Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Conversion is the foundational experience of Christian life.
Paul certainly converted on the road to Damascus...
Yet the Disciples were LOOKING to find Christ...

Paul describes the stages as fore-ordination by Christ,
Followed by the Call of Christ (to the Faith of Christ)
Followed by by Justification by Christ
Followed by Glorification by Christ...

In the Historic Church, these have all been understood as discrete events following sequentially from the first to the last in the life of a believer...

So where, in Paul's progressive schema, does the "conversion experience" fit in?
We regard Paul's conversion on the Road to Damascus as God's Call to him...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
This Faith of Christ is fundamentally a Mystery held in purity of heart...

That is why "Repent" is the first word of the Gospel of Jesus Christ...

Without repentance, there cam be no purity of heart...

And it is why only the Blessed Virgin COULD conceive Christ God in Her Own Flesh...

The greatest Mystery, perhaps, is that of the Marriage of the Lamb...

Eph 5:31-2
For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother,
and shall be joined unto his wife,
and they two shall be one flesh.

This is a great mystery:
But I am speaking concerning Christ and the Church.

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because you are a sensitive person who feels much misunderstood... :)

I totally missed this post. Its odd, isn't it Arsenios. That people who 'TALK' about love. Can be so abrasive with others...:preach:
God's love DEMANDS PERFECT HOLINESS FROM US!!! ?????

IF you do not GIVE ME PERFECT HOLINESS, I will punish you and condemn you in MY WRATH....

Kinda sounds like "Love me or I will beat you to death!"

Wow! So God is 'ONLY' love and nothing else. You twisted what I said. I said just because God is love, doesn't mean He is not Holy too! God is 'HOLY'. Blood was shed for sin, correct? Why? Why did Christ have too shed blood? Why did not God just annul everything and let bygones be bygones? Why the flood, Canaan, Sodom & Gomorrah? Can you explain these events?
Because Adam ate of the Tree of Knowledge of Good AND evil...

Our job is to repent from the evil and to embrace the Good...

Why is it our to repent?
Doing God's will is the whole of the Law...
But Paul's say no flesh will be justified through the Law. The Law does not give life to sinners; only death.

By turning away from evils and embracing what is Good...
Why if there is no reason too! I will not be punished to reprimanded. So why not continue to sin?

It is not rocket science...
Doing God's will is the whole Law, is what you said. Which I agree 100%. But this Holy Law is a curse for the wicked. We cannot do it.

3For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh,

Mat 16:24 "If anyone is willing after me to come, let him first deny himself, then take up his own cross, and follow Me.

In order to DO God's will, we have to kill our own self-will, and we have to do so willingly...
We have to drive a wedge between self and self...

We have to be made alive first by God. To live to God. Christ came to do His Father's will for us. This is pure Love.

John 4:34Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.

Here Christ himself says why He is here and He is doing! What is it that he is doing? Romans 8:3...
God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh,....

So who is killing sin?

It started with John the Baptist preaching repentance and baptism...
Denial of self-will...
Doing of God's will...
No! it started with God's Promise to Adam & Eve.
Adam died the day he ate of the poison-Fruit...
One is Holy...
One is Lord...
Jesus Christ...
I do not understand what you are saying here.
God does not demand that you and I be perfect-holy... He asks us to live repentent lives in the Body of Christ Who IS perfectly Holy...

You mean repentant lives. We do not disagree that believers have to repent. We do have to be Perfect as the Law requires. This Law is good and Holy. This is the will of the Father to perfectly obey His Law, without breaking a single one. But I know you will not agree, so I will quote Scripture.

48You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Their condemnation is that they are born into Adam's death, and upon this birth into death all have sinned... The Promise is Life Eternal, wherein we overcome our sin(s) by repentance and attain Life in Christ...

No mention of Christ, and what He did for us. Romans 8:3For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

You said you guys do not believe in Justification, God's Wrath, Condemnation, Law for being Perfectly Holy and so forth. How do you explain these passages. I am not trying to be condescending, just curious.

The Righteous Shall Live by Faith

10For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” 11Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.” 12But the law is not of faith, rather “The one who does them shall live by them.” 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”— 14so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith.

Please address these passages so that I can understand your thinking.

Only the Jews are under the Law...
I beg to differ everyone is under the CURSE of the Law!

Death is the condemnation...
1 Cor. 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 5

He did not kill sin in the flesh... He simply did not sin...
It is by His Holy Resurrection that he trampled down Death by His Own Death...
We who are not yet perfected in the faith still sin in the flesh...

I beg to differ Christ did kill sin in the flesh. Romans 8:3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh... (King James)

You said death is condemnation.
Try the KJV translation:

2Co 5:21
For He hath made Him to be sin for us, Who knew no sin;
that we might be made the righteousness of God IN Him.

This simply means that He, without sin, voluntarily took upon himself ALL human sin that we who are Baptized INTO Him, which means are baptized into His Death on the Cross, should have ALL our sins forgiven as we enter into the Mystery of that Death to this life, and receive the Life of Christ...

You did not understand me. Christ killed sin in His flesh for us. I never said that Christ personally sinned. Christ s the Pascal Lamb; the Last blood offering for our sins, that is imputed to him. That's all I was saying.
Then why do you insist that God's Love DEMANDS perfect holiness from us which we do not have???

I hope you are reading and taking the time to understand what I am saying here. God is HOLY, HOLY, HOLY. And God hates sin. Because He is Holy, He requires us to be Holy, as He is Holy. God created us Holy and righteous, fully capable of fulfilling His Law. So just because Adam sinned and caused all to fall with him into sin, death and condemnation. Doesn't change God's requirements of being Holy. Now God Loves us that He sent His own Son to die for the ungodly; that Arsenios is Love!
We can access self denial and obedience to others more readily that GOD's LAW...

However, The Law of God is a thick Orthodox book's title...

Huh??? You are way off, I'm sorry.

Holiness is God's...
Holiness is God's...what?
We try to up-play repentance from sin and reliance on God's Great Mercy...
I will ask it a different way. Why do people need to repent?

