Gold Coast
✟51,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone me again, so I wanted to ask a question. How should we as Christians live? Paul says that we are not bound by the law anymore. does mean all of it or only specific parts of it? Ive heard people say that keeping the law is walking in the flesh when we want to walk in the spirit. There are so many varying opinion's that its confusing me a bit. Can anyone shed some light? Backed up by scripture not taken out of context?

Thank you all for your time :)

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello jh24. We walk in the Holy Spirit thereby fulfilling the Law of Christ and not the legalism of man (Romans 8:4 Galatians 5:18). We're also set free from archaic rules of don't touch, see, etc. because we now only desire that which is holy. Peace in Christ.

Upvote 0

ajcarey

Jun 3, 2019
Midwest
✟46,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Walking in the Spirit causes one to fulfill the law of God, as Romans 8:4 proves. 1 John 3:4 says that sin is the transgression of the law- and we sure do not have a right to continue in sin that grace may abound. God forbid! (see Romans 6). We're not under the law in the sense that we are not under the ceremonies of the Law of Moses (and only because these were shadows of Christ who has now come as the ultimate substance of these things). A faithful believer who is abiding in Jesus and being saved from their sins (i.e. transgressions of the law) is also not under the law in the sense that the law no longer condemns them because they are rightly related to Christ. Since they are under His Lordship (i.e. righteous government) they are submitted to His Law; and since He is their redeemer and High priest God no longer counts their previous transgressions against them through His blood atonement- hence they are reconciled to God and His Law.

Every passage in the New Testament about not being under the law is dealing with these things. Jesus upheld and vindicated the morality in the law of Moses and the Old Testament as a whole (Matthew 5:17-20, Matthew 7:12, etc). The Law of Christ is the moral law of God plus whatever ceremonial ordinances God has ordained for New Covenant Christians (like baptism and the Lord's Supper). To seek the real Jesus means to do seek to do right in God's eyes; and that means coming in agreement with and striving to be faithful to God's Law. Jesus said that workers of lawlessness will be shut out of His kingdom (Matthew 7:21-27, Luke 13:23-27, etc).

Revelation 22:13-15 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."

Romans 3:31 "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law."

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone me again, so I wanted to ask a question. How should we as Christians live? Paul says that we are not bound by the law anymore. does mean all of it or only specific parts of it? Ive heard people say that keeping the law is walking in the flesh when we want to walk in the spirit. There are so many varying opinion's that its confusing me a bit. Can anyone shed some light? Backed up by scripture not taken out of context?

Thank you all for your time :)
Exactly where are you referring to in terms of Paul saying we are not bound by the law? It would be helpful to know which scripture(s) you refer to in order to gain some context of what you're asking.

• Agree
Reactions: Tzav
Upvote 0

Jh24

A brother in Christ
Mar 8, 2019
Gold Coast
✟51,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly where are you referring to in terms of Paul saying we are not bound by the law? It would be helpful to know which scripture(s) you refer to in order to gain some context of what you're asking.
Roman's 7 is what I mean. So we should keep the 10 commandments? I thought no man except Jesus was perfectly able to keep them, though I do try

• Agree
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Roman's 7 is what I mean. So we should keep the 10 commandments? I thought no man except Jesus was perfectly able to keep them, though I do try
The 10 Commandments are still applicable. They are a moral code which all should still abide by. After all, I don't think you believe you should covet, lie, commit adultery, murder. We still sin as no one is without sin but we repent of sin and still strive to live an obedient lifestyle as Christians.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So even if you commit the same sin? You confess it every time, and try again?
Yes but with an very important distinction. There is a big difference between occasional sin and habitual sin. The former is forgiveable while the latter may not be forgiveable. I suggest you read through the book of 1st John as it deals with this subject.
1. We all sin as no one is without sin. 1 Jn 1:8-10
8If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.
2. Notice what 1 Jn 1:7 states:
7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
This verse states that Jesus' blood purifies us from all sin. People like to quote this verse rightly emphasizing God's forgiveness but most don't notice that it contains the word "if" which indicates that a condition must be met. The condition is "walking in the light." In other words, we try to live an obedient lifestyle (not perfect as we still sin) and when we do, our lifestyle can be characterized as walking in the light. IF we walk in the light, when we occasionally sin, we repent of that sin and this verse states that the blood of Jesus cleanses us of our sin.
3. The opposite of walking in the light is walking in darkness which 1 Jn 1:6 refers to:
6If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
No assurance of forgiveness is given to the Christian who walks in darkness as he does not even have fellowship with God. To walk in darkness is to live in habitual sin. Chronic, habitual sin is the evidence that one has not repented of the sin and instead keeps doing it. 1 Jn 3:7-8 states:
7Little children, let no one lead you astray; the one practicing righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.8The one practicing sin is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning.

This does not mean that when you commit the same sin again you lose your salvation. God knows your heart. But if someone sins over and over again, hardens his heart and refuses to repent, then no assurance of salvation is to be had. 1st John has several verses which speak to how we can have the assurance that we are saved so I suggest you read/study through the book.

Upvote 0

Jh24

A brother in Christ
Mar 8, 2019
Gold Coast
✟51,233.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you see I have an issue with masturbation and inappropriate content, I try every time to stop, but I fail over and over and I feel so sick to my stomach when I do. I hate it and want to be free of it. What do I do when circumstances in my life restrain me. What do I do? I feel so bad and don't want to abuse the power of the cross. My heart hurts because I know Ive been unfaithful to Christ. What do I do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you see I have an issue with masturbation and inappropriate content, I try every time to stop, but I fail over and over and I feel so sick to my stomach when I do. I hate it and want to be free of it. What do I do when circumstances in my life restrain me. What do I do? I feel so bad and don't want to abuse the power of the cross. My heart hurts because I know Ive been unfaithful to Christ. What do I do?
The fact that you are remorseful demonstrates that you have not hardened your heart. At least you have correctly assessed your spiritual condition. I have not looked into this one but this may be a potential resource for you. Ted Roberts used to be my pastor many years ago. Hope it helps.
https://conquerseries.com/

Upvote 0