samson’s power. It just did not seem likely that they would think this way.

I also did not like how the king’s son always met with his father in the king’s private chambers instead of in a throne room with guards.

However, if someone asked me to see this movie again with them in the theater, I would say, “yes” because it was entertaining and certain scenes were really cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0