Of course it is in Scripture - It is a warning to the sons of disobedience... But this language is by way of condescension to our fallen condition, where fear of eternal punishment might avail repentance... Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, remember? But also remember this corollary: Fear of God is not the perfecting of wisdom...

So is there any punishment at all for the wicked?
I tried to take you there already - We are, in part, God's ontological reply to the defection of Satan and his minions... Our lives are intended to shame demons...

Where in Scripture can I find this?
You are calling the death of Adam something that God DID TO Adam - Adam wrongly ate and God KILLED him... In fact, God warned Adam that he would DIE the very DAY he ate that fruit... Adam disbelieved God, ate the fruit, and died that very day... This is the third time I have written this... We who are born in Adam are born in the death that he died that day...

No, no, no!!! Arsenios this is exactly what I mean by people caricature what the Reformed Faith teaches. Please provide a post of mine, where I say this. You obviously do not understand what I am saying. Because of your prejudices against the Western thought.
You do write that the Love of God DEMANDS PERFECT HOLINESS from us...

Love is patient,
and is kind;
Love does not envy;
Love does not boast,
is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemly,
seeketh not her own,
is not easily provoked,
thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity,
but rejoiceth in the truth;
Beareth all things,
believeth all things,

hopeth all things,
endureth all things.
Love never fails:

Demons, you see, DEMAND ALL THINGS!
Arrogant little things that they are...

Again way off base. I said that God is HOLY, HOLY, HOLY! And God hates sin. God punishes sin. But you want me to believe that everything is honky dory. That God is Love and do not worry about it, if you sin, because God is Love, and He will look the other way, because he loves you.

I love to sin, and God loves to forgive. This is the perfect relationship, right?

God is not a judgemental demander and punisher...

If we sin, He will, in this life, give us as we do...
If we forsake Him, we will find ourselves without Him...
If we seek Him, we will find Him...
Love unfreely given is the 'love' of a lesser god...

Arsenios

Doesn't Scripture say that God will judge the wicked for their sins?

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I totally missed this post. Its odd, isn't it Arsenios. That people who 'TALK' about love. Can be so abrasive with others...:preach:

Doing love is the whole of the Law...

You twisted what I said.

These are the words you typed:

"Because God is Love, does not mean He does not demand(s) Perfect Holiness from us. Because God is Holy, Holy, Holy. Over and over God punished the wicked for sin. "

To which I replied:

"God's love DEMANDS PERFECT HOLINESS FROM US!!!
?????"

I said just because God is love, doesn't mean He is not Holy too!

This is not what you said - You might want to re-write the post you wrote to say what you have now changed the word meanings to mean. You clearly said that: "Because God is love means that He DEMANDS perfect holiness from us..." You said this with double negatives... Maybe you meant differently... I would hope so... Your words mean that God is a demander and a punisher... And the probleem with this is that it makes God into a fallen person... Rather that the Divine Person that He IS... It makes God petty and demanding and spiteful... And this especially so, in your view, because He has Perfect Holiness... Maturity in the Faith of Christ is NOT perfect Holiness, and Perfect Holiness is not demanded of us by God.

When God instructs us to me "PERFECT" He means "mature in the Faith of Christ, wherein we are constantly living toward God in ALL things in sweeping denial of self in ALL things... This we CAN do, in the Apostolic Body of Christ, and IF we do so in longsuffering, we will gain adult maturity in the Faith of Christ...

No small matter, I might add...

God is 'HOLY'. Blood was shed for sin, correct? Why? Why did Christ have too shed blood? Why did not God just annul everything and let bygones be bygones? Why the flood, Canaan, Sodom & Gomorrah? Can you explain these events?

Bye-gone's ARE bye-gone's, but we are not yet repentant enough for God to remove our desires for unrepented sins... Those (Old Testament) events were worldly fore-shadowings of the present great spiritual wars of repentance within the arena of the human soul... And the deaths depicted therein, such as Pharoah and his army being drowned in the Red Sea are a type, a typos, of our own eternal death if we do not repent from sin in this very temporary life in which we find ourselves as fallen human beings...

The Resurrection will be for the saved AND the condemned, you know...

Why is it ours to repent?

Because God is never recorded in the Bible as repenting FOR us...

But Paul says no flesh will be justified through the Law.
The Law does not give life to sinners; only death.

That is a given - Yet the discipling of the nations is the discipleship of self denial [eg repentance], Love of God and neighbor, and calling on the Name of the Lord - This is how Christ gave His Faith to the Apostles... Baptism into the Body of Christ is whole-scale triple immersion - And so also is the LIVING of that discipleship in one's life in Christ to the end, so that we SHALL be saved...

We are back to ontological vs verbal - To LIVE a repentant life is the ONTOLOGICAL ASKING of God for His Salvation, which He gives freely... IF we only ask for it with our lips and words, and live unrepentant lives in our sins, then we are asking as hypocrites, and God will not give us our merely verbal, yet actually and ontologically contradicted, request...

Why if there is no reason too! I will not be punished to reprimanded. So why not continue to sin?

Because you will then find yourself living a fallen life of daily menial psychodramas, and after death you will find yourself living eternally in their wake... Eternal death while alive IS the eternal punishment... The punishments of this world are all very mild reprimands compared to eternity...

Doing God's will is the whole Law, is what you said. Which I agree 100%. But this Holy Law is a curse for the wicked. We cannot do it.

If we try, eg if we turn from self and do good unto others, God will open the Way for us...
If not, then not...
Each must choose...
Or not...
Not is a choice...

Enough for now!

You wrote a long post, you old wind-bag!

I am out of breath trying to keep up!

Are ya tryin' t'keel me??

I am old, you know...

Weak and infirm...

I almost need diapers...

And yet I am only 10% into the breathtaking length of your post...

But I will return when I have caught the wind that keeps breaking around me...

THEN will I dive back into the roiling sea of your Calvinic thought, I say!

:)

God bless ya, Bro'!

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Doing love is the whole of the Law...
Doing God's Law through Love.

These are the words you typed:

"Because God is Love, does not mean He does not demand(s) Perfect Holiness from us. Because God is Holy, Holy, Holy. Over and over God punished the wicked for sin. "

To which I replied:

"God's love DEMANDS PERFECT HOLINESS FROM US!!!
?????"
Yes, I wrote this. And clearly you did not get it. God is HOLINESS. Perfect HOLINESS. God is not just Love. He is Holy also. But you do not talk about that. That was my point here.
This is not what you said - You might want to re-write the post you wrote to say what you have now changed the word meanings to mean. You clearly said that: "Because God is love means that He DEMANDS perfect holiness from us..." You said this with double negatives... Maybe you meant differently... I would hope so... Your words mean that God is a demander and a punisher... And the probleem with this is that it makes God into a fallen person... Rather that the Divine Person that He IS... It makes God petty and demanding and spiteful... And this especially so, in your view, because He has Perfect Holiness... Maturity in the Faith of Christ is NOT perfect Holiness, and Perfect Holiness is not demanded of us by God.

When God instructs us to me "PERFECT" He means "mature in the Faith of Christ, wherein we are constantly living toward God in ALL things in sweeping denial of self in ALL things... This we CAN do, in the Apostolic Body of Christ, and IF we do so in longsuffering, we will gain adult maturity in the Faith of Christ...

No small matter, I might add...
You want to split hairs here. I said because God is Love, does not mean He doesn't demands Holiness. Because God IS HOLY TOO!
Bye-gone's ARE bye-gone's, but we are not yet repentant enough for God to remove our desires for unrepented sins... Those (Old Testament) events were worldly fore-shadowings of the present great spiritual wars of repentance within the arena of the human soul... And the deaths depicted therein, such as Pharoah and his army being drowned in the Red Sea are a type, a typos, of our own eternal death if we do not repent from sin in this very temporary life in which we find ourselves as fallen human beings...

The Resurrection will be for the saved AND the condemned, you know...
No, no, no Arsenios; they were not yet repentant enough for God??? But I thought God is Love, and that's enough! You make no mention of the Flood, Canaan or Sodom & Gomorrah. This did not even come close in answering the question. You said that God does not punish sin with His wrath.
That is a given - Yet the discipling of the nations is the discipleship of self denial [eg repentance], Love of God and neighbor, and calling on the Name of the Lord - This is how Christ gave His Faith to the Apostles... Baptism into the Body of Christ is whole-scale triple immersion - And so also is the LIVING of that discipleship in one's life in Christ to the end, so that we SHALL be saved...

We are back to ontological vs verbal - To LIVE a repentant life is the ONTOLOGICAL ASKING of God for His Salvation, which He gives freely... IF we only ask for it with our lips and words, and live unrepentant lives in our sins, then we are asking as hypocrites, and God will not give us our merely verbal, yet actually and ontologically contradicted, request...

"We are back to ontological vs verbal - To LIVE a repentant life is the ONTOLOGICAL ASKING of God for His Salvation, which He gives freely..." OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!! Finally I get it. This is a Synergistic approach to Salvation. I agree with you that believers need to repent. We believe in what Paul says in Romans 6. Shall we continue to sin, so that Grace may abound. God forbid. But we do this because, God has done for us in sending His Son to save His people from their sins. This is the Gospel for the ungodly. Once we are saved in Christ; we became new a creation to live to God.

We cannot repent until we are freed from the bondage of the Law. This is the major difference between us. We believe that Christ the Son of God, came in the flesh; born under the Law. To fulfill the Law, and to condemn sin in the flesh for us! This is God demonstrating His Love for us in Christ!

And now that we are made alive by God in Christ, we can live repentant lives as Believers who are saved, right now in Christ through Faith!

Because you will then find yourself living a fallen life of daily menial psychodramas, and after death you will find yourself living eternally in their wake... Eternal death while alive IS the eternal punishment... The punishments of this world are all very mild reprimands compared to eternity...
Have no idea what this means, or where in Scripture this is taught!

If we try, eg if we turn from self and do good unto others, God will open the Way for us...
If not, then not...
Each must choose...
Or not...
Not is a choice...

Enough for now!

You wrote a long post, you old wind-bag!

I am out of breath trying to keep up!

Are ya tryin' t'keel me??

I am old, you know...

Weak and infirm...

I almost need diapers...

And yet I am only 10% into the breathtaking length of your post...

But I will return when I have caught the wind that keeps breaking around me...

THEN will I dive back into the roiling sea of your Calvinic thought, I say!

God bless ya, Bro'!

Arsenios

KoO! I find no assurance or hope in this hamster wheel of life. I find hope and assurance in Christ Alone!

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Doing God's Law through Love.

You legalists are a bag of trouble! :)
You have it exactly backwards!

The idea is to do love through, eg by means of, God's Law, and in our imperfect and even pathetic endeavors in this regard, God will make perfected what we cannot perfect ourselves - Which is most all of it... We make the endeavor to do Good and turn from evil, and God makes it right with us... Yes, synergy... I thought the very sound of the word - synergy - was ANATHEMA to the purity of Calvinic ears!

You have the means and the ends reversed, my Friend...
The Law is but one MEANS of becoming God-like...
And you must remember, God IS Love...
That is why the Law cannot Perfect the person...

But it CAN DISCIPLE that person...
The Jews needed but to believe in Christ in order to be perfected by God...
The Gentiles needed the discipling of the Faith of Christ for the same...
That is why Christ is recorded in Scripture, in the Great Commission, when He instructs His Apostles:
Go, DISCIPLE all the Nations...
TEACHING them all that I have commanded you...
To be carefully OBSERVING...
And BAPTIZING them...

(my literal, and rather wooden, translation)

Yes, I wrote this. You want to split hairs here. And clearly you did not get it.

I just took you at your word... God's written Word has great precision, and when we write of it, we should as well....

God is HOLINESS. Perfect HOLINESS. God is not just Love. He is Holy also. But you do not talk about that. That was my point here.

Your point was that GOD DEMANDS US TO BE PERFECTLY HOLY... That is what you said... If you didn't mean that, then OK, we can move on... But I think you agree with my CAPS...

I said because God is Love, does not mean He doesn't demands Holiness. Because God IS HOLY TOO!

God commands us to love - He does NOT DEMAND that we love... Nowhere does He DEMAND that we BE Holy... Show me chapter and verse for THAT!

No, no, no Arsenios; they were not yet repentant enough for God???

For God??? We do not repent for God's sake... We repent for OUR sake... And you may trust me when I tell you that God KNOWS when we are repentant enough for Him to extend His Grace to us...

But I thought God is Love, and that's enough! You make no mention of the Flood, Canaan or Sodom & Gomorrah. This did not even come close in answering the question. You said that God does not punish sin with His wrath.

Of course He does, yet that "punishment" is itself a great Mercy done out of His flagrant Love for mankind...

"We are back to ontological vs verbal - To LIVE a repentant life is the ONTOLOGICAL ASKING of God for His Salvation, which He gives freely..." OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!! Finally I get it. This is a Synergistic approach to Salvation. I agree with you that believers need to repent. We believe in what Paul says in Romans 6. Shall we continue to sin, so that Grace may abound. God forbid. But we do this because, God has done for us in sending His Son to save His people from their sins. This is the Gospel for the ungodly. Once we are saved in Christ; we became new a creation to live to God.

The Gospel IS the Gospel of repentance unto Grace...

We cannot repent until we are freed from the bondage of the Law. This is the major difference between us. We believe that Christ the Son of God, came in the flesh; born under the Law. To fulfill the Law, and to condemn sin in the flesh for us! This is God demonstrating His Love for us in Christ!

By fulfilling the Law of Moses Christ opened the Way to man's entry into the Kingdom of Heaven...

Christ IS the Kingdom of Heaven...

And now that we are made alive by God in Christ, we can live repentant lives as Believers who are saved, right now in Christ through Faith!

I love your faith, Bro, but I see a ton of unrepentant believers claiming faith...

KoO! I find no assurance or hope in this hamster wheel of life. I find hope and assurance in Christ Alone!

Turning to Christ in this fallen life is always an effort...
Turning away from evil in this fallen life is always an effort...

What you call the hamster's exercise wheel Paul calls "persevering to the end" that we SHALL be saved...

The Peace of Christ is Joy amidst afflictions...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You legalists are a bag of trouble! :)
You have it exactly backwards!

I took some time before I responded to your post. You call me "Legalist", which I find refreshing. Because I normally get called a "Antinomian". So you have it backwards in regards to the caricature itself. This is why do you not understand the Reformed Faith position. For the record we are not "Legalists". You are way off base.
The idea is to do love through, eg by means of, God's Law, and in our imperfect and even pathetic endeavors in this regard, God will make perfected what we cannot perfect ourselves - Which is most all of it... We make the endeavor to do Good and turn from evil, and God makes it right with us... Yes, synergy... I thought the very sound of the word - synergy - was ANATHEMA to the purity of Calvinic ears!

The Great Commandment

34But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38This is the great and first commandment. 39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

So to put it to rest, about what God commands, here it is. So no matter what you say, here it is. Now, in regards to Synergy, you again have it incorrect. I will provide excerpts to what Synergism is:

1) Theologically, synergism is the belief that salvation requires a combination of divine grace and conscious human agency. Synergism is a characteristic of the Orthodox and Roman Catholic religious traditions. Synergism is espoused in Arminian Protestant theology.

2) In Christian theology, synergism is the position of those who hold that salvation involves some form of cooperation between divine grace and human freedom. It stands opposed to monergism, a doctrine most commonly associated with the Lutheran and Reformed Protestant traditions, whose soteriologies have been strongly influenced by the North African bishop and Latin Church Father Augustine of Hippo (354–430). Lutheranism, however, confesses a monergist salvation and synergist damnation (see below). Synergism is upheld by the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches, and by the Methodist and Pentecostal traditions of Protestantism. It is an integral part of Arminian theology.

Synergism and semipelagianism each teach some collaboration in salvation between God and man, but semipelagian thought teaches that the beginning half of faith is an act of human will. The Council of Orange (529), Lutheran Formula of Concord (1577), and other local councils each condemned semipelagianism as heresy.

The Reformed Faith believes that Salvation is of the Lord (Jonah 2:9). God made a Covenant with Adam & Eve, and Abraham, on what God "WILL DO" to save His people from sin, death and damnation. That He will destroy Satan and His evil kingdom, on the Cross! This is all of God's doing, not ours! Am I denying good works or an repentant life? No, this is what you are overlooking.
You have the means and the ends reversed, my Friend...
The Law is but one MEANS of becoming God-like...
And you must remember, God IS Love...
That is why the Law cannot Perfect the person...

Arsenios, I understand what you are saying. But you have it reversed my friend. Here's an example for you to hopefully read and understand. Why did God give the commandments to Israel? Think before you reply.
But it CAN DISCIPLE that person...
The Jews needed but to believe in Christ in order to be perfected by God...
The Gentiles needed the discipling of the Faith of Christ for the same...
That is why Christ is recorded in Scripture, in the Great Commission, when He instructs His Apostles:
Go, DISCIPLE all the Nations...
TEACHING them all that I have commanded you...
To be carefully OBSERVING...
And BAPTIZING them...

(my literal, and rather wooden, translation)

You say to be Perfected by God. The Reformed Faith believes that we are Perfect in Christ, because He is Perfect. That's the difference.
Your point was that GOD DEMANDS US TO BE PERFECTLY HOLY... That is what you said... If you didn't mean that, then OK, we can move on... But I think you agree with my CAPS...
Okay, I will try to water it down so that you can understand it. When God gave the commandments to Israel, they swore to God all of this we will do. Paul says in Galatians that they had to keep the whole Law to live. And if you break one of these, you break all of them. But no flesh will be justified through the Law, because we are 'ALREADY' condemned under the Law for sin. That's why Christ became a curse for us! To free us from its curse. But you make no mention about this. Like the Pelagians you believe people are good, and God loves them, so it does not matter if we break the Law. Because essentially God is Love and nobody goes to eternal punishment for any crimes.

You make no mention of what God did for US in CHRIST, because He loves us! It all now depends on what I do??? How did that play out with Adam? We need a Merciful Savior to save us from this plight, and not just save us halfway, but all the way!

God commands us to love - He does NOT DEMAND that we love... Nowhere does He DEMAND that we BE Holy... Show me chapter and verse for THAT!
You like to split hair don't you? I googled synonyms for command here you go.

synonyms
order · instruction · directive · direction · commandment · injunction · decree · edict · demand · stipulation · requirement · exhortation · bidding · request
For God??? We do not repent for God's sake... We repent for OUR sake... And you may trust me when I tell you that God KNOWS when we are repentant enough for Him to extend His Grace to us...
Repent of what???????????

Of course He does, yet that "punishment" is itself a great Mercy done out of His flagrant Love for mankind...

Finally you admit there is punishment against sin. One step closer. Now explain God's wrath against sin, please.
The Gospel IS the Gospel of repentance unto Grace...
I beg to differ. The Gospel of Grace is what God did in Christ for the ungodly. We repent because we are NOW made alive in Christ through Faith.
By fulfilling the Law of Moses Christ opened the Way to man's entry into the Kingdom of Heaven...

Christ IS the Kingdom of Heaven...
Why did Christ fulfill the Law of Moses?
I love your faith, Bro, but I see a ton of unrepentant believers claiming faith...
Well, I will not judge anyone, because I condemn myself. Instead of us judging others, let's help them. Pray for them, teach them, show them. Proclaim the Law & Gospel with them. Lift them up, instead of kicking them when they are down. We all sin, brother. We all stumble along the way. But Christ who is our Savior and died for us! Lifts us up, because of His Gracious Love for us. Knowing that even these sins as believers; He died for those too! Am I denying being Repentant here? We need to help them through Love, my brother! By Grace Alone we stand us in Christ
Turning to Christ in this fallen life is always an effort...
Turning away from evil in this fallen life is always an effort...
Praise be to our Father in heaven, who saves the ungodly in His Son for accomplished His Father's will, in saving His people from their sins. Christ final words on the Cross, was, "It Is Finished"!!! He fulfilled the Covenant of Grace.

What is the Covenant of Grace?
Reformed Christians speak of Scripture as the unfolding drama of God’s covenant of grace. We do this because the apostle Paul speaks of the Israelites, saying, “To them belong … the covenants” (Rom. 9:5). The Bible is a covenantal story, and one that Paul, again, describes as “the covenants of promise” (Eph. 2:12).

The essence of the covenant of grace is the same throughout the Old and New Testaments—God saves sinners by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone. But its historical administration has varied by time and place. For example, the covenant of grace widened from the Old Testament to the New Testament, as it was administered first with small families (e.g., the families of Noah and Abram), then with the nation of Israel, but now with the church, which is made up of people “from every tribe and language and people and nation” (Rev. 5:9). Also, it was administered in the Old Testament through what the New Testament authors describe as “types” and “shadows” (Heb. 8:5; 10:1), such as sacrifices, the priesthood, and the temple, all of which pointed to their reality, Jesus Christ (e.g., Col. 2:17).

The Reformed creeds and confessions express the continuity of God’s covenant of grace despite its many historical variations. For instance, the Heidelberg Catechism says: “… God himself first revealed [it] in Paradise, [and] afterwards [it was] proclaimed by the holy Patriarchs and Prophets, and foreshadowed by the sacrifices and other ceremonies of the law, and finally fulfilled in his well-beloved Son” (Q&A 19). This means the Bible is one story of the gospel, which God has spoken “in many times and in many ways” (Heb. 1:1), whether in Paradise to Adam; during the days of the patriarchs, such as Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses; through the ministry of the prophets, such as Isaiah, Jeremiah, Hosea, and Joel; or through the ceremonies of the Levitical sacrifices. All of this came to fruition in Jesus Christ.

Likewise, while recognizing the variations in the administration of the covenant of grace between the Old and New Testaments, the Westminster Confession of Faith affirms the continuity of the covenant in the promise of Christ and His fulfillment of it:

This covenant was differently administered in the time of the law and in the time of the gospel: under the law it was administered by promises, prophecies, sacrifices, circumcision, the paschal lamb, and other types and ordinances delivered to the people of the Jews, all fore-signifying Christ to come, which were for that time sufficient and efficacious, through the operation of the Spirit, to instruct and build up the elect in faith in the promised Messiah, by whom they had full remission of sins, and eternal salvation; and is called the Old Testament. Under the gospel, when Christ the substance was exhibited, the ordinances in which this covenant is dispensed are the preaching of the word and the administration of the sacraments of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper; which, though fewer in number, and administered with more simplicity and less outward glory, yet in them, it is held forth in more fullness, evidence, and spiritual efficacy, to all nations, both Jews and Gentiles; and is called the New Testament. There are not, therefore, two covenants of grace differing in substance, but one and the same under various dispensations. (7.5-6)

When our Lord Jesus Christ was born, lived, died, and was raised from the grave, the covenant of grace reached its zenith in what the Bible calls “the new covenant” (Jer. 31:31; Luke 22:20; 1 Cor. 11:25; 2 Cor. 3:6; Heb. 8:8, 13; 9:15; 12:24). Under the covenant of grace, Christ accomplished what Adam failed to do in the covenant of works, so we receive grace:

Man’s work faileth, Christ’s availeth;
He is all our righteousness;
He, our Savior, has forever
Set us free from dire distress.
Through His merit we inherit
Light and peace and happiness.(Praise the Savior)
What you call the hamster's exercise wheel Paul calls "persevering to the end" that we SHALL be saved...

The Peace of Christ is Joy amidst afflictions...

Arsenios

The hamster wheel is what people tell you do to be saved. Its a constant checking to see if you have done enough to be saved. Its a checking hour by hour, minute by minute to see if you have done enough to maintain your Salvation through Love or repentance. This is not the good news for sinners or believers! There is no hope or assurance here! Only despair and hopelessness, because we will never have enough Love or repentance to save ourselves or maintain our Salvation.

We Persevere because of Christ. Of who He is, and what He accomplished for us! He is our Hope; Our Assurance; Our Justification; Our Sanctification; Our Salvation! Here we can stand assured that Christ has saved us from our sins. Trusting in what God Promised Adam & Eve, and Abraham what He will do for us! In God and His Word we can rest assured that we ARE SAVED, NOW IN CHRIST!

We Persevere in Christ and what He has done and finished on the Cross for the ungodly!

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Justification by Faith — Out of Date?
Benjamin B. Warfield

19pg09.gif

Sometimes we are told that Justification by Faith is "out of date." That would be a pity, if it were true. What it would mean would be that the way of salvation was closed and "no thoroughfare" nailed up over the barriers. There is no justification for sinful men except by faith. The works of a sinful man will, of course, be as sinful as he is, and nothing but condemnation can be built on them. Where can he get works upon which he can found his hope of justification, except from Another? His hope of Justification, remember — that is, of being pronounced righteous by God. Can God pronounce him righteous except on the ground of works that are righteous? Where can a sinful man get works that are righteous? Surely, not from himself; for, is he not a sinner, and all his works as sinful as he is? He must go out of himself, then, to find works which he can offer to God as righteous. And where will he find such works except in Christ? Or how will he make them his own except by faith in Christ?

Justification by Faith, we see, is not to be set in contradiction to justification by Works. It is set in contradiction only to justification by our Own Works. It is justification by Christ's Works. The whole question, accordingly, is whether we can hope to be received into God's favor on the ground of what we do ourselves, or only on the ground of what Christ does for us. If we expect to be received on the ground of what we do ourselves — that is what is called Justification by Works. If on the ground of what Christ has done for us — that is what is meant by Justification by Faith. Justification by Faith means, that is to say, that we look to Christ and to him alone for salvation, and come to God pleading Christ's death and righteousness as the ground of our hope to be received into his favor. If Justification by Faith is out of date, that means, then, that salvation by Christ is out of date. There is nothing, in that case, left to us but that each man must just do the best he can to save himself.

Justification by Faith does not mean, then, salvation by believing things instead of doing right. It means pleading the merits of Christ before the throne of grace instead of our own merits. It may be doing right to believe things, and doing right is certainly right. The trouble with pleading our own merits before God is not that merits of our own would not be acceptable to God. The trouble is that we haven't any merits of our own to plead before God. Adam, before his fall, had merits of his own, and because he had merits of his own he was, in his own person, acceptable to God. He didn't need Another to stand between him and God, whose merits he could plead. And, therefore, there was no talk of his being Justified by Faith. But we are not like Adam before the fall; we are sinners and have no merits of our own. If we are to be justified at all, it must be on the ground of the merits of Another, whose merits can be made ours by faith. And that is the reason why God sent His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish but have everlasting life. If we do not believe in him, obviously we must perish. But if we believe in him, we shall not perish but have everlasting life. That is Justification by Faith. Justification by Faith is nothing other than obtaining everlasting life by believing in Christ. If Justification by Faith is out of date, then is salvation through Christ out of date. And as there is none other name under heaven, given among men, wherein we must be saved, if salvation through Christ is out of date then is salvation itself out of date. Surely, in a world of sinful men, needing salvation, this would be a great pity.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My Dear Brother in Christ, just wanted to share this with Love, not hate.

Outlines of a Covenantal Ontology
by Michael Horton​

Contemporary emphasis on participation has reminded us that we are united to Christ's person. Like Luther, Calvin emphasized this point: there can be no participation in Christ's work apart from His person. We are heirs not only of Christ's gifts, but also of His very life, which we enjoy now through the indwelling of the Spirit, and in the consummation as we see Him "face to face" in resplendent majesty (1 Cor. 13:12). United with Christ in God's eternal election (Eph. 1:4,11; 2 Tim. 1:9; etc.), doubly so in His incarnation (Heb. 2:14-18; 4:14-5:10), as well as His death and resurrection (Rom. 6:1-23; cf. 1:3-4; 4:25; 1 Cor. 15:35ff.), we are assured that one day the bride will become a wife in the marriage feast, whose reality is already made tangible in Word and Sacrament.

Nevertheless, this union that we enjoy is effected for and in us not by an impersonal process of emanations, by a ladder of participation, or by infused habits, but by the Holy Spirit, who gives the ungodly the faith both to cling to Christ for justification and to be united to Christ for communion in His eschatological life. Mediation is not a principle or a process, but is located in a person. Jesus himself is Jacob's ladder, with angels descending and ascending (cf. Gen. 28:10-22; John 1:43-51). "For there is one God; there is also one mediator between God and humankind, Christ Jesus, himself human, who gave himself a ransom for all--this was attested at the right time" (1 Tim. 2:5-6). Creation and redemption are mediated by this one hypostatic Word, whose unique and unrepeatable descent and ascent secures our participation in the new creation that has already appeared in His Resurrection.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The hamster wheel is what people tell you do to be saved.
Do you mean the hamster wheel of perseverence?
Perseverence to our very last breath?
And this IN ORDER THAT we should be saved?
Is that the hamster wheel that for you goes round and round without ever going anywhere??

OK...

Here is a little Bible Pop-Quiz for you:

Who spoke the following three sentences in the Bible and where are they found?

KJV
He that endureth to the end shall be saved.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

What does "shall be saved" mean when one has endured to the end?
Does it mean that one is already saved?
Or does it mean what it says?
Does it mean that one SHALL BE saved?

Arsenios - Your nit-picking hare-brained hair-splitter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You call me "Legalist", which I find refreshing.

You don't have to say that!
Because...
I am already praying for you!

Because I normally get called a "Antinomian".

Not a term in my vocab...

So you have it backwards in regards to the caricature itself.

I have everything backwards...
Upside down too...
And inside out...

This is why do you not understand the Reformed Faith position.

You SAID that Love is for the sake of the Law...
Because man is evil and needs Love to convert him...
I said the Law is for the sake of Love...
Because God IS Love...

If Love is for the sake of the Law, one must be a legalist...
God (Who IS Love) is not "for the sake of the Law"...

When I called you on it, you said I was splitting hairs...
So now I do not understand reformed Positions?

I can only agree!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you mean the hamster wheel of perseverence?
Perseverence to our very last breath?
And this IN ORDER THAT we should be saved?
Is that the hamster wheel that for you goes round and round without ever going anywhere??

OK...

Here is a little Bible Pop-Quiz for you:

Who spoke the following three sentences in the Bible and where are they found?

KJV
He that endureth to the end shall be saved.
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

What does "shall be saved" mean when one has endured to the end?
Does it mean that one is already saved?
Or does it mean what it says?
Does it mean that one SHALL BE saved?

Arsenios - Your nit-picking hare-brained hair-splitter

See, Arsenios, we endure to the end in Christ; only Christ. Because He endured until the end. He finished it at the Cross for us! We ensure because of Him, in Him! That's why He is called the Messiah! The Savior of the world! I am not a Savior, a Redeemer, or a Messiah! I am the ungodly, the wicked, the fallen, the sinner! He is the one who saves me from all of this! I ensure because of God and His promise to save the ungodly. I endure because I am saved in Christ now! Either I believe and trust God that He justified me in Christ or not! That Christ took my place and endured everything for me or not! That's the good new for the ungodly!

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
See, Arsenios, we endure to the end in Christ; only Christ.

That is a given...

Because He endured until the end.

You think this means that we do NOT have to follow Him until the end in perseverence too??
I will FOLLOW Christ

He finished it at the Cross for us!

No He did not - He OPENED the Way for us to FOLLOW Him...

We ensure because of Him, in Him! That's why He is called the Messiah! The Savior of the world! I am not a Savior, a Redeemer, or a Messiah! I am the ungodly, the wicked, the fallen, the sinner! He is the one who saves me from all of this! I ensure because of God and His promise to save the ungodly. I endure because I am saved in Christ now! Either I believe and trust God that He justified me in Christ or not! That Christ took my place and endured everything for me or not! That's the good new for the ungodly!

I have only met one Calvinist who was not convinced that he or she was and is one of the ELECT, for whom Christ did everything for them, and especially on the Cross, for their Salvation, and they could do nothing...

But I did meet that one Calvinist... His dad was a hell-fire and brimstone Preacher-Man-of-God... And He grew up in the lectures against unholy sinners and the delights of the Chosen ones, and he KNEW for a FACT that he was NOT one of the ELECT... And he KNEW for a FACT that he was going to die, and burn in eternal and unbearable and unquenchable fire for eternity, and he could not bear to think about it...

So he drank...
He stayed drunk...
Sobriety only reminded him of his eternal and inescapable and unbearable fate...
Then he met an Orthodo Christian...
Who told the man to repent and be baptized for the remission of his sins...
And that if he kept living that repentant life...
He would be saved...

And he did...
A very kind and humble person...
His life matters to me...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That is a given...

Is it? Because you make it seem its not.

You think this means that we do NOT have to follow Him until the end in perseverence too??
I will FOLLOW Christ

When did I say this? Why don't you quote my words that says we follow Him because He freed us from bondage?
No He did not - He OPENED the Way for us to FOLLOW Him...
He is the way!

I have only met one Calvinist who was not convinced that he or she was and is one of the ELECT, for whom Christ did everything for them, and especially on the Cross, for their Salvation, and they could do nothing...

But I did meet that one Calvinist... His dad was a hell-fire and brimstone Preacher-Man-of-God... And He grew up in the lectures against unholy sinners and the delights of the Chosen ones, and he KNEW for a FACT that he was NOT one of the ELECT... And he KNEW for a FACT that he was going to die, and burn in eternal and unbearable and unquenchable fire for eternity, and he could not bear to think about it...

So he drank...
He stayed drunk...
Sobriety only reminded him of his eternal and inescapable and unbearable fate...
Then he met an Orthodo Christian...
Who told the man to repent and be baptized for the remission of his sins...
And that if he kept living that repentant life...
He would be saved...

And he did...
A very kind and humble person...
His life matters to me...

Arsenios

So his assurance is in his repentant Life, not in the incarnate God-Man? I am the opposite man of your story here. I would try everyday to live to God. Measuring my repentant deeds every hour, every minute, everyday. Oh! the misery and pain of my many failures every minute, every hour, everyday! No matter how hard I tried, the further I sank into the abyss. Only terror and hopelessness I found here in this hamster wheel of trying to live a Holy Life. And when I thought I was repentant enough, I found only something to boast about, but no peace of conscience. No assurance or hope. I was tired and angry of this misery and vain mission!

Not until I finally heard Paul's Pure Gospel. That God found me, and rescued me in His Son! Me a wretched sinner! That God loves me the ungodly and sent His Son to take my place to do what I can't do myself. And places me in His Son place to inherit all of the heavenly blessings that Christ earned while on earth in the flesh through His Perfect Obedience to His Father's will. I am given the Whole Christ; Justification, Redemption and including His Perfect Sanctification, which is applied by the Holy Spirit! This is God's doing for the ungodly; and the only works worthy of it; is Christ! And this gift of the Gospel, Arsenios is given freely to those who believes in God who justifies the ungodly!

Now being given Life in Christ through the Holy Spirit, we can walk in Holiness and follow Christ who is our Covenantal King & Savior! You see we follow Him because He freed us! He has done everything to free us, that's where you and I differ! We are saved RIGHT NOW IN CHRIST! That's the Pure Gospel that Paul preached!

But you want to add another step to do in order to be saved. And that's exactly what Paul warned the Galatians about, and what Paul told the Israelites were doing. Listen to this:

Romans 10:1Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You don't have to say that!
Because...
I am already praying for you!

Thanks Dear Brother. This is what I am talking about. Instead of judging others we need to help them with Love, not Hate!

"Antinomianism" Not a term in my vocab...
Quick history lesson, that I think you will appreciate. The common consensus of the Reformation & the Reformers was they were "Anti-Law". That believers did not need to live a godly life. That the Law of God did not apply to believers, because they were not under the Law, but under Grace! Luther preached against this notion, and coined the term "Antinomianism". So it was a Reformer who fought against this position, and gave it its name; Luther.
But everyone, including assume this about us. So I wanted to clear this up, and hopefully give you insight into what we believe and why we believe it.

What is Antinomianism?
The word antinomianism comes from the Greek anti, against, and nomos, law. It is the unbiblical practice of living without regard to the righteousness of God, using God's grace as a license to sin, and trusting grace to cleanse of sin. In other words, since grace is infinite and we are saved by grace, then we can sin all we want and still be saved. It is wrong because even though as Christians we are not under the Law (Rom. 6:14), we still fulfill the Law in the Law of love (Rom. 13:8, 10; Gal. 5:14; 6:2). We are to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind, and our neighbor as ourselves (Luke 10:27) and, thereby, avoid the offense of sin which cost God His only begotten Son. Paul speaks against the concept of antinomianism in Rom. 6:1-2: "Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?" We are not to use the grace of God as a means of sin. Instead, we are to be controlled by the love of God and in that way bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22-25).

I share this with you, so that you can see, that we are against those who say we can live ungodly lives and be saved. Because those who are saved in Christ, will begin to live to God, and grow in holiness, because we are God's children, right now! We are saved in Christ, right now. Which is why we walk and follow after Christ who is Our Redemption, Our Justification, Our Sanctification!

20For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God. 21Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

This is God's doing, not ours, dear brother! This is what I have been sharing with you. Salvation is of the Lord (Jonah 2:9). God freed us from Egypt, from bondage by the power of His Majesty. Now we can follow him, because of His Spirit in our hearts, that guarantees what is to come, because of His seal of ownership on us!

I have everything backwards...
Upside down too...
And inside out...

Which is why I am sharing with you. I did not want to debate with you. I only wanted us to share our beliefs so that we can learn from each other with Love, not hate!
You SAID that Love is for the sake of the Law...
Because man is evil and needs Love to convert him...
I said the Law is for the sake of Love...
Because God IS Love...

If Love is for the sake of the Law, one must be a legalist...
God (Who IS Love) is not "for the sake of the Law"...

When I called you on it, you said I was splitting hairs...
So now I do not understand reformed Positions?

I can only agree!

Arsenios

Thanks for your comments here. And I understand what you are saying. Before we can even begin to love Arsenios, we need to be made with God. We need to be reconciled to God. We need to be set free from this bondage that has harden our hearts to seek the pleasures of the flesh and this evil present age. We need to be created anew; meaning our hearts and minds! Only after this can we begin to love God and follow Christ, and live to God by upholding the Law.

Dead to Sin, Alive in Christ

1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We are those who have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

5For if we have been united with him in a death like his, we will certainly also be united with him in a resurrection like his. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with,a that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.

8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness. 14For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it? Because you make it seem its not.

When did I say this? Why don't you quote my words that says we follow Him because He freed us from bondage?
He is the way!

So his assurance is in his repentant Life, not in the incarnate God-Man? I am the opposite man of your story here. I would try everyday to live to God. Measuring my repentant deeds every hour, every minute, everyday. Oh! the misery and pain of my many failures every minute, every hour, everyday! No matter how hard I tried, the further I sank into the abyss. Only terror and hopelessness I found here in this hamster wheel of trying to live a Holy Life. And when I thought I was repentant enough, I found only something to boast about, but no peace of conscience. No assurance or hope. I was tired and angry of this misery and vain mission!

Not until I finally heard Paul's Pure Gospel. That God found me, and rescued me in His Son! Me a wretched sinner! That God loves me the ungodly and sent His Son to take my place to do what I can't do myself. And places me in His Son place to inherit all of the heavenly blessings that Christ earned while on earth in the flesh through His Perfect Obedience to His Father's will. I am given the Whole Christ; Justification, Redemption and including His Perfect Sanctification, which is applied by the Holy Spirit! This is God's doing for the ungodly; and the only works worthy of it; is Christ! And this gift of the Gospel, Arsenios is given freely to those who believes in God who justifies the ungodly!

Now being given Life in Christ through the Holy Spirit, we can walk in Holiness and follow Christ who is our Covenantal King & Savior! You see we follow Him because He freed us! He has done everything to free us, that's where you and I differ! We are saved RIGHT NOW IN CHRIST! That's the Pure Gospel that Paul preached!

But you want to add another step to do in order to be saved. And that's exactly what Paul warned the Galatians about, and what Paul told the Israelites were doing. Listen to this:

Romans 10:1Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them is that they may be saved. 2For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness. 4For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
So do you think you are one of the Elect?
And if yes...
Do you thank God each day for choosing you to be one of the Elect?
And for not choosing another equally unworthy person instead of you?

See how dicey this line of thinking gets to be right away?

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So do you think you are one of the Elect?
And if yes...
Do you thank God each day for choosing you to be one of the Elect?
And for not choosing another equally unworthy person instead of you?

See how dicey this line of thinking gets to be right away?

Arsenios

Still stuck on Election I see. A Priest was asked long ago. Father are we saved by Faith or by Works? Neither the Father replied. But by the Sheer Grace of God!

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Still stuck on Election I see. A Priest was asked long ago. Father are we saved by Faith or by Works? Neither the Father replied. But by the Sheer Grace of God!

Do you believe that you are one of the elect?

IF I believed in your election, it would be my only question...

It will not depart that easily...

Is one's Election proven by works?

Or can the drunk debaucherist be one of the Elect?

And not, say, the Calvinist preacher? Maybe the one with the drunken son...?

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Still stuck on Election I see.

Do you believe you are one of the Elect?

Or not?

Surely you know your own mind on this matter...

You embrace your assurance of Salvation, yes?

If you want to evade answering the question, just say so and I will drop it...

I am simply demonstrating a genuine difficulty with your theory of Election...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you believe that you are one of the elect?

IF I believed in your election, it would be my only question...

It will not depart that easily...

Is one's Election proven by works?

Or can the drunk debaucherist be one of the Elect?

And not, say, the Calvinist preacher? Maybe the one with the drunken son...?

Arsenios

See Arsenios, your taunt about election is off. I do not believe in my election, but in Christ! I provided what Antinomianism is. Did you read it? Because it answers your questions here.

Upvote 